Farhan's Thoughts : Farhan's blog!

Posted: 15 years ago
*This post contains Farhan's blog entries , on the official website of OYE ! Its Friday -

www.oyeitsfriday.tv

Oldest to newest : -

Farhan's Thoughts

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mumbai

8.December.2008

For all these years I have resisted blogging, mainly because I have always found it easier to express my feelings, share my experiences and channelise my opinions when I am prompted by a question that stimulates that response. I have never been one to keep a diary either and a blog is just that -- a non-personal, electronic diary. But this has changed after Oye! It's Friday!

Hosting this show and being a part of such a unique comic space on Indian television has now prompted me to write a regular blog where I won't just be sharing my experiences, but also hope to connect with viewers and readers on the fantastic and universal platform of humour. I would describe Oye! It's Friday! as a new kind of self-effacing, non-glorifying comedy show which will spare no one. Everyone from the host (yes, even me), guests, the audience, even the producers, channel and unsuspecting public is a potential target. (In fact, don't you have more important things to do right now than reading this blog?)

If you have managed to avoid reading the papers in the last month, and for those who have not already been bombarded with interviews and reports on why I am doing this show, well it's for reasons mentioned above. And I am super kicked that the show has totally lived up to what it promised to be. I can confidently say there has been nothing like this on Indian TV before.

I would like to share one personal experience here. We shot the first episode on Wednesday November 26, on a grand set at Yash Raj Studios, Andheri, Mumbai. While we were still in the studio, the shocking and violent attacks began around the city. We wrapped up our shoot around 9.30 pm and as soon as we came out we began getting reports of the scale and nature of the incident. My inbox was filled with SMS asking "where are you?" It was a day when all of us experienced such varied emotions. From laughter and delight at how well the show had gone, congratulating ourselves at the success of the first episode, to coming out into the streets to the reality and realisation that things around you are constantly changing. It is frightening how things around us can suddenly shift from one extreme to another.

The incident is now over. It's now a process of retribution, peace-building and getting life back in order. We want change and that change will happen gradually. From sorrow, anger, and feelings of what could have been avoided, people have to find a reason to start enjoying life again. And laughter is a very important part of that. I hope Oye! It's Friday! is a small and valuable part of that process of enjoying life again. Personally, the show has helped me do that and I hope it will evoke the lighter side in each one of us. Not just our show, but all the others shows on TV are just as important for bringing smiles back onto our faces.

We were scheduled to shoot the second episode on November 28 but obviously no one was in the frame of mind to get back to work yet and to go on to a set and shoot gags. That shoot was cancelled and NDTV Imagine left it up to me to decide when we would get back on set. On Saturday, November 29 when news came that the siege was over, I felt it was time to begin rebuilding, to make our small contribution to the healing process through laughter and humour. Today I am excited and thrilled about Oye! It's Friday! launching this week (on December 12). But if I could get away with being a singer, I think I might just get away with being a comedy show host too. I look forward to your comments (be kind, please) and suggestions, and please do send in any contributions in terms of SMS jokes or quirky situations that might just make Fridays even funnier.

Oye!

Farhan

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You can run , but you cant hide from Friday

11.December.2008

People have been asking me ' what's so special about Fridays? Well, for anyone from the film industry, the biggest thing about Fridays is the movie release of the week. It's the day fortunes can be made or broken. It's also the end of the working week. But now, if the film you want to see is house full, or if you would much rather your weekly dose of entertainment come to you, instead of you going to it, you have an equally good alternative ' Oye! It's Friday!

As host of Oye! It's Friday!, a comedy show which spares no one, I am so happy that Hrithik Roshan is the guest on the premier show. Hrithik and I have worked together (Lakshya and Luck By Chance) and been friends for a long time. If you have seen him on any shows before, you would have noticed that he is usually very proper and doesn't let his hair down. But it was different on Oye! It's Friday! It was so nice to see him have a good time and be such a sport even when the joke was on him. He was extremely open to new ideas and having a laugh. Rarely do you see stars enjoying irreverence about their own achievements. It also helps future guests to relax once they have seen Hrithik enjoying himself. Actually the guests seem to be having such a good time on the show that I am seriously thinking of renegotiating my contract with NDTV Imagine! (That wasn't me' someone hacked my blog!!!!!!!)

One of the things I noticed ' and perhaps viewers will notice as well ' is the predominance of women in our live audience. My fans, of course -- or so I thought and tried to convince myself, until Hrithik came on stage and the women went mad. I felt good for five minutes during my monologue till reality bit. I have been a fan of Hard Kaur's music and energy for a long time. She looks happy even at 2 am at the airport when everyone else looks exhausted. And then we have a great performance by Neha Dhupia too.

