Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Morgoth thumbnail
Posted: 18 years ago

Originally posted by: MNMS

Hey people ๐Ÿ˜ƒ .. i wish to have some suggestions from u all.

Many people including my friends, have read the book and recommend "The Da Vinci Code". Well im new in the Dan Brown genre, so should i read the da vinci code 1st or any of his other books? And plz can someone list all of his books and which book he wrote first. ๐Ÿ˜ณ

Thanks in advance!!!! ๐Ÿ˜ƒ  (BTW the discussion is pretty informative๐Ÿ‘)

Angels and Demons is the prequel to the Da Vinci Code. I read it first and found out that I enjoyed it better than the Da Vinci Code.

Here are all of his novels. Out of them all, Angels and Demons is my favourite. I also like Digital Fortress better than Deception Point.

Digital Fortress, 1998 Angels and Demons, 2000 Deception Point, 2001
  • The Da Vinci Code, 2003
  • madzaboutchoc thumbnail
    Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
    yup i hav read the book but i found angels and demons a far better book than da vinci code. the story is based on fiction and none of the facts are true. if it wud have been true then it wud hav changed history.
    i think dan brown has mentioned this at the end of the book that it is just fiction and not true facts
    Aparna_BD thumbnail

Originally posted by: MNMS

Hey people ๐Ÿ˜ƒ .. i wish to have some suggestions from u all.

Many people including my friends, have read the book and recommend "The Da Vinci Code". Well im new in the Dan Brown genre, so should i read the da vinci code 1st or any of his other books? And plz can someone list all of his books and which book he wrote first. ๐Ÿ˜ณ

Thanks in advance!!!! ๐Ÿ˜ƒ  (BTW the discussion is pretty informative๐Ÿ‘)

MNMS although .T has given you the list of all Dan Brown books, frankly there is barely ANY connection between all 4 books. I didn't read them in a sequence and it never made me feel disconnected at any point. So go ahead and grab what ever book you land your hand on first.
    Pradarshak thumbnail
    Since I joined DM lately, I was not aware of this thread. I found the book interseting coz he cleverly mix-matched facts with fiction. His presentation might not be 100% accurate, but to me seems to hold some truth in it.

In the book it states ,"Every faith in the world is based on fabrication. That is the definition of faith-acceptance of that which we imagine to be true, that which we cannot prove. ........... Metaphors are a way to help our minds process the unprocessible. The problems arise when we begin to believe literally in our own metaphors."

While going through the book I had a thought, Jesus might be God or a man, but he was for sure one of the biggest icon to change the world. His followers are known for the conservative ways. Somehow inspite of all hue and cry it has some positive aspects. All conservative teachings(religions) teach us to be disciplined, civilized.(Except for the fact they are too harsh on women ๐Ÿ˜ก ). But choosing to practice any religion should be an individual decision without affecting others.

Edited by Pradarshak - 18 years ago
    Aparna_BD thumbnail
    Pradarshak i just finished reading Angels and Demons , and i strongly recommned this one as much as his other book. The jist of what fascinated me in this book was this thought " how destructive religon can be in the hands of a fanatic!!!!" I was thinking of similar events that happened around the world recently very lives were lost over religon . Although religon can be a guiding force, a fanatic would take it to the extreme and also the religous thinkers who believe in the old conservative school of thought , how destructive such people are who blow twin towers up in the name of God and hijack a plane or bomb a school!! All in the name of the god they believe is the true god.

I also was thinking of the question the book brought up "Is God so arrogant that if you do not follow his path that he would condemn you to hell?" Is he so vidictive if you do not follow the path set by the conservatives you will be destined to his wrath?"

Read this one and it will make you philosophical about organised religons.

p.s- this book is about the Catholic Church , Rome etc!
    Groovychick thumbnail
    hehe..i was just going 2 post a topic abt this..
    ok..i've read the book and i can say that:
    -The Last Supper is meant to be Jesus and his 12 disciples but if u look very closely..or try a google image search then u will see that one of them is mary mandalin and she has goldy kind of hair..
    -It also says in the bible..i think in Matthew that 'Jesus and his companion'..nowadays..companion can mean friend or girlfriend etc..but during those days companion meant ur spouse..even though u were not allowed 2 have a spouse or sumthin lyk that in those days ๐Ÿ˜ณ ๐Ÿ˜•
    -The Mona Lisa painting..if u look closely..looks lyk she's half man..and half woman..the name Mona Lisa was actually 1st i think 4rm a roman god called Oman (sorry 4got the 2nd name )

ok..i no sum of these facts 4rm the book but also bcoz i go 2 a catholic skl and in R.E..we always get taught abt Jesus..the bible etc.. ๐Ÿ˜Š

btw..did u guys no that a lot of the information abt the church etc was taken 4rm the book called the holy blood and the holy grail..when the Da vinci code was not taken out..then it used 2 sell 3500 copies per year..and now it sells 7200 or 7300 copies per month ๐Ÿ˜›
    Aparna_BD thumbnail

Originally posted by: Groovychick

btw..did u guys no that a lot of the information abt the church etc was taken 4rm the book called the holy blood and the holy grail.

Yes and those 2 authors sued Dan Brown and lost the case this week!!
    Groovychick thumbnail

Originally posted by: Aparna_BD

Yes and those 2 authors sued Dan Brown and lost the case this week!!

OMG..really? yah, i heard that he was taken to court but i never knew that he got sued 4 it๐Ÿ˜•
    thnx 4 informing aparna๐Ÿ˜Š

zara_123 thumbnail
    i havent read it but it sounds interesting
    hmmmm mite giv it a go ๐Ÿ˜‰
    Pradarshak thumbnail

Originally posted by: Aparna_BD

Pradarshak i just finished reading Angels and Demons , and i strongly recommned this one as much as his other book. The jist of what fascinated me in this book was this thought " how destructive religon can be in the hands of a fanatic!!!!" I was thinking of similar events that happened around the world recently very lives were lost over religon . Although religon can be a guiding force, a fanatic would take it to the extreme and also the religous thinkers who believe in the old conservative school of thought , how destructive such people are who blow twin towers up in the name of God and hijack a plane or bomb a school!! All in the name of the god they believe is the true god.

I also was thinking of the question the book brought up "Is God so arrogant that if you do not follow his path that he would condemn you to hell?" Is he so vidictive if you do not follow the path set by the conservatives you will be destined to his wrath?"

Read this one and it will make you philosophical about organised religons.

p.s- this book is about the Catholic Church , Rome etc!

Thanks Aparna for the recommendation. I will surely get in touch.

All that you said above is so true. Religion is something in which we take individual pride but we should not let it go to the extent of prejudice.