Sikhism Relation with Lord Ram

Savi13 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
Posted: 15 years ago

Shared by waterlilly(Ruby) on MMDR forum....

In recent years there has been a push by many religious separatist who mainly because of political ambitions have attempted to divide the Sikh and Hindu communities. However, the truth will always be that these two groups are more alike then different. Many Sikh beliefs originate from the Hindu faith. For example, the name Singh derives from the Hindi Sanskrit meaning "lion". The Five K's that are so proudly used to distinguish Sikhs were borrowed from the Rajputs -- the famous Hindu warriors. Many of the Sikh Gurus names were also drawn from Hindu Gods. For example, Guru Ramdas (Ram's servants), Guru Harkrishan (Hari and Krishna are Hindu names for Vishnu), Guru Hargobind (Hari and Gobind also two names for Vishnu).

Most people of the Punjab know that the city of Lahore was built by the elder son of Ram, Luv, while the city of Kasur was built by Kush, the younger son. A powerful point is that Guru Gobind Singh states Guru Nanak as being a descendant of Kush, while himself a descendant of Luv. Also, Guru Gobind Singh Ji himself worshipped the Hindu goddess Durga in her manifest form. Furthermore, the famous "Golden Temple" is actually called Harmandir Sahib. Hari is another name for Vishnu, and Mandir means temple; literally translating into the temple of Vishnu.

Hinduism and Sikhism, then, are very closely related and even when it comes to festivals, although there are some differences, there are many commonly celebrated days such as Diwali. For Hindus this festival represents the festival of lights for the beginning of new year; for Sikhs it is the anniversary of the release from imprisonment of Guru Hargobind, the sixth guru. Maybe the key difference between the two religions is the fact that Sikhism is a monotheistic religion whereas Hinduism is polytheistic one.

here is the link of post

http://www.india-forums.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=1098718&PID=19604170&#19604170

Guru Nanak Dev Ji originated the sikh religion

Edited by sam1903 - 15 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

rupalip thumbnail
Wow gr8 one
thanks sam and Ruby for this info .....

divyadhuria thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail
thanx a bunch for d info,,,,,,,,,,,,,,๐Ÿ˜Š
jingjing thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
Thanx Sam di ....its great...
_rajnish_ thumbnail
thanks samiksha di and ruby for info๐Ÿ˜›
coolpurvi thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Thanks Samiksha n Ruby. I never knew it.  There is much simmilarites between the two religions. I dont know much abt Sikhism ..my father told me that there r simmilarities between the religious philosophies of hinduism n sikhism. In 3rd sem I had Hindu personal law as one of my paper. Codified Hindu personal law appplies to Sikhs, Buddists  and Jains also. Even before the codified Hindu law it was well settled that personal matters like marraige, adoption, inheritence etc of  Jains, Buddists and sikhs were governed by hindu law as modified by custom prevailing amongst them.
Edited by coolpurvi - 15 years ago
bharat9 thumbnail
yep..Hinduism and Sikhism both religous are pretty much very similar. I know this very much since I am a Hindu-Punjabi!!

Even in all the shabads and kirtans in sung in Gurdwaras always mention that one should always chant Ram Ram as not only will it help in this material world but also once we leave this body. They believe that the name Ram or Wahe-Guru will help them to get a place in Vaikundh-dham once they leave this earth.

Guru Nanak Dev ji came from a Hindu family as well and originated the Skih religon.

Many Skihs go to mandirs as well as to Gurdwaras. Most of them also go and visit Mata's darbars in Himalays!

