Sunshine75 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 13 years ago

Only in India: The curious case of Ash-envy

Chetan Bhagat, Jun 27, 2010, 12.52am IST

The recent release of Mani Ratnam's Raavan and the subsequent response to the film has dominated headlines. I am no trade expert or film critic and reports show the film performed below box-office expectations. It didn't earn much critical praise either. This is not the first time this has happened. Last month, Hrithik Roshan's Kites met the same fate. A big film with big stars and huge expectations — but ultimately, sub-par performance. Heartbreaking though it may be for filmmakers and actors, but the finality of audience verdict is a brutal aspect of show business.

Even so, in the case of Raavan, the media tended to be more vicious than usual. It almost seemed as if there were great joy in seeing the movie fail. There may be several reasons for this, not least the actual quality of the film. But one possible reason could be Aishwarya Rai Bachchan's presence. From her choice of clothes at events to her film's performance — one misstep and venom spews out in barrels.

Throughout her career, the media has painted Aishwarya as 'plastic', an 'ice-maiden', 'wooden', 'artificial' and a 'non-actress'. This, despite the fact that she has acted in more than 40 films in Hindi, English, Tamil, Telugu and Bengali. She entered the industry as an outsider, without a godfather. Today her face is more recognized globally than any other Indian actor. If she is on TV, people don't seem able to change channel. To top it all, she has transitioned into marriage with her fame largely untouched.

And yet, you will rarely find people accepting, let alone recognizing her success. Why? Why do we, deep down, harbour resentment of our most successful people? Why do we want them to fail? It's that ugly word: envy. We know it is rampant in our society. Aishwarya Rai Bachchan isn't alone. Shashi Tharoor is another example. A fast-rising, first-generation politician, Tharoor was subjected to far greater scrutiny than entrenched politicos, and ultimately made to suffer for it. And, of course, there are several less well-known rising stars pulled down in organizations every day.

Ash is just an easy reference to address the broader issue of Indian envy. We must learn to deal with this if we want to move from our current feudal society to a talent-driven one. Envy is the pain or frustration caused by another person who has something that one does not. In Aishwarya's case, it could be her looks, her rise to one of the most famous people in the world, her wealth, the opportunities she gets, or the illusion that she must have a happier life than the rest of us. Her rise is rapid and more important, atypical of the Indian way. In India, only children of the rich, famous and powerful become rich, famous and powerful. We find it perfectly normal for children with such a pedigree to have a sense of entitlement. Starkids, politicokids, businesskids — all are seen as highly aspirational. First-generation climbers are seen as crass, undeserving and subject to harder hurdles before they can earn their place in the sun. In the US, Britney Spears became a household name in her teens despite her modest background. She became famous because of her talent for popular music. Something like this would almost never happen in India (unless she is the daughter of someone famous). We can't accept, reward or frankly, deal with talent. Centuries of oppressive class and caste-based rules have made us this way. Stay in your place, make incremental rises, but don't rock the boat. It's a classic feudal setup and it's unfair but it works. It maintains stability in an otherwise complex society.

This must change. The Indian way of rewarding the already rewarded isn't the most efficient way to tap an individual or society's fully potential. At the individual level, an envy-ridden person finds it difficult to be happy or achieve much. As India changes, we may find that the younger generation has bigger dreams and bigger achievements. These need to be celebrated and they will inspire thousands of others. If we continually want to see self-made, fast-rising, successful Indians fail, it only means we don't want our young generation to achieve great things.

The current system doesn't maximize a society's output either. At a macro level, when only the rich are supposed to get richer, there is less incentive to innovate, persevere or be creative. Protectionism and the government-business nexus is enough to protect the wealthy and that's exactly what happens.

We must decide to give up on envy if we want India to change. People's success should inspire rather than make us unhappy. If they falter because they're human, we shouldn't take vicarious pleasure in it. Don't have Ash-envy, be Ash-inspired. This isn't a new concept. In Buddhism, one of the divine principles is 'mudita' — taking joy in the good fortune of other. We need it in India, now more than ever, when we will begin to see lots of ordinary people rising in various fields. Lend them a hand, don't pull them down. There's enough for everyone. Fast achievers are not rocking the boat, they are the people who are saying this boat is outdated and let's move to a nicer, better ship. Are you onboard?

