Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Angel-Jot thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 6
Posted: 11 years ago
After speaking to the channel moderator, Radha, we've decided, no. There will not be a Hall Of Shame thread. The reason for that is that thread can lead to many issues such as personal attacks. Dealing with rules that are broken is our job and we will do it in a way that is proper. We don't want to have to deal with members personally attacking others. That's just more work for us.

Also, we've decided that members that plagiarize for the first time [no matter what amount] will get a warning level raise and the thread will be temporarily locked for 3 days. Members that continue to plagiarize, will get a temporary ban for a week plus the trashing of the thread[s]. But it all depends on the severity of the situation. The more plagiarism done by the member, the harsher the consequences. And plus, when we take action, we do it publicly so members find out anyway. What's the need for a Hall of Shame? Please do be aware however, that we need to speak to the GMs about the banning yet. Once, it's confirmed, we'll let you know.

And, honestly guys, when the complaint for 'Hopeless Lover' was posted... neither of you had any reason to go and post at the thread. I was going to go and deal with it anyway. =/ It states in the main post of this thread very clearly that once the complaint is posted, members need to back off. This is a first and last warning to you guys for that. I won't tolerate that again. Please just let us do our job efficiently.
Angel-Jot thumbnail
Oh and someone asked about advertising the Writer to Writer thread in other show forums? Uh, does someone want to go do that? rofl Or do i have to contact the mods of certain forums and do that myself? XD
Krani thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Engager 4 Thumbnail + 9

Originally posted by: Angel-Jot.

After speaking to the channel moderator, Radha, we've decided, no. There will not be a Hall Of Shame thread. The reason for that is that thread can lead to many issues such as personal attacks. Dealing with rules that are broken is our job and we will do it in a way that is proper. We don't want to have to deal with members personally attacking others. That's just more work for us.

Also, we've decided that members that plagiarize for the first time [no matter what amount] will get a warning level raise and the thread will be temporarily locked for 3 days. Members that continue to plagiarize, will get a temporary ban for a week plus the trashing of the thread[s]. But it all depends on the severity of the situation. The more plagiarism done by the member, the harsher the consequences. And plus, when we take action, we do it publicly so members find out anyway. What's the need for a Hall of Shame? Please do be aware however, that we need to speak to the GMs about the banning yet. Once, it's confirmed, we'll let you know.

And, honestly guys, when the complaint for 'Hopeless Lover' was posted... neither of you had any reason to go and post at the thread. I was going to go and deal with it anyway. =/ It states in the main post of this thread very clearly that once the complaint is posted, members need to back off. This is a first and last warning to you guys for that. I won't tolerate that again. Please just let us do our job efficiently.

I'll be honest the new readers are never aware of a writer being plagiarised. When I read someone's work I do not stalk through their stories etc etc to see if they have plagiarised. 

Also a hall of shame does not necessarily need to be open for comments it can be a list of members who have plagiarised. 
The idea is not to only get rid of the plagiarisers but to create a fear in a potential plagiariser's mind that this is not gonna be taken lightly. 

By letting the entire forum know that they should be careful of these writers, you stop other writers from plagiarising. I think this might actually be an effective tool. 

Also could you explain to me what raising warning levels actually does? Because the CuteWinks author had her warning levels increased yet she got away with plagiarising a book. 
Edited by Krani - 11 years ago
Angel-Jot thumbnail
Like i said.. when we take action, it's done publicly, in front of everyone. Even if the Hall of Shame was kept locked.. members have the freedom to personally attack the members. Some may even be friends with plagiarizers and this whole process could get very complicated. We're coming up with a more effective way to tackle plagiarism.. let us try that out first and see how this goes. I'm sure the new set of rules we're coming up with might actually be very helpful.

As for warning levels.. CuteWinks has not had any warning level raises. =/ Or at least that's what I can see. There has been none. But.. let's try out these new rules and see how this goes. Cool?
AngelTeen thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 8
I have just one question - do you have a plagiarism scale which will decide how much is too much plagiarism because I thought plagiarism was plagiarism and that's that.
BlueMystique thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 7

Originally posted by: Angel-Jot.

