Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Surya.Ravi thumbnail
Posted: 14 years ago
'Sach Ka Saamna' blinks, shifts to a new time band of 11 pm from August 11
August 12, 09

'Sach Ka Samna', Star Plus' new show which has received equal amount of flak and support for its probing questions, will now be aired at a later time band of 11 pm, Monday to Friday. In a release issued by Star Plus, the channel said, "Given our commitment towards responsible broadcasting and our unique relationship with Indian families, we have decided to voluntarily and proactively move the telecast time to 11.00 pm."

The channel has claimed that 'Sach Ka Samna' is keenly viewed by more than 40 million viewers every week and has seen the best launch for a non-fiction show in the last two years scoring a 4.6 TVR bumper opening. "The show is being lauded by audiences in India with more than 20,000 people applying to appear as participants within the first two weeks of the show's launch," the release added.

The release goes on to stated: "We at Star India have taken note of the debate in certain sections of the society about 'Sach Ka Samna'. It has been heartening to see an outpour of endorsement and support for this programme. We are particularly thankful to the media, both print and television, for its mature and constructive support of the show. We are also thankful to the I&B Ministry, led by the Hon. Minister Ambika Soni, for a very patient and constructive handling of the situation."

http://www.exchange4media.com/e4m/news/fullstory_industrybrief.asp?section_id=35&news_id=35573&tag=31307
Surya.Ravi thumbnail
I&B working on regulatory body for TV: Jatua

Indiantelevision.com Team
(1 September 2009 10:10 pm)

NEW DELHI: Minister of State for Information and Broadcasting C M Jatua said today that the decision on a regulatory mechanism for television channels would be taken within government guidelines and after due deliberations with various stakeholders.
Jatua said that while the government was determined that there should be a regulatory mechanism to check the telecasting of programmes which are not in the interest of society, any decision will be taken after examining all aspects and recommendations made by various stakeholders and the committee set up by the Ministry in 2007.
Speaking at the 20th foundation day celebrations of the All India Radio station, he said "there should be a regulatory body to control telecasting of programmes which are not in the interest of the society... The print media already has a regulatory body in the form of Press Council of India."
The Minister was responding to a question relating to programmes like 'Balika Vadhu' on Colors, and 'Sach ka saamna' on Star Plus. After notice was issued to Star India, the timing of 'Sach ka Saamna' was shifted to a late night hour – 11 pm.
I&B Secretary Raghu Menon is already engaged in deliberations with various stakeholders on giving a final shape to the Broadcast Services Regulation Bill, which has provision for a regulatory body.
Though the Prasar Bharati Act 1990 also had provision for a Broadcasting Council, it was never implemented and the Government in 1997 said a comprehensive broadcast legislation would be brought forward which would include a regulatory body.
However, the matter has been pending since then, though several Groups of Ministers and I&B Ministry officials have studied the issue, including the passing of a Convergence Bill with a Convergence Council.

http://www.indiantelevision.com/headlines/y2k9/sept/sept13.php
Surya.Ravi thumbnail
Remember Malgudi Days?

TV is now making audiences into voyeurs and participants into striptease performers

A chance visit to find the title track of Bharat Ek Khoj on You Tube became a nostalgic trip down the times when Doordarshan (DD) was our sole window to alternate non-film based programming on TV. Serials like Malgudi Days, Mirza Ghalib, Tamas, Chanakya and Bharat Ek Khoj had something creative and enlightening to offer to the discerning viewer. Between Hum Log and Buniyaad, Karamchand, Nukkad, Yeh Jo Hai Zindagi had already set in as popular shows for the family to enjoy in their homes, before and after dinner, with DD news as being the spoilsport.

Those were different times altogether. Since the advent of private entertainment channels, there is little space for indigenous homegrown programming. Increasingly, TV channels, in their desperation for eyeballs and higher TRP ratings, are buying rights for successful foreign programmes. The mindset that searches for a successful 'formula' in Mumbai film industry is playing out in private TV, too.

