Views

Users

Frequent Posters

GirlOfFire thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 6
Posted: 10 years ago

Answering Post - 3

First things First

My apologies for the delay in updating. It's been a weird week for me, since I was working on a deadline. Thankfully, I've sorted all that out and can focus on DH again. This is a pet project of mine, and along with writing it as fan fiction, the fiction version of it is going up on my blog. I've put the link up on my Index page (see signature below). I wrote this story against the advice of my most regular readers, that's how important this story is to me. 

My thanksto all the people who nominated me in the Fan Fiction awards. Its awesome to know that when I started writing I wasn't aware of these awards, and my only wish was to share stories with these wonderful epic characters. It was extremely touching for me, and I am very humbled by your appreciation! So I thank y'all all again. 

Chapter 13/14 (05-26-2013)

The Truth About Khushi' Past

Khushi's past will come out bit by bit. It is after all, what sets this whole story in motion. She holds the answers - as Arnav has already been told. But he has to find them. It may or may not be what he is looking for and yes, Anjali's fate hangs in the balance - his actions will determine it.

Arnav is away for a month

Mustering takes time. Taking a thousand head of cattle across the state of Texas can be a long drawn out affair. I put the number 1 month in arbitrarily - it could take longer, but I doubt it could take less time. I've driven from El Paso to San Antonio myself, stopping only for food, and gas (petrol), and it took us about 10 hours to do the trip at 75 miles per hour average speed. So I figure the cattle would take at least a lot more time than that! 

Stockyards are places where cattle would be held and auctioned. Fort Worth is one of the best known stockyards during that period although El Paso also had stockyards. Even today, the stockyards at Fort Worth near Dallas are a tourist attraction!

Communication in the 19th Century

In the series, Arnav was always connected - the bluetooth was the butt of many a joke. But take away the BlueTooth, the laptop, the internet, even the basic postal system and the rail road. For us, its mind boggling to think about life like that. But there are parts of the world that still exist like that. Few, but still they are there. Without the instant communication that we enjoy today as a necessity, life could be hard. Today if a child goes missing, Amber alerts along highways flash information almost as soon as its known. But in those days, in the wilds, if someone went missing, people might not even know about it for days, months, even years! How hard life must have been. And yet, how much more simple!

ArHi moments

Many of you asked me about ArHi moments. Of course, there'll be ArHi moments. It is after all, their love story. But it's also a Western with a bit of intrigue thrown in. So, now that Arnav is away, its time for them to take stock of their 'relationship'. It's new to them, it's sweet and it's being welcomed. Allow them some space to develop those feelings. 

Of course, as many of you have googled already - Shi'aad means 'my wife' and Shikaa means husband. In essence, Arnav has already accepted her as his better half. Of course, Khushi doesn't know about it, yet!

Shyam's character

Shyam is the key to the story, as you've guessed by now. While Khushi sets the action in motion, Shyam sets the intrigue in motion. And I've always wondered about his character so, this is a little spin on it. I can't say much more, but I hope you will enjoy what I have in store for him. 

Edited by GirlOfFire - 10 years ago
GirlOfFire thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 6

Chapter 15 - Near and Far

'What the hell was that?' NK said. 'When did Shyam Manohar Jha get so neighborly?'

Arnav nodded grimly. 'Yeah. I wonder what he's up to.'

'Does it have anything to do with Miss Anjali?' NK asked as the two of them rode slowly back together. 'Or Miss Khushi?'

Arnav raised an eyebrow. NK was astute. How he knew about Shyam courting Anjali was a mystery. They'd never spoken of it. But if NK knew, the rest of the crew probably did, too. Not that it mattered really. Circle-R was run as a family ranch, and quite a few of the hands had their families either on the ranch itself or in Yerba.

'I don't know, NK. But I did warn him about his men yesterday, so ...' he shrugged. He switched the topic. 'We're still missing some cattle, NK. But if we stop for them now, we'd be late for the auctions. So let's leave them be.'

NK nodded. The days ahead would be long and tiring. The cattle would have to be kept fed and watered, so they looked their worth. He wanted Circle-R to look their best. He and ASR had a lot to keep themselves occupied during the drive. Besides, he couldn't wait to be in Fort Worth. He gave his horse a little dig, the horse responded and galloped away towards the front of the herd.

Khushi slowly crept out of the bed, making sure not to disturb the two sleeping bundles next to her. She'd put Drew and Dev down for their afternoon naps and they would sleep for the next few hours. She went to  the adjoining room and saw Mamie tidying up. 

