Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

deeswarna thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 10 years ago
arnav is a very interesting man! n he is very intelligent and he may not be saying much but he thinks a lot and he judges things more accurately than others!

its very nice reading arnav's thoughts but i wouldnt mind knowing wat khushi is thinking too! afterall she is going to be a key member in solving all these cases! but i have the feeling that her connection to these cases may be deeper than they appear to be for her to have to been literally scared to death seeing those pics!

ah the famous jalebi! thats wat makes khushi wat she is!

keith seemed to be very taken by miss gupta!

awesome update
momoahmd thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Networker 2 Thumbnail
another awsm update dear...
n
thnxxx 4 da pm...
khushiiXOXO thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Hey! wow! another one!...I have read few of ur other works and just started this one today and am caught up till chapter 6...reading ur stories is just like reading Dan Brown/Stieg Larsson/Robert Ludlum etc & watching those crime thrillers..

interesting,intriguing,head-scratching,nail-biting,eyes-popping are some of d words to describe ur works!

_disha_ thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
Arnav. Shukla and Kieth had a quick brain storming session on route to meet Khushi... but their meeting turned out quite informal to my surprise! Khushi obviously knows lot more and Arnav is aware of that...how they dish out information we shall see.

YaSha0512 thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
Wow nice update
So vimal was like an instrument maybe to do the killers will?
Loved at dinner how Arnav was silent letting the others talk whilst he kept on watching khushi n sharing eye locks with her
Can't wait to see them becoming closer n finding out how khushi is involved with all this. Hopefully we'll soon see Arnavs protectiveness n maybe even possessiveness for khushi soon
Looking forward to seeing this story unravelling
Thanks for pm plz keep em cominEdited by YaSha0512 - 10 years ago
-Aria- thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 6

R!
Edited by -Aria- - 10 years ago
lakraj80 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
It's beautiful. Wonder who or what is khushi afraid of? Thanks for the pm.
RockBarbie thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 8

[Reid, Hotchner, and Prentiss are at the train station where the latest victim was abuducted.]

Reid: You're here to target a woman but you don't want to attract attention.
Hotch: Well, standing in the middle gawking at passing women is going to attract attention. [sees Reid gawking at passing women] Like you're doing now.
Reid: [snaps out of trance] What's that?
Prentiss: And just like that, [snaps fingers] an IQ of 187 is slashed to 60.

--- Criminal Minds

Chapter 07:

I am in backseat of my car with Khushi. Keith managed to pluck keys from my hand after one look at my eyes and the dark circles surrounding them. My insomnia is worse than ever and my juniors are smart enough to notice and not comment about it.

Eating out was a good idea and inviting Khushi was even better. Shukla and Keith had let go of calling her as professor Gupta the moment she asked them to call her by her given name.

I rest my forearm on the window and close my eyes as the wind ruffles my hair. Dusk is slowly dissolving into night and there is a faint twinkling of stars in clear sky. I make shapes of symbols from crime scene using stars as guiding point. I formulate all questions once more in my head hoping Khushi would be able to answer more than half of them. Night deepens and the suburban traffic thins with passing minute. My eyes feel heavy but I force them to stay open. I am not ashamed to fall asleep on drive with my colleagues in car. This simply isn't a good time.

There are no more knots in my forehead or crick in my neck. The drive to the crime scene is good to my body and I let out a sigh of pleasure when breeze cools my nose. I lean back on the seat when I car pass the familiar street.

"You don't sleep much, do you?" Khushi asks me. There is sheen of worry in her eyes and her mouth is tightly set. I smile at her charmingly which I can see has thrown her out of balance. She hadn't expected my megawatt smile.

"Let's go in," I respond instead. Keith and Shukla are already by the door. Keith uses my car key and breaks the seal on front door.

Khushi winces the moment she enters the house.

"It's the smell of all the blood here. The crime scene is still preserved." Shukla tells her kindly. He sighs when he looks at the multitude of footprints in the hall. "At least what's left of it," he adds looking at me. Khushi doesn't understand the last part and looks at me for clarification.

"Sometimes the constables we post outside a crime scene don't follow our orders and end up letting in reporters or anyone with a microphone and a camera." I don't hide disappointment in my voice and Khushi nods at my explanation.

"Crime scene is this way." Keith calls her from inside. Khushi walks past me and Shukla and enters the room. She double takes at the sight of blood and holds her grimace.

