Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6
Posted: 15 years ago
hey
very nice
can't wait ....
naddiya26 thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 8
nice ff i will sure wait next week insha Allah.
sshekar thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Thank you all for your encouragement. I will post chapter 2 on Friday. something to keep us going other than the gloomy, depressing news of Prem dying. We can at least keep him alive and happy in our thoughts, right? Just doing my part to help! 😃
sshekar thumbnail
Oct 01
It has been a depressing week for all of us. I am posting the second chapter early. Read and enjoy and REMEMBER TO SIGN THE PETITIONS AND SEND EMAILS. WE WILL BRING HARSHAD aka PREM BACK!!

Chapter 1

Heer yawned as she looked at the clock. It was almost 10 pm. She was sure the family would not be returning any time soon and stretched out on the couch. She was watching an old Hindi movie, something she loved to but rarely did. It was good to escape into someone else's life, even if it was for only 3 hours and always a happy ending. I am thankful, she told herself, thinking about her life. It had been 9 months since her parents had passed away in a freak road accident, leaving Heer and her sister, Meher, orphans. Their dad's brother Balwant and his wife, Daljeet, had reluctantly taken them in. The move from Ambala to Mumbai had not been easy and it had been sheer hell living her uncle and aunt.

Daljeet had treated the two girls worse than servants. Their family home had been sold and the girls had not received one penny out of it. Heer had wanted to work as she had already completed her education, so she could help Meher finish her studies. But working meant independence and Daljeet did not want that for these girls. There was not a day that Heer & Meher had not cried, wishing that their life had been different and that their parents had been alive. The only person who had actually cared for them in their uncle's house had been their cousin, Ashlesha.  Ash, as she liked to be called, was a couple years older than Meher and was working as an assistant designer for a big fashion house. And even though she stood up for Heer and Meher, she had not always been around to protect them from her own mother.

And then, like manna from heaven Lalit chachu had arrived. He was her father's best friend and had been living in Canada for the last 25 years. He had finally decided that he wanted to move back to India . It had taken him almost 6 months to track Heer & Meher, after her had found out that his friend Balraj Mann had passed away. Arriving one day to Balwant's residence, Lalit had been livid when he had seen how the girls were being treated. Taking matters into his own hands, he had taken the Heer and Meher to live with his family.

Heer smiled when he thought of Lalit chachu, He had loved her father like a brother. In this day and age, when brothers turned enemies, she admired the friendship that had survived a span of 25 years and thousands of miles. Balraj had often related stories about Lalit to Heer and Meher. She remembered the endless rainy nights when their father would sit with them on the patio, reminiscing. She often hoped that her ma and papa-ji were watching from above and seeing the love that the girls were being showered with by Lalit and his family. I hope they are happy, she thought to herself.

The movie ended. Turning off the TV, Heer stretched her arms over her head, the remote still in her hand, debating if she should go up to bed. A shadow fell across her supine figure.  She looked up and saw him standing behind the couch, his mobile held to his ear. It did not look like he had noticed Heer lying on the couch. Immediately the remote clattered to the floor as Heer scrambled to get off the couch.

'What the'' and then 'Oh' good evening,' he said.

'Evening', she mumbled. She sneaked a glance at him and looked away immediately, her eyes searching for the remote. She was a little flushed as she found it and placed it on the table.

'Where is everyone?' he asked.

'Er'they are at the Sharma uncle's son's wedding' she said. 'Umm'good night' she said and walked away from there, trying not to look like she was running. Damn, why do I always do that? Good going Heer, she muttered to herself and she went looking for the maid.

Prem looked at Heer as she walked away, his brow furrowed. He called his brother's mobile

'Preet! Where are you?'

'PB', he heard on the other side and involuntarily moved the phone away as he heard his brother's excited loud chatter from the other side. 'You are back? Wait till I tell mom. Where are you? At home? Stay there. We are leaving in about 15 minutes!'

Smiling, Prem hung up. The flight from London to Mumbai had been long. He had been drinking caffeine and it was surely not going to let him sleep now. Massaging his neck, Prem decided that he'd at least get some work done. He turned to leave when he saw her standing by the door.

'Um'would you like to eat dinner?' she asked him, finally looking at him. He noticed, for the first time perhaps, that she had really beautiful eyes, almond shaped and almost apprehensive as they looked back at him. Her nose was pert and his gaze dropped to her lips. Immediately, he caught himself and said 'No, thanks. Mom and dad are probably on their way, so why don't you go up to bed, hmm?'

