MR_WORLD thumbnail
Posted: 19 years ago
Zayed Khan comes in various moods and shades. He is sunny like spring, wise as autumn and wicked as a frost bite. Sanjay Khan's son is astonishingly perceptive but not preachy. He's fair but won't kill his flamboyance.
He is style, spunk and…soul.

Sipping on hot chocolate, the suave Khan talks to IndiaFM about the film he is extremely proud of. Makes no bones about being super-fond of Ash, ticks his fav co-star, touches on his character and displays some casual candor when he says, "I want to be immortal!"

"Female directors take their work very seriously"
2004 had Main Hoon Na. With Vaada bringing in pat for your performance looks like the luck has spilled into 2005. How do you like it so far?
It's been wonderful. I have to just blink and I am transported into my Lucky garb of Main Hoon Na 2 years back. Now that it is a super success, it feels wonderful but I tell myself that I did not carry the film on my shoulders. So there's a long way to go. Having said that, I feel extremely fortunate to have Farah & Shahrukh Khan think of me for the film. They are my godmother & godfather.

You were perceived as this South Mumbai urbane hip kid. But you debuted with Chura Liya Hai Tumne, MHN followed and recently Vaada. How does it feel that mainstream Bollywood has embraced you in a big way?
I feel extremely overwhelmed. I felt equally grateful about it too. Talking about Vaada, I worked like a maniac for the film. I had to put out the flame that desired to do something as deviant as an obsessive lover. That's the reason I took up the challenge. Vashu Bhagnani had briefed me that I had 16/20 role as to Arjun's 20/20. But I believe that there is no such thing as a small role. It's all about whether you can create magic on celluloid or not.

"Who doesn't like being sexy?"
And you are now sharing screen space with the gorgeous Rai in Shabd. How did Shabd happen?
Well, Shabd is a complete polarity to what I have done earlier. Vaada took so much out of as an actor that I needed a break. So instead of going on a vacation, I decided to do a film that takes the vacation out of you. Leena came by and narrated the script to me. And it took me close to 5 min. to give it a yes.

Is it true that you have always wanted to work with Ash?
True! I have fantasized of working with her right from her Miss World days. There was a belief that if you make a wish under the Milan subway while the train went over it, your wish would come true. Not an avid believer, but I did ask for to work with her. And here I am! I now want to believe that not all is fable. So during the script reading, when Leena made a passing mention that they had Ash in mind for the role, my jaw dropped. The whole excitement of working with her made my character look better.

"SRK is the oldest teenager I know!"
Shabd has a unique, distinctive yet contextually relevant title. Your take…
I agree with you on all levels. The title has a very powerful feel to it. Shabd is a very layered film. It has many parallel stories running within the construct of the extra marital plot. But the treatment is so casual that the effect is all the more jolting!

How did you approach your character Yash?
Yash was the easiest character to approach. He is the breath of fresh air; sunshine and laughter, one of those happy-go-lucky characters. Now that is not difficult to understand. But what happens when such a guy gets disappointed? What could have possibly disappointed him? That is both difficult to understand & portray.

"I am here to do a damn good job!"
You have worked with a lot many male co-stars, right from Shahrukh, Arjun to now Sanjay. Your best vibes are with…
Undoubtedly Shah bhai! (That's what he calls SRK fondly) He is my friend, guru and guide. It's not like I didn't enjoy Sanjay's company but I have been closer to Shah bhai & he's the oldest teenager I know!

Corner all the gossip about you and Ash & tell me how was it to work with her?
Ash is incredibly electrifying! I don't imagine any man not falling in love with her. Just sitting & chatting with her has been tremendous. Ash is a very grounded person and has her fundas in place. She knows to filter adulation very well. I had a great time working with her.

And that is what translates on screen...
You bet!

To be continued…

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

zayed*khan thumbnail
Posted: 18 years ago
zayed rulezzz dun be sayin negative things bout him. I LOVE ZAYED
AnGeLeYeZz thumbnail