Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Zareena thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 15 years ago
Will be posting Picture of srk when he reached and left to and from the hospital😊
Zareena thumbnail
Billu

Cast: Shah Rukh Khan, Irrfan Khan, Lara Dutta, Om Puri, Rajpal Yadav, Rasika Joshi
Director : Priyadarshan
+ Points: Well-made film with an excellent emotional ending

BO verdict : Hit

http://sify.com/movies/bollywood/fullstory.php?id=14857566&cid=14521781
Zareena thumbnail
A HARVEST OF KHANS

- Bombay's superstars are Muslim, but they mostly play Hindus
MUKUL KESAVAN

Recently I fulfilled a long-standing ambition to see a Bombay film in a Bombay theatre. I bought a ticket at the Regal in Colaba for a late-night screening of Luck By Chance, which is the thinking man's Om Shanti Om with Farhan Akhtar playing Shah Rukh Khan's role: the struggling actor set on becoming a hero. Like Shah Rukh in OSO, Farhan's character, Vikram Jai Singh, makes it big; even more creditably, he manages to pull this off without the bother of reincarnation.

Watching Farhan Akhtar in this film (and this was the second film of his I'd seen in quick succession, the other one being the first-rate Rock On!!), it seemed truer than ever that the most successful and interesting male actors in Bombay cinema are Muslims and, the odd Akhtar apart, they're nearly all called Khan. We have Aamir, Shah Rukh, Salman, Saif, Imraan and Irrfan, and if Farhan Akhtar had re-invented himself as Farhan Khan, he might not have had to wait till his early thirties for stardom. (Even the Khans who don't make it — Sohail, Arbaaz, Fardeen — get a lot of press by failing in a newsworthy way.)

The importance of being Khan is made in a tongue-in-cheek way within Luck By Chance, via the character played by Hrithik Roshan. The film is full of guest appearances by major stars, including Aamir and Shah Rukh, who play themselves. Ironically, Hrithik plays his real-life role as the established megastar, but he doesn't play himself: he's a fictional star who is called…you've guessed it, Zaffar Khan!

So how is this significant? Well, you could argue that it proves that if you want to be a star in Hindi cinema, it's worthwhile investing in a surname that begins with K. A great deal has been written on the way in which all the television serials made by Balaji Films begin with K, from Kyunki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu thi to Kkusum, but the fact is that K has been crucial for male stardom for more than half a century. Apart from maverick exceptions like Amitabh Bachchan, being a Kumar, a Kapoor or a Khanna was virtually a necessary condition for being a successful hero. Dilip Kumar took no chances on the K front; a Khan in real life, he covered his bases by being a Kumar on the marquee.

But trivia apart, does this harvest of Khans tell us something about Hindi cinema? A friend of mine claimed, only half-jokingly, that there was a story of Muslim empowerment to be found in the history of Indian cinema from Dilip Kumar to Shah Rukh Khan. First, he argued, you had Yusuf Khan who, starting out in the troubled Forties, used the camouflage of a Hindu name. Then, twenty years later, many years down the road from Partition, came Abbas Khan who started his film career as Sanjay and then reinstated his surname and came to be known as Sanjay Khan. And now the Hindi film industry is home to a whole crop of Khans who are proud to be known by their real names.

This is a plausible thesis but it misses the point. Yusuf Khan didn't become Dilip Kumar on account of the ill will generated by Partition; he began his career before that traumatic division in 1944. And while there were many Muslims, men and women, who chose non-Muslim screen names like Madhubala, Meena Kumari and Johnny Walker, there were others like Mehmood, Rehman, Talat Mahmood and Nargis who didn't. No, the real lesson that Khans, past and present, hold for us is that despite the large and powerful presence of great Muslim stars in Hindi cinema, the default identity of the heroes they play is Hindu.

Looking through the characters Dilip Kumar played through his long and distinguished career, I found that while he had been Jagdish, Ramesh, Ram, Mohan, Ashok, Manoj, Vijay, Shankar, Devdas and even Gunga, he had never played a Muslim character except once and that once doesn't count because Prince Salim in Mughal-E-Azam is a historical character who happens to be Muslim.

This is not to suggest that this is born of bad faith or to imply that the Hindi film industry is, in some subtle way, 'communal'. On the contrary, no professional world in India has been more open to talent and less concerned with ascriptive origin or identity than Bombay cinema. Anglo-Indians, Jews, Muslims, Parsis, Germans, Americans, people of every sort have come to this world with change in their pockets and have prospered. So it isn't malevolence or discrimination that's the issue; rather, a concern that Hindi cinema has become lazy, that it has been content to mine a narrow vein in a terrain that's bursting with rich and various ores.