Prem stared at her retreating back and mentally kicked himself. What was the matter with him? It must be all the caffeine that had him wired, he thought and walked upstairs to his room. He had a shower and felt better. Changing into jeans and t-shirt went into his adjoining study to get some work done. The study was large and this is where Prem spent most of his time when he was not at the office. The walls were lined with books. There was a huge desk, equipped with a state of the art computer system and all possible telecommunication equipment that he' d need to keep in touch with the outside world.

In the 25 years that Lalit Juneja had lived in Toronto , he had amassed a huge fortune. Prem, it seemed, had inherited his father's skill for making money. After graduation from Harvard Business School , Lalit had assumed that Prem would return home and take over as the CEO of Juneja Holdings Inc. But Prem had defied his father and started an investment firm, in partnership with his friend through college, Atul Tandon. And 5 years later, it seemed like there was no turning back. JT Investments Inc had become huge, with offices in the US and UK . When Lalit had announced that he wanted to come back to India for good, Prem had not blinked an eye. He had just taken it into his stride, informing his dad that they had been thinking of expanding to Asia and Mumbai would be perfect.

Prem's younger brother, Harman, was being groomed to take over from Lalit. Preet was the youngest. Prem smiled when he thought of Preet. The two brothers shared a bond that was unique. Preet adored his PB and was always at odds with his father. At 18 Preet had shown an interest in fashion photography. His father had been furious, categorically refusing to allow his youngest son to while away his time in what Lalit considered a worthless career. Prem had stepped in and convinced his dad. Preet had studied photography in New York . He was still weighing all his options as to what he wanted to do moving forward.

Prem finished sending the fax to Atul and yawned. Stretching his arms, he leaned back in his chair and closed his eyes. He was not sure how long he slept and woke up with a start when he felt gentle hands brushing his hair. He opened his eyes and smiled up at his mother. She patted his cheek, a liberty only she was allowed. Prem stood up and enveloped her in a hug. 'Prem'tu aagaya.' It was a statement. 'Why don't you go to bed? Bahut der hogayi hai, beta' Gayatri watched her son with a smile, as he rubbed his eyes and took himself off to bed.

Chapter 2

Heer was still lying awake in her bed, when Meher tip toed into the room she shared with her sister.

'Meher, is that you', Heer called out in the dark. A light was switched on and she blinked in the bright light, tying to focus.

'Di! You are still awake?' Meher moved around the room, picking up her night clothes and taking off her jewelry.

'How was the wedding?' Heer asked sitting up and twisting her long, silky hair into a knot. 'Was Ash there?'

'No di. Daljeet chachi was there. She pretended that she did not know me.'

'Accha?' Heer was not surprised. 'It's ok, Meher.'

Meher kept a constant chatter of what happened at the wedding till she got into bed. Heer smiled as her sister turned off the lights and continued her dialogue.

'Di, aap ko pata hai Prem bhaiya is back.'

Heer was really glad that the lights were off. She felt heat rise in her cheeks as she heard his name. 'Hmmm' I met him. Chal so ja ab. I have work tomorrow'

'G'night' Meher said and turned over. Within minutes she was fast asleep. Heer looked over and wished she could fall asleep as easily. Her mind kept drifting back to the first time she had met Prem'

Lalit and Gayatri were overjoyed finding Balraj and Teji's daughters. The first time Gayatri had asked them to call her Ma, Meher had broken down. The healing, it seemed had started. It was only natural that they began calling Lalit, Papa. In the 3 weeks that Heer and Meher had been there, they felt a part of the family. Harman and Preet had made them feel really welcome too. Harman was a little on the quiet side, smiled a lot and seemed more comfortable with his books. Preet was a contrast compared to Harman. He was boisterous and always laughing. His pet project was 'pick-on-dad'. Preet, being the charmer he was, had both the girls opening up to him in no time, especially Heer.

Prem, they had been told, traveled a lot and when in town, he was rarely home. Heer and Gayatri had been laying out the table on one Sunday evening, when Prem had made his much awaited appearance. He had come looking for his mother as soon as he had arrived home. Heer had been in the process of carrying the water jug out to the dining table, when she had bumped into him. She had felt two hands come out to steady her. Looking up, she had seen the most incredible pair of brown eyes, watching her. Promptly, the water jug had slipped and fallen on the tiled floor, splattering water everywhere, including Prem trousers. Heer had stood there, aghast, hands on her mouth and staring at the floor, frozen. Gayatri had come to her rescue. There had been a lot of noise at the dinner table that night, but Heer had been really quiet. She was feeling really stupid and wondered what Prem must have thought. Not that he made any mention of that incident after that. But, it did seem to set a trend. Heer's ability concentrate was shot to pieces every time Prem was in the same room as she. It's a good thing he is not home all that much, she muttered to herself as she turned on to her side. What was it about him that had this effect on her? It was probably the eyes, she thought. Deep, dark and mysterious, just like their owner. They could frost over like ice when he was furious. And like warm, dark melted chocolate, when he was happy. This was Heer's last thought as she fell asleep.

