Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

vardhani thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 14 years ago

Swati, thanks a lot, teenu, I do get bored frequently!!! I know an over-dramatic start, but I had to make it concise since it's a short story and to be honest I wanted to deal with jai and bani rather than raghu, so I made him kick the bucket!!! Ha!!! 

And abhi, what does this trademark dhani ff mean??? Elucidate dear!!! My major in college is aything but literature, I am a completely technology driven electronics engineer student, and I love it!!!

PART-2

Bani lay awake…it was not even dawn, hearing the growl rattle of the moving fan…her eyes fell on the silhouette sprawled on the chair, his lanky legs thrown apart, he could go to any extent to save her, only if he had the courage to tell her which she was yearning to listen…she diverted her eyes back to the spinning fan…her hands made their way inside the blanket, then inside her kameez…to the vacant abdomen, it was gone…a tear slipped from her open eyes…her thoughts drifted to the time when she herself was ready to kill her own child, a mother ruthlessly attempted a murder of her own flesh and blood… …
XXXXX
One cold, overcast afternoon, it was her third month, raghu had fled sensing danger to his life…he was somewhere in Bangkok hiding underground…

Bani lay on her back on the bedroom floor; saira was napping with her son Zaheer in her room. In bani's hands was a metal spoke she had snapped with a pair of pliers from an abandoned bicycle wheel. For a long time bani lay on the floor, sucking air through her teeth, legs parted…

She adored this child from the moment she had first suspected its existence. There had been none of this self-doubt, this uncertainty; in fact she had been on cloud nine, but it took her almost a month and a half to realize the consequences of this impending pregnancy. What a terrible thing it was, Bani thought now, for a mother to fear that she could not summon love for her own child. What an unnatural thing. She didn't want a child to be born in this dark world where there was no light at the other end of the tunnel; she didn't want another raghu, another jai in making, she didn't want to bring a coward into this world where her child would be constantly in fear of death and of survival…she wanted to give her child a free world, a world where there was love, a world where there was peace, a world where people lived without fear… not this world where a life was unworthy, a world where gunshots reverberated more than laughter…

And yet she had wondered as she lay on the floor, her sweaty hands poised to guide the spoke.

In the end, Bani couldn't do it.

It wasn't the fear of bleeding to death that made her drop the spoke or even the idea that the act was damnable - which she adjudged it was. Bani dropped the spoke because she couldn't accept what raghu really did: running away like a sissy rat leaving his friends, leaving her, leaving their child…Sometimes in war an innocent life has to be taken. Her war was against raghu, against the system, against this dark world. The baby was blameless. And there had been enough killing already. She threw the spoke away… …
XXXXX
Bani removed the blanket which she was sure was covered by jai; she sat on the bed, her trembling toes touching the cold floor. She stood up…walking… …  

Jai's head slipped, he opened his eyes groggily…the entire night he had been sitting in the chair, guarding bani…his neck cranked, he flexed his hands and spread his legs…his eyes fell on the bed, it was empty, the bed sheet carelessly hanging from the bed, his pulse raced…Where was she??? He jumped, checking his revolver if the bullets were fed or not, he ran through the house…his heartbeat quickened with every running step…What if she did something to herself????

Suddenly he stopped in his tracks seeing her back in the backyard…she was sitting on her knees…he at once went towards her, puffed with anger…

"Kahaan chali gyai thi aap…kuch hojata toh…" he almost screamed…bani looked calm she didn't turn back continuing with her work…jai walked in front of her…

"Main aapse pooch rahaan hoon…" he bent down…she looked up into his steel grey eyes…

"Ab hone ko bacha kya hain…" she said in a resigning manner…he stood stunned for a moment, yes, what was left to happen…he made note of what she was doing…she was digging a small pit…

"Kya kar rahin hain…" he asked slowly…bani took the small woolen socks and buried it…bani spoke up after a silent second…