It can be reasonably argued that all commercial film cultures produce stock hero personas which reflect dominant cultural types and with which a mass audience can identify. Thus Hollywood was dominated for decades by the WASP hero: regardless of their own ethnic origin, actors like Gregory Peck, Charlton Heston, Rock Hudson and Paul Newman played variations on the White Anglo-Saxon Protestant theme. So if Hindi cinema produced a standardized hero called Raj who was Hindu, generally upper-caste, preferably light-skinned and subtly Punjabi, it was merely doing what all mainstream cinemas do to sell tickets and turn a profit. So if Sanjay Khan, like Dilip Kumar, never played a Muslim character in a long career till he produced and starred in a television serial about a historical figure, Tipu Sultan, it shouldn't be cause for worry: it's in the nature of the beast: commercial cinema is like this only.

What this argument neglects is the fact that as time passed, Hollywood became more diverse, not only in its personnel, but in the roles its heroes played. Brando played a Pole in A Streetcar Named Desire, Al Pacino and Robert De Niro played Italian gangsters, Will Smith pulled on a cape to play a black superhero, and a varied bunch of actors played a range of Jewish protagonists in Hollywood films. Paul Newman himself, whose father was a Jew, played the ardent Zionist, Ari Ben Canaan, in Exodus. The Chosen, Marathon Man, Funny Girl, Bugsy, Private Benjamin, The Way We Were and The Jazz Singer were films centred on Jewish characters of every sort: comic, heroic, scary and ordinary.

Contrast this with Bombay cinema where sixty-five years after Yusuf Khan, aka Dilip Kumar, made his debut, his Khan successors are still playing Vicky, Raj, Ajay, Karan and Vijay to the exclusion of any other sort of character; where Shah Rukh Khan plays Raj Mathur, Anil Bhansal, Ajay Sharma, Rahul Mehra and Vijay Agnihotri when he essays everyday Indians and, very occasionally, Amjad Ali Khan and Kabir Khan when a film wants to address communal harmony or discord and where Aamir Khan, after bravely playing a contemporary Muslim in his second film, Raakh, never played a Muslim character again till Fanaa, 17 years later, where he played Rehan Khan, a terrorist.

It can't be healthy that in a film industry where the A-list of heroes is dominated by Khans and in a country inhabited by a 150 million Muslims, there are barely any films centred on ordinary Muslim characters going about their lives in a matter-of-fact way. Iqbal comes to mind and then…nothing.

But there's hope yet: Shah Rukh Khan is currently shooting a film that is forthrightly called, My Name is Khan. It's about "a Muslim man who suffers from Asperger syndrome". Here's hoping that by the time this remarkable bunch of Muslim actors are done with their careers, Khans might figure in the storylines of Hindi movies, not just on the marquees.

http://www.telegraphindia.com/1090219/jsp/opinion/story_10555683.jsp
Zareena thumbnail
SRK will not shoot for the next 8 weeks

HT epaper

Shah Rukh Khan is back home after shoulder surgery He will not shoot for the next eight weeks. That doesn't mean he'll be twiddling his thumb — even at home, there's a lot to do.

"Shah Rukh is an office in himself," says Mushtaq Sheikh, scriptwriter, author and a friend. "He could be in bed and still run the entire Red Chillies Production [his company]. This man has some secret that the world is yet to know." The star is busy catching up with friends, too. While choreographer-director Farah Khan said she spent yesterday morning with SRK at his home, a source from his crew says, "Friends like Sajid Khan, Arjun Rampal and wife Mehr, Ritesh Deshmukh, and his family and friends from Delhi are also there." According to SRK himself, his plan is to "finish the incomplete scripts of future films, look into fresh projects and be around with the kids.

Their exams are coming." He concludes saying, "Even as I talk, there's a lot more to do." In the first three weeks post-surgery the actor , would be totally under 'house arrest'. But given that this is Shah Rukh Khan, he can turn this into an advantage, too.

The star, a known gadget freak, loves going through the manuals that come with all his new gizmos. "Sir enjoys opening all the boxes and fixing every gadget," says our source. "Be it a simple remote control or a PlayStation, he likes reading the details.

"The best time is when he sits down with the kids to get their toys and games started. It's a sight to see." Once recovered, he will finish My Name is Khan before going into Farah's next film and his own Ra.1. Until then, wish you speedy recovery Shah Rukh.

[email protected]

Credit: Srk.org
naadanmasakalli thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Visit Streak 500 0 Thumbnail + 9
poor baby will miss hi onscreen but as far as he's recovering i am happy with it
Zareena thumbnail
SRK, KJo to co-produce next

By: Upala KBR & Tushar JoshiDate: 2009-02-19

Duo's next movie My Name Is Khan to be a joint production

Although it started out as a Dharma Production film, My Name Is Khan is now a collaboration between Karan's production house and SRK's Red Chillies.

Although the word on B-Town street is that this step was taken to tackle the recent recession, SRK explains the logic behind this business decision, "Karan doesn't want to pay me what others pay me (which is lesser); so he said, 'I can't underpay you like this, (also he doesn't want to pay me!) so you be my partner.' So now, we are jointly producing the film."

Priceless

Karan laughs when told about Khan's comment, "That's Shah Rukh's sense of humour but it's true I can never put down his price on paper.