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Hit the nail in head- This is the reason why Ash, Deepika and Freida are so widely criticised whereas Star kids are made to think its their right to be succesfull. hopefully this attitude will change.

'We find it perfectly normal for children with such a pedigree to have a sense of entitlement. Starkids, politicokids, businesskids — all are seen as highly aspirational. First-generation climbers are seen as crass, undeserving and subject to harder hurdles before they can earn their place in the sun.'
pooja_l thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
i agree 10000000000000% on what the writer said,  people coming from modest BG without any famous surname are soft targets if they do even a little flaw in their performances or appearances

Will India change this attitude?
desigal90 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
I dunno...its not as if Raavan is the only film to generate such criticism.
I remember Kurbaan got quite a lot of flak, pre and post release. Kambakkhti Ishq was ridiculed beyond belief (as it deserved to be, lol)
So no, it just depends on the film. I mean Aish's previous film, Jodha Akhbar did quite well, and no one tried to unncecesarrily pull it down.

Its not liek Aish is the only one who goes through this.

Hrithik is na exception coz of the fact that atleast he managed to pull in quite a huge opening iwth his starpower. Nothing to do with being a starkid at all.
pooja_l thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
there is nothing wrong in being a star kid
the writer is just giving few examples that if an outsider fails then one never knows if she/he can get another chance

but if a star kid fails then still he/she is giving many other opportunities

like uday chopra, he is not talented at all but yet gets many chances, why coz he belongs to the family of renowned directors
yes I agree, Raavan was bad and no excuses for Ash's screetchy performance. But on so many other accounts Ash is continuosly criticised, isnt she?
joie de vivre thumbnail

First and foremost, Chetan Bhagat ain't a good writer. He just isn't. I'm sorry, but anyone who knows their writing can attest to the fact that he is a lowbrow writer whose work is catered towards the lowest common denominator. Nothing wrong about that, per se. Not everyone can strive to be Bellow or Nabokov, but I hate to see this dude run away with an impression that he is an intellectual 😲 and is making smart and clever comments. For someone that claims to reach out to the 'heart of India', this guy seems to be embarrassingly folly. A lot of his comments don't hold any water whatsoever, and he's talking bullshite. Please note that this is not a broadside against Ash, but against the arrant irrationality of this article.

Originally posted by: Chetan Bhagat

Even so, in the case of Raavan, the media tended to be more vicious than usual. It almost seemed as if there were great joy in seeing the movie fail. There may be several reasons for this, not least the actual quality of the film. But one possible reason could be Aishwarya Rai Bachchan's presence.

Really? So is he suggesting that Ash's presence was one of the reasons why the critics and audiences poured scorn? Why then weren't the critics and audiences equally harsh and indifferent towards all her other releases. This isn't her first year in Bollywood neither is it her first release. These are the same scribes and journalists who lapped up Guru and Jodha Akbar, mind. Raavan is a bad film, end of. Ascribing the failure to reasons as asinine as Ash's presence only goes to underscore how uninitiated Bhagat is.

Originally posted by: rachel.g.

From her choice of clothes at events to her film's performance ' one misstep and venom spews out in barrels. Throughout her career, the media has painted Aishwarya as 'plastic', an 'ice-maiden', 'wooden', 'artificial' and a 'non-actress'. This, despite the fact that she has acted in more than 40 films in Hindi, English, Tamil, Telugu and Bengali.

So is he suggesting that the number of films one does is any measure of how good an actor one is? Really? Sorry buddy, that just doesn't cut it. Katrina Kaif has done more number of films than Mahie Gill and Vidya Balan, yet I believe Mahie and Vidya are better actresses. The media only does the reporting, not dictate the way your average Indian/desi think. The audience can decide for themselves. Ash is perceived as fake because to some people she comes across as fake. I would hate this guy to walk away with the idea that as a audience I cannot decide for myself. It's not beyond the wit of me to perceive a celebrity the way I want to without being influenced by the media. She is believed to be a non-actress because I have not seen her to be as splendid as Mahie Gill even in one movie. She has been repeatedly acting badly or just up to scratch in movies upon movies she's done. And when one does 40 movies and consistently is mediocre, then it only means that the person isn't terribly talented. As for why she's considered artificial and plastic... Has this guy watched her interviews? I recommend Koffee with Karan and Rendezvous with Simi and the first Oprah Winfrey appearance. She is diplomatic to a fault and unforgivingly boring to arrest one's attention even for those 20 odd minutes. Maybe people will stop perceiving her as perfect if she stops trying so darned hard to appear perfect.

