Jyoti

Discussions about Sudha/Devika here!!

-Sharona- thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 14 years ago
Guys what's the confusion between Sudha & Devika...just the fact that they are 1 single person in the form of 2....it's called split personality and our Sudha is going through it...you may wonder or ask why she is like that...story in short...when she was little she was humilated in front of the entire school by her dadi for something she didn't do...she grew up very scared and later took on the avatar of Devika..her other side...the side that's isn't afraid...Devika is confident whereas Sudha is scared & timid..some members have been opening topics regarding this and asking about it...from now on any topic asking about Sudha/Devika will be closed....if you want to discuss the character then do it here...don't open a seperate topic!

Regards,

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Vr15h thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
Thanks for opening this topic.  In tonights episode, for the first time, they showed memories of Jyoti returning to Devika when she spotted Sushma.  Will this be a coming together of Devika & Sudha?

Today, I also saw the episodes of Feb 19 and 24th - the 23rd didn't seem to be there, the link was screwed.  It showed the original Devika at the interview, and it was painful watching Sudha's interview for a marketing job.  She really could have used Devika as a coach, rather than as an alter ego.
Edited by Vrisha - 14 years ago
fm05 thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail
I was confused whether Sudha actually is suffering from multiple personality disorder or something else so i looked it up on Wikipedia and it seems they are portraying that she has the following:

Dissociative identity disorder (DID) is a psychiatric diagnosis that describes a condition in which a single person displays multiple distinct identities or personalities (known as alter egos or alters), each with its own pattern of perceiving and interacting with the environment. The diagnosis requires that at least two personalities routinely take control of the individual's behavior with an associated memory loss that goes beyond normal forgetfulness.

Symptoms can include:
  • multiple mannerisms, attitudes and beliefs that are not similar to each other
  • headaches and other body pains
  • amnesia
  • flashbacks of abuse/trauma
  • unexplainable phobias
  • sudden anger without a justified cause
  • frequent panic/anxiety attacks
  • auditory hallucinations of the personalities inside their mind

Patients may experience an extremely broad array of other symptoms that resemble epilepsy, schizophrenia, anxiety disorders, mood disorders, post traumatic stress disorder, personality disorders, and eating disorders.[3]

The causes of dissociative identity disorder have not been identified, but are theoretically linked with the interaction of overwhelming stress, traumatic antecedents,[13] insufficient childhood nurturing.

So far all this has been demonstrated in Sudha's condition. I was afraid that the writers had not done their research and would just lump her condition under the umbrella term of a mental illness or the frequently misused category of schizophrenia. Yet the way they have been slowly revealing her symptoms and the extent of her illness, it is clearer that they have done their homework.

But i do not get how she returned home that time when Dadi saw her if she is meant to have amnesia and be oblvious of her memories as Sudha. Also, she seems to be slightly aware that her identity as Devika should not be compromised by being exposed in front of others, like not wanting Uday to drop her home.

Why doesn't Devika at least question her confusion and lack of real memories of her life, even Sudha does not dwell much on the unexplained things that occur around her. And where does she stash those clothes she seems to so conveniently pull out; shouldn't she collapse out of exhaustion as well because when does she sleep!
So many questions?!

Vr15h thumbnail
PDM

Good summary of Sudha's ailment

In the previous episodes before the wedding, whenever Sudha turned into Devika, she'd do that at home, and then go out through the back door and find her way to the night club and other such places.  Therefore, instinctively, she'd know it was her home, even though she knew nobody there.

I think that the reason she didn't want Uday to drop her home was that she'd be unable to identify the route as easily as she would if she were to return the way she left - by walking and retracing her steps.  Think of it as someone taking you out blindfold, and leading you back blindfold.  While men have a directional sense in following such things, women use landmarks and pointers  to find their way back.  Therefore, if she let Uday drop him, she'd be unable to retrace her steps the way she came.  Although in last Thursday's episode, she could have had Uday drop him at the ice cream stand - the place where she picked  up the auto, instead  of to her place.  But then again, Uday was supposed to drop her at her doorstep.

