Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

AVKKG thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 14 years ago

Originally posted by: Pocahontas

Thank you so much for reading through. 😳....I will like to know your views on our society as well. After all , our serials only reflect what a sorry state women are in our society.

Its sad to see a powerful media like the Television and some powerful production houses(read EKTA KAPOOR, CINEVISTAS and so many others ) show such pathetic television serials and shows.

Its true that no matter how much we progress in life, some things remain the same - like a girl's honor and her family's behaviour when the honor is at stake. We continue to behave in the stereotypical manner of an oldfashioned orthodox parent inspite of being educated, and SUPPOSEDLY progressing with times.

But who constitutes society???? ITS US! The People!
Unless our thinking changes, how can anything else change???
And who can bring about this positive change??
The most powerful media - TELEVISION!
Their reach is far wider than any other media!
Instead of showing such crap, cant they show that we have progressed beyond such ridiculous and old-fashioned thinking??
It is my belief, that IF we show positivity and progressive attitude, then by far, the impact will be of a higher magnitude on the people who watch these things.

If an educated, well-known, well-respected doctor like Dr.Shashank Gupta can go back to thinking that RIDZ and SID should now get married, what does that show to the people?
Isnt the home the first place a daughter would look for comfort and strength? And what does the father do - get her married to the very man his daughter says, has raped her?????
This isnt about whether SID raped Riddhima or not, we all know he didnt.
And yes, Riddhima is a Doctor.. .should she not first find out what happened??

These are supposed to be TODAY's people!!

I dont know what the future episodes of this story hold, DMG had started out as a TODAY's show, fun loving yet upholding the traditional values of our culture but its my belief that if we show progressive attitude and progressive thinking - it will be have an impact on the audience sooner or later, and there will be change in thinking.

As long as we continue to show such backward thinking, we can NEVER move ahead and progress.

rohanluv thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Esha....

Rules are good as long as they don't suffocate a person's life. But strangely , in our society , all rules and regulations are mostly meant for women because on them stands the family's Honour.

Ladki ghar ki izzat hai lekin ladki ki koi izzat nahiin. She will live within the designed norms and her most vulnerable belonging is her honour.

Riddzie's honour has gone to gallows because of her own misunderstanding and her declaration of it to the world even when it is not true. But who will listen to her when she says it is untrue? The damage is done. And Shanky , like a helpless father has no option but to do all that he can to restore her honour. And in the society we live in - there is just one solution. Get a respectable man to cover her. ya i am totally agree wid u the socisty always do this but on the other side the boy anyone who have raped a girl will also not have any ' izzat' , ridz ( as a example) shud say in public,all this but,  butshe  shud not do such' tamasha' there r so many other ways by which she can explain her side..............
eveline thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4

Originally posted by: cleopatra123

i absolutely agree with u !

i just have a tiny objection with some of the replies here!
many of us here are blaming ridz for digging her own grave by shouting on rooftop abt her alleged rape !i understand that In DMG .. its just a misunderstanding!

but in real life situation... doesnt a rape victim have the right to stand up for herself ,tell the society that she was raped  and ask for justice??shouldn't the rapist be the ashamed party here ??why do we expect the girl to sit in a corner and cry just because the society wont think well of her if she tells them she was wronged??

forgive me if i  went a little off topic!

yes this is an off shoot of the main topic..

Please let me clarify my stand on this, when we talk about Ridzie being wrong, none of us here intend that she does not have to right to stand up n tell the society

,,every woman should have the strength of character to fight this heinous crime that puts a human in a category where even an animal does not venture..

But i think there is a thin line between standing up for the right n advertising an issue...n again there is thin line between private n public or maybe the way a situation like this shoul be handled...i felt that here this scene reeked not of righteousness but of creating a scene..we here r talking about only this particular scene that left a different taste in the mouth...
TheBlackJaguar thumbnail

Originally posted by: kritishah3

hey nitzy fab writin!!!

i agree to each n every word u said..today also in real lyf there r many instances for which women r being forced into marriages jz for the sake of so called honour of the fmly...the thinkin is still the same orthodox n conservative one...divorcees,widows n the rape victims r given such horrible looks as if they r ones who r to be blamed for evrythin...be it any situation women hv to go thru all character examinations..the typical mentality of ppl dznt change in these kind of situations..there is a typical mental block ladki ne hi kuch galat kiya hoga..it makes me sick the whole thinkin pattern is very disgustin...i get gooseflesh wen i think abt the behaviour of soceity towards women...this kind of backward thinkin has bcum a norm in our society..this not justified at all..i hope someday this typical orthodox thinkin wud change...

