Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

..Anusha.. thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail
Posted: 14 years ago

like the way you've captured the way heer is so preoccupied with her passion that time and events just seem to be so peripheral to her existence.well at least that's what i got out of this last part.😊

just makes me wonder what'll happen when heer's 'passion' changes from painting to prem. oh i can see a lot of phandoohs and pheyoohs in the distance........Edited by locman - 14 years ago
PurplePantsuit thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
btw, guys. thanks to everyone who has left comments -- especially those who said you liked the story. 😆 i am desperately sorry for not responding properly to all of you -- but i'm playing catchup after having played hooky from school. right now, all my non-sleep hours are mostly taken in taking notes, and bugging mates to tell me what has been going on in classes. never figured it'd be this tough! it's like the profs all decided to do a lot of stuff while i was on a macaron-sugar high!

i promise to reply nicely later -- till then, thank you, thank you, thank you for saying this is not all just a waste of phorum-post-space. 😃
Edited by estee - 14 years ago
amu142 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
oye hoye!!
luk who's back with an update!!
space ? forum...?? waste??
yeh kya hota hai bhai?
i think i am getting a bout of Ghajini effect!!
E!!
the forum is incomplete without u!! so shut up n stop blabbering!!
Edited by amu142 - 14 years ago
VandyP thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6
how did i miss this!!!!!!!
estee's ff!!!and i don't even know abt it!!!!
gotto read it!!!
will comment later
Anhdara13 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3
E, I only reserved spaces, you update too fast.

I shall comment, in full detail, when you are done with the FF, because God knows I can't comment properly now.

Love,
Radz

vice.versa thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Stu.  *Yes, the attitude IS my shaking my head in disbelief.  How FAR are you going to go to get people to say they like your story?  😆 Bad Rat. 😆*

But I must say: I am VERY impressed that you are actually updating every day like you claimed.  Of course, that is SO far.  Let's see how long you will keep it up. 😆

But WOW, we got to see Preet and Heer's families in the two updates.  Me likes a lot.  So Preet only has brothers?  And why are we dancing around Gayatri vs. Preet's mother?  Are they not one and the same?  With a common love for jasmine, I am thinking ... They Are?  They haven't discovered it yet? 

Nice job. Me is enjoying. Lovely stuff to do when being chased by wolves rather than sheep in dreams. 😃

But *SIGH* I want you to write the Shopian one, Stu, I do.  Pity my birthday is all over. Or I could've emotionally blackmailed you to write it for me as a gift. 😆 Can I do that anyway? You owe me, no? Something? For all that pistachio gelato that you can get to eat, but I can't?

And BTW! Enough of the weak excuses -- I want my BT,LT NOW! I mean it Stu. When're you coming home to watch the episodes?

How long is that AppMath tutes going to take, Damnit!? 😛I thought you said you were SMART???  😆

Edited by vice.versa - 14 years ago
just finished reading all the parts and it's awesomeeeeeeee............
can't wait 4 da next part............
ash08 thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail
E, 🤗 how are you?

I get busy for few days and what do I miss? Your ff. The minute I saw it, I had to read it. and man, it was amazing.👏

Gayatri stays away from her family after her husband died. LJ dies - wife stays alone and the kids flourish? Me like........ Why dont the sons come and visit their mom? Oh wait, then they would meet heer, thats why!. So mom goes. Where is heer's sister? Please dont kill her. I want her for preet.

Heer is drawn towards a structure - or is it an attraction to a certain someone? Someone who's presence can soothe her soul and whose strong arms can make her forget her worries?

I totally loved the way you wrote it. I am running out off adjectives. I could imagine the scenes. The way Heer just tried to forget everything, then gets drawn to the place, the intensity with which she works, the warm relationship with gayatri, the constant reminder of certain someone's eyes....... honey, you are very good.

From the first sentence I was imagining the setting in NY. I just cant say why. Its not so new to see people running like that or just standing by staring at things or carrying huge bags or easels and paints, dragging them along in that city.  And then I was reminded of Rome. The structure you were describing, the cathedral as heer calls it - those beautiful structures in Rome, standing as if they are dominating the sky.........

I am eagerly waiting for the next part. I hope you find some time while catching up with studies to update it.

Take care.
Love,
Ash
Edited by ash08 - 14 years ago
PurplePantsuit thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
ya, ya, i know i missed the 29th october deadline for a chapter.  how could i help knowing?  i've got someone at this end, sending out her personal army of cousins to come to my place to beat me up if i don't put up
(a) two updates, (b) all the bt,lt's, (c) the new poll at the phhandooh-at --

all before carrying me back to her place so that she can personally beat me up. 

man! we live in such a violent society.  *sigh* 😆

well, i can't possibly deliver on all that given that i've seen the shows.  plus, they are gonna land up in around 5 minutes just now.  but i can put up the 29th october 2009 chapter here.