I don't think  Devika  was aware of her Sudha identity, although in tonight's episode, that may have changed.  Since she was an entity in a fantasy world of her own, she has no family, and told cm exactly that.  She did get nervous, because that's one negative about herself that she has no idea how to cover, the way she covers other things with her newly contrived confidence.

I do think that the clothes she wears is what she managed to get from Sushma's wardrobe, particularly after tha latter was kicked out.  She may go to bed late, but she sleeps normally, and wakes up as Sudha.  And remember - Sudha goes into  her Devika mode to escape from her harsh realities - so why should Devika start questioning things that would put her back into Sudha territory?

Incidentally, did your articles mention how these things get cured?  I mean - if both personalities encounter the same person, as like when Sudha met Uday, does it trigger a clash between 'the worlds'?  Also, if the derivative personality - Devika - were to recollect the important things about Sudha - such as her family and college - would the sum total person then be transformed?  I'd like to see ultimately Devika take over, with all memories of Sudha's family intact, so that she can start handling the world confidently.  Somehow, I don't think it can happen before she marries Uday.
-Sharona- thumbnail
In a Sony show Kuch iss tarah..the girl had split personality also but it was so unrealistic....here it feels like it's real
fm05 thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail
Vrisha Thanks for explaining the Devika finding her way home issue as i've missed a few episodes.

Your right Devika is not meant to be aware of Sudha's identity but it was her becoming uneasy about the blanks in her memory that should have pushed her to start questioning her existence. As she is an entity in her own fantasy world so will her subconscious not try to make connections to relevant aspects in her life. Her family; her freinds, her past. Memories form the basis of our identity and thus far she is living out personality traits, such as confidence and zest for life but what is her purpose without truly knowing her identity.

For Sudha she is the escape she needs when the trauma is unbearable, a temporary relief but the fear is that her episodes of being Devika are more frequent and have taken on a pattern. Rather than being triggered by stress, this personality just takes her over and dominates. As since Jyoti's wedding and Dadi reformation, Sudha has not been under any overwhleming stress to cause the switch.
Thus, more than Devika, Sudha should be concerned with people mistaking her for Devika, which has started to happen when Uday called her Devika at the wedding. Sudha is the only one that can realise that there is an actual problem as she is the original identity. Or else we will have to wait for Jyoti to witness her in Devika mode to bring this matter to light.

As for the treatment, it says this:

Treatment of DID may attempt to reconnect the identities of disparate alters into a single functioning identity. In addition or instead, treatment may focus on symptoms, to relieve the distressing aspects of the condition and ensure the safety of the individual. Treatment methods may include psychotherapy and medications for comorbid disorders.[5] Some behavior therapists initially use behavioral treatments such as only responding to a single identity, and using more traditional therapy once a consistent response is established.[70]

Which means your theory about both identities being reconciled is a possibility. I agree that Devika's personality should take over with Sudha's memories intact as it will cure her inferiority complex and she can navigate the harshness of reality with confidence. Otherwise, her fragile mental state as Sudha would mean she can easily split into more personalities if she encounters more traumatic experiences.
Vr15h thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: pardesi-mem

Vrisha Thanks for explaining the Devika finding her way home issue as i've missed a few episodes.

You're welcome

Your right Devika is not meant to be aware of Sudha's identity but it was her becoming uneasy about the blanks in her memory that should have pushed her to start questioning her existence. As she is an entity in her own fantasy world so will her subconscious not try to make connections to relevant aspects in her life. Her family; her freinds, her past. Memories form the basis of our identity and thus far she is living out personality traits, such as confidence and zest for life but what is her purpose without truly knowing her identity.

Her purpose has so far been to simply enjoy the night life, and that's what she was initially doing.  I forget whether she was the one who initially asked Uday for the dance, or Uday was the first one to introduce himself to her.  At any rate, in this mode, she doesn't think of goals or purposes - it was to come out of that mode that Sudha transformed into Devika.  Thinking of a higher purpose in life is Sudha's role, not Devika's.