She takes out crime scene photos I emailed her earlier and has even gotten them enlarged; they are all photos of Vimal's body. She places the photos on the table just how Vimal was found.

"We could have shown you Vimal," Keith tells her feeling uncomfortable to be surrounded by bloodied walls.

"This will work too," Khushi replies.

Once she is satisfied with the photo arrangement she looks at the entire crime scene.

After several moments of silence, I blurt. "What do you see?"

Khushi smiled. "You see this symbol here?" She points to Vimal's naval area which is surrounded by several smaller symbols. The three of us peer at her finger closely. "This tells us the reason behind this ritual."

Keith looks disgusted. "The reason is marked on him? That's cold man…that's cold." He runs his hands in his hair and rocks on his heels.

Khushi's eyes are still transfixed on the photos. But she looks up to explain her view better. "Every ritual has a reason. Just how every action we do in daily life is associated with a reason, these rituals are no different. Reason can be anything – darker the reason complex is the ritual."

"What do you mean by dark reason?" Shukla is intrigued. I have a vague idea of what's going on but I don't want to take my theory to the table yet.

Khushi chews her lower lip for a moment and thinks. "These rituals come with a cost. It's believed that the person who conducts the rituals should be as pious and disciplined as possible. People who commission these rituals would be giving a part of themselves to achieve their goal Inspector Shukla. Nature doesn't just give without taking something from you first. That's how you maintain a balance."

Keith blinks at her. "You lost me."

"Let's say, I am the high priestess of the tribe who can perform the rituals – the person who is believed to have the power to call upon dark elements of nature and make them do your bidding." I can sense her voice quiver a little but she masks it effectively by pacing around the table. I idly wonder why she refuses to look at me the whole time. "A client comes to me and asks me to help him get promotion in office because he doesn't believe that he can beat the person standing between him and the promotion. So what I do is perform a small ritual which makes him achieve his goal. But the rules are strict and it asks him to give up something."

Keith nods in understanding. "Frigging complicated, if you ask me." We chuckle at that but no one responds.

"What does this one suggest?" Shukla asks pointing to Vimal's naval area.

Only now Khushi looks at me. I do not know the reason for that but her eyes bore into mine. "Someone wanted his power." Her voice is shaky but I can see she is trying her best to control.

No one speaks for several minutes. Khushi is observing the wall and my eyes manage to get stuck on that one damn symbol. It was the symbol of high priestess and Khushi vouched in morning that it wasn't possible. She hadn't answered my question then; I still remember.

"Is it really the tribe's work?" Keith asks the question which is swimming in all our minds.

Khushi turns around and faces us with an unreadable expression. "No, this isn't the work of that tribe. This is a cheap rip-off." Anger laced her words. I am surprised at her outburst.

"Are you sure?" I ask hesitantly.

She nods. She walks to the wall directly in front of the table and points to the symbol which is bothering me. "This is wrong." She taps it with her gloved hand fervently.  "The symbol's position, size, orientation – everything is wrong. The body position is not right. The symbols which are used here are indeed correct but their arrangement is wrong." There was visible relief in her voice.

"I don't understand what you are trying to say here Khushi." Shukla questioned.

"Someone is trying to mimic what they are not Inspector Shukla. This is not an act of people from that tribe!" Khushi snorted in amusement. "It is someone who has enough knowledge about the culture and has probably interacted with the real members of the tribe. And this person or group of people is using that said culture to make profit."

"It could be possible that they haven't learnt properly about their own culture, isn't it?" Shukla pressed.

Khushi shook her head. "That's not possible as far as I understand this tribe Inspector. But then again, you never know." She shrugged.

"How sure are you about this?" I intervene. Shukla and Keith look at me questioningly but I ignore them for the moment. Her theory complements what I was thinking couple of hours ago quite nicely.

She simply looked at me with a raised eyebrow. "If the guy who killed Vimal made a mistake in this crime scene, then he would have made in others too, right?" I ask the room.

Shukla perks up at that. "Those old case files I dug up…"

I nod at him. Khushi bristled. "Wait. Are you saying there are more of these crimes?" Her voice is strangled. She is still fighting a fear. That's another mystery I will have to solve along with this case.

"I have narrowed down seventeen of them dating back to more than two decades. I need you to look at them and tell us if they fall into this pattern." I ask her. There is urgency in my voice and she notices it almost immediately.

"I can do that." She replies gently.

"Do you know what kind of person or people we are looking for?" Keith asks.

