Arshi FF - Dusty Haven - [TH#2 Link on Index Pg 1] - Page 31

Posted: 10 years ago
Just read the prologue. Awesome writing. And intriguing start. There were such heart stopping moments. And visualistic.
Would read the rest later. :) Edited by Anupama. - 10 years ago
Thank god for the spirits that communicate with Nanny Raizada else she would have got the DILs all mixed up...😊

Enjoyed the whole ASR v/s Aman that was going there...
And ASR going all protective over Miss Gupta...great things to come in the future updates i am sure.
What a super cute update and 2 at that.😊

Till the next update and thanks for the PM

Oh my god!!!!!!!
They were a bunch of kick ass updates...AAHHH WRITER NOW U HAVE MADE ME FAMISHED FOR MORE...god i love asr ohk...he is just too hot to handle...
Eagerly waiting for the next one,s ...believe me while say this...u r as good as a proffessional reknowned author:-
read all d updts at once 
loved it
i hope shashi accepts asr proposal
arhi❀️
plz do pm me fr futr updts 

Chapter 8 - Meeting the Guptas

Shyam swung down from the big, black horse, and tied it to the railing. He glanced around him, noting the two men painting the barn. The horses in the corral looked groomed and fed. He narrowed his eyes. The homestead still had a lot of work that needed to be done on it, though. No matter. The potential of the Box-Lightning far outweighed the work that would have to be done on it. 

He knocked on the door, waiting hat in hand for it to be opened. 

A fat woman, her eyes lost in her chubby cheeks, stared at him as she opened the door. 'Si?' she asked. 'What do you want?'

'Mornin', ma'am,' he bowed slightly, although it was coming up to noon soon. 'I'm Shyam Manohar Jha, your neighbour. I own the Striking-S.' He smiled, the little dimples next to his lips visible even through the goatee on his face. 

She smiled politely. 'Come in,' she said, moving back and allowing him to step inside. 

The living room had a cosy, lived-in feel to it. She gestured him towards a comfortable couch and he sat down, as she made herself comfortable on the one facing it. 

'What can I do for you, Senor Jha?' she asked. 

'I'd like to meet Shashi Gupta,' he said. 

'Wait here, por favor. I'll get him,' she said, smiling at him. She was gone from the room, shutting the door quietly behind her, not letting him see inside. 

A short while later the door opened and Shashi walked in. He was surprised to see a man of about thirty years old, tall, good looking standing up as he walked in. He took in the neat hair, the soft eyes and the smile on the face. The man was dressed in a light brown shirt and dark jeans. He sighed. With two pretty daughters in the house, young men always came calling. Even when they had just moved in. 

He shook hands with Shyam and said, 'do sit down, Mr. Jha. It's nice of you to come calling.'

'Least I could do, sir,' Shyam had a mellifluous voice, deep and resonant. 'We're neighbors, and this here's a friendly place. Welcome to Yerba.'

Shashi nodded. 'Thank you,' he replied.

'I wasn't aware that Rudi had sold the ranch to you,' Shyam said. 'Not till a few days ago.'

So we come to the point of the visit, thought Shashi, his face impassive. 'Yes. I was looking for one, and he sold it to me.'

Shyam nodded. 'I wish he'd told me. I would've ...' he shook his head and leaned forward. 'You know that Rudi was very broken after his son's death. He neglected the place. It must've been a shock for you to see how rundown it was. I offered so many times to help him. But he wouldn't accept it. He was a proud man, Rudi was.'

Shashi listened carefully. 'I see. I never knew Rudi, m'self. But, when the sale came up, he offered it to me.'

'I wanted it, too,' Shyam looked embarrassed, his eyes wide, direct. 'In fact, I'd like to buy it even now,' he added.

'Now?' asked Shashi. 'What d'you mean?'

'I'd like to make an offer for the ranch, Mr. Gupta,' said Shyam. 'I'd pay you above the market value and then some.'

Aha! Shashi thought. This gets more interesting! Now this man wants to buy it? What was it about the Box-Lightning that he didn't know?

