Movie Review - Kanden Kadhalai

MakhannMalaai thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 5
Posted: 14 years ago
Kanden Kadhalai - Love is in the air
IndiaGlitz  [Friday, October 30, 2009]

Remakes are never an easy task. It has to retain the flavour of the original and at the same time ensure that it suits the local audience for which it has been remade.

Three cheers to filmmaker Kannan for taking the acid test to do the Tamil version of the successful feel-good Hindi entertainer 'Jab We Met' and passing out in flying colours.

Kannan has done his best to match the magic of Bollywood director Imitiaz Ali. Produced by Moser Baer & Blue Ocean and presented by Sun Pictures, 'Kanden Kadhalai' is a movie that is breezy and enthralling all the way. Tamannah plays the role enacted by Kareena Kapoor, while Bharath dons the role performed by Shahid Kapoor.

The story principally revolves around two characters. Though it is no path-breaking story or has any twists in the plot, it still manages to keep one glued to their seats.

Bharath (Sakthivel) and Tamannah (Anjali) hog all limelight playing their role with such ease and cool. The USP of the movie are the simplest scenes. There are no unbelievable stunt sequences or double-entendre or mass heroisms. The story flows smooth and cool all through.

Sakthivel is the son of a rich entrepreneur who is dejected at life and decides to go nowhere. A man with few words, he boards a train only to meet Anjali, who is straight opposite to him. A girl, who loves herself the most, talks a lot without inhibitions.

She is good-hearted and daring. Sequence of events leads to Anjali missing the train during the middle of the journey. The responsibility is now on Sakthivel to take her to her home town in Theni. They come across different experiences and both become thick pals.

Interestingly Sakthi wins the heart of Anjali's family including her grandfather (Ravichandran), her father (Nizhalgal Ravi) and her uncles. But the bubbly Anjali decides to elope from her house to marry her boy friend Goutham (Munna).

She takes the help of Sakthivel. When they elope, the whole family mistakes that Anjali has walked out of the house to marry Sakthivel. But fate has other plans. Sakthivel comes to know that Anjali had not married Goutham and the fact is she has gone missing.

Now their roles reverse. Sakthivel turns charming and bubbly and manages to track Anjali, who has gone quiet and silent after tasting failure in her romance.

Sakthivel promises to get both Anjali and Goutham married. He convinces Goutham and takes them to Theni, where her parents believe that Anjali and Sakthivel are happily married and lead a good life.

The rest is all but efforts by Sakthivel to convince the whole family. But Anjali slowly develops a soft-corner for Sakthivel. Whom she marries forms the climax.

Tamannah is the backbone of the whole movie. She emotes to her best. Hitherto seen as a glam girl, she has got an ample scope to do a performance-oriented role to which she renders full justice.

Not far behind is Bharath. A complex character has been handled with maturity. He impresses in the first half as a soft-spoken dejected youth.

Walking away with all applause is Santhanam. As Mokkai Raju, who is desperate to get married to Anjali, he evokes laughter. His one-liners and spontaneous wits deserve special mention. Munna renders justice to his role. He is comfortable and casual before the screen.

Vidyasagar has rendered a mix of peppy and melodious tunes that set up the momentum. P G Muthiah's cinematography captures Ooty at its pristine glory.

On the flip side, the movie lags a bit towards the second half and the subtle emotion that was present all through in the original was sorely missing.

All said, the movie is a breezy entertainer that would find favour with youngsters.

Kanden Kadhalai - Magic recreated 

While JWM was awsome and im sure this is gonna be rocking too.. Bharath Tamanna make one of the cutest jodi's ever.. would love to have ur reviews who watched the movie.!!!! 😃

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

sankadevi30 thumbnail
wish i cud see the movie soon hmmmm

not possible😆😆 hubby has no time

thanks a lot for the review
Edited by mathi_azhagi - 14 years ago
Aahaana thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6
Gonna watch it tomorrow...cant wait😳
raaspach thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3
Thanks for the review meli.

i love the original version..jwm...want to see the acting of Tammanna..

sankadevi30 thumbnail

Originally posted by: meli

Gonna watch it tomorrow...cant wait😳

lucky gal melz😉
_Manpreet_ thumbnail
Thanks daa Pallu for the wonderful update.......

