Importance of looks for singers

Poll

How important is looks for singers in selecting

Poll Choice
Login To Vote
Summer3 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 13 years ago

How important is looks of the singers, especially these days when they also go on to perform live ? Do looks play an important part in the selection of your favourites ?

Edited by Summer3 - 13 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

ajooni thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
A pleasant personality helps..

If a contestant's looks or personality is overpowering..it backfires very often .

A contestant who shows simplicity,humility..is an under dog..has a pleasant voice..and is an above average singer...This combination has the best chances of winning..

and then if the singer is MALE.. and from a high voting region..chances are 99%
Summer3 thumbnail

Originally posted by: ajooni

A pleasant personality helps..

If a contestant's looks or personality is overpowering..it backfires very often .

A contestant who shows simplicity,humility..is an under dog..has a pleasant voice..and is an above average singer...This combination has the best chances of winning..

and then if the singer is MALE.. and from a high voting region..chances are 99%

Ha ha Kya baat hai ! 😆😆
Yes the singer must at least have an average voice and certain singing problems can be adjusted.

If the guy or gal is too good looking they will be an actor or actrtess too.

rajucole thumbnail
a complete package consisting of classical trained, good voice texture with sweetness and emotions beside all beautiful model look is must for a singer nowadays because they are not only singers but also performers also, in think.😊
Summer3 thumbnail

Originally posted by: rajucole

a complete package consisting of classical trained, good voice texture with sweetness and emotionsbeside all beautiful model look is must for a singer nowadays because they are not only singers but also performers also, in think.😊

Yes these days a lovely voice needs to be accompanied by looks and figure for all performing artistes. Even playback singers have to be on stage.
Also they need good Marketing Agents to sign lucrative contracts.
Rini, Sugandha n Sumedha come to my mind.
rajucole thumbnail

Originally posted by: Summer3

Yes these days a lovely voice needs to be accompanied by looks and figure for all performing artistes. Even playback singers have to be on stage.
Also they need good Marketing Agents to sign lucrative contracts.
Rini, Sugandha n Sumedha come to my mind.

hi summerji, u r right. this is not audio age when people used radios. this is now visual age, people like to see tv and video on computers. i also think the same rini and sugandhha would be in demand like sumedha and mauli.
-Aaliyah- thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
As long as the person's personality and singing appeals to me I'm fine :D
Looks are always just a bonus Edited by Simi_PagalLadki - 13 years ago
Summer3 thumbnail

Originally posted by: Simi_PagalLadki

As long as the person's personality and singing appeals to me I'm fine :D
Looks are always just a bonus

Yes a good voice is most important to start with especially for playback. For Classicals they must have the technical skills too.
But in this world the good looks, personality, versatility, education etc and connections help.

ankit_nyc thumbnail
😊 I don't think looks have played a big role for singers in Bollywood........think about all the great singers we've had........Lata Mangeshkar, Asha Bhosle, Raffi, Mukesh, Kunal Ganjwala, Kavita Krishnamurthy, Udit Narayan, Kumar Sanu, etc.......These people were not models by any stretch but they still were tremendously successful because of their singing ability...........Conversely singers like Sonu Nigham, Shreya Ghoshal, Alka Yagnik etc are doing well NOT because of looks alone but also due to their singing abilities........😊
Summer3 thumbnail

Originally posted by: ankit_nyc

😊I don't think looks have played a big role for singers in Bollywood........think about all the great singers we've had........Lata Mangeshkar, Asha Bhosle, Raffi, Mukesh, Kunal Ganjwala, Kavita Krishnamurthy, Udit Narayan, Kumar Sanu, etc.......These people were not models by any stretch but they still were tremendously successful because of their singing ability...........Conversely singers like Sonu Nigham, Shreya Ghoshal, Alka Yagnik etc are doing well NOT because of looks alone but also due to their singing abilities........😊

Quite true. India is unique as there is a strong demand for playback singers.
But it is a lot different in the west and for the growing teen market. Still basically most will need to be able to sing quite well first and looks, dressing etc will help to push the sales. It is quite the same for those doing Road Shows and record sales in the Chinese music Industry.