Views

Users

Frequent Posters

gardes thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Fascinator 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 13 years ago

Originally posted by: rajsri

Gardes ... thanks for the wonderful post

Dev/Abhay reciting the mantra was the best part of the episode for me ...

You are right in that sanskrit is a beautiful language and is hard to translate ... - also know that you have been watching only sporadically but since you have done a great job of it in the past, was hoping you would do the translation this time too 😊

Thanks, Rajsri.  Your saying this means a lot to me.  It seems some of the forumers were looking for the translation.  Now that I am into it more, I feel that any attempt to translate something written in Sanskrit, kills it for me.  It is such a beautiful language once you get the hang of it.

My first experience was in BG chapter 1 when Arjun sees his own (evil) brothers on the battlefield and the thought of war with them gets him anxious and he says:

Sidanti mama gaatraani, mukham cha parishushyati
Vepathush cha sharire mein, roma harshash cha jaayate
Gaandivam sraunsate hastat tvak chaiva paridaihyate
Na cha shaknomy avasthatum bhramativa cha me manah

My extremities (limbs) feel weak and my mouth is parched
I tremble and I have goose bumps
My (bow) Gandiva slips from my hand and my skin burns
I can no longer toleratre it, my mind is reeling

Which of the two sounds beautiful?  Sanskrit, hands down for me!
Edited by gardes - 13 years ago
Angie12 thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2

Originally posted by: gardes

</div>

Thanks, Rajsri. Your saying this means a lot to me. It seems some of the forumers were looking for the translation. Now that I am into it more, I feel that any attempt to translate something written in Sanskrit, kills it for me. It is such a beautiful language once you get the hang of it.

My first experience was in BG chapter 1 when Arjun sees his own (evil) brothers on the battlefield and the thought of war with them gets him anxious and he says:

Sidanti mama gaatraani, mukham cha parishushyati
Vepathush cha sharire mein, roma harshash chajaayate

Gaandivam sraunsate hastat tvak chaiva paridaihyate

Na cha shaknomy avasthatum bhramativa cha me manah

My extremities (limbs) feel weak and my mouth is parched

I tremble and I have goose bumps

<div>My (bow) Gandiva slips from my hand and my skinburns
I can no longer toleratre it, my mind is reeling

Which of the two sounds beautiful? Sanskrit, hands down for me!

Gardes,

I have to agree that Sanskrit is most beautiful language. My mother has a masters in it and she urged us to take it in High School. I took it over Hindi only (after 8th grade: the choice was Hindi, Panjabi or Sanskrit) because you could get 100% in Sanskrit. It was only after I left the school that I started appreciating the language for its beauty. Few years ago, one of my friends got me all Kalidas novels and poetry in Sanskrit with translation for each verse in Hindi. Sanskrit verses were so beautiful and the Hindi translation was quite bland in front of it.
Bluebird10 thumbnail
thanks gardes amazing translation. bravo!
gardes thumbnail

Originally posted by: laxmis

Thank You very much gardes for the posting the mantra and the meaning. I was actually searching for this shloka at this moment on the internet and am glad I found your post.

Laxmi, you are welcome.  I did the legwork for you, so you could enjoy and appreciate the shloks.  They would have been a bit hard to find because Abhay/Dev recites them with just a slight variation.

gardes thumbnail

Originally posted by: radha_bilahari

Vow Gardes!  Enjoyed reading your post as always.  Being a sanskrit student the meaning was not difficult to understand and the language is truly beautiful.

The second issue is according to me too this mantra was not whispered in Dev's ears at all.  The mahantji who conducted Dev's Rajyabhishek was not the same one.  One of the many bloopers. 

Thanks, Radha.  I hope I did a good enough job in quoting the shlok and providing the translation.  Now I know where to go if I have a question!

You should not have said anything.....  You just found yourself a new chela!  πŸ˜†

And I was joking about the RP segment.  I did not even need to look at the old episode.  I KNEW the CVs made that up!  They must think we are silly viewers, what do we know?  Hum sab ko gadhe samajhte honge!!!!!!!!!!
gardes thumbnail

Originally posted by: chalhov

Grades wise lady that was really lovely to read themantra and the meaning and at the point of repeating what has already been said  Avinash did a fantastic job of reciting it and CVs did goofup the Sr Rp did not wispher any mantra to DevπŸ˜†.

Thanks, Chalhov.  I bow to you!  Agree on all counts to what you said.  We all kniow that the CVs are full of themselves, thinking who is going to remember?  Making things up as they go along......!
gardes thumbnail

Originally posted by: why3

They have been doing that ever since ONS track. The Mahant could easily have said that a RP teaches each of kid an unique mantra (say during janau ceremony) which is only known to them and that wouldn't have contradicted the history.

Why, with this little farsical episode, they just proved that the CVs cannot weave something logically into their own story.  For shame.

They need to take lessons from EK to run a show, in spite of the content of her stories!
bholabear thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail
Gardes,

Thank you so much for your enlightened posts. i wonder, from where do you get so much gyan of our history / mythology / religion? Do you have an encyclopedia inside you? πŸ˜† Just joking.

But seriously, thanks to you, me and so many other members of the forum have learned so much about our history and religion. πŸ‘πŸΌ
endeavour thumbnail

Originally posted by: laxmis

Thank You very much gardes for the posting the mantra and the meaning. I was actually searching for this shloka at this moment on the internet and am glad I found your post.

Same here Gardes πŸ‘πŸΌ ... Tks to u.. many of us didn't have to search the net or other sources to get the meaning of the shlok...
nycsweetie thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
thanks for sharing the meaning