Entertainment channels are giving endless time and space to mindless 'reality shows' like Big Boss, Sach Ka Saamna and Is Jangal se Mujhe Bachao that neither have a script nor a storyline. Evidently, these programmes promote voyeurism and celebrate the highest (or lowest?) form of crass.

DD has abdicated its responsibility as a public broadcaster and has begun to ape the Bollywood 'formula' of private channels. DD's manifest obsession to garner profits has seen it start all kinds of channels that have been poor in programming and focus. They have been vehicles for corruption and venality.

It would be illuminating to know how reality shows compare with RK Narayanan's Malgudi Days when it comes to impacting the audience. Which programme has a better recall and level of satisfaction? Private channels and DD show a herd mentality. Beauty products, mobile phones, cars make programming skewed in favour of urban areas, but they force scriptwriters to churn out programmes that are short on content. The formula triumphs over creativity.

Sach Ka Saamna is a good example of what consumerist forces can do to an average mindset. Since several celebrities declined to put themselves through the show despite big money offers, the show caught hold of people who willingly agreed, essentially because of the money coming their way. Jungle se... is another show which is using bathing scenes of female participants to get people to switch on to that time slot to get some titillation. TV is now making audiences into voyeurs and participants into striptease performers.

With multiplexes becoming SEZs of entertainment, and Hindi films becoming more NRI and metro-centric, they are no more the biggest entertainment provider to all of India like they were 20 years ago. The concept of an all-India hit is not valid any more. Instead, you now get figures in crores to justify the tag of a super hit. The logic given by producers is that since revenue from UP and Bihar is miniscule compared to overseas and Mumbai-like metros, 'why should we make films for the section which cannot pay us well'? Marginalisation of the 'other India' is complete.

To see this ghettoisation, visit the Link Road area of Andheri in Mumbai. It has 15 screens in three multiplexes within walking distance of each other, where tickets can be bought from Rs 125 to Rs 350. A film show for four with light refreshments can cost you about Rs 1,000 to Rs 2,000. Just behind this area in Behram Baug slums, which has a large Hindi speaking population, you can find about 20 video theatres doing brisk business with tickets selling for Rs 10 and Rs 25, showing Bhojpuri and old Hindi films in rerun. The single theatres are now showing Bhojpuri films with ticket of Rs 15 to Rs 45.

The insulation of multiplexes from this section has resulted in TV doing fiction shows on Bhojpuri and other regional languages from Hindi heartland. So, you find Baalika Vadhu, Is Des Naa Aana Laado, Agle Janam Mohe Bitiya Hee Keejo, Bhagya Vidhata etc. becoming channel drivers replacing Saas Bahu sagas. They also have no scope left for a Tamas, Mirza Ghalib or Chanakya to come back, forget about a Bharat Ek Khoj like series. The reality of shows now is total fabrication.

http://www.hardnewsmedia.com/2009/09/3189
Surya.Ravi thumbnail
Hot seat ka saamna

By Subhash K Jha
Posted On Sunday, August 30, 2009 at 02:23:27 AM

Rajeev Khandelwal

In what might be a first one in India, the host of a reality show is set to sit on the hot seat and experience the pounding of a contestant's heart. The television industry is abuzz with rumours of Rajeev Khandelwal being on the other side of the line and answering questions about his personal life on Sacch Ka Saamna, the show he hosts.

Rajeev says that there is no sacch in the rumours, but our sources from the TV channel insist that seeing Rajeev on the hot seat is indeed in store for viewers. Rajeev says, "First of all, I never contest on reality shows.