The most important and holy place for Skihs is the Hari-mandir Sahib also know as Golden Temple or Sawaran-mandir.

akhl thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Fascinator 1 Thumbnail

Here are some of the verses from Guru Granth Sahib on Lord Ram: -

In every place Ram lives. Through the Gurus word, the love for God is attained.
The attributeless Ram assumed attributes.
Wherever I look, I find you. I am now firmly convinced of it. Before whom should I make supplication and entreaty, when Raghurai himself is listening to everything.
O very fortunate ones, contemplate on Ram, who pervades the ocean, earth and sky. Nanak says, by meditating on the Name, no calamity befalls the mortal.
I have known the story of the sovereign Rama. Within us Rama's light shines, but the rare one, by the Guru's guidance, becomes aware of it.
The Name of king Ram is divine knowledge for me.
One is saved by seeking the shelter of king Ram.
King Ram is dearer to me than all the wealth, treasures, son, brother and friend.
I behold the lotus-like face of Ram. Searching and seeking, I have found the jewel of the Lord's Name and am rid of all anxiety. By enshrining the Lord's feet in my heart, my suffering and foulness is shed.
His divine praise is sung by Parashurama, the son of Jamadagni, who was divested of his axe and powers by Raghuvira.
Namdev prays, my Sovereign Lord is Ramachandra, son of King Dashrath.
I have sought the shelter of King Rama. I have become free of fear by singing the praise of Govind, and in holy company pain goes away.
As Dhruv and Prahlad meditated on Hari, so do you, o my self, contemplate on Ram.
Man is intent on sin, still he hopes for happiness. How shall he find an place in king Ram's abode?
King Rama has given us protection. With peace, equipoise and joy, I sing the Lord's praise. My mind, body and human frame are at ease.
By meeting with Rama's Name, one gets absorbed in RamNam. Whoever meditates on Him, is emancipated and merges in the Lord like Dhruv and Prahlad.
I live by singing the praises of Rama. O Gopal, show grace unto me, that I may never forget You.
The Vedas, Puranas and Smritis, which are accepted as Holy Word, have all grown out of the sole Name of Rama.
Hearing the Vedas and pondering over their reality, I have ascertained that the sublime meditation of Rama's Name, is the treasure of all the joys and comforts.
The six Shastras and the four Vedas, I have carefully searched and seen. Narad, the silent sage, also utters the same words. That in the company of the holy and by the Guru's grace, man is emancipated and delivered by uttering Rama's Name.
In this dark Age, keep Rama's Name in your heart.
In this dark age, devotion to Rama's Name is sublime and pure.
By singing the praise of the Name of Rama, according to the teaching of the Great Guru, one is blessed with peace. So meditate on Ram, Ram, Ram. O merciful Hari, You cherish the whole world, and You, You and You alone, Rama, are the Creator of All. Slave Nanak seeks shelter. Bless him with the Guru's teaching so that he may reflect over Rama's Name.
Contemplate Rama, contemplate Rama, O man. This alone shall be of avail to thee.... Meditate on Rama, meditate on Rama, your life is passing away.
My companions and friends have all left me. None has remained with me to the last. Nanak says, in this calamity, Raghunath is my only support.
Whoever listens to and sings this story (of Ram), will be free of sin and sorrow. The fruits of devotion to Vishnu are that disease and pain will never affect the devotee.

There are many more verses in Guru Granth Sahib where Ram is mentioned. I have posted only some of those above.

bharat9 thumbnail

Originally posted by: akhl

There are many more verses in Guru Granth Sahib where Ram is mentioned. I have posted only some of those above.

Yes, there are many verses in Guru Granth Sahib that mention the names Ram, Vaikundh-dham, Hari.
Many shabads also start with the name Ram, like " Ram-Ram karta sab jag phire, Ram na paya jaye". In this shabad they also tell a story about Lord Ram and Hanuman ji. (very lovely story!).

Some people also say that Guru Nanak Dev ji is also an incarnation of Lord Vishnu.
Some people say that Guru Nanak Dev ji's (1st Guru) nature is very similar to Lord Shri Ram and Guru Gobind Singh ji's (10th Guru) nature was like Lord Krishna.

Edited by bharat999 - 15 years ago
coolpurvi thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
wow thanks Rinki n Avinash for sharing this great info. that's the greatness of the soil of our country