*warning: i haven't had a chance to edit it and clean it up.  i'll do that later tonight -- if i can after all the beatings i suffer! 😆*

---------- ph ---------- ph ---------- ph ----------

ch 7: ''resonance and interference''

heer stood at the window, staring at the face of the city that she could see from that angle. a mixture of the modern and the traditional; facades of glass-and-steel, reflecting light in the afternoon sun, and the more grounded, earthy hues of brick and stone like the  brownstone she was in.

she had spent the entire morning, tramping up and down preet's favourite streets, learning the language of human-made structures. she, who was used to working with nature, towering trees, the delicateness of leaves, the colour of flowers, found it fascinating to discover the grandeur of what man created out of rock and stone and brick and mortar. how, even in the middle of a concrete jungle, there was always space for grace in how a building melded into, merged out of, its surroundings.  he had shown her the ugly -- the haste and awkwardness of the redeployment housing, the stodginess of the local community center -- as well as the beautiful -- the lovely red-brick library that stood in the steel-and-glass heart of the main commercial street, or the ivy-covered hospital at the end of their street.

all her life, heer had sought out beauty in everything her eyes had alighted on. she rejoiced in how her knowing preet had opened up one more path along which it could be found.

they had been returned to the brownstone, deep in the middle of an argument about the importance of religious places on a city's facade. she had thought the ultimate expression of civilisation was the stark skyline of new york city; he had been eloquent on the skyline of istanbul and rome. they reached the terrace of the brownstone, passing through the second and the third floors where he and his brothers lived. he told her how his father would often spend time on the terrace observing the play of light across the landscape. it was one of his first memories, he had said, his father bringing his little brood of boys to the terrace, during sunrise, sunset, and all times in between, to teach them the wonder of how light comes to the world. how an architect had to understand the fall of the light at all those different times, to understand how to design a structure to take advantage of the light, rather than to fight with it.

as she stood listening to him and looking out at the scene in front of her, heer began to understand the passion that had driven his father to try to build the ''home-of-light''. down on the street, where everyday man lived, there was so much about the light that they missed. what he had been struggling to acheive was to bring the play of light from the terrace down to earth, where everyone could find pleasure in it as well.

she had immediately wanted to run to the garden to start building on the ''home-of-light'' with what she had learnt that day. but preet had suddenly discovered that he was starving, deciding that she had to be too, since they had not taken a break from the moment that she had met him at nine that morning. he had ushered her into the ''boys den'', as he called it, asking her to make herself comfortable while he went in search of john-uncle to get them some food.

heer put aside her impatience, and walked around the room, observing it with interest. it was a large space, strong, workmanlike, and yet, warm enough to invite comfortable conversations. where most of the walls were covered with bookshelves, one side of the room had french windows, running from ceiling to floor, filtering the afternoon sun into the room. she walked over to the windows and found with peasure that it overlooked the garden - and the home-of-light.

she looked at it with new eyes. this was a new angle -- from above, she could see the two walls meeting in an edge, rising from the ground towards a ... what had he imagined, the late mr. juneja? a dome would have been too reflective of the light. he would've wanted a top structure that would collect the light, and stream it down into the main body. she remembered a cathedral she had once visited in koln, where the walls had rushed up from the floor, to arch sharply into steeples. and impossibly high above their heads, the walls carried tall windows, which streamed the light in between the columns. there too, the structure had gathered the light -- but the cathedral dominated, intimidated, making you feel small and insignificant before the power of the light.

this was a more sweet and intimate structure. it would be one that gathered you up into it's arms and held you upto the light. she wondered what he had imagined, that he had not been able to put down on paper before he died. heer's eyes turned inward as her mind started flying over the possibilities.

as she stood, still at the window, a movement down at the structure caught her eye. a man stood at the wall, marking the stone at the finished edge with a chisel. dark hair, sculpted shoulders, a lean back that sloped into blue jeans worn relaxed along a slim waist. heer felt her face suddenly flame as she wondered whether people always found it comfortable doing hard labour without their shirt on. she moved back into the shadows to try to cool her cheeks, but it did not help.

heer watched as he was joined by two others, both of them looking bulkier, slow, less graceful in comparison. soon they were hard at work, measuring, marking, laying stones, packing them in firm, working as a team, smooth and steady. and she watched as if compelled -- she watched him. she couldn't move her eyes off the play of muscles along his arms and shoulders, his back, as he started chiselling at the broken edges of the unfinished wall, brushing off the surface to prepare it for laying the stone block lying tumbled behind the wall. such power in that back, illuminated in the warm light of the sun. there was something strangely compelling and similar about the light on that body and the light warming the stones. she could not put her finger on it, no matter how much she tried. and ordinarily, that lack of clarity would have irritated her. but instead, she was content to absorb the sight in front of her.

she was not aware if she had moved or not. but the man below suddenly stopped working and turned around to look around, as if sensing that he was being watched. to her consternation, he turned around to look directly at the window above him. she knew that he could not see her through the sheer curtains that draped over the window. yet, she shrunk further back against the drapes, not daring to breathe. she watched his eyes -- those deepset dark eyes -- searching; searching for her. she watched as his buddies shouted out to catch his attention to help with the beam that they were placing above the stones. distracted, he turned back to work and was soon back to toiling on the wall.

when preet came striding back into the room, heer jerked out of her reverie, so complete was her absorption. he was closely followed by john uncle carrying a tray for them. seated at the square conference table, heer kept her eyes downcast, giving her full attention to the napkin that john-uncle laid out in front of her. she was afraid that if preet could look into her eyes, he would see her absorption in that lean male form in the garden shining like a beacon, loud, bright, unavoidable. that preet would also see what she suddenly knew with brutal clarity, that she could have stood there at that window, watching someone whose name she didn't even know, watching him forever.

---------- ph ---------- ph ---------- ph ----------
..Anusha.. thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail
okey time to get my readin chair out