"Bache ki atma ki shaanti ke liye…usse dafna rahin hoon…main usse bachaa nahin paayi…" bani said in an emotionless tone…his heart pricked…he looked at the socks lying in the earth's womb, they were the same blue socks which she had woven so lovingly…which were now covered by layers of humus…he kept on looking…leveling the pit, she took a white rose stem, planting it…

Bani viewed the planted rose stem; it would remind her of her unborn child… every time a flower will bloom, it will only indicate that her child is smiling somewhere… before she could get up to water it, she saw a pair of hands holding a mug, pouring water…she instantly knew it was jai… …the first rays of sun hit the green rose stem…

Keeping the mug aside, he held out his palm… bani placed her palm over his, he clasped it gently and pulled her to her feet …leading her inside…

"Fir kabhi bina bataye mat jaaiye…" he reprimanded her lowly…she nodded her head obediently…
XXXXX
Bani finished her breakfast in pin drop silence…the servant came and cleared the dishes…

"Umm…" jai started…

"Kya…" bani said watching him curiously; something was going on in his mind for sure…

"Aap bura toh nahin maaanengi na…"

"Nahin…" bani leaned back…

"Shyaad aapko apne baba ke paas wapas chale jaana chahiye…iss kaali duniya main aap surakshit nahin hain…"

"Tumhe kya farak padta hain…" she asked looking at him crossly…jai averted his gaze…Wasn't it obvious??? But she would nail him always, sometimes he felt really irritated by her headstrongness…women were meant to be weak fragile, not rigid…but she was different…she had always been different…a cut above the rest…

"Aap wapas chali jaiye…bas…"

"Apne dost ki tarah bhagoda samjhke rakha hain…" she said accusingly…jai flinched…

"Jo bhi hain…tabrez chod aayega…samaan band lijiye…"

"Main darpok nahin hoon…aur main kahin nahin jaoongi…" bani declared…

Jai opened his mouth to counter her but he knew it was of no use…she was a stubborn mule…bani looked at him while he left…MENCan't live with them, can't live without them…she groaned…she picked up the receiver of the phone…her fingers pressed the number in order… …
XXXXX
"Hello…" a shaky voice came from the other side…bani's throat clogged…words evaporated suddenly…

"Kai payije… (What do you want)" the same shaky voice said…bani gathered courage…

"Baba…main…" bani said finally…

"Kaun main…" he asked rather blankly…bani closed her eyes…

"Bani…" she opened her eyes…

"Oh!!!"

"Baba…raghu…"

"Hmm…newspaper main pada…jurm karne waalon ka yahin anjaam hota hain…"

"Baba…" bani whined…

"Agar tumhe apni galti ka ehsaas hain aur maafi chahti ho toh wapas aa sakti ho…warna tum mere liye bohot pehle hi mar chuki ho…"

"Maine kaha tha na baba…main kabhi nahin haaroongi…kabhi nahin…" bani said confidently…

All she heard was a slight click and the line went dead… …a second later she kept the receiver down…she had defied her principled  father but at that moment she was so fascinated by this unreal world that nothing mattered anymore…
XXXXX
The obese bounded books stood still on the dusty wooden rack which was a bit tilted due to excessive weight…the books were of varied field, especially of high intellect… Tolstoy's 'War and Peace', Gandhiji's life history, "My Experiments with truth', Self-discovery books by Vivekananda…and many more…huddled against one another like lovers…

Nishikant Dixit dusted his books, he loved them and the knowledge they brought…in all these many many years of his service as a school-teacher he had collected them…they were his most prized possessions till date, more valuable than his 4 acres of fertile land half of which his son had inherited…even after retirement his zest for living and doing something constructive for the society didn't vanquish, in fact it had only grown with time…He headed the local school imparting quality education and worked for the social elevation of his village… …

"Baba…main aapse kuch keh rahin hoon…" bani said impatiently…

"Suna maine…behra nahin hoon…" nishikant replied…still busy cleaning…

"Toh kuch bolte kyun nahin…" bani threw her hands in the air…she was sick of her father's sticky assertiveness and his cool exterior made it difficult to rebel…

