BroghtUp in Abroad vs. In Homeland

-iPayal- thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 14 years ago

Hello People.

Okay, well..i watch lots of Indian TV and Movies.

Nowdays, with every movie/show that has a foreign-return in it, theyre always shown as being stuck up, rude, un-sanskared, and wearing exposing clothes. Someone who knows nothing of their homeland, whether id be India or Pakistan, have no knowledge of their country's past and are far from learning the language.

I wanted to know how much "truth" is in this stereotype, are those kids shown as they are, or is it exaggarated to an extend that, with the NRI label comes this image?

As a girl whose been brought up in abroad, i would say that thiis is totally false! Infact i would say that becasue were living so far from pur country, our parents pay extra attention to us so we dont drift away fromour values.

any opinions?

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

RamKiSeeta thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 6

Originally posted by: *payal_15*

Hello People.

Okay, well..i watch lots of Indian TV and Movies.

Nowdays, with every movie/show that has a foreign-return in it, theyre always shown as being stuck up, rude, un-sanskared, and wearing exposing clothes. Someone who knows nothing of their homeland, whether id be India or Pakistan, have no knowledge of their country's past and are far from learning the language.

I wanted to know how much "truth" is in this stereotype, are those kids shown as they are, or is it exaggarated to an extend that, with the NRI label comes this image?

As a girl whose been brought up in abroad, i would say that thiis is totally false! Infact i would say that becasue were living so far from pur country, our parents pay extra attention to us so we dont drift away fromour values.

any opinions?

Agree with you 1/2 and 1/2. I grew up in the US since the age of 2 though I've been born in India, and my parents took extra care of my siblings and me throughout our childhood and even now. Some of our relatives say my siblings and I are more traditional and "old fashioned" than some native Indians today. But it's also true that there are many who just don't care for their culture, or who's parents did not teach them any of their culturual values in foreign area, so both stereotypes are true at times. The scale doesn't tip only one way.
-iPayal- thumbnail
Hmm... so do you think that some people form abroad are like tis portrayed on indian TV, or does that hold true for some ppl from india as well?

Originally posted by: *payal_15*

Hmm... so do you think that some people form abroad are like tis portrayed on indian TV, or does that hold true for some ppl from india as well?

Don't go by how T.V. and movies portray NRIs.  Heck, they don't even portray the Indians living in India in a good light either๐Ÿ˜†  Can't be forming opinions based on movies and t.v. serials.
I guess TV shows are eating too much of our brains these days. ๐Ÿ˜†

I cannot imagine being born into a nation, but being forced to follow the traditions[s]/culture[s] of another. If the parents/guardians are so interested in  teaching their offspring about their motherland's value, why did they bring their children to abroad on the first place (unless there was an urgent need of it)? Yeh kaisi double standard hain? On one hand you would want your children to be "smart" and "modern" (which is why you are dragging them from the place where they were born), and on the other hand you want them to still remain truthful to their motherland, their desi cultures?

It's extremely difficult for anyone to follow the cultuyre of a place where they had never been. I already know of someone, who is having an extremely tough time adjusting to religious/cultural values of her motherland in a foreign country. She is not allowed to visit Halloween party, she is not allowed to wish her friends Mary Christmas, and yet she is forced to remain in the foreign country to be "modern and conservative" together.

Originally posted by: Gauri_3

Don't go by how T.V. and movies portray NRIs.  Heck, they don't even portray the Indians living in India in a good light either๐Ÿ˜†  Can't be forming opinions based on movies and t.v. serials.

๐Ÿ˜†๐Ÿ˜†๐Ÿ˜†

Yeah, it's like believing all Saas-Bahu soaps to depict the Indian families. ๐Ÿ˜†

๐Ÿ˜†
-iPayal- thumbnail

Originally posted by: Gauri_3

its not just because of that, i think because of all these steroetypes, people are believing that this is what kids become if taken away from their country of origin๐Ÿ˜•
-iPayal- thumbnail

Originally posted by: PhoeniXof_Hades

I guess TV shows are eating too much of our brains these days. ๐Ÿ˜†

I agree๐Ÿ˜†

I cannot imagine being born into a nation, but being forced to follow the traditions[s]/culture[s] of another. If the parents/guardians are so interested in  teaching their offspring about their motherland's value, why did they bring their children to abroad on the first place (unless there was an urgent need of it)? Yeh kaisi double standard hain? On one hand you would want your children to be "smart" and "modern" (which is why you are dragging them from the place where they were born), and on the other hand you want them to still remain truthful to their motherland, their desi cultures?

It's extremely difficult for anyone to follow the cultuyre of a place where they had never been. I already know of someone, who is having an extremely tough time adjusting to religious/cultural values of her motherland in a foreign country. She is not allowed to visit Halloween party, she is not allowed to wish her friends Mary Christmas, and yet she is forced to remain in the foreign country to be "modern and conservative" together.

Exactly! thats the issue most kids around here face. Being able to carry out your cuklture and traditions in a foreighn country is another story but not being able to attend any social events just because parents think we'll become modernized is soo exotic!
for example, some cant go to prom because parents think that all they do there is sex, drugs, sex, drink, sex!๐Ÿคข
Jess. thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
i hate the fact that they show NRI's as stuck up and not knowing our language

for most of us its soo not true!
i mean we're not all stuck up :$
i know punjabi and we go to the gurdwara etc.
In my opinion, the people in india are stuck up! ๐Ÿ˜†
or at least the people i saw there anyways

i think cause we're out here in america or abroad our parents take extra care to make sure we know our culture and what is right. my mom actually told me im not allowed to have a boyfriend. so embarrassing lol

i dont think parents in india tell their kids they cant  have gf/bf's cause thats just expected. I guess thats why people there are running around with their gf/bf's and their parents dont know anything about it.

and its still more accepted that a guy has a girlfriend
than a girl having a boyfriend. thats soo not fair!

actually no its true that in india if u leave the metros like mumbai and pune in other small towns having a GF/BF openly is still a taboo and absconding away from home(which according to me also is not good) is a very big sin. it tarnishes the family name forever and never earns respect to those people girl or boy. yes i agree society is a bit more biased towards females having a BF but then even guys r not spared and they ultimately have to under go arranged marriage.

and one more thing just like indians have all sorts or wrong images about NRIs, the same way NRIs also have many misconceptions about indians and india.