Me too eagerly waiting for the movie.......... the songs are awesome and the advertising clips were really great........... Tamanna and Bharath seem to share good chemistry...... can't wait.......
LotusPetals thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
thks Pulwasha for this amazing review .. saw the hindi version and I really loved it .. can't wait for the tamil version too !! Bharat-Tamanna chemistry seems promising, I'm sure these 2 wl rock Kolly together ..
anjkhoney thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Thank you Polly Dear😊

I got a chance to see the movie..It was nice..

Hmmm ippo time for my comments.. Adhukku munnadi.

Oru chinna request😊 .. For all those who wants to see the movie..

Please dont see this as a remake.Its better to consider it as a new movie new story. Appo it will be interesting😊. JWM stills appidiye imitate pannara mathiri posters irundhaalum complete a imitate pannanga nu solla mudiyathu.. So JWM oda compare panni pakkaravanga wont find ii very interesting. Thats what i felt..'

Bharath acted well. Shahid Kapoor ku eedu katta mudiyuma nu I cant tell but he did justice to his character.. Thamanna after seeing all the roles in KD, Kalloori, Ayan, I dint feel much seeing her as Anjali..

Anjali bubbly gal ellam okay, but many of her expressions (sp with her eyes)seemed artificial( am I the only one who felt that vacuum)..

Kareena suited that role well and her expressions as 'Geet' looked natural, Thamanna was also good as Anjali, but doing the scenes exactly the way Kareena did was not up to the mark.. 

Over all the movie was good as they took the storyline well without affecting our South Indian culture esp the 2 hugs btwn S and K in JWM (one when she was trying to escape from the goon and other one after she gives Gaali over the phone😳) was avoided here. Even the climax was neat with a Kollywood touch😊

The way they recieve Anjali and Sakthi when she comes back after nine months also, namma kalachaara padi thaan..

(My dear Thangam Viewers Namma Anjali Anna's role is played by Our DSP Senbagapandiyan😳)

KKKvin Jeeva Sir is playing the role of
Arjun( Sakthi's friend/collegue )....

Onnu mattum thaan konjam aruvaya thonichu.. Tamil movie le Masala comedy add panna they used Santhanam(Anjali's Mora Mama) ... Many scenes with him seemed like a filler to me. It has no connection with the movie.. Chumma comedy venuma nu konjam scenes. Thats it..

This is just my opinion😊..
Aadhavan mathiri idhule kooda ellarkum ore opinion varanum nu kattayam illaye..Right?😉

So please do share ur thougths once you all watch the movie😳..

Kanden Kadhalai ... Jab We Met ( Tamil Mann Vasanayoda)..
Edited by anjkhoney - 14 years ago
mellisai thumbnail

Nice review, Anj!

Kanden Kadhalai - ⭐️(Ore oru star mattum thaan)

I thought Tamanna was better in comparison to Bharath, but both of them could have done better. Genelia and Jeyam Ravi better choice a irunthirupanga endru thonuthu.😊

This movie didn't give much importance to songs. Oru song kooda ennala ippo recall panna mudiyalle.😔

Different segments ottu pota maathiri oru feeing and it didn't help maintain the flow of the movie. Innoru vishayam, Anjali oda character developementum ennamo work out pannala, too drastic nnu thonichu!

Originally posted by: anjkhoney

Onnu mattum thaan konjam aruvaya thonichu.. Tamil movie le Masala comedy add panna they used Santhanam(Anjali's Mora Mama) ... Many scenes with him seemed like a filler to me. It has no connection with the movie.. Chumma comedy venuma nu konjam scenes. Thats it..

Anj, you've summed my views on Santhanam - time fill panurathukku, no doubt!

Antha oru star is for the first few scenes with Tammana and Bharath.👏

Aahaana thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6

I second Anj and Sri. Saw this movie last night, had high expecations cause of JWM, but it was a big  dissapointment. Bharat and Tammanah have imitiated  Shahid and Kareena from the original movie, they should have used their own style but there is no doubt  they have done what they could to justify. Chinmayees voice didnt suit Tammanahs bubbly character here, maybe they should have used the one who dubbed for her in Ayan😕 Santhanams scenes were just mokkai for me😆, comedy didnt suit here at all, i mean a separate comedy track coz until the interval the main leads manage to give us laughter. Director could have focused more on the screenplay, esp post interval..until they reach Theni, the story is good and fun to watch but onces they reach Theni and story after that loses its charm👎🏼

Like Sri posted above, Vidyasagars music is a big down, cant believe this is the same man who gave us so many super hits songs. I only liked "Oru naal iravil",  i only saw that song on sun music so  I think it was used at the end😳

overall, I would have liked this movie alot  if I never saw JWM😛