'Mamie,' she said softly. 

'Yes, Miss Khushi?' the woman turned to her with a smile on her swarthy face. 

'The boys are taking their afternoon nap. Can you please keep an eye on them? I'm going down for a bit.'

'Sure thing, Miss Khushi. Just leave that door open so I know if the little fellas wake up,' Mamie replied.

'Thank you, Mamie,' Khushi smiled back at her. She followed her nose downstairs to the kitchen where Anjali was sitting at the table peeling potatoes, and JP was stirring something in a pot. 

'Miss Khushi!' Anjali exclaimed on seeing her. 'Are the boys asleep?' 

'Yes, Miss Anjali,' Khushi joined her at the table, pulling a basket of beans towards her and beginning to break off the ends. 'They'll be quiet for a while, now.'

Anjali sighed. 'They're quite the handful, aren't they?' 

Khushi nodded smiling. 'Yes, they are. But they're such lovable handfuls.' she said. 

Anjali smiled at that. 'Miss Khushi, I can't tell you how glad I am since you and your family have become our neighbors,' she said in her soft voice. 'I've found new friends in you and Payal, and you're a godsend to my twins. They just love you,' she said sincerely. 'As for my brothers,' she grinned a little wickedly. 

JP snorted at the stove. They both looked at him. He kept his back turned to them. 

Anjali ignored him. 'Does Miss Payal tell you anything about Akash?' she was settling in for a long gossip session. 

'No, Miss Anjali,' Khushi grinned back at her. 'But he does come to check up on my father every week. Besides I don't know if they meet when Payal goes to town, but she does that every week, too.'

They both giggled together at the thought of their siblings together. They were two such shy people! The growing affection between Payal and Akash was really hard to ignore. Akash had made it a point to visit Box-Lightning everyday until Shashi Gupta was out of his bed and fully on the road to recovery. He'd also tended to Khushi during that time. He'd given her the all-clear in ten days, so she could start riding again. Now, three weeks after those horrendous days, Khushi had come back to Circle-R, going back to her job again. 

'Miss Anjali,' Khushi said, 'would you mind if I went out for a ride?'

'No, absolutely not, Miss Khushi,' Anjali said. 'But don't go too far,' she added anxiously, remembering the time that Khushi had gone missing. Arnav was not here now, and if anything happened to her, she wouldn't hear the end of it from him. She'd heard from Akash about how Arnav had brought her back. However, Arnav had never spoken to her about it, being too caught up in the preparations for the muster for her to question him. Khushi though, had filled in some of the gaps. 

'Thank you, Miss Anjali,' Khushi smiled at her, getting up to head out the door. 

She made her way to the stable and Rusty, the seventeen-year-old she'd met her very first morning here, joined her at the door. He was a lot less shy of her now than he'd been then. He also knew that Miss Khushi liked to go on these rides in the afternoon.

'Going for a ride, Miss Khushi? I'll saddle Red for you,' he offered with a cheeky grin. 

'Thank you, Rusty,' she grinned back at him, and waited till he led Red out, ready to go. 

She swung into the saddle and he laid a hand on the bridle. 'Don't go too far, Miss Khushi,' he said softly, his eyes reflecting the same anxiety as Anjali's. No doubt, his boss had made sure he understood that Khushi's safety was his personal concern. 

'I won't, Rusty, and I'll stay on Circle-R,' she promised him. She knew he was only following Arnav's instructions, but she liked to think that Rusty actually worried about her safety. 

He nodded and let the bridle go. She turned the horse and headed towards the back of the house. The path was already familiar to her. It was a short ride to the little clearing that Arnav had brought her to that Sunday so long ago. She slid off the horse, hobbled him, and walked towards the stream. She sat down on the grassy edge, the afternoon sunlight dancing along her skin as it played hide-and-seek with the leaves rustling in the breeze. 

She missed him. 

This was the only place and time that she admitted to herself that she did. She missed his smirk, his honey eyes, his lazy drawl, his husky voice. She missed everything about him. She came to this place almost everyday while she was at Circle-R. She leant her back against a tree, the same tree where he'd held her hand so hard, he'd left bruises.

They had fought here and he'd hurt her, leaving his mark on her skin. She looked at her hand, rubbing the skin that was completely clear of blemishes now. She smiled a little to herself, a smile that hugged her little secret to herself. She'd told everyone the little she knew about her rescue, having been unconscious for the most part. However, she never told them about the night they'd spent together. 