"Tumhari maa ke jaane ke baad maine tumhe aur Mahesh ko kabhi kuch mana kiya hain…" he asked directly…bani smiled…she didn't think it was that easy to convince him…

"Nahin…"

"Toh…"

"Yaani aapko koi aitraaz nahin…" bani almost exclaimed…

"Main tumhare pyaar ki izzat karta hoon…jisse tum pyaar karti ho woh insaan galat ho sakta hain par pyaar galat nahin…"

"Baba…aap…you are the best…"

"Ek minute bani…par meri ek shart hain…"

"Kya…" the tension was back…

"Tum Raghu se police ke saamne surrender karne ko kaho…jab woh chutega jail se main khud tum dono ki shaadi karwaoonga…agar pyaar kiya hain toh uska saboot bhi do…Raghu ek aam zindagi bitaye...iss samaj ke niyamon ka palan kare…" the bomb exploded…bani fumed…

"Kis samaj ki baat kar rahen hain aap…woh samaj jisne ek bache ko anath chod diya, jisne ek bebas ladke ko jurm karne par majboor kiya…kaunsa samja baba…yeh aapka jo samaj hain na whain raghu ka gunegaar hain…"

"Bani…apne pyaar ki sachai ko sabit karo…main tumhare saath hoon…"

"Nahin baba…aapko kya lagta hain aapke yeh Gandhi waadi adarsh, do darzan usool, uchatam soch…yeh sab lekar aap iss samaj ko badal denge…yeh samaj ek gandi naali ban chukka hain, na koi Gandhi na koi Vivekananda isse badal sakta hain…"

"Sahi kaha tumne…Gandhi ya Vivekananda ki zaroorat nahin hain, bas insaan ko jagruk hone ki der hain, bas ek kadam…"

"Yeh sab baaten sunne main aur kitabon main achi lagti hain…par baba ek baar bahar ki duniya dekhiye…log kahaan pahonch gaye hain…"

"Beta…main jahaan hoon theek hoon…"

"Mahesh bhai sahi kehte the, aap kabhi hume samajh hi nahin paaye, acha hua woh chale gaye…apni zindagi ke liye…kya mila baba apko iss adarsh zindagi se…kya mila…"

"Izzat, atma samaan, garima, aur man ki shaanti…ise zyada aur kya chahiye…mere usool meri atma hain…inke bina main mar jaoonga…"

"Baba main jaa rhain hoon raghu ke saath…"

"Main rokunga nahin…bas itna yaad rakhna, ant main jeet humesha sachai ki hoti hain…"

"Jeet sirf uski hoti hain jo kabhi haar nahin maante… main kabhi nahin haroongi baba…kabhi nahin…"

Bani touched his feet…

"Bhagwaan tumhe sadbudhi de…" nishikant went back to dusting his books…

Bani looked at his unperturbed father…she walked out with a bag of clothes… promising herself never to enter this house again…
XXXXX

God bless
Dhani

lovelyyrose thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
hwre is this story starting
i mean bani loved raghu and married him against parents wish then when did she start having feelings for jai ,???
loved the strat dhani
jeenal20 thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
hey dhani
that was a good part
so bani has even tried to kisll her child before
hope JB are able to tall their feelings to each other

plzzzzzzzzzzz cont soon

Indian_Goddess thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
I am loving this FF so far. Very different from the others. I am also equally puzzled about JB. If Bani married Raghu out of love, then where did these feelings from Jai suddenly come from? He is, btw, very sweet in this FF. I am loving him a lot. Please continue soon. Can't wait to read more. 😃

Love,
Dil
johnangad thumbnail
bani had loved raghu- then how did jai happen???
shweta76 thumbnail
Jai addressing Bani as aap and uthiye, baithiye, aaiye jjayiye..... too much for the hero :)

abhilashasharma thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 5
this bani is one hell of a character... omg... i thot she was an orphan... but no, she has a gandhigiri father... whats with jai and bani i wonder
kooliio thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
heyyy...
nice ss...
liked  it...
plzz cont.soon...
kuttu thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
It was a good part between the father and daughter. But if Bani had loved Raghu to such an extent to defy her father and marry him. When did things change. Is it that she found out that she was not the man she had fallen in love with. And Jai what is his part in the story. Waiting to know how Bani's life changed after the marriage.
Bye
vardhani thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