He shook his head, his thoughts concealed behind the bland mask. 'I'm afraid I can't sell it,' he said instead, pleasantly.

'Perhaps you'd take some time to consider it?' Shyam asked. 'I'm in no hurry.'

Shashi looked him in the eye, 'I can't even consider it. The Box-Lightning isn't up for sale, not anymore.'

Shyam narrowed his eyes, puzzled at the firm tone. The offer was good, but Shashi wasn't even going to consider it? What was going on?

'You see,' Shashi elaborated, leaning back, trying to read the poker face in front of him. 'Arnav Raizada is now part-owner of the ranch. So I can't sell without speaking to him first.'

'Arnav Raizada? You mean the Circle-R now owns part of the Box-Lightning?' Shyam managed to keep his voice level as he asked. Thoughts were churning around in his mind. How? How had Arnav Singh Raizada managed to move so fast? And how had he managed to convince Shashi so easily? Part ownership. Just like ASR! He'd not even waited for the Guptas to settle in before striking. Damn him!

Nothing however, showed on his face, as he smiled politely at Shashi who was saying, 'yes. Arnav made a very good offer. I took it.'

'Ah! That's good, I suppose. Not for me, of course,' he laughed apologetically at Shashi. 'I would have liked for you to have taken my offer. But then, ASR can be quite persuasive.' He spread his hands wide, shrugging. 

A few more minutes of pleasantries and Shyam left. Shashi watched him go, frowning in perplexity, thinking. A hand on his shoulder roused him from his thoughts. 

'Garima,' he said, seeing his wife who had a questioning look on her face. 

'What'd he want?' she asked. 

'To buy the ranch,' he replied.

'Again?' she was just as surprised as he was. 'What's with this place? First Arnav and now this man?'

'I'm wondering that too, m'dear. Did we take Arnav's offer in haste?' he wondered aloud. 

Garima thought for a moment. 'No. There's something about him. I think he did want us to stay here. I do wonder why he changed his mind, though and maybe he'll tell us someday. But this man,' she shuddered. 'I don't like him, Shashi.' Her arms slid around him, and he held her close. 

Shashi rested his chin on her head. 'I don't like him either, Garima. Something tells me, this ain't the last we've seen of him.' She nodded, burrowing deeper into his chest. 

A strange fear uncoiled in her chest, sending its cold tentacles out to her limbs. She closed her eyes and prayed. For what, she didn't yet know.

It was an unusual Friday morning at the Circle-R. Arnav had stayed back to have breakfast with Nanny and Anjali. The twins were playing around them, running between their chairs, and taking bites of food from all three. This was a treat for all of them, because usually, he'd leave at the crack of dawn.

'Arnav,' said Nanny, in between wiping Drew's face. 'I'm so glad you stayed home today.'

'Not home, Nanny. I need to go into Yerba. I'll be back in the evening with Akash.' He fed a small piece of apple to Dev. 

'Yerba again, Arnav?' Anjali asked, eyebrows raised. 'You've been gone there a lot lately. Or is it just the Wild Bull? What's going on?' she smiled teasingly. 

'Nothin',' said Arnav laconically. 'It's business, Sis.'

'Really?' she prodded. 'A business named Ela?' 

He looked at his sister, amazed that she was so out of tune with him. When had he ever given her reason to think that he and Ela ...? He shook his head. 'Sis, seriously, you need to find something else to do.' He chewed on a piece of bread. 

'I'm glad Shashi took your offer, Arnav,' Nanny intervened before the siblings could start their squabble.

'So'm I, Nanny,' he said seriously.

'How's the ranch coming along?' she asked. 

'Good. I'll go by next week to check on things. NK has been busy there, too,' Arnav informed her.

'By the way, Anjali,' Nanny looked at her other grand-child. 'Shyam hasn't come over this week. Wonder why?' she smiled at Anjali, who blushed a pretty red. 

'I'll get more coffee,' Anjali said, moving towards the kitchen. 

Arnav looked from