Or the kiss they'd shared. 

The heat flowed under her skin, as her pulses picked up speed. She closed her eyes, almost feeling the softness of his lips on hers, his husky voice in her ears. 'Shi'aad.' She wondered what it meant. Somehow, she didn't think she could ask anyone about it. There'd been something about the way he'd said it to her. She kept her eyes closed, still lost in the wonder of the kiss. Her first kiss. From a man who could easily have her heart. 

Her eyes flew open, blinded by the sunlight dancing along the stream, flashing gold into them. She looked up and the deer stood at the other side of the stream. 

'Did he answer your question?' the deer said. 

She nodded, smiling. 'The little boy, it's Arnav, isn't it?'

The deer looked at her, cocking its head to one side. 'The heart knows it,' it said.

She sat there looking at the deer, sitting cross-legged on the floor. 'Is he the one for me?' she asked.

The deer seemed to smile at her. Then it frowned. 'The coyote is strong. It runs and it hides. It seek to harm the helpless ones.'

She frowned. 'The helpless ones?'

Suddenly, it looked up, turned around and bounded away. 'Wait!' she called. 

She opened her eyes, blinded by the sunlight dancing along the stream, flashing gold into them. She looked around. Red was peacefully grazing beside the trail. She could hear the birds in the trees, the wind rustling through leaves. There was no sign of the deer. She shook her head. It had seemed so real!

'Come on, boy,' she sighed, clambering to her feet. 'Time to go back.'

Payal drew up to the front of the store in Yerba. It was her weekly trip to the town to gather materials. Her little dress making business was keeping her busy these days. Since Khushi was away this week, she had to go to town by herself. She walked up to the front door, and entered the store, wandering around and looking at the materials on display. 

'Miss Payal!' she heard an exclamation from behind her, turning to see Ela standing there. 'I thought it was you,' Ela's dimples flashed into view. She hugged Payal and said, 'well, how are you? and how is your father?' real concern in her voice.

Payal returned the hug and said, 'my father is much better, thank you, Miss Ela.' 

'And how is Khushi?' Ela asked about her erstwhile employee.

'Much better now, too. She had gone to Circle-R this week,' Payal said. 

Ela grinned at her. 'Are you going to be here long?' she held Payal's hands in her hers. 'Perhaps you can come by the Wild Bull.'

Payal's eyes widened. She really wasn't looking forward to spending time in the saloon. 

'Don't worry,' Ela said, correctly reading her fears. 'We can talk in my room at the back.' 

Payal looked a little relieved at that. Just then the bell above the store's door tinkled. Someone had walked in. 

It was Akash. He looked around the store till he saw her standing there with Ela. He drew a deep breath wondering how this woman could always take his breath away. She looked beautiful today, in a pale pink dress, that flowed over her petite frame, outlining the alluring curves of her body. He didn't even notice the exotic bird standing next to her, his attention focused on Payal. 

'Doc!' said Ela, not in the least surprised to see him here. 

He blinked and looked at Ela, who was smiling in delight. He could feel his cheeks turning warm as he felt like he'd been caught staring. Payal was smiling, too, but was she laughing at him?

'Miss Payal. Miss Ela,' he bowed to them slightly. 'What a surprise!'

'What're you doing here, doc?' Ela asked, one eyebrow raised. 

'Oh ... I ... er.' Really. What was he doing here? He'd seen Payal pass by and followed her in. He could hardly tell Ela that! He looked around wildly for inspiration and spotted some rope on a shelf. 'I needed some rope,' he said, grabbing a bundle.

'Rope?' Ela's eyebrow raised higher, as she tried to hold back her giggle. 'Well. I was just telling Miss Payal here that she should come to the Wild Bull for a chat. But ... maybe not.' She ended cryptically. 

'No,' said Payal. 'Of course, I would love to come by for a chat, Miss Ela.'

Akash closed his eyes in frustration, until Ela said something. 

'Doc?' Ela prompted. He looked at her, dazed. 'I was asking if you would like to join us?' she asked again. 

'Sure,' he smiled. Dammit! He was a man. If he wanted Payal with him, he just ought to be able to say it out loud. 

'Well then,' Ela said with a note of finality. 'I'll wait for you to come by once you finish,' she told Payal. 

'Of course, Miss Ela. We'll see you soon,' she said softly. 

Ela left grinning to herself. 