Jot, you really are fast to respond, and you do deal with issues very quickly. Please don't mind that I am bringing up the same thing over and over again.

I have recently come to know of a situation on fanfiction.net, where a very popular HP author was weaving together dialogues from different books to make her own story. She was popular, had quite a following, and could write very well. The only thing she plagiarized were the dialogues, which she used without crediting. Do you know how they handled that? They made sure that the plagiarism was actually happening, and once they were sure, they scrapped her entire story, banned her permanently, and informed other major HP fanfic sites of the plagiarism as well, following which she was banned from every single one of them.

And THAT is the reason people are scared as hell when they even think about plagiarizing on that site, and if it does happen, and it's proven, they are banned, no questions asked, with no measure to how much they had actually copied.

And now I ask again, why won't you ban members permanently when they plagiarize? Why do you protect them over people who are honestly trying to put their work out here?

Krani thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Engager 4 Thumbnail + 9

Originally posted by: BlueMystique

Jot, you really are fast to respond, and you do deal with issues very quickly. Please don't mind that I am bringing up the same thing over and over again.

I have recently come to know of a situation on fanfiction.net, where a very popular HP author was weaving together dialogues from different books to make her own story. She was popular, had quite a following, and could write very well. The only thing she plagiarized were the dialogues, which she used without crediting. Do you know how they handled that? They made sure that the plagiarism was actually happening, and once they were sure, they scrapped her entire story, banned her permanently, and informed other major HP fanfic sites of the plagiarism as well, following which she was banned from every single one of them.

And THAT is the reason people are scared as hell when they even think about plagiarizing on that site, and if it does happen, and it's proven, they are banned, no questions asked, with no measure to how much they had actually copied.

And now I ask again, why won't you ban members permanently when they plagiarize? Why do you protect them over people who are honestly trying to put their work out here?

^whatshesaid 

That is the reason FF.net is popular and people feel safe sharing their work because the writers are protected as opposed to plagiarisers. 
Aanya. thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 5

Originally posted by: Krani

^whatshesaid 

That is the reason FF.net is popular and people feel safe sharing their work because the writers are protected as opposed to plagiarisers. 

I agree. I'm not saying we are lenient/nonchalant in dealing with plagiarism but why do we have to increase the warning in small increments each time plagiarism occurs? It's almost like waiting for them to plagiarize. I think the story should be deleted right from the beginning. Plagiarism is plagiarism, there's no degree for it.

Banning the person would be harsh since this isn't a forum exclusively for FFs but we can definitely increase their WL to the max.

At least that's how I feel :)
AraBearxo thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3

Originally posted by: BlueMystique

When writers plagiarize they ASK or lierally beg for attacks. Try plagiarising on wattpad or one direction fanfiction or twilighted. . . They'll ruin you. They wee not lineant and THEY knew what they were doing, both the admins and the writers. No criminal is let go of, and this is a C R I M E. No offense Harjot. I love you as a mod but I am very particular when it comes to such stuff. And this thread is more than a complaint box. If we din really discuss the stories plagiarised, there could be 'hoax' comments and complaints where users tot stuff was plagiarised. 
AraBearxo thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3

Originally posted by: Aanya.

I agree. I'm not saying we are lenient/nonchalant in dealing with plagiarism but why do we have to increase the warning in small increments each time plagiarism occurs? It's almost like waiting for them to plagiarize. I think the story should be deleted right from the beginning. Plagiarism is plagiarism, there's no degree for it.

Banning the person would be harsh since this isn't a forum exclusively for FFs but we can definitely increase their WL to the max.

At least that's how I feel :)

Or public embrassment. AJ, whatever you do it is PERSONAL! The readers don't even know half the time that they're loved author is plagiarising and the HOF it deals with it well. You could just announce or discuss. Such public punishments WILL AFFECT THE AMT OF PLAGIARISM IN THIS FORUM, It will decrease it.