Metti Oli Character guide

MettiOli thumbnail
Posted: 19 years ago

(or should the title read as directory of cast)?

Chidambaram: The story revolves around the lives and pains of his five daughters and eventually his. A land broker by professsion, he makes amazing money (2.5 lakhs on a single deal) but is perinially poor...that was bad, will ask Nagi to write this portion.

Guys, pick your characters and start filling in.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Siva thumbnail

Manikkam:

It is worth noting that the word family originally meant a band of slaves. Even after the word came to apply to people affiliated by blood and marriage, for many centuries the notion of family referred to authority relations rather than love ones. The sentimentalization of family life and female nurturing was historically and functionally linked to the emergence of competitive individualism and formal social equality for men and women (quote from Stephanie Coontz from "The Way We Never Were"). Why do we hear so much about the family nowadays? The stories seem to be more negative (i.e., stories of family violence and failures to properly care of interests of one or more family members.) than positive.

What is the role of a son to his mother? What is the role of a husband to his wife? What is the role of a brother to his siblings? What is the rolf of a man to his in-laws? If there can be a time- relationship curve (X-Y) drawn to represent a man's relationship with all the above family bindings, Manikkam's graph would swing between the positive and negative very often and it is seldom steady. Ideally, it can be stated to be near or just above the zero; But how often we meet people with such a graph with all family bindings? Is it even possible to have a steady graph with all relationships that form Manikkam's world?

Manikkam is a very average man, not a highly educated, not exposed to a very civilized family environment, brought up a single parent (mother) who herself is uneducated, did not have a regular job to pay for the living after her husband's death, impatient, partial, self centered, rude, loves only her children and can not love anyone outside that circle.  Result of such an up-bringing is Manikkam, who loves and hates the people not based on their virtue, but based on what they can return him. He develops relationship and friendship that would nurture his basic need for money and pleasure. And if there is anything that disturbs the ballet between his gain and pleasure, he attacks back, without considering the consequence or even he expects the consequence to be fair to him. Like this, he is a average (below average in many respects) man, symbolizes the good percentage of low income family man.

Manikkam's eyes are shut outside his family, his mother's (Rajam) well being, his brother's (Selvam) and sister's (Nirmala) well being, his business (or the thing which feeds his purse). He sees his wife Saro as an outsider-insider and he expects her to reflect his temper and mood all the times, irrespective of Saro's self pride or esteem. To top this, he had pre-marital sexual relationship, which continued for a while even after the wedding with Saro.

Manikkam respects his father in law, but is bent strongly by his love for his mother. He likes his brother, but helpless and not strategic to bring goodness into his brother's life. He goes back and forth between doing good and bad. He shows signs of improvement and signs to correct himself often, but he has to work hard on that, particularly in making his mother realize that his wife Saro is not going to steal and rob him away from his mother, brother and sister.

-Siva

Edited by Siva - 19 years ago
MettiOli thumbnail
not just the mere proximity to the problems. As Kathiresan suggested, his personal tolerance levels and his upbringing of his daughters is arguably the reason for all the misery in this serial. Your potrayl would depend on if you subscribe to this view or not.
rojapoo thumbnail
welllllll, want to pick the easiest - tubelight roja decides on Bhavani - will have more to write in future!!! right now lay back, relax and ensoyyy!! will do the profile tomorrow
rojapoo thumbnail

Bhavani - the youngest of A.kulam sisters and probably the wisest - youngest because her mother died when she was an infant and her father didnt decide to remarry and wisest because she learnt from the experiences of her sisters. she retained her sanity inspite of being brought up by the 4 elder sisters!!! wish it were the other way - then the other 4 would be little more smart and would not have demeaned women in general - sorry for sounding to be a FCP - it hurts to see spineless women. 

Those of you who have seen Bhavani in the earlier episodes would remember the innocent face - she was the school going happy go lucky girl with 4 elder sisters to pamper her - the way dhanam used to feed her when she is in a hurry to go to school and her father going to school and waiting for her outside with medicines and water when she was sick - few happy moments which would be recalled by her and remind her of the happy childhood in spite of the paucity in funds!!! growing older is an unavoidable process but she could have retained her innocence for a little longer which was not to be. C gave all the girls the same kind of upbringing but the youngest got smarter with education and exposure. The one thing she was/is sure of is to study and equip herself to stand firm on her own two feet and she has the knack of selling this idea to her father. Call it the advantage of being the youngest - mistakes made get corrected!!

The school days are over and now she is in college. The director is covering up his lacunae with this girl. He makes amends by Bhavani's attitude and statements - Like education is all important and no digressing pls etc., - but it is a bit overdone. Everytime something happens Bhavani gives a big lecture to whoever it is and the recipient is either too shallow to understand or bored by the way it is presented. One is given to think that this probably is a tactic used by Bhavani in distancing people. However,  immaturity shows in some incidents - like the time she requests the house owner lady to keep quiet about her meeting Ramesh on the road -what could have gone as unnoticed or as a normal occurrence was made big with this request!! She loves her family in a very sensible way - not blind to their faults and never hesitates to point them out.

Edited by rojapoo - 19 years ago
Rekha8 thumbnail
I pick Selvam.. will do my update tomorrow.. 😊

I didnt even know this thread exists. When did this start?? Naan thaan tube light avatar podavenum polai irukku.. πŸ˜†

Good job guys!! πŸ‘
Nagi thumbnail

hey,

can you beat it?? i saw this thread only todayπŸ˜•. sorry folks, i shall do chids. just give me a day. you all have done well. teacher avaalukkellam, muzhu mark kudunga. naan lateaa vandhadhukku mark kammi pannaadheenga pleaseπŸ˜†

Siva thumbnail

Reply for Ramesh's comment: Thanks! I think you should do Rajam...

Single parent definitely is a not a problem...it is a case of 'may be' because of the wild nature of Rajam.

Edited by Siva - 19 years ago
Rekha8 thumbnail
So Im not the only one who came late.. Naan Nagikku konjam mutalaai vanthudan. πŸ˜†
Rekha8 thumbnail
Kokarakko, if you want to do Selvam, go ahead.

I will do Viji.

I haven't started doing Selvam's character so it's alrite for me... 😊 Edited by Rekha8 - 19 years ago