Many of you might be frustrated with the current track but here are some of my thoughts and takes on Raji's behaviour with in regards to Karthik.
It is sad to see Raji sitting on the fence rather than taking a side ( either her dad's or karthik's) The thing is, she cannot take a side, for the following reasons: If she was to take her dad's side - she will have to marry the groom of her dad's choice and she cannot because she is in love with Karthik. Furthermore, she will be breaking his heart. If she takes Karthik's side then she might have to separate from her family or she could possibly lose her dad, considering that he has already got a minor attack. Therefore, she is stuck in the mud.
However, there is a major reason behind Raji's confusion...Raji is not just a girl but a traditional girl. She has been taught culture and tradition that which, she cannot break or ignore. For e.g. It is like your name, you cannot forget it unless you get a memory loss. The same way, I consider culture. You are born with it, you have been taught it, you cannot lose it. Not to forget that, Karthik does have some culture but not as much as Raji. He is quite westernised. Furthermore, she is a 'woman'. As I am a woman I can understand her feelings because in every decisions I make, my family comes before my preferences. I always consider my family before doing something. For e.g. How my actions will affect them? I would not do anything that would result in my family facing embarrassment. Similarly, Raji does not want to betray her heart but, at the same time, she does not want to harm her family. For her, both Karthik and her family are important. She cannot lose any of them. I totally respect her. The best solution for this is that Karthik should understand Raji's vulnerability and approach her family. He does not need to hear from Raji, whether she likes him or not. He knows that she likes him, she does not need to say it.
I want to thank the director for portraying Raji as such, because she is a good example for many youths. Hopefully, her character would allow the young society to respect cultural values and beliefs. Furthermore, hopefully, this would also change many youths' perspective towards family.