Originally posted by: rachel.g

She entered the industry as an outsider, without a godfather. Today her face is more recognized globally than any other Indian actor. If she is on TV, people don't seem able to change channel. To top it all, she has transitioned into marriage with her fame largely untouched.

None of which is being refuted by anyone.  

And yet, you will rarely find people accepting, let alone recognizing her success. Why? Why do we, deep down, harbour resentment of our most successful people? Why do we want them to fail? It's that ugly word: envy. We know it is rampant in our society. Aishwarya Rai Bachchan isn't alone. Shashi Tharoor is another example. A fast-rising, first-generation politician, Tharoor was subjected to far greater scrutiny than entrenched politicos, and ultimately made to suffer for it. And, of course, there are several less well-known rising stars pulled down in organizations every day.

I'm sorry, but what part of her success isn't being acknowledged. Open any magazine and one only gets to read rehashed  and cliched crap about how beautiful she is and how men go weak kneed and how she put India on the global map. When she's interviewed, all journalists do is gush and wax poetic. No person refuses that she's India's biggest female star and the most widely recognised faces globally.

Nobody wants her to fail. Trust me, honey, the average Indian woman has her own fair share of troubles to love sleep over than wish Aishwarya Rai ill. Her lack of success - or the poor performance of her films - has got so much to do with ill-will or people's jealousy as much it's got to do with poor role selection and overall crapiness of the films. Besides, it's not like she hasn't had hits at all, is it? Dhoom 2, Guru, Jodha Akbar, Devdas, HDDCS have all been very successful movies. As to why somebody who's willing to buy a ticket for Dhoom 2 refuses to do so for Raavan or Umrao Jaan depends entirely on the response and the amount of interest the movie generates.

As for Sashi Tharoor, he was a top ranking Minister in the Cabinet. And whenever top ranking Ministers  - the ones who belong to the topmost echelons of the cabinet - screw up, they're sacked. When 26/11 happened, the Defence Minister resigned, Deshmukh resigned. Yes, so maybe a minister who isn't right at the top might get less of a raw deal, but higher the rank, more is the scrutiny.

Coming to the topic of envy... Why the frick shoudl the average Indian person be envious of Aishwarya Rai? 'll be envious of a person closer to home, of someone who's in the same social environment as I am. As a person who isn't a rabid fan of any celebrity in particular and as someone that doesn't spend hours on the internet forums fighting with fans of stars - in short as a person who's got a life -  I'll have a reason to be jealous of my colleagues and my peers, not a celebrity, for chrissake. 🤢

Ash is just an easy reference to address the broader issue of Indian envy. We must learn to deal with this if we want to move from our current feudal society to a talent-driven one. Envy is the pain or frustration caused by another person who has something that one does not. In Aishwarya's case, it could be her looks, her rise to one of the most famous people in the world, her wealth, the opportunities she gets, or the illusion that she must have a happier life than the rest of us. Her rise is rapid and more important, atypical of the Indian way.

Indians, in general, tend to celebrate and lionise people who make India proud, the truly great people, on the contrary. We all love AR Rehman, we rejoiced when ARR won two Oscars, we love Sachin Tendulkar, we rejoice when he breaks records, we also have great affection for an NRI like Lakshmi Mittal. In the cases of Aishwarya and Freida, why they seem to be panned is because they are simply, not great. Freida Pinto, to us Indians, looks absolutely average. We all know someone close to us who looks more beautiful. As for Ash, it's her lack of talent and her fake accent and her annoying to death interviews which tick us off more than her beauty.

In India, only children of the rich, famous and powerful become rich, famous and powerful. We find it perfectly normal for children with such a pedigree to have a sense of entitlement. Starkids, politicokids, businesskids ' all are seen as highly aspirational.

Why then, are the most successful businessmen, the most successful actors and actresses, the most successful sportsmen all non-celebrity kids? Why is Lakshmi Mittal and Azim Premji and Narayan Murthy and Dhirubhai Ambani more idolised than Aditya Birla?  Why is Sachin Tendulkar and MS Dhoni more popular than Rohan Gavaskar? Why is SRK the biggest star and not Abhishek?

