Akshara's Column: Relationship advice

rose_e thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 13 years ago
Akshara's Column: Relationship advice

Dear readers, you must have noticed that there has been some tension and misunderstanding between me and Naitik ji in the past week. I was very upset with him. He was behaving strangely and not paying attention to me. When I told him I could not accompany him for the movie as I hadn't taken my mother-in-law's permission, he got angry and tore my ticket and left without me.

Later, when I did go to the theatre with Mohit ji and Nandini didi, he did not seem very pleased to see me. I tried to reason out with him but he just wouldn't listen. No amount of cajoling and convincing has helped me in pacifying him.

Now, Naitik ji is avoiding me and I'm also not making any efforts at reconciliation from my end. My parents are going on a holiday to London and wanted me to spend a few days with them before their trip. I called Naitik ji to inform him about it and take his permission, but he sounded very distracted over the phone and did not listen to what I had to say. Just when I was to leave, he got angry and reprimanded me for not taking his permission. He also refused to accompany me to my parent's house.

Dear readers, do you think I was at fault? Was I not being reasonable and shouldn't Naitik ji try to understand my situation? I'm thinking of several ways to please him. I know that he cares for me and I feel the same way too. It's just a little misunderstanding and I'm trying to resolve it. I want to apologise to him and sort things out. I can't live in this tension and it's evident that I am upset when I am at my mother's place.

I know marriage isn't always easy and every couple has to go through their share of ups and downs. Going by my experience post marriage, I have listed down some tips for you, dear readers, on ways you can deal with your spouse when he/she is upset with you.

Do let me know if you use any of these tips and if it works for you and also feel free to share more ideas. If you have any questions, suggestions or advice, please e-mail me at [email protected]. Help me get to know you better by leaving your name, age and city where you reside in. I would love to hear from you!

A loving reception: When your spouse returns from a long day at work, greet them with a smile on your face. Ask him/her about their day and make an effort to ensure that the food is ready on time.

Respect their family and friends: This is important and I believe in it wholeheartedly. Make sure you always keep his/her family and friends happy. Avoid problems with your spouse's relatives. Avoid putting them in a position where he/she has to choose between you and the family.

Make them happy: Always ensure that you do your best to keep your spouse happy. Do not try to do anything that will cause them pain or will end up hurting them because eventually it is your relationship that will bear the brunt of it all.

Be the first to break the ice: There should be no egos in a marriage. If you know it's your fault, then make the first move and apologise before the situation gets out of hand. Likewise, if the other person is at fault, do try to reason it out with them and talk it out so that the situation is resolved amicably.

Appreciate the work he/she does: Appreciating your spouse's work is important. Make sure you acknowledges his/her efforts, be it at home or work – It could be in the form of a simple praise for the food that is well cooked, or a surprise gift for the promotion he/she received at work. These small gestures can go a long way in making a happy marriage.

Forgive: Don't hold any grudges after an argument/fight. Don't be resentful, as it can drive people apart. Resolve conflicts completely by mutual understanding and affection.

Yeh Rishta Kya Kehlata Hai, starring Akshara and Naitik airs every Monday-Friday, at 9.30 pm.

More messages from Akshara's Column:
In a predicament
A wedding and a misunderstanding 
Wedding preparations galore!

How my in-laws became my parents!

http://starplus.startv.in/news/567/akshara's-column-relationship-advice.aspx

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters