dormantdreams thumbnail
Posted: 13 years ago

But MTV VJ Cyrus Sahukar transcended on to the big screen last year with Delhi 6. And now, he is all set to entertain the audiences again with Abhay Deol and Sonam Kapoor-starrer Aisha, in which he plays the role of a rich Delhi boy. Speaking to Metrolife on the project, Cyrus explains his love for comedy and the amount of preparations he had to undertake for the role.

"Aisha releases on my birthday — August 6," he starts off the conversation. "I am very happy with the results. Every film is all about the experiences you have had and the friends you have made, and with Aisha, I learnt a lot." Driving was one of the few things Cyrus learnt. "It was only after six months into signing the film, that I suddenly the character drives a lot," he exclaims. According to Cyrus, he is one of the worst drivers ever. "My top speed is 21 kms," he laughs.

And it's not just a car that he had to drive. "I had to ride a horse for a scene too. So for three months, I would drive a car in the mornings, then get down from it and sit on a horse," he jokes.

And playing the son of a rich sweets' shop owner, Cyrus read up on the various North Indian food chains too. He says, "The movie is an adaptation of Jane Austen's Emma. It is about the rich upper class of Delhi. My character is not intentionally funny."

He cherishes the moments he spent in Rishikesh while shooting for the film. "I spent a lot of time with Abhay in Rishikesh and am a big fan of his. We used to hang out at a German cafe and have coffee and cakes and chat about life. He is an artistic personality. So he would have been creative even if he was working in a bank," he smiles.

Cyrus has worked with Sonam before in Delhi 6. "She is a gracious and talented actress. I like the way she works," he notes. The cast even went on a white water rafting trip for the film. "The camera would be set on the boat, and would topple every time as Sonam and Ira (Dubey) weren't rowing properly."

The VJ-turned-actor has signed a couple of projects, but isn't willing to reveal much about them. He is also producing shows for MTV and writing a mockumentary series for television, parts of which are inspired from his life.

"It's sad that despite such a large population, our comedy is just of one kind." He adds, "And someday, if I am lucky, I want to go to different schools and pick up kids, who are funny, and create a podium for them."