Secondly, I am hosting this one… How can I be on the other side? It's like asking Mr Shah Rukh Khan to be on the hot seat on Kaun Banega Crorepati. And thirdly, I don't have the courage to reveal my innermost secrets to the whole world, not even to myself."

http://www.mumbaimirror.com/article/12/2009083020090830022327187a3617947/
Surya.Ravi thumbnail
Season 2 for Sach Ka Saamna?
KUNAL M SHAH , MUMBAI MIRROR 12 September 2009, 08:51am IST

Sach Ka Saamna, which has been in news ever since its inception for its controversial nature, is ending on September 18. The producers are planning a second season, though the host Rajeev Khandelwal has not even agreed to host an extension to season one.

Confirming the news of the extension, a source from the channel says, "The show has done extremely well and the TRPs have soared despite controversies and change in its air time. The channel was keen to have 30 more episodes in addition to the earlier contract of 50 episodes."

Rajeev, though, is happy that the show is being pulled off air at the right time. He says, "The popularity of the show never slipped, which is rare on Indian television. There were discussions of an extension, but now I am committed to the films I have signed and I think it's better to leave on a high."

However Siddhartha Basu, head honcho at Big Synergy, has a different perspective. He says, "Various plans were discussed and extending the show-time to one hour was one of them. We had an initial plan of 50 episodes and we stuck to it as extending the number of episodes is a huge process which involves testing the authenticity of the contestants to getting details and contacting family members. So there might be a season 2 now."

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/entertainment/tv-/Season-2-for-Sach-Ka-Saamna/articleshow/5001424.cms
Surya.Ravi thumbnail
Guys there was a article of Mandira Bedi..Where she is asked about Sach Ka Saamna...

Can you imagine being in the hotseat on Sach Ka Saamna?

I was asked to audition as host for Sach Ka Saamna. The original format of the show has never had a female host. But I failed in the auditions. On hindsight, I'd say that this is one failure that I was hoping for even while auditioning for it. This is a show that wrecks marriages, causes unrest in relationships and ruffles a lot of feathers. Somewhere, the host acts as a catalyst. I've watched a couple of episodes and nowhere did I regret not having hosted it. I don't think I can imagine myself being in the hotseat. I wouldn't want to expose the inner workings of my mind to earn money.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/entertainment/regional/news-interviews/Motherhood-why-not/articleshow/5003552.cms
Surya.Ravi thumbnail
Roopa Ganguly to face 'Sach Ka Samna' today

Mumbai: The controversial TV reality show 'Sach Ka Samna', is now heading towards its final destination. The show 'Sach Ka Samna' wore a lot of criticism and controversies and threw up a lot of hungama. Amid all the controversies SKS still succeeded in making a place for itself among the audiences.

The TV actress Roopa Ganguly will be its last guest for the season one.

To make the turbulent journey of this bold serial more memorable, Roopa Ganguly will be seen on the hot seat unearthing the harsh and bitter truths of her life on September 18.

The actress is well known for her character 'Draupdi' in B.R.Chopra's Mahabharat.

According to Roopa Ganguly, the show is not just about digging the past but it influences the human mind.

She said though the truths of her life may be appalling but she is sure that she will be able to justify her actions and decisions. After so many celebrities confronting the truth it will be exciting to see the emotional phase of actress Roopa Ganguly's journey.

http://www.samaylive.com/news/roopa-ganguly-to-face-sach-ka-samna-today/657469.html
Surya.Ravi thumbnail
Nobody told the 'whole truth' to win Rs 1 cr
Priyanka Srivastava
New Delhi,  September 20, 2009

Actress Roopa Ganguly's confessions marked the concluding episode of Star Plus's hit reality show, Sach Ka Samna, on Friday night.

The controversial show, in news ever since it started airing three months ago, saw some startling revelations by Roopa in the final episode. The actress, best remembered as Draupadi in B.R. Chopra's Doordarshan serial Mahabharat, shared secrets about the world of showbiz and admitted being promised roles in return for sexual favours.

The 43-year-old Roopa, who gained acclaim for memorable roles in such films as Antarmahal and Chowrasta, also talked about her tough divorce and current relationship with a man 14 years younger than her.