I know it's a bit of puzzled but I hope it gets clear. About bani loving raghu, it will get clear, she did like him; things can always change can't they. I know jai adressing bani as 'aap' is a bit weired but for him she is his best friend's wife and so that respect, even still he looks at her as Raghu's widow.  

PART-3

"Kuch pata chala…" jai asked munna…as he loaded his revolver…

"Maara to police ne bhai…apun ko nahin lagta ki kisi dushman ka kaam hain…" munna said…confidently…

"Acha…toh raghu ki mauth police ki wajah se hui hain…" jai asked…swinging the loaded gun…as if it was toy…

"Haan bhai…kuch pata nahin chala…" munna looked at him nervously…

A sudden gun-shot erupted in the atmosphere…the birds flew in a fleet…

Bani's heart-beat quickened…she ran out of her room…Shankar, Mathew, tabrez assembled in the living room…

"JAIIII…" bani exclaimed…

"Bhai…" tabrez called out…

Jai looked at them disinterestedly…tugging his gun back to its position…

"Kitne logon ko maroge aur…jo hua woh kam hain kya…" bani yelped…

"Informer tha sala…raghu kahaan chipa tha isne hi bataya hoga…harami ki aulad…" jai kicked munna's dead body; the bullet had pierced right through the centre of his forehead…

"Tabrez, lash thikane laga de…" jai said and walked away…bani followed him hurriedly…

"Tum…tum jaante ho raghu ko kisne maara…" bani asked catching up with him, he walked really fast…

"Police ne…" he said …

"Jhoot mat bolo…"

"Jaaneke kya karlengi…"

"Kuch bhi karoon…batao mujhe…" she demanded like a stubborn child…

"Aapko kya lagta hain…"

"Kisi doosre gang ne…"

"Nahin…"

"Toh…"

"Aap sawaal bohot karti hain…"

"Aur tum kabhi jawaab nahin dete…"

Within a split-second bani found herself pitted against the crumbled distempered wall…caged in between jai's strong arms… he looked straight into her face…she was breathing hard…

"Wapas chali jaaiye…jo aap karna chahti hain woh kabhi nahin ho sakta…ek baar jo iss daldal main fasn jaata hain na…who kabhi bahar nahin nikal pata, mauth ke siva koi raasta nahin hain…aur main aapko zinda dekhna chahta hoon…aise hi hamesha…" the calm intensity with which he spoke invoked her senses effacing her rational thoughts…  

"Meri itni parawaah kyun hain tumhe…" bani asked almost groveling…

Jai released her… he gave her a long stare before walking away in his usual speedy manner… …

Jai looked out of his room, the sun was setting…

"Abubhai…" jai whispered, gritting his teeth, his grip on the iron railing tightened…
XXXXX
Raghu and jai stared at thething in their hands…they were merely in their teens…they were friends, since childhood, having been left orphaned, they begged when they were small, at the traffic signal, in the local trains…later on they became rag-pickers, lifting plastic bottles, papers, polythene covers, that was the only of their meager income, when one their lives changed with the arrival of Afzal Ali, a local gangster, who was spreading his connections and slowly coming into power…he wanted young kids, he would train them and bring them up to be his assistants…

Afzal Ali looked at the two friends standing in front of him who had an awestruck expression written all over their faces…he narrowed his sharp eyes, one was nave and enthusiastic while the other was restrained and curious, but there was this strange determination in both of them…probably someday they will grow upto become his successor…he smiled fondly…

"Yeh dekh rahe ho…isse ghoda kehte hain…" afzal ali handed them a gun each…raghu started examining it while jai stared blankly at afzal ali, weighing the gun in his hands…it was heavy and it seemed very powerful…