Both Hrithik and I were blown away by the live change act. I don't know how they do it, and I even offered them a bribe to find out, but 5 bucks just didn't seem to cut it! I am trying to get to the bottom of it, but no one is talking ' yet.

Then there's child prodigy, drummer Siddharth. At age 2 he had already performed in a live concert. At that age my greatest achievement was tripping over a carpet and falling on a table. In fact it was the highlight of my life till I was 26 years old ' when I wrote Dil Chahta Hai. Yes, it took me a long time to find my feet.

Like Siddharth, we have other seriously talented and amazing musicians-in-the-making appearing on our show. The premiere show is everything we wanted it to be. There are no rules, no boundaries; it's just exciting, unconventional entertainment.

After all this light, frivolous blogging, it's time to make a serious point. It will only be said once, ever, on this blog. Remember this about Fridays ' no matter what you do, where you are, how hard you try, where you go, what you think; no matter who you ask and who argues with you; no matter what anyone says, how much time elapses, how many governments come and go, Friday will always come after Thursday and before Saturday.

Oye!
Farhan

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wishing everyone a Happy and Peaceful New Year -

22.December.2008

As 2008 ends, I must say I am really looking forward to a holiday! This has been a hectic year. It started with the shoot of 'Rock On' on January 7, 2008. Within a month of that film finishing shooting, I began prep on my sister Zoya's film 'Luck By Chance'. That schedule ran through May, June and July and then came the promotion and publicity for 'Rock On'. There was the music launch in July followed by the film's release in August. I then had to go back to shoot 'Luck By Chance'. The Rock On for Humanity concert happened and then I went straight into 'Oye ! Its Friday'

Interestingly, this week on the show I interview two people I don't know ' model-turned actress Mugdha Godse (from 'Fashion') and Olympian boxer Vijender Singh. This is a nice break from interviewing people I know well, though even in this episode I balance it with Shankar-Ehsaan-Loy who I know better than I know even myself. If they are doing the music of any of our films, I can rest assured it will be good.

It is the time of year when the children have holidays and there are plans to be made with the family. I guess at some level I always wondered what it would be like to be as busy as all those people who were too busy to meet me when I was making my first film. But it's not working for me! I wonder what made me do this ' was I worried I was being left behind? I have now decided that I miss the quiet life and I am taking time off to spend a low key New Year with my family and friends before I get swept into the publicity and promotion for Zoya's film, which releases on January 30, 2009. I also know when my next break is going to be. I will get about 15 days off mid-February before I start preparations for my next film as an actor which we start shooting in April.

I have heard people are wondering what has happened to Farhan the director ' well, he can't get an appointment! It's sad, but true. But seriously, I hope to get back to directing by the end of 2009. I am really looking forward to that.

Looking back at 2008, the year was a blur. It went by so quickly. But there were three highlights of the year:

• The Olympics and India winning an individual gold. That was a fantastic moment.
  • It was a year for debuts in the film industry whether actors, actresses or directors with Harman Baweja, Imran Khan, Prachi Desai, Mimoh, Abbas Tyrewala, Tarun Mansukhani, Anushka Sharma, Mugda Godse, Sikander Kher, Neeraj Pandey, Raj Kumar Gupta, Rajeev Khandelwal (and me).
  • And my younger daughter turned one!

I think 2009 is going to be a very important year, especially after the recent events in Mumbai. I think it will be a defining year, during which we will hopefully see people take action. We must stay focused, involved and emotionally constant until that change occurs. And that's my wish for us for the coming year.

Here's wishing everyone a very Happy and Peaceful New Year.

Oye!
Farhan

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Will be updated as Farhan keeps blogging !!!
Edited by Shubh_Aastha - 15 years ago
Farhan's updates on OIF episodes :

OIF with Aamir :

18 December 2008

As a college student, some of the films that made an impression on me and my group of friends were Qayamat Se Qayamat Tak, Rangeela and Jo Jeeta Wohi Sikandar. QSQT especially stood out because at a time of bad action films, the clean love story with realistic elements broke the clutter.  It was also a very impressive debut by Aamir Khan. At the end of the 90s, when I was ready to make my first film Dil Chahta Hai, I waited months to get a meeting with Aamir. He was so busy shooting etc, that our meeting sometimes got postponed by an entire month. Months later we finally met at his house. He was very apologetic and I knew he had been genuinely busy. But I had decided that come what may I was going to narrate the script to him that day, even if it meant narrating it into the security camera!