For Sudha she is the escape she needs when the trauma is unbearable, a temporary relief but the fear is that her episodes of being Devika are more frequent and have taken on a pattern. Rather than being triggered by stress, this personality just takes her over and dominates. As since Jyoti's wedding and Dadi reformation, Sudha has not been under any overwhleming stress to cause the switch.

Yes & no.  Since Jyoti left, everyone in the family has been a lot more sensitive to her - even Padma.  But her insecurity has still increased since Jyoti left, and I have a theory that that's noting that the rest of the family can match.  After all, when she was persecuted, Jyoti was the only one who stood  up for her, and now she's gone.  So I'd expect Sudha to undergo these Devika transformations in her absense.

Also, another major factor here  is that since meeting Uday, Sudha is subconsciously recalling him calling  her Devika, and that's triggering those subconscious memories.  So it may not just be the stressful treatment that she receives,  but also the trigger of a common person to both identities surfacing, as Uday now has.

Thus, more than Devika, Sudha should be concerned with people mistaking her for Devika, which has started to happen when Uday called her Devika at the wedding. Sudha is the only one that can realise that there is an actual problem as she is the original identity. Or else we will have to wait for Jyoti to witness her in Devika mode to bring this matter to light.

But this is the first time this happened, and that's because Uday is finally in Sudha's RADAR.  Previously, it was always Devika who was mistaken for Sudha.  Only time it was the other way was the fruit-cart guy, who congratulated Sudha on Devika slapping a guy  (forget whether or not it was Uday), and Jyoti and Sushma both berating him when Sudha reacted surprised.  Otherwise, when Devika walked out of the disco one night and had Deepu kicked out of the auto and then berated him, asking him whether he had been kicked out of home (which he had 😆😆😆), Deepu mistook her for Sudha, but then thought that there was no way those mannerisms were Sudha's.  Similarly, the night Dadi caught her, she too mistook Devika for Sudha, rather than the other way around.  This is only the second time Sudha has been mistaken for Devika: every other time, it's Devika who has that problem. 

As for the treatment, it says this:

Treatment of DID may attempt to reconnect the identities of disparate alters into a single functioning identity. In addition or instead, treatment may focus on symptoms, to relieve the distressing aspects of the condition and ensure the safety of the individual. Treatment methods may include psychotherapy and medications for comorbid disorders.[5] Some behavior therapists initially use behavioral treatments such as only responding to a single identity, and using more traditional therapy once a consistent response is established.[70]

Which means your theory about both identities being reconciled is a possibility. I agree that Devika's personality should take over with Sudha's memories intact as it will cure her inferiority complex and she can navigate the harshness of reality with confidence. Otherwise, her fragile mental state as Sudha would mean she can easily split into more personalities if she encounters more traumatic experiences.

I think that 2 people may be key to this.  One has  to obviously be Uday - that loose end cannot be left unresolved.  The other has to be the real Devika, who inspired Sudha to do all this.  Without her, I don't see this mystery being untangled.  Only thing - Sudha knows this Devika, but does Jyoti, or others in the family?
Vr15h thumbnail
Question: is this the Devika/Uday appreciation thread, or will there be a different one?
-Sharona- thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: Vrisha

Question: is this the Devika/Uday appreciation thread, or will there be a different one?

this is the discussion about her topic....the appreciation thread will open soon...maybe next week
Vr15h thumbnail
Looks like in Friday 7/10 episode, the foundation has been laid for an Uday/Sudha friendship.  What I liked about it is that now that KK, Deepu and Dadi (I  don't give a 🤬 about Padma) have seen Uday  save Sudha, they'll instantly be more accepting of him, and not just b'cos he's from their jamai-ka-parivar.  So now Uday can date Devika, she can turn into Sudha anytime, and they won't bat an eyelid 😆😆😆

I'd like to see another sub-plot develop here -  I'd like Sudha to visit Uday's place  (obviously to thank him  more), and Bharavi to get to know her, and then determine which one she prefers  for Uday.  It will be funny to see her agonizing between whom to pick, particularly when in reality, they are one and the same gal  🤣