Prem was running late the next day. He had overslept and had to reschedule a meeting. So, when Heer ran into him sent his briefcase flying, he was not in the best of his moods.

'What is the matter with you?' he said harshly. 'Look what you've done! Damn!' He started collecting his scattered papers, muttering. He glanced up. Heer was staring at him with misery. Prem noticed that her eyes started filling up and she was massaging her shin.

'Are you hurt?' he asked slowly, gesturing. She shook her head, turned and ran down the stairs.

'Damn!'

Heer went downstairs, choking back her tears. Her leg hurt, but she wouldn't admit that to him. It wasn't like it was her fault. How was she to know that he would be walking down the hall at that exact moment? He must think I am a basket case or something, she thought.   

Everyone was seated at the dining table. Meher was still sleeping. Preet never came down before 10 am, if he could help it. Lalit and Harman were finishing up breakfast and getting ready to leave.

'Come beta. Eat your breakfast. Aaj school nanin jana?' Gayatri poured tea for Heer.

'Ji maa. Today is the last day of exams. Summer holidays start one week from today' she said sitting down and smiling at Gayatri.

Heer worked at St. Augustine , a school run by the nuns, for under- privileged and poor children. Lalit was on the board of trustees and it had been his idea, said it would keep her occupied. Today, in 2' months she had been there, Heer was really glad. It felt, probably for the first time, that her life had purpose and even though she lacked experience, tried to make up for it with her enthusiasm.

'Morning', Prem said as he walked in and took his seat opposite to Heer. She did not look up, but continued sipping her tea.

'Morning bhai,' Harman said. 'Aren't you late today?' Prem shrugged and said, 'I had an accident,' as he buttered his toast.

Heer looked up, her eyes flashing. If he was going to blame his lateness on that one incident upstairs, then she'd have something to say! Prem was looking at her with a half smile, as if he had expected this reaction. Heer felt her cheeks warm and looked down quickly.

'Accident? What accident?' Lalit asked, wanting to know.

'Nothing, dad. I overslept'

'Tu bhi na'kabhi kabhi dara hi deta hai,' said Gayatri, pouring his coffee.

Heer finished her breakfast and went to the library to pick up her books. Prem watched her walk away. He observed that she had beautiful hair, jet black and silky, falling below her shoulders and wondered what it would feel like to beneath his fingers. He frowned. Ok, so he blamed the caffeine and lack of sleep yesterday, but this? He'd tried to stay clear of emotional entanglements for he just did not have the time. His motivation was to make something of himself and not be just Lalit Juneja's son. 'Prem'', his mother was saying.

'Sorry. Kya baat hai, mom?'

'Kahan kho gaya hai tu, uh? Anyway, I was saying that Sharma-ji was asking about you yesterday. Why don't you call them and congratulate them?

'Ok ma. Will do'

'Pata hai, everyone was asking when there is going to be a wedding in our family'

Prem groaned. Oh no, not this again. 'Mom'' he started.

Gayatri was not listening. 'You are 29 already. Don't you think it is time you started thinking of marriage?'

Chapter 3 to be posted on Saturday!!

Edited by sshekar - 15 years ago
x.sunayna.x thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
I can't wait till Saturday!!!!!!
That was an awesome chapter!
haha- when Prem and Heer bumped into each other!
LOL!
?xXx?
Sunayna
= ]
sshekar thumbnail
I can't wait till Saturday!!!!!!
That was an awesome chapter!
haha- when Prem and Heer bumped into each other!
LOL!
?xXx?
Sunayna

Thank you Sunayana! I am glad you enjoyed it...I loved writing every bit of it!
-Rani- thumbnail

Hello Smitha..how u doing?really..a very nice FF I must say..very different..even though there is no character sketch..it doesn't matter..because everything is understood..looking forward for the next part..

angel82 thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
That was a beautiful start...Part 1 & 2 were beautifully written...I like how uneasy heer feels everytime she sees Prem and him noticing her beauty one by one...Eagerly waiting for saturday to read the next part....

You are Smitha rite? I'm Angie..
ashpush thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 2
ohhhhhhhhhhhh dat as really gud...
please update sooooooooooooooon..
can't wait
sshekar thumbnail
Hello Smitha..how u doing?really..a very nice FF I must say..very different..even though there is no character sketch..it doesn't matter..because everything is understood..looking forward for the next part..

hi rani! good to hear from you. thank you 😃 i am glad you liked it.
i did not want to add the character sketches in the beginning as i wanted the readers to find out about the characters as the story proceeds...😉 i will add chapter 3 on saturday! c u then!