Akash waited until the door shut before turning to Payal. He walked over to her, holding out her hand. She placed her tiny hand in his, and he raised it to his mouth, whispering a kiss over it. 'I missed you,' he said softly.

'And I, you,' she replied, just as softly. 

'Do we have to go to the Wild Bull?' he asked her hopefully. 

'We told her we would,' she replied, eyes rounded. He let his disappointment show. 'Perhaps just for a little while,' she tried to soothe him. 

'Just for a while,' he agreed, turning around to accompany her as she went around picking her fabrics. 

Shyam walked up the steps to his house wearily. He was back from El Paso, the cattle having been sold quickly. Unlike ASR, he didn't go to Fort Worth this year, preferring to stay closer to home. It had been a long two weeks in the saddle. He was glad he would be sleeping in his own bed tonight. 

Tomorrow though, he would ride out to the Circle-R. He'd missed Anjali. Funnily enough, he missed her kids too. The two children were beautiful. And why not? With a mother as beautiful as her, as sweet as her, they were bound to be the same way. 

He hadn't yet met their tutor, Miss Khushi. He'd heard about her. Initially, he'd been surprised that it was the same girl who'd been working at the Wild Bull. She worked at the Circle-R in the beginning of the week. He rarely went there until Thursday or Friday. So their paths had never crossed since that first time. Then there was that stupid fiasco with Rocky and Manny that had almost got her killed. 

They'd learnt their lesson, though, he thought with a grim smile. They wouldn't be doing anything to anybody close to Miss Anjali in the near future. Not unless he said so ... 

He walked into his bedroom, dropping his clothes as he went, his mind going back to Anjali, feeling the stirring in his blood every time he thought of her, his body hardening instantaneously. He chuckled to himself. He wanted her. He'd never waited so long for a woman. He groaned as he looked at himself in the mirror, clad now only in his drawers, every inch of his smooth hard muscled body in reflected in it, his arousal not hidden within the folds of his underclothes. He smirked. Drew and Dev would have brothers and sisters soon, if he had some say in the matter, as he tossed off his last remaining piece of clothing, before heading into his bathroom. He climbed into the tub, leaning back, sighing with pleasure, letting the warmth soak into him, soothing away the stiffness. 

Tomorrow, he thought. Tomorrow, he would ask Anjali. He smiled to himself. 

Arnav lay on his blanket, his saddle under his head. His hat was pushed back so he could look up at the stars in the sky. Three weeks of traveling, dust, storms, water crises and over a thousand beasts to look after. It had been hard and it had been worth it. Tomorrow they would reach Fort Worth. He was glad this part of the trip was almost over. 

He found himself searching for the Morning Star, the brightest star in the sky. 'Shonsee-array,'  he thought to himself. The morning star. His morning star. And his evening star. She was truly the brightest star in his eyes. How. When. She had become so important to him, he had no idea. His lips curled as he thought of her, sleeping so peacefully in his arms. Her cheeks had that little flush, her long lashes curling on her pale skin, hiding those gorgeous eyes. Her arm looped around his neck. He could feel her, taste her as he lay there. She was fiery and beautiful and vulnerable and smart and sassy. Speaking of, she really had a sassy mouth on her. He smirked as he thought about that mouth once more. Which of course, led him to thinking how it felt and tasted. And the little mole on her right cheek. He rubbed his cheek with his long fingers as if he felt the touch of that mole there. 

He went back to the wigwam to find Khushi still sleeping peacefully. Dressed and ready, he decided it was time to wake her up. He crouched next to the pile of skins and gently pushed back the wayward wisp of hair touching her cheek, his fingers lingering on the mole there. 

'Khushi,' he said, softly, still caressing that mole.

'Mmm?' she mumbled, snuggling back into the covers. 

'Wake up, Khushi,' he said, leaning towards her, his face close to hers. 'It's time we should leave.'

She blinked open her eyes, startled to find his face so close to hers, drowsiness still hanging heavily on her lids. He smiled at her, and she blinked slowly a blissful smile on her face. 

'Sleep well?' he asked. 

She nodded, still not speaking. He bent and kissed her cheek, running his lips softly across that mole. He touched it with the tip of his tongue, feeling a jolt go through him at the soft silkiness of her cheek and the slight bumpiness of the mole. He sucked it into his mouth, his fingers gripping hers tightly as he closed his eyes, tasting heaven on her face. He drew back for a second, looking into her face, the flush of sleep replaced with the heat of desire. Eyes closed, she lay before him. He wanted to crawl back into the blankets and make her his, at that very instance. His arm went around her, helping her up as she slowly opened her eyes again, the pupils dilated, looking into his. He brushed her lips once more with his, allowing himself just this one last taste.  She leaned into him, and he was almost lost as her fingers curled into his shirt. 