Now, I am interviewing Aamir on Oye! It's Friday! I went through a gamut of emotions while I was working with him on my first film and it means a lot to me to be able to interview him now. He's a very important part of the life I am today. He trusted a newcomer and took a risk when he was big star and I am very grateful to him for that. Members of my Dil Chahta Hai crew are now making their movies and I feel happy for them and very proud to have been a part of their growth.

He's also the original Bollywood blogger, and I really struggle with blogging. So there is no way I would have been the first blogger from the film fraternity. I do feel more comfortable answering questions when asked. Honestly, I have never read Aamir, or anyone's, blog. The only entry I even heard about was the controversial dog blog. He's also an unlikely blogger given how private he is. When I asked him how he does it, he said he finds it a good way to communicate with his fans and, not surprisingly, just does not write about personal stuff.

The most amazing thing about Aamir, and to his credit, over the last 8-10 years he has maintained a certain quality of storytelling even within projects that are not exactly regular. During our interview, I enjoyed learning a little bit about his early years – about being a member of the Timepass Gang and how he felt just before the release of his first film. I think each person feels the same way before their first film – whether as an actor or director.

The term six pack has suddenly become a part of our vocabulary over the last year. Aamir's Ghajini body is the latest example, but one must remember that he worked to achieve that body for a look. While I think it is great to be fit and commendable to achieve such a level of fitness, it's also a little tragic how today everyone is expected to have a perfectly sculpted body. But it's not a natural form and real people don't have six packs. Previously, potential actors were gauged on their dancing, acting and horse riding abilities. Added to the list they now say 'good body bhi hai'. A good body has become a prerequisite for an aspiring actor. I am thinking of putting on weight for my next role just to prove a point.

Oye!
Farhan
OIF with Priyanka Chopra

1 January 2009

Hello and Welcome to 2009! I am just back from a much-needed break and looking forward to starting the year with my dear friend Priyanka Chopra joining me on the first episode of the year on – believe it or not -- Oye! It's Friday! If you look at the numbers 2009 they add up to 11 which then adds up to the number 2 which, by numerology standards, means nothing whatsoever to me. But for those who believe in it – congratulations!

Coming back to my guest Priyanka Chopra, I must be one of the few people in the world has no nickname for her and calls her Priyanka. She is a great sport and though she came for our shoot directly from another one, she did not show any signs of being tired or being done for the day. I first met Priyanka socially, through some friends, but got to know her only during the making of Don, especially during our extended outdoor shoot in Malaysia where we used to hang out after pack up. Among the things I really like about Priyanka is her wicked sense of humour.

The last year was quite significant for Priyanka with six movie releases in 2008. I remember it was after Drona, her fourth film in a row not to do well, when I got a call from a journalist. The newspaper was prematurely running Priyanka's professional obituary and the journalist asked me if this bad run at the box office signaled the end for Priyanka and whether I would still work with her. My response was that Priyanka is extremely talented, sincere and thorough so there was no reason why she shouldn't do well. We all have our professional ups and downs. And then she did wind up the year with two big hits. To re-quote a popular phrase: 'form is temporary, class is permanent'.

This week on the show we also have 'Ma da ladla' singer Saleem and an intriguing international balancing act, Lord and Lady Vlado from Ukraine. Don't miss the sweet and very talented drummer Adar Jain, grandson of Raj Kapoor.

I'd like to take this opportunity to thank everyone for their New Year wishes and for taking time out to give me feedback on the show and my blog. I think I am slowly getting the hang of this blogging thing. When the show went on air, I was most cautious about reactions from my friends but I am pleased that they seem to be enjoying the show too and tell me that I am being pretty much myself. I am glad people recognise my humour and enjoy it.

Looking ahead into the New Year, there are two events within the first quarter that hold special significance:
1. The elections are a big thing. I hope a lot of people go out to vote and send a clear signal to the political candidates that we, the citizens of this country, are concerned.
2. Then there is our company's next production and my sister Zoya's first film as director, Luck By Chance.
So here's a toast to 2009! Hope it rocks!

Oye!
Farhan
OIF with Deepika Padukone

9 January 2009

Hello again and thank you for all your posts and comments. We are into the throws of recording fresh episodes of the show and this week my guest is a fellow Capricorn and an actress I have not yet worked with. Interviewing Deepika Padukone was both tricky and interesting. She is one of the most promising newcomers in our industry right now and from her first movie Om Shanti Om to her forthcoming release  Chandi Chowk To China she has created a truly commendable position for herself in a very short time. She is extremely focused and determined when it comes to her career which are qualities I genuinely appreciate. 