And even those people who have an eminent lineage have reached where they are by dint of hard work and passion. Rahul Gandhi does not sit in Delhi and win elections. Not every star kid is a star. Ranbir Kapoor isn't adjudged a good actor only because his father is Rishi Kapoor. You have to give credit where credit's due.

First-generation climbers are seen as crass, undeserving and subject to harder hurdles before they can earn their place in the sun. In the US, Britney Spears became a household name in her teens despite her modest background. She became famous because of her talent for popular music. Something like this would almost never happen in India (unless she is the daughter of someone famous). We can't accept, reward or frankly, deal with talent. Centuries of oppressive class and caste-based rules have made us this way. Stay in your place, make incremental rises, but don't rock the boat. It's a classic feudal setup and it's unfair but it works. It maintains stability in an otherwise complex society.

Jesus. If he wants to talk about a nobody making it big, why not name the more topical and currently in demand Gaga than a has-been like Britney? Lol, that notwithstanding, I think I've mentioned the names of a plethora of artists from various different fields whohave made it on their own. Mohd Rafi and Udit Narayan and Sonu are singers who didn't have famous parents.

Don't have Ash-envy, be Ash-inspired.

Inspired to do what? To giggle loads and paint a picture of perfection about myself.? I'll pass that, thanks. 😛 Sorry buddy, I don't find her inspiring in any way. I might be inspired by someone like Angelina Jolie who use their cachet and fame to make a world of difference. Hell, even Salman Khan, who is an asshole in his own right, does some good and gives back to the world. Sushmita Sen is more inspirational. Ash does nothing remotely inspirational. Please do not ask me to be inspired by someone who revels in giggling and pulls out all the stops to be a saint.

Edited by joie de vivre - 13 years ago
ladygaga thumbnail
Its funny how people view world as just black or white. And that too coming from a writer its a shame! Stop telling people how to feel and stop labelling people's criticisms and feelings under your stupid assumptions. So if people shower collective praises then it is all nice and dandy but if someone dares to share their frustration over a rubbish movie then they  need to hop on positivity bus, how convenient. And mixing the star kid angle into this with having AB as Raavan's lead is just a masterstroke. 😆 And showcasing starkids as some monsters.. nicee!! Sorry mr CB, but your beloved Ash leaves behind any star kid in seeming snobby and every star kid in the industry seems miles more humble and down to earth compared to her, incl her hubby.. Why is hard to judge people just through their work instead of putting them behind labels?? At the end of the day it is a person's work that speaks, and nothing else! Edited by ladygaga - 13 years ago
ladygaga thumbnail

Originally posted by: joie de vivre

First and foremost, Chetan Bhagat ain't a good writer. He just isn't. I'm sorry, but anyone who knows their writing can attest to the fact that he is a lowbrow writer whose work is catered towards the lowest common denominator. Nothing wrong about that, per se. Not everyone can strive to be Bellow or Nabokov, but I hate to see this dude run away with an impression that he is an intellectual 😲 and is making smart and clever comments. For someone that claims to reach out to the 'heart of India', this guy seems to be embarrassingly folly. A lot of his comments don't hold any water whatsoever, and he's talking bullshite. Please note that this is not a broadside against Ash, but against the arrant irrationality of this article.

[/QUOTE}

Really? So is he suggesting that Ash's presence was one of the reasons why the critics and audiences poured scorn? Why then weren't the critics and audiences equally harsh and indifferent towards all her other releases. This isn't her first year in Bollywood neither is it her first release. These are the same scribes and journalists who lapped up Guru and Jodha Akbar, mind. Raavan is a bad film, end of. Ascribing the failure to reasons as asinine as Ash's presence only goes to underscore how uninitiated Bhagat is.

So is he suggesting that the number of films one does is any measure of how good an actor one is? Really? Sorry buddy, that just doesn't cut it. Katrina Kaif has done more number of films than Mahie Gill, yet I believe Mahie is a better actress. The media only reports, and the audience and your average Bob's your Uncle Indian/desi can decide for themselves. Ash is perceived as fake because to some people she comes across as fake. I would hate this guy to walk away with the idea that as a audience I cannot decide for myself. It's not beyond the wit of me to perceive a celebrity the way I want to without being influenced by the media. She is believed to be a non-actress because I have not seen her to be as splendid as Mahie Gill even in one movie. She has been repeatedly acting badly or just up to scratch in movies upon movies she's done. And when one does 40 movies and consistently is mediocre, then it only means that the person isn't terribly talented. As for why she's considered artificial and plastic... Has this guy watched her interviews? I recommend Koffee with Karan and Rendezvous with Simi and the first Oprah Winfrey appearance. She is diplomatic to a fault and unforgivingly boring to arrest one's attention even for those 20 odd minutes. Maybe people will stop perceiving her as perfect if she stops trying so darned hard to appear perfect.