Breathing deeply, he pulled away, gathering her into his arms and just holding her. She was injured, for crying out loud. He couldn't take her when she was hurt! Slowly he let her sit straight back up. 

'We have to go,' he said. She nodded, trying to get up and finding it difficult with only one hand. He helped her up. 'I'll send someone to help you dress,' he told her, kissing her forehead before he left the wigwam, while she stood staring at him. 

Edited by GirlOfFire - 10 years ago
3 couples..

2 men left desiring their partners... And the third courting her nicely...
It's good to see the partners also acknowledging their mate..
Anjali loves Shyam..
PayAl loves Akash 
And Khushi has started acknowledging her love for Arnav..
Has Shyam seen Khushi...does he remember her...

I knew since u has come back u would give a double update😉... So I came back for more😉

Thanks..
Edited by msin - 10 years ago
Raila1014 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Even without Kushi, I love this update.  It is setting up the key players in motion and how they will each play an important role - roles that are intertwine with each other.  I am not sure what to make out of Shyam yet, he clearly has been plotting something for a while - is it to get his hand in the land surrounding his or is it to win over Anjali Raizada?  Can't make it out like Arnav and NK I am confused.   Did he take the remaining cattles or is he simply returning those he found?  One thing for sure, welcome back as I have been stalking this story like a hawk going though deprivation.

As soon as I posted the first part, you posted the next chapter and I was so glad that it had Arnav and Kushi in it even if they were not physically together.  It seems they have made peace with each other, at least about the part where they accept the other one as their chosen one.  The deer's parting words hav eme worried though.  Who is the coyote?  Shyam?  Is the shooting piece going to be the secret between them?  Will Shyam remember and blackmail Kushi and try to get his hands on their homes respectively?  I am sitting on red hot coals trying to guess the coyote part . . . Pls update soon
Edited by Raila1014 - 10 years ago
meera30 thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 7
Res. be back in a while. Near and far indeed :)

Edited:

Apologies for the late un-res - busy weekend.

That was a lovely description of the storm - I could almost see the sand whirling in the air as the beasts ravaged everything in their surrounding, the scent of fear and anxiety for loss and damage almost real where I sat and read the update :)

The description of how they are both missing each other was also splendid - of all things warm and fuzzy - like the other "tame" love story that is unfolding between the doctor and the dress-maker

And Shyam - he is the maker of intrigue indeed!

Bring on more!
Edited by meera30 - 10 years ago
vandana.sagar thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 5
Brilliant and more...will come back and write! 
Eccentrica thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 6
Chapter 14:
There's something about Shyam; as a reader we know he has killed a person (and I'm guessing its Anjali's husband) but the way he carries himself in front of the Raizadas is marvellous. he seems to be serious about Anjali but I'm still wary, knowing that it could as well be a trap. But its heartening to know that Arnav sees the undercurrents of evil in him and is alert as well.

Loved the description of the storm, the resultant stampede.

My thoughts exactly on what NK thought...seems like natural calamities have come to the rescue of Shyam.

Chapter 15:
It was indeed a sweet moment for Anjali and Khushi to be talking about their brother ans sister respectively😊

Akash is head over heels for Payal, isn't he? I mean his riveting towards Payal and Payal alone despite the presence of Ela...

its an entirely different Arnav that we see when it comes to Khushi, the softening of him is so evident; looking forward to his return😊
nazca thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
I have seen the Patagonia mustering, it made me just keep my lip tight. Handling the animales is not easy, especially when the livestocks are used to graze freely. So I can understand the return of arnav will take time.

Both are missing each other and are thinking about other, isn't it cute, but the deer... Hope nothing goes wrong.

Regarding marking the territorial boundary I have a doubt, I can guess the terrain, but how the S and R are marking thier boundry? They have just mounted posts or had fence

For cattle muster
(como dicen en modismo)
!!!!! VAMOS ARNAV MIERDA!!!!
Kishmish thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Another chapter ... 😃  Thanks ...

Very aptly named chapter ...

honey-sweety thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Networker 2 Thumbnail

Hmmm Wonderful.