Not really knowing Deepika very well, it was tricky to know what the boundaries were during the interview. With a guy, you know there are certain liberties you can take and get away. Like with Vijender Singh – I knew that at worst he would punch my lights out! Or with someone you familiar, like Priyanka Chopra, you know what topics will be acceptable and the familiarity helps. But with Deepika I did not have that gauge to know where to draw the line between what is personal and what is not. But after just one segment I learnt that she is self-assured and confident enough to talk about most things.

Here are a few other things I learnt about Deepika:
1. She loves to cook.
2. She loves to eat.
3. She went to school Sophia High School and Mount Carmel College, Bangalore
4. She was born in Copenhagen, Denmark
5. She was a national level badminton player as well as a state level basketball and baseball player.

If things were not hot enough, we also have the man on wheels, Mattias Lindstrom from Sweden with his awesome 'Cyre Wheel' act. And if that's not enough, the Imagine and Oye! It's Friday! team had a surprise in store for me -- my father, Javed Akhtar, joined Deepika and me for a chat. 

So what do my fellow Capricorn Deepika and I have in common? We are both extremely good looking! (Just kidding - about my looks I mean, not hers.) 

On a separate note, the film awards season is here and I am very pleased that Rock On has received nominations in 13 popular categories at the Screen Awards. Sadly I have not been nominated for best singer. So for those who have been writing in saying they would like to see me sing more on my show, I shall only have the confidence to do so once I am nominated in the best vocalist category (Just kidding). 

It's also ironical to find myself nominated in the best newcomer category and to receive the V Shantaram award for best debut for Rock On. It is nice to be recognised for one's work but it is also quite wild how time flies. It will soon be 10 years since I directed my first film Dil Chahta Hai and here I am being nominated for a debut with people who are actually making their debut into the film world – like Darsheel Safary. 

And finally for those who are wondering about my next film, as I wrote in an earlier blog, we start shooting Vijay Lalwani's Kartik Calling Kartik around April. But before that, and for the next few weeks, all I can think about is my sister Zoya's directorial debut film Luck By Chance!

Oye!
Farhan
The King And I

16 January 2009

After several false alarms, attempts and finally a lot of cajoling, Shah Rukh Khan came on to Oye! It's Friday! And once he came, there was no stopping him.

Interviewing him was a challenge only because we have already read and heard so much about Shah Rukh – about how comfortable and sporting he is, and how happy he is to laugh at himself. He was so willing to do anything that came up in the time allocated to the show that we had enough great material to create a special two-part series with him. 

One thing I know about Shah Rukh is that he is an avid reader and loves trivia, which is why I start off the show quizzing him about things like pygmy elephants in Borneo! I don't know if he really knew the answer, but his theory about bananas did make sense. The confidence with which he replies is enough to make anyone believe him.

I am glad I have my blog to set one thing straight. On the show he says that I always lost during our PS2 sessions and as a host, I really could not quarrel with him then. But the truth is that it was actually an even contest. Whether it was tennis or football, sometimes our team (Boman Irani and me) won and sometimes his did(Shah Rukh and Ritesh Sidhwani).

What I enjoyed most about these episodes was being back on set with Shah Rukh, especially since the last time I was on set as a director was with him for Don. Being with him again reminded me how much fun he is, how witty he is and how much I missed hanging out with him. Unlike other actors, after pack up he doesn't just head home but likes to hang out with the cast and crew. Plus his energy is infectious. I know some of you might think since we are neighbours (in Bandra) that we might see each other more often, but that is difficult with our different schedules. In fact my closest neighbour is Rekha who I see maybe once in three years!

On the first of the two episodes we also have the lovely Amrita Arora performing to hit songs like 'Golmaal', the talented young violinist Ambi Subramanian and Kolkata's popular rock band 'Cactus' who surprised Shah Rukh by performing the Kolkata Knight Rider's theme song 'Korbo, lorbo, jeetbo re'.

Before I sign off, I want to congratulate A R Rahman for his much-deserved Golden Globe win. He is one of our most consistent composers who has an almost spiritual approach to his art. I had first approached him for the music of Dil Chahta Hai but things didn't work out and then Shankar-Ehsaan-Loy stepped in. I remember at that time, after the music of the film was released it was liked by all, including Rahman. When he met me then he said he was so glad our collaboration didn't work out because then the soundtrack would not have sounded as good as Shankar-Ehsaan-Loy's did. That, especially in this industry, was so refreshing.

Do keep sending in your comments and feedback.
Oye!
Farhan
Thanx for the info....u know i'm not a big fan of deepika, only thing i like about her is her dimples and she has a nice figure...but she really looks classy in this pic of hers!!!!
thanks for posting.......farhan has a terrific sense of humour in a very understated way.

thanks for this...

oye Farhan!!!!!!!!
farhan is absolutely awesome and i cant wait for him to interview kjo!!!