"I have never hidden anything from the world. My life has been an open book. Thus, speaking the truth on the show was not that difficult," she said. Besides speaking about her tough childhood, Roopa said she regretted giving up her acting career twice for the sake of marriage.

Roopa appeared on the show along with her mother, two sisters and actor-friend Surendra Pal.

She spoke about her strained relationship with her husband of 14 years and how differences of opinion arose in her marriage mainly because of her erratic lifestyle and late shooting schedules.

She also spoke of her insecurities when her husband prevented her from meeting her son. Despite all this, she admitted, she was still in love with her ex-husband.

Incidentally, Roopa was one question away from winning Rs 25 lakh when she lost out, leaving the show without any cash prize. The question that proved to be her bane was if she really loved her live-in boyfriend Dibyendu. Roopa answered 'yes' but the polygraph test said otherwise.

Over the past three months, Sach Ka Samna, an Indian adaptation of the British reality show The Moment Of Truth, created a storm almost every week with shocking revelations common people made about their private lives, in a bid to win the coveted Rs 1-crore grand prize.

No one won a crore and the highest winner was Sunil Singh, a part-time yoga instructor with Bollywood Dreams, who won Rs 25 lakh by revealing everything from having sex for money to supplying boys to prospective clients and feeling up female yoga clients the wrong way.

The shocking tone of the show was set in the first episode itself when a school teacher-researcher named Smitha Mathai admitted harbouring desires to kill her alcoholic husband at one point in life.

It didn't come as a surprise that Sach Ka Samna invited criticism in Parliament.

Several women's organisations demanded the show be banned because they felt it distorted Indian family values with the revelations made on the show.

Star Plus, however, is resilient. The channel plans to bring it back next year.

Courtesy: Mail Today

http://indiatoday.intoday.in/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&issueid=110&id=62665&Itemid=1&sectionid=67
Surya.Ravi thumbnail

True Lies: Polygraph Ka Sach
Satish K Sharma21 September 2009, 12:00am IST

"Kya aapne aapke mangetar ke saath bewafai kee hai" (Have you cheated on your fiance), asked the anchor. The contestant a young lady weighed the

question for a while and then said, "Yes!" The answer was correct and she crossed one more hurdle to winning a crore, even as the fiance absorbed the shock of the unsavoury revelation. Actually, once the question had been popped, it was in her interest to tell the truth for a lie could be nailed by the polygraph machine. To be sure, the reality TV show 'Sach Ka Saamna' had its positive side. It encouraged contestants to tell the truth and the rewards were not only monetary, but also psychological and social. For airing one's dark motives, infidelities and hurts buried deep inside can take a load off one's conscience and put the relationships on firmer ground. However, the flip side is that the crucible the polygraph test on which the show relies, is far from being foolproof. The test is based on the premise that when a person tells a lie his physiological responses are different than when he speaks the truth. However, its reliability remains questionable. Various studies have put its accuracy between 80 and 95 per cent. But what is worse, in its 2003 report on the subject, the National Association of Sciences of the USA found that the majority of polygraph research was 'unreliable, unscientific and biased'.

Even the most ardent supporters of the polygraph test concede that it is possible to cheat the machine. Aldrich Ames, the CIA counterintelligence officer who was convicted for spying for Soviet Union and later Russia, passed several such tests. There are several such examples. In other words, the machine can also lie. Not because it isn't smart but because, one, different people react differently to lying and two, the physiological responses that are identified with a falsehood can also be triggered by a host of other reasons nervousness, anxiety and stress. It doesn't help that in the end the examiner's interpretation is subjective. Surfing on the Net, one comes across many personal cases in which a false polygraph test verdict ruined perfectly sound relationships. Is it a good reason to ban the show from ever returning for a second season? Certainly not, but considering that the spirit of scientific enquiry is hardly the forte of our society, no harm would be done if a cautionary warning about the limitations of the polygraph test was displayed before each episode.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/opinion/edit-page/True-Lies-Polygraph-Ka-Sach/articleshow/5034355.cms