ArHi SS: Heartbeat Radio - Completed - Page 13

Posted: 10 years ago
10. Spaces

The greatest love stories are wedged on beginnings of a tragedy.

She shoves words into spaces where they aren't supposed to go - cramming them in tiny crevices where no one would bother a second glance. Talking is her way of escaping the cagey feeling she gets while surrounded by happiness that involves Arnav and Lavanya. The family is making their relationship official and for a nano second she hopes for Arnav to refute.
He smiles instead.

Arnav was like an edge of cliff where depth is both daunting and alluring at the same time.  

Its a party with its ironic subtlty of declaring the world the relationship of Arnav and Lavanya. Her family is invited, of course. They mingle, mix and find people to talk to. She stands in balcony, the cotton of her sari not providing the warmth her skin demands. She takes the bite of chill in the air with gritted teath and jackrabbiting heart. She wants to curl into the shadow of the corner and hide till everyone is gone and the ebb of lights and laughter died out. Her lips crack with constant worry of her teeth on them.

"You aren't inside."

She doesn't turn around jerkily or flail under sudden intrusion on her quiet time. She heard his footfalls and the waft of his perfume before he entered balcony. She holds her ground and her movements are surprisingly still; gracious even.

"Noisy. Crowdy. Bright-y." She decides on neanderthal monoworded response.
"Too many adverbs in your answer, don't you think?" The easeness in his voices cramps her chest. He is happy. Why wouldn't he be? He won the unannounced contest going on between him and his grandma and the party was the way his grandma was approving of his relationship with Lavanya. So everything was coming together for me. While she was left in the sidelines questioning her sanity.

"Probably." She cannot help but quirk her lips. Arnav chuckles shaking his head and her stomach churns.

"I read somewhere that JK Rowling was criticized a lot for the generous use of adverbs in her books." He comes up to stand next to her and sees her watching parking lot. Her quirks and actions still manage to surprise him.
"But she got what she wanted. So who cares," she replies loftily and proceeds to empty the glass in her hand. Apple juice, Arnav notices distractedly.
"You weren't inside when grandma introduced Lavanya to everyone." His tone has an edge of accusation to it. Khushi stomps down the bubble of irritation that gurgles in her throat.

"Why? You got what you were fighting for. Did you want my blessing or something?" She congradulates herself for maintaining aloofness though she wants to hurl her body away from everything that was Arnav.

Arnav looks surprised and his shoulders stiffens. "No...I thought you would be happy to see Lavanya. You helped a lot in making her what she is today, you know?" Arnav seems genuinely confused.

Khushi gapes at him. "Lavanya has always been amazing Arnav. I always thought being onself was enough. For you and your family, it clearly isn't." She slams half emptied glass on table and catches railing tightly to contain the irritation that has been building since the day Lavanya opened up to her.

Arnav narrows his eyes, humor long gone from them. "Bit late to go around with that moral compass isn't it? I mean you took the job without much fight, didn't you? No one forced you or anything."

She shrugs knowing it would irritate Arnav. "They aren't the same." She lashes out. She doesn't know what's right and whats wrong. She doesn't know if she crossed some sort of line drawn between two humans in terms of respect and understanding.
She doesn't know why she didn't refuse when her first instinct was absolute annoyance towards the offered task. Was it the distant hope of placing herself better than Lavanya in front of Arnav and his family? Or was it showing off the supposed knowledge Arnav's grandma thought was necessary to become a member of the family. Or was it all a subconscious ruse to get closer to Arnav?

Arnav clutches her arms and pulls her towards him. "Get off that high horse of yours Khushi. You and I aren't all that different." His tone has lost the ease and lightness it had few moments ago.

"Stop touching me without my permission." She hisses. Arnav drops her arms and takes several steps back as if burnt. She absently runs her fingers on her arms where his palm had been to soothe the angry imprint of his fingers. She walks away from the balcony but his voice stops her.

"Don't forget to collect the payment for your hardwork. With the way the night has turned out, you may even get a bonus."

He walks past her without as much as a glance.

His words aren't cruel. It was said with much indifference to an employee by an employer. She had foolishly thought it would end up being otherwise.

"I'll cash your cheque in morning." She calls out.

She takes great pleasure in the way he fists his palms and the tension that sets between his shoulders. She whispers a good-bye in her mother's ears and steps outside Raizada mansion.

Things are far from over between them. But for tonight, she was done.

And this one slams right into my chest, powerful and potent - like two angry waves colliding in the ocean, just because they can't help do anything but.

What a frikking brilliant whirlpool - you hurt and you prod because anything else would hurt right back. You revel in the way the other responds, fire for every flame and yet, you know the end is nothing but scorched earth.

But there will be rain. Someday. And the earth will rejoice again. But for now, burn, heart, burn!

greenteaholic - one of your best pieces this. But then I say that about everything you write now :)
Originally posted by greenteaholic

\

Khushi gapes at him. "Lavanya has always been amazing Arnav. I always thought being onself was enough. For you and your family, it clearly isn't." 

I was hoping somebody says this. The way they made Khushi train Lavanya was preposterous, why did Lavanya even agree to it? If only the show would incorporate some respect for individuals (any fans- please refrain from arguing, not trying to hurt you)
This one was much less vague. I liked the insight and the conversation (argument) :P
Originally posted by meera30

And this one slams right into my chest, powerful and potent - like two angry waves colliding in the ocean, just because they can't help do anything but.

What a frikking brilliant whirlpool - you hurt and you prod because anything else would hurt right back. You revel in the way the other responds, fire for every flame and yet, you know the end is nothing but scorched earth.

But there will be rain. Someday. And the earth will rejoice again. But for now, burn, heart, burn!

greenteaholic - one of your best pieces this. But then I say that about everything you write now :)

Yes, someday it will rain. I wonder if everything will be washed away by then or the cracks are so deep and so large that no amount of rain can cool the lava flowing between them. Only time will tell.

Thanks Meera :-)
Originally posted by ivre

I was hoping somebody says this. The way they made Khushi train Lavanya was preposterous, why did Lavanya even agree to it? If only the show would incorporate some respect for individuals (any fans- please refrain from arguing, not trying to hurt you)
This one was much less vague. I liked the insight and the conversation (argument) :P

Its not going to be vague anymore. I started this story with a definite ending in mind and everything from start to pen-ultimate chapter is a wrestle with words and emotions. How I get to that point is challenging but as far as the characters behave in a specific way with slowly changing ways, am good :-)

Yeah, I had to shoot it down and build the story surrounding that. Khushi finds Arnav's ways irritating and insulting for once and Arnav sees her perspective on things that actually matter.
Oh mannn!!!!!what is this...such a brilliant n powerful piece of writing...i am speechless...
Originally posted by shijinareneesh

Oh mannn!!!!!what is this...such a brilliant n powerful piece of writing...i am speechless...

Thank you.
Aphelion - 1: Kaleidoscope

Love will find a way where hatred is weary to stay. Love flourishes between ignored spaces and unspoken apologies. They can choose anyone but they end up gravitating towards each other. They can choose to ignore the fondness blossoming between each other, but they don't. They look at each other as if their fates were conspired by thousand angels and fate herself ensured they meet.

But the supernova that took place post their meeting was too bright for anyone to see what really transpired. Angels or not, the unspoken language of attraction is still an enigma which isn't decrypted by anyone yet. Its still a mystery why she looks disappointed at the heat behind his words instead of hurt where as he looks more broken than angry.

They say too much without saying much. They realize too much after a dragged series of emotional complexities brought on by misunderstanding. It seems like the moment they turn away from each other is last, the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back but a dozen moments later, they are back on their feet, heels digging to the ground and a new era spawns around them.

It makes everything and everyone around them dizzy, a crazy spiral of emotions and contradictions but the two of them walk into this hurricane of a mess like taking a stroll in a nice park. It maddeningly spectacular and freakishly normal.

They are to be seen under slow motion - like taking apart the patterns in a kaleidoscope and ensuring the mirrors are blemish free the pieces are fixed. It isn't as much fascinating when it is clinically observed but its the only way to understand the phenomenon.

They are exactly like a kaleidoscope. Once they are observed in complete slow motion and they are taken apart millimeter by millimeter, every expression shoved under a microscope and explored in detail, every world is analyzed and over analyzed for all possible connotation...then its possible to understand the glorious relationship that they make.

Like a kaleidoscope, all their relationship needs is one small turn. A new pattern, a new puzzle, a new enigma emerges.

And we have to go through understanding their relationship all over again.

But you know what the best part is? It will be a completely different story then.

- Going to pick up speed any moment now. Till next Aphelion then!
You actually managed to explain, almost rationally, the very arbitrary interactions between Arnav and Khushi. Calling that 'Aphelion' is such a brilliant idea. It's like saying 'break ke baad' in a much more erudite way.😆 

I was surprised to read Payal's perspective in #9. Usually one gets Anjali as the sibling-with-eyes, but the choice of Payal was interesting. She "pretends" to understand, and patiently waits for the storm to pass. She reminds me of the wall you bounce a ball against when you need to think. It is such an apt characterisation. 

I went "Bravo!" after reading #10. But, also a little sad and worried. It's hard to fathom these two, and their immense capability and sheer willingness to hurt each other.  You know it's going to gut you, but cannot help being fascinated all the same. 

GTH, you are in top form.
Edited by StripePurple - 10 years ago
Originally posted by greenteaholic

Aphelion - 1: Kaleidoscope

They are exactly like a kaleidoscope. Once they are observed in complete slow motion and they are taken apart millimeter by millimeter, every expression shoved under a microscope and explored in detail, every world is analyzed and over analyzed for all possible connotation...then its possible to understand the glorious relationship that they make.

From the time reflected in the wall clock to the color of the bed sheet and the angle of the plant leaf...