Khushi takes her gloves off and stares at a symbol thoughtfully. "The person who did this or who is orchestrating all this is well versed in the culture."

"And you mentioned a high priestess who might be in charge of," Keith cottoned on. Khushi nodded.

"And this person will have resources – both money and personal." She frowned as her eyes scanned the walls once again. "I do not understand the motive bit here but it could be simply money or power. My bet is on power; if the person is adhering to standards of the tribe, then it would be power they would be interested in. A standing or position in the society will be promised."

"How many people can there be who knows this stuff?" Shukla wondered. I don't want to go there right now. It makes our perspective skewed and narrow minded. But I cannot escape the inevitability what I have already predicted.

"Keith," I begin. "Find out everything about Vimal. I mean everything." I stress the last part. In one week Keith will tell me every private detail, even the ones he has hidden from his friends and family.

"You think he holds key to the mystery?" Shukla asks me.

"Him and Helen. He probably got pulled into something he didn't want to because of Helen." I look at Vimal's photo on the table and strangely enough, there is no sympathy within me for that man.

"Can we go now?" Keith asks weakly. He is paler than usual and I can understand the nausea. Shukla doesn't wisecrack today – strange, and we pile out of the house together. The constable comes running to us and covers the main door with another new tape.

It escapes all of us that Khushi is still with us. The ride back to the station is filled with discussions with Khushi explaining many facets of the tribe to us and how it didn't fit with what was done in the room. She was convinced that someone was copying the rituals albeit badly.

Only when the car pulled into the lot, the three of us looked at Khushi.

Shukla and Keith spluttered apologies. Khushi and I exchange glance to see the two of them offering her to drive. "I am headed home for a bit. I will drop her." I announce once again pulling my rank.

Keith turns and goes to the station and Khushi walks back towards the car. Shukla stares at me blatantly without an expression on his face.

"Oh, shut up." I huff in annoyance. A smile creeps on his face and disappears soon.

"Try not to come back to station." To any observer it's just words. Only I can dissect the emotions behind them. I shrug noncommittally and walk to the car.

She is standing by the passenger door waiting for me. Under moonlight she looks like someone from centuries ago manifested in modern day. She lacks the accessories that women tend to associate themselves with. Everything about her was natural.

Then why have I started to get this feeling that something was terribly out of the place?

Why this feeling that she was hiding something really important from me?

Reader commendation: P4rveen12 - Your comments are always a ray of sunshine. From giving your perspective on update to thanking for the PM you received. Really, I should be grateful for the continual support since I started writing Gravity. I know that I do not answer all your questions because many times you ask questions which are necessarily the crux of the plot. I must apologize if you thought I have you ignored or put it in back burner. Trust me, it isn't so.

Thank you so much for your comments. 

vgedin thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 5
Me ! 

~Unres~

Money, power, love, anger, jealousy - all crimes - they always boil down to one of these.. 

I first thought someone is trying to mimic the tribe in order to escape the police's suspicion. But now its a whole different game - someone who want to rise up the social hierarchy and gain power. And if he did kill Vimal to have his powers - that means Vimal was in some way related to this tribe. Through Helen, presumably. 

There are more such people - there is no way of knowing how many people are aware of such a thing, how many are a part of it, and how many are outsiders looking for a way of taking advantage of this. And to me Khushi is a bigger mystery than any of this - she seems to hold the key to this tribe-mystery - but what is she hiding? Why is she always on guard? Why can't she meet Arnav's eyes at some instances? 

Arnav - he is aware of the brilliance and charm of his smile :D Thats quite the weapon, eh ? He looks at the stars and draws patterns related to the case. Sigh, he is...intriguing :) 
Edited by vgedin - 10 years ago
Kalyaani thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 6

We have an intelligent killer on our hands, who is aware and is using the knowledge for benefit. I am of the opinion the whole symbol arrangement was done different for self-preservation. As Khushi rightly said the ones who do the rituals are in a way affected too. A lot like vashikarna, a ritual done to gain power or control over someone (a few well know politicians are known to conduct such rituals to keep their presence strong in the corridors of power).

I was a little taken aback when Khushi said "Let's say, I am the high priestess of the tribe who can perform the rituals – the person who is believed to have the power to call upon dark elements of nature and make them do your bidding." She knows more than she is sharing and Arnav is sharing more with her than he should, either way we are all waiting to read more.

Edited by Kalyaani - 10 years ago