None of which is being refuted by anyone.  

I'm sorry, but what part of her success isn't being acknowledged. Open any magazine and one only gets to read rehashed  and cliched crap about how beautiful she is and how men go weak kneed and how she put India on the global map. When she's interviewed, all journalists do is gush and wax poetic. No person refuses that she's India's biggest female star and the most widely recognised faces globally.

Nobody wants her to fail. Trust me, honey, the average Indian woman has her own fair share of troubles to love sleep over than wish Aishwarya Rai ill. Her lack of success - or the poor performance of her films - has got nothing to do with ill-will or people's jealousy as much it's got to do with poor role selection and overall crapiness of the films. Besides, it's not like she hasn't had hits at all, is it? Dhoom 2, Guru, Jodha Akbar, Devdas, HDDCS have all been very successful movies. As to why somebody who's willing to buy a ticket for Dhoom 2 refuses to do so for Raavan or Umrao Jaan depends entirely on the response and the amount of interest the movie generates.

As for Sashi Tharoor, he was a top ranking Minister in the Cabinet. And whenever top ranking Ministers  - the ones who belong to the topmost echelons of the cabinet - screw up, they're sacked. When 26/11 happened, the Defence Minister resigned, Deshmukh resigned. Yes, so maybe a minister who isn't right at the top could go scot-free, but higher the rank, more is the scrutiny.

Coming to the topic of envy... Why the frick shoudl the average Indian person be envious of Aishwarya Rai? 'll be envious of a person closer to home, of someone who's in the same social environment as I am. As a person who isn't a rabid fan of any celebrity in particular and as someone that doesn't spend hours on the internet forums fighting with fans of ther stars - in short as a person who's got a life -  I'll have a reason to be jealous of my colleagues and my peers, not a celebrity, for chrissake. 🤢

Indians, in general, tend to celebrate and lionise people who make India proud, the truly great people, on the contrary. We all AR Rehman, we love Sachin Tendulkar, we also have great affection for an NRI like Lakshmi Mittal. In the cases of Aishwarya and Freida, why they seem to be panned is because they are simply, not great. Freida Pinto, to us Indians, looks absolutely average. We all know someone close to us who looks more beautiful. As for Ash, it's her lack of talent and her fake accent and her annoying to death interviews which tick us off more than her beauty.

Why then, are the most successful businessmen, the most successful actors and actresses, the most successful sportsmen all non-celebrity kids? Why is Lakshmi Mittal and Azim Premji and Narayan Murthy and Dhirubhai Ambani more idolised than Adirya Birla and Ratan Tata?  Why is Sachin Tendulkar and Dhoni more popular than Rohan Gavaskar? Why is SRK the biggest star and not Abhishek?

And even those people who have an eminent lineage have reached where they are by dint of hard work and passion. Rahul Gandhi does not sit in Delhi and win elections. Ranbir Kapoor isn't adjudged a good actor only because his father is Rishi Kapoor. You have to give credit where credit's due.

Jesus. If he wants to talk about a nobody making it big, why not name the more topical and currently in demand Gaga than a has-been like Britney? Lol, that notwithstanding, I think I've mentioned the names of a plethora of artists from various different fields whohave made it on their own. Mohd Rafi and Udit Narayan and Sonu are singers who didn't have famous parents.

Inspired to do what? To giggle loads and paint a picture of perfection about myself.? I'll pass that, thanks. 😛 Sorry buddy, I don't find her inspiring in any way. I might be inspired by someone like Angelina Jolie who use their cachet and fame to make a world of difference. Hell, even Salman Khan, who is an asshole in his own right, does some good and gives back to the world. Sushmita Sen is more inspirational. Ash does nothing remotely inspirational. Please do not ask me to be inspired by someone who revels in giggling and pulls out all the stops to be a saint.

And I quote AWESOMENESS!! 👏
desigal90 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
Damn, tackled every point to the T!
Dont need to say more!
1 2 3
Next
Chetan Bhagat Thumbnail

Chetan Bhagat