Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Vr15h thumbnail
Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail + 5
Posted: 12 years ago
Actually, Bheema tore apart Jarasandha twice, but the first time, he didn't throw them in opposite directions.  He threw them each part towards its own side.  The second time, he wised up and threw the right hand side of Jarasandha to Jarasandha's left, and the left hand side of Jarasandha to his right.  That way, the parts couldn't re-join.

Can anyone answer my question above about the Bhojas & Andhakas?

I have another question.  In the Mahabharat, the destruction of the Yadavas is described in detail in Mausala parva, and some of Krishna's activities, like the killings of Sishupal & Shalva, are also described.  In that case, why didn't Vyasa include Krishna's entire history in the Mahabharat, given that he was such a major player?  In BRC's Mahabharat, they did just the opposite - they showed Krishna's birth and childhood, which was not a part of the Mahabharat, but ended the serial after Shanti-parva.  But can one explain why Krishna's entire story is not a part of the Mahabharat?
MagadhSundari thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 4
@ Varaali -yes he was, and so was Kunti's adoptive dad Kuntibhoj. Guess this was the more enterprising faction, given that their sphere of control as not limited to the Yamuna area where most Yadav land could be found.

@ Vrish - the Bhagavat lists them separately so there was some distinction, but I have read references to Ugrasen as the leader of both Bhojas and Andhakas. That one was a subset of the other that took on a new name after some marriage ties is still a possibility.

As for why Krishna's entire life is not described in the Mahabharat, it wasn't on purpose. In fact, as per the Bhagavat, Vyas too didn't feel content after omitting it and hence he wrote the latter when Narad helped him figure out that that's what was bothering him. See Bhagavat 1:4 and 1:5.
Vr15h thumbnail
Thanks.  He should have just inserted it into the Mahabharat and called it 'Second Edition' 😆
Debipriya thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
@Vrish, I guess 'Mahabharat'  aims at 'Karm Yog', a bit 'practical' approach towards our daily life by making our Values Correct. It inspires us to re-introspect the 'value system'. But 'Shrimad Bhagwat' aims at spreading the 'Devotion (' Bhakti Yog'), which is more 'abstruct'.  As far as I understand, it is only after ' True Knowledge' (which comes thr' thinking/ searching for the 'Truth', as we can often find in MB),  we can realise Devotion (which is the essence of SB), so SB comes after MB (as Lola has very nicely mentioned). I feel the Aim of creating MB and the Aim of creating SB were different. That's why they appeal to different set of people based on their mindset (Level of 'True Knowledge' ) while reading any of the particular text.
Vr15h thumbnail
Can someone refresh my memory?  Arjun's bow was Gandhiva, Karna's was Vijaya, what was the name of Krishna's bow?  I know it wasn't the Kodanda of Rama, but was it the same bow as the one Parashurama gave to Rama, which Rama turned over to Varuna?
kinny_ranvir thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail
I guess Lord Krishna uses the Lord Vishnu's bow called the "Saranga" ..

pashurama gave his one bow to karna (shiva's bow Vijaya) and other one as challenge to Rama ( it is Vishnu's bow)
Edited by kinny_ranvir - 12 years ago
Vr15h thumbnail
The one he gave Rama was Lord Vishnu's bow, which Rama strung, and then used to deprive Parashurama of his arrogance & anger.  But Rama gave that bow to Varuna - it was not the kodanda, which he used against Ravan.

So Krishna used that bow only?  Did he get it from Varuna, or did he get it from a celestial chariot that had all the weapons of himself and Balarama?
set_raj thumbnail

Originally posted by: _Vrish_

The one he gave Rama was Lord Vishnu's bow, which Rama strung, and then used to deprive Parashurama of his arrogance & anger.  But Rama gave that bow to Varuna - it was not the kodanda, which he used against Ravan.

So Krishna used that bow only?  Did he get it from Varuna, or did he get it from a celestial chariot that had all the weapons of himself and Balarama?

Vrish Krishna got the Saranga bow from Narakasura..who had captured sixteen thousand girls and he had taken Aditi's ear rings too...So Krishna fought with him and killed him and released those girls and returned the ear rings to Aditi..here it is from Mahabharat:

Baffling the nooses of Mura and slaying by his might that Asura, and vanquishing Naraka, the son of the Earth, Hrishikesa, while recovering the begemmed ear-rings (of Aditi), with sixteen thousand girls and various kinds of jewels and gems, obtained that excellent bow called Saranga..
Vr15h thumbnail

Originally posted by: vik rocks

Thanks for this thread Vrish...

I'll bring my question here...

The version of Mahabharat shown here was quite different from the BRC version of Mahabharat. The part where I recall is in the BRC version, after Karan's death Kunti goes & cries in the battle field & Yudhisthir on learning the truth curses all the women that they'll never be able to hide anything(I hope I'm right). In the Sagar version, nothing like that was shown, in fact Krishna had to persuade Kunti to reveal the truth & then once Kunti told them Karan was their brother Krishna took over the discussion & defended Kunti & Karan. What actually happened? Any info guyz?

Vik

Today, I saw the RS version of SK on Star Utsav, and got what you were referring to.  I know it was dramatized, but there were a lot of inaccuracies in that account:
  • The scene showed Kunti telling the Pandavas about how he had spared them, but trying to conceal his relationship w/ them
  • It showed Krishna explaining to Arjun that Karna knew about all this, but that it was Kunti's prerogative to disclose this, not his
  • It showed Dhritarashtra & Gandhari present @ the scene.  They were not!
  • It showed Krishna praise Kunti as being as pure as the Ganga
  • It showed Yudhisthir apologizing to Kunti
  • It then showed the Pandavas doing the shradh of Karna, and Karna in the sky greeting Krishna w/ folded hands

In reality, it was just a private moment b/w Kunti and the Pandavas, although Krishna was around.  Kunti was worried that Karna wouldn't get an honorable funeral, and so requested Yudhisthir to do it, and disclosed the circumstances of Karna's birth.  All the Pandavas were shocked, and the Yudhisthir then accused Kunti of causing him to commit a major sin in killing his older brother, and cursed all womankind that they'd never be able to keep a secret.  The Pandavas then did Karna's last rites.

But Krishna did not defend Kunti's behavior, as they showed - he let it be a mother-son affair.  He only intervened when later Yudhisthir was reluctant to accept the throne due to the killing of Karna.

I found the Sagar dialog surreal - even accepting that the Pandavas wouldn't be accusatory towards Kunti, it was still hard to digest that she'd be praised for the right decision, when in fact, the right decision would have been her announcing to everyone the truth about him b4 he fell in Duryodhan's debt.
MagadhSundari thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 4
I have a new question. It doesn't specifically pertain to Dwaapar Yug, but oh well... the show made me think of it, so here it is: in the gada yuddh between Baldaau and Shishupal which I so thoroughly enjoyed, the former gives the latter a kick in the stomach. Was that permissible or would the combat rules have specified that you only respond to a mace attack with a mace?