He's beyond any remuneration and it's embarrassing for me to even discuss it with him. Shah Rukh owns the production.

Though we had earlier co-produced Kaal, we decided that a big film like My Name Is Khan should be a joint production.

It was for emotional reasons that we decided to do it. It's better to produce a film and own it than just act in it and there's no one I can think of better than SRK to co-produce with me."

Active producer

Karan adds that both Shah Rukh and he are extremely passionate about My Name Is Khan. "I have never felt that our production banners (Red Chillies and Dharma) are different.

Apart from the fact that we both liked the idea, I love the idea of Hiroo and Yash Johar and Gauri Khan presenting my film. And Gauri's lucky. It would be great to have her on my credit list."

However Karan is not worried about about having a difference of opinion with his partner.

He says emotionally, "I want him to participate on every level. It's fantastic to have Shah Rukh on board as a producer with his expertise.

He also has a sound business head and gives good advice so his contribution as a producer is very valuable in every account.

I have told him to take care of a lot of responsibilities and be an active producer."

On a lighter note, Karan adds, "There has never been any difference between Shah Rukh and my production house.

I tell his children (Aryan and Suhana) who are my godchildren, that I will leave the negatives of all my films to them, so they had better be nice to me."

Pic: http://www.mid-day.com/entertainment/2009/feb/190209-My-Name-Is-Khan-Dharma-Production-Karan-SRK-Red-Chillies-Kaal-Gauri-Hiroo-Yash-Johar.htm-
Zareena thumbnail
i hope Srk will come to watch his team matches at least😃
Zareena thumbnail
Roshan Abbas will make his directorial debut for Shah Rukh Khan

By: Shaheen ParkarDate: 2008-12-16

welcome aboard, abbas! Gauri and Shah Rukh Khan

Shah Rukh Khan will produce Roshan Abbas' directorial debut, a youth-centric flick

Roshan Abbas will make his directorial debut with a project for Shah Rukh Khan's Red Chillies Productions.

The anchor/presenter had always harboured aspirations of being a film director and had even done a course during his student days at the Jamia Millia Islamia University, New Delhi.

Says SRK, "Yes, Roshan has submitted a script and it is a fun film. He has been part of several of my stage shows. By January, things will be clear. I am waiting for the current situation to improve before making any announcement. We want to produce big projects with directors like Anubhav Sinha and Farah Khan.

At the same time, there are also plans to roll other quicker projects like what Roshan has in mind. I have an office and a staff strength of over 40, we have to keep it going."

It is learnt that Roshan's film will be a youth flick with six characters three girls and three boys. The script has been close to Roshan for long and when he narrated it to SRK, the latter loved it.

Says a source, "Over two months ago, Shah Rukh called Roshan to his office for a narration and things started rolling. Auditions for the various roles have already begun at the Red Chillies office at Bandra. Roshan's jewellery designer wife Shaheen has also been involved."

Adds the source, "The film, yet untitled, is about high school students. Ever since Roshan had staged a play Graffiti in New Delhi in the '90s, he had desired a similar subject for the big screen as well. There are several B-Town films about college students but there are no projects that take on high school students. Roshan is keen to explore those years in his subject."

Roshan, a name synonymous with radio, television and stage shows, says, "Yes, I do plan to direct a film but right now, the project is in the discussion stages. I will get a clearer picture in the coming weeks."

http://www.mid-day.com/entertainment/2008/dec/161208-Roshan-Abbas-Shah-Rukh-Khan-Jamia-Millia-Islamia-University-Gauri-Anubhav-Sinha-Farah-Khan.htm
Zareena thumbnail
Whoa, SRK to launch Zoa!

Morani daughter to debut in a youth flick backed by Khan
Shaheen Parkar
[email protected]

Shah Rukh Khan's shows are exclusively managed by the Morani brothers (Karim, Ali and Mohammed). This decade-long bonding now goes a step further. Zoa, daughter of Karim Morani, will make her debut in a film to be produced by SRK'S Red Chillies banner. The youth-centric flick marks the directorial debut of anchor Roshan Abbas.

Under wraps

Says a source, "The project is under wraps and those associated with it are keeping mum till it rolls. But Zoa has been signed."

It is learnt that keeping in view the close relations the Moranis have with Shah Rukh, Karim has finally agreed to let his daughter step onto the big screen in SRK'S production. The actor who is now recuperating at home post his surgery, is slated to hold discussions about the various aspects of the project soon.

Zoa studied at the Jamnabai Narsee School at Juhu and did her junior college from Mithibai. She is now pursuing a degree through correspondence.

As reported ('Roshan to direct for SRK'; Hitlist, December 16), the film is based on Abbas' play Graffiti which was staged in New Delhi in the '90s.

Apart from Zoa, another Morani who has had a brush with acting is Mohammed's wife Nasreen, better known as Lucky. She featured in their musical City Of Dreams staged last year.

mid-day epaper
Zareena thumbnail
fary i am not sure, some newbie.