n comin to siddhant n riddhima's situation..

this all has happened coz of that sick woman riddhima...the big mouth shamed herself n siddhant too without even listening to sid or understanding the situation ..she cud hv told this to shanky in private too..there was no bloody need to shout in front of everyone..she shud have atleast heard sid once..her misconception now will lead them into an forced marriage... 😑 😑 thanks to her big mouth... 😑 that woman needs to knw nothing wrong happened btwn her n sid..siddhant as a doctor saved her life..thats it...n siddhant being an emotional fool once again will givin to shanky's emotional blackmailin n get ready to marry riddhima...the result wud be new round of haterd,abuses,insults,accuses n wat not from riddhima.. but yes comin to shanky i dont blame him he is a daughter's father..he is in a helpless situation..aftr watever happened btwn sid n riddhima this solution of marriage will only worsen their situation....

Well said, Kriti. Widows, Spinsters , Divorcees, Women without a man to support them have it very hard in our society - continually under the scanner and forever victims of gnawing eyes. Women have been forced into marriages since time immemorial and mostly , it has been for 'Khaandaam ki izzat' ... unbelievable. .....Because a girl has lost her character certificate for no fault of her's , she is packed off to the most respectable man available. Pathetic.

Riddhima is a woman and her honour is as important as anyone else's but only because she lost it verbally because of a misunderstanding , Shanky , like a society-conditioned father is only doing the best that he can to cover it up for her - a marriage that will cut all the wagging tongues of this typical typical illiterate society. 😑

anizaf thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 3
So true dear... I absolutely agree with you.... we are always going to belong in stone age.... people just make opinion about others without giving them a chance to prove their innocence....

But here in this fictional story i think its all Riddhima's fault... She made her life miserable herself by behaving so unreasonably in front of so many people.... whatever my issues are with SId and Riddhima's pairing one thing I am sure of here and that is Riddhima is alone responsible for whatever Shashank told her to do.... and Poor sid is the sufferer here....Edited by anizaf - 14 years ago
koolaries4 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
In the serial, it is a very typical but unexpected twist. But in real life it is  very typical and expected solution when a sword hangs over your head only because you are a woman and your honour is at stake. Humph.
And this is the very reason why i like the new DMG!! life Goes On. Period.!! Btw, amzing post!!
AVKKG thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: armaania13

Its sad to see a powerful media like the Television and some powerful production houses(read EKTA KAPOOR, CINEVISTAS and so many others ) show such pathetic television serials and shows.

Its true that no matter how much we progress in life, some things remain the same - like a girl's honor and her family's behaviour when the honor is at stake. We continue to behave in the stereotypical manner of an oldfashioned orthodox parent inspite of being educated, and SUPPOSEDLY progressing with times.

But who constitutes society???? ITS US! The People!
Unless our thinking changes, how can anything else change???
And who can bring about this positive change??
The most powerful media - TELEVISION!
Their reach is far wider than any other media!
Instead of showing such crap, cant they show that we have progressed beyond such ridiculous and old-fashioned thinking??
It is my belief, that IF we show positivity and progressive attitude, then by far, the impact will be of a higher magnitude on the people who watch these things.

If an educated, well-known, well-respected doctor like Dr.Shashank Gupta can go back to thinking that RIDZ and SID should now get married, what does that show to the people?
Isnt the home the first place a daughter would look for comfort and strength? And what does the father do - get her married to the very man his daughter says, has raped her?????
This isnt about whether SID raped Riddhima or not, we all know he didnt.
And yes, Riddhima is a Doctor.. .should she not first find out what happened??

These are supposed to be TODAY's people!!

I dont know what the future episodes of this story hold, DMG had started out as a TODAY's show, fun loving yet upholding the traditional values of our culture but its my belief that if we show progressive attitude and progressive thinking - it will be have an impact on the audience sooner or later, and there will be change in thinking.

As long as we continue to show such backward thinking, we can NEVER move ahead and progress.

Just wanted to add - that I have been living in the US for over 10 years now, so havent watched these  EKTA Kapoor's serials etc.
I hadnt even watched DMG from 2007.
I started watching from June 2009 and because of the liveliness of the show, the ease of portrayal fo all the characters in the show, I was compelled to google search the older episodes of DMG (since i didnt know about India-Forums at that time) and ended up watching all the episodes from the first episode in probably a couple of months.