"Aajse tum dono yahin rahoge…aur main tumhare baap ki tarah hoon…Abubhai…" afzal said ruffling their hair…

They both nodded dumbly…

"Sabko bula aur khana laga…" afzal ordered his servant…

A group of young boys came from inside, they were almost of the same age as raghu and jai…soon they were sitting in a line eating the delicious food striking a conversation…
XXXXX
Bani cleared her cupboard, keeping away all those colorfully dyed dresses; she took out the pale colored ones, plain pastels in cotton… jai's strange attitude ticking her mind, What did he mean?? Did he know raghu's killer? What was he hiding? And why? If she knew him right he could have gone to any extent to kill raghu's murdered? Yes, it was police officers who shot him dead, but there was much more than that, they would have never encountered him, in fact they would have arrested him and got the inside information but instead he was brutally killed. Was there someone behind it? But who??? She somehow inferred she knew that person, but who was it? And jai was saying nothing. She sometimes felt like smacking jai, he was so over-protective of her that he felt she can't take those felonious acts.

Her flow of thoughts broke by an abrupt sound…a plastic cover fell down; she picked it up, it, there was a CD inside it…she remembered something with a sweet smile…
XXXXX
"Sono…ga…kya…mujhe samajh nahin aa rahaa hain…" jai questioned bani…bani chuckled…

"Sonography…bache ki tasveer dikhata hain…" bani said clearly…jai looked surprised…since raghu had gone into a hiding it was jai who dutifully accompanied her to all her medical check-ups…bani at times wondered how can someone be so nice and selfless? Did he not feel jealous? It was such a pity, he fell in love with his best friend's wife, who was going to be a mother… … accompanying her when instead of him it was raghu who should have been here, besides her…but she felt safe with jai, she harbored an unknown trust on him, she knew he would never leave her side…unlike raghu… …

The doctor arrived shortly…

"I am sorry, ek important case tha…" the lady doctor said…

"It's okay doctor…" bani smiled sweetly…

"I hope your husband is taking good care of you…" the doctor said verifying her reports…bani blushed…she looked at jai briefly whose eyes were roaming all around the clinic; of course he didn't understand a word…

"Yes, doctor…" she said…

"Reports are fine, but I can see some complications…you are very weak…mentally you are stressed out…I hope normal delivery happens but I think we have to do a cesarean…I am writing some iron tablets, take it twice a day…"

"Yes, doctor…"

"Bani please take care, this is a crucial period, and chances of abortion are high…"

"Yes, doctor…"  

"Please, you take care of your wife, she is weak…please don't give her any physical excretion, I hope you understand…" the doctor said eyeing jai, who dumbly nodded his head…

"I will prepare for the sonography, please be seated here…" the doctor said and went inside…

Bani burst out laughing as soon as the doctor left…jai looked amused…

"Kya hua…" he asked looking at a flushed bani…bani controlled her laughter, her giggles died down…she shook her head in negative…

"Kuch nahin…" she said…

"Main thodi na pada likha hoon aapki tarah…" he said quite embarrassed…bani looked at him coyly; his honesty always touched her heart…

"Tum bohot ache ho jai…" bani said…the nurse came and called them inside before jai could reply…

Bani was lying on the bed…the tube resting on her womb…the digital picture of the foetus could be seen on the screen…jai looked at it with a bemused expression…he could figure out the small hands and small legs flapping…the tiny head…his lips stretched in an affectionate smile…

Bani couldn't tear her eyes from jai's face; the pure radiance which emitted from his face was priceless…

"Bacha…kitna chota sa hain…" he said turning his head towards bani…bani smiled nodding her head in affirmative…
XXXXX
Bani took the CD and kept it inside…will she ever have the fortune of becoming a mother again, she wondered bitterly… …

Saira stood at the entrance with a worried look…

"Bani…" she called out…

Bani turned to face her…and instantly she knew it something serious…
XXXXX

God bless
Dhani