Daler Mehndi appreciation thread.

JasToronto thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 13 years ago
Hello friends,

Way back in 1995, my brother played a new song in his car and it was Bolo tara rara. I asked him that who that singer was? He replied that he was Daler Mehdi from Patna. I was very impreed with his voice quality and singing. Next day I went to the video store and bought that cassette.

As a Sikh, born and raised in Patna, he began singing at age 6 and was taught the ragas and Shabads from the Guru Granth Sahib by his parents.  At age fourteen he spent three years refining his voice and learning the tabla, dholak/dhool, harmonium and tanpura from Late Ustad Raahat Ali Khan Saheb of Gorakhpur.

His father was a professional Ragi and used to sing gurbani with his Ragi group. Friends, I would like to tell you about holy Guru Granth sahib and its gurbani. Its in poetry form and almost every shabad of it has been musically composed in ragas by Sikh Gurus, from Shri Guru Nanak Dev ji to Anjad Dev ji, Amar dass ji, Ram dass ji, Arjun dev ji, and Tej bahadur ji. In total 31 pure ragas plus 31 mixed ragas had been used from Sree raag to raag Maajh, Gauri, Aasa, Gujri, Devgandhari, Bihagara, Vadhans, Sorath, Dhanasari, Thodi, Baradi, Tilang, Suhi, Bilawal, gaund, Ramkali .....and so on to  raag jaijawanti. There are also combinations like raag kalyan bhopali, Deepki purbi, Deepki dhakni, deepki gauri etc. Guru Gobind Singh ji the 10 th Guru collected the work of all Gurus and compiled it to gether to form holy Granth Sahib. He also composed some brillint shabads in more then 250 ragas and raganis in his granth called the Dasam Granth. Some of his shabads were sung by rafi sahib and Lata di which I will post as we go.       

Mehndi then moved to San Francisco, United States and worked there before returning to India in 1991 and forming a band. Initially he sang Afghan songs, and ghazals inspired by the poets Qateel Shifai and Firaq Gorakhpuri.
In 1992 Mehndi in a car accident, injured a jaywalking man whom he then took to the hospital. Mehndi was sued as a result of the mishap.

Mehndi eventually switched from classical music to pop, and in 1995 his first album Bolo Ta Ra Ra, with tunes based on those given to him by his mother, sold half a million copies in four months and 20 million copies total, making him the best selling non-soundtrack album in Indian music history. He received the Award for Voice of Asia International Ethnic and Pop Music Contest in 1994. He earned Channel V's Best Male Pop Singer Award, which he received in 1996 for Dar Di Rab Rab and in 1997 for Ho Jayegi Bale Bale. He has appeared in the films Mrityudata and Arjun Pundit. His success helped him negotiate a record-breaking deal with his record company Magnasound for 20.5 million rupees. He has also been a guest star on the new Indian version of Sesame Street known as Galli Galli Sim Sim.

His album song "Tunak Tunak Tun" is an Internet phenomenon. This cult following was spurred by the music video for Mehndi's song "Tunak Tunak Tun", often referred to simply as "Tunak", which gained its popularity due to Daler Mehndi's wild dancing and has led to many homages and parodies. Mehndi originally conceived of the music video, in which he dances with "clones" of himself, in response to media statements that he was popular only because of the models in his videos. Tunak Tunak Tun was the first music video to make use of bluescreen technology in India.

Daler Mehndi specializes in a type of Hindi-Pop that he infuses with Rababi singing, a Sikh musical tradition. The sound is similar to that of Techno, dance, and house music, with the folk sounds of an Indian tabla being played in the background. His popularity and the concurrent revival of Bhangra music is thought to be driven by the ease of dancing to it and a national pride in the Indian people.

Mehndi has established the Daler Mehndi Green Drive to help make a cleaner environment in Delhi. He has also donated 85 million rupees to the green drive, 12 million rupees to Cargyle charities, and built 16 houses in Gujarat after an earthquake there. He also did a concert series in Pakistan to raise funds for the quake victims. He has also helped rehabilitate victims of the Orissa cyclone and street children in Kenya.

He is a fan of automobiles, owning a Prado because of the protection it gives against the road rage and "poor discipline on the part of the majority of road users" on Delhi's streets, but hopes to purchase a Hummer "like Mika Singh" at some point.

Edited by JaspalToronto - 13 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

JasToronto thumbnail

Friends here is a beautiful poem by Guru Gobind singh ji, composed in Khyaal musical form. He was addressing God in the forests of Machiwaara after a battle in Chamkoor with the army of Aurangzeb.

it starts at time 1:03, Mitar piyaree nu, haal mureda da kaina.
Rafi sahib sang it in his magic voice for film Nanak Naam Jaahaj hai 

another composition by Guru Gobind Singh ji, in Raag Ramkali,  sung by Aasha ji in 1971

Edited by JaspalToronto - 13 years ago
esseesse thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
JTji! satsriakal!

The mid 90s had the nation go crazy over him and his simple punjabi pop. His first albums are still a pleasure to listen.
JasToronto thumbnail
Namaskar my friend Sid!

thats true, his songs and videos still make people crazy in Parties. One of my Romanian friend was telling me that in Romania each and every restaurant used to play his songs in late nineties.😉
mr.ass thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
his voice is soooooo powerful!
xobile thumbnail
Daler is my favourite judge on the show! He's one of the reasons why I'm watching the show!

Malaysian_Girl thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2

Originally posted by: JaspalToronto

Friends here is a beautiful poem by Guru Gobind singh ji, composed in Khyaal musical form. He was addressing God in the forests of Machiwaara after a battle in Chamkoor with the army of Aurangzeb.

it starts at time 1:03, Mitar piyaree nu, haal mureda da kaina.
Rafi sahib sang it in his magic voice for film Nanak Naam Jaahaj hai 

another composition by Guru Gobind Singh ji, in Raag Ramkali,  sung by Aasha ji in 1971

Waheguru.

thank you so much Jaspal for creating this thread.I also do keertan and whatever Shabad sang from Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji always touches to the core of our soul and the meaning is very deep.

Dhan Dhan Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji.

Gurkirpa.

Aakal Sahaie.

God bless.

with best wishes,
Malaysiangirl
Edited by malaysiangirl - 13 years ago
shalini01 thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Hi Jas😊 i love Daler and his songs. his voice is just sooo powerful and 😍. i especially love bolo tara rara. i always shake a leg when i hear it. 😆
JasToronto thumbnail
@ malaysiangirl,

Waheguru ji,

thanks for your beautiful post, nice to know that you can also sing Gurbani.Your parents must be proud of you and keep on practising as its way of life. My wife also sings and so do I, but she is a better singer than me. She has been singing since her school days but I learnt music very late in my life. Our kids use to sing in the temple but they quit a couple of years ago when they were in the high school.
Daler Mehndi also started from Gurbani singing but later did well in pop music.😊

good luck and God bless, aakal sahaie.
Malaysian_Girl thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2

Originally posted by: JaspalToronto

@ malaysiangirl,

Waheguru ji,

thanks for your beautiful post, nice to know that you can also sing Gurbani.Your parents must be proud of you and keep on practising as its way of life. My wife also sings and so do I, but she is a better singer than me. She has been singing since her school days but I learnt music very late in my life. Our kids use to sing in the temple but they quit a couple of years ago when they were in the high school.
Daler Mehndi also started from Gurbani singing but later did well in pop music.😊

good luck and God bless, aakal sahaie.

Waheguruji.....Actually i started learning when i was 19th years old after i become amrithari.It has been 9 years learning keertan.my parents are not amrithari and they born in malaysia but with mahraj kirpa they allow me to learn gatka ,gurmukhi,keertan and sehaj path.

I am crazy of good singing and I always get attached to singing which touches to the core of our heart which has so much of purity.

Anyways , I am happy to see Dalerji in the show.He been to malaysia too and did keertan in one our gurudwara here.

God bless.

Gurkirpa.Aakal sahaie

with best wishes,
Malaysiangirl