I would have thought that Riddhima would be a stronger character and so would Dr.Shashank. Instead of showing them as Helpless, they could instead have a positive and stronger attitude to life!
Why believe that the world is coming to an end????
Becos LIFE DOESNT STOP at this!
Would be so much more applause worthy - to see Riddhima finding out the truth first, Shanky giving Ridz the talk that its not the end of the world - she is a doctor, she could do so much with her education and her profession, serve people etc etc instead of saying some crap like RIDZ and SId should get married. 

anizaf thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 3

Originally posted by: cleopatra123

i absolutely agree with u !<br>
<br>
i just have a tiny objection with some of the replies here!<br>
many of us here are blaming ridz for digging her own grave by shouting
on rooftop abt her alleged rape !i understand that In DMG .. its just a misunderstanding!<br>
<br>
but in real life situation... doesnt a rape victim have the right to
stand up for herself ,tell the society that she was raped and ask for
justice??shouldn't the rapist be the ashamed party here ??why do we expect the girl to sit in a corner and cry
just because the society wont think well of her if she tells them she was wronged?? <br><br>
forgive me if i went a little off topic!<br><br>

Rape victim does have a right to stand for herself but sweetie she wasn't raped.... Sid just saved her life... See I am a AR fan and I really don't want Sid and Ridhima to get married but its not about that... Its about right or wrong... Riddhima is responsible for her own problems... She should have given sid chance to explain...
PSharada thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail + 9
WOW poco. First of all need a breather after reading the posts in the forum. I haven't seen the episode so no idea how, when or what prompts Shashank to ask Riddhima to marry SidπŸ˜•πŸ˜•πŸ˜•. Yes he is going to behave like a typical Indian father who is right now thinking only about his daughter's so called lost honour. But I don't understand as to what is he going to achieve by making Riddz marry to this marriage.😑😑😑 First and foremost she loves Armaan and second she is not even civil to Sid and third she thinks he raped her when he gave her body warmth. So how in the world is she going to spend her life with him. Did anyone think about it. And why in the world is every one thinking only about Riddz😑😑. Sid's life and honour is also at stake. Why should he be forced to marry Riddz when he did nothing wrong and when he knows that she is never going to love him ever. Sid is a really nice person who deserves a girl who is going to love him whole heartedly and who marries him because she loves him and not as a compromise for honour or society. And also what does Shashank want Sid to do.😑😑😑 To marry Riddz so that he proves he is good human being who corrected his so called wrong by marrying the person he wronged. Why ? Sid didn't do anything wrong. He revived his patient who was on verge of dying. I would really hate Sid if he goes in self sacrificing mode and agrees to the so called wedding🀒🀒🀒. Damn it Sid. Speak up. 😑😑

But I have to say I am heavily disappointed in the show🀒🀒🀒. If they show that a man and woman has to marry even when they are doctors and know the situation was to save the patients life then we as a society have not progressed at all. It is like we are stuck in the same ghisa pita mentality😑😑😑. It would have been so good if they showed Riddz thanking Sid for saving her life and goes on in her pursuit of finding HER  Armaan and goes away from there. For god sake she is a doctor and knows the cure for Hypothermia but no our serial has to make her behave like a typical dehathi girl who will scream her honour is lost the moment some boy touches her😑😑😑. Uhh what is the use of her doctor degree and what is the use of Shashank's degree if he can't distinguish between hypothermia cure and rape.
Edited by psarada - 14 years ago
Sofna thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 3
Hey Nitz!!!!!  

What an awsome post on a sad reality that is not new!!!! πŸ‘

This attitude towards woman will NEVER change, no matter how much we rant, rave, progress!!!! πŸ˜­πŸ˜­

I suppose our elders no matter how educated or forward thinking they have become, their reaction will be similar when it comes to women's honour!!!!

i think it's fair to say as we are born and brought up in these societies & way of thinking our action in those circumstances may be not that different either.

My point being that despite how much we understand the situation is not as grave a is being portrayed, if one wants to live in peace after such an encounter, from society, community, as well as family, its very difficult to wipe that one smear from people's thoughts.  And it will be continously resurrected in every other marriage proposal that comes to other memebers or relatives of that family!!!!! Or if something like this happens to someone else.

Thanx 4 th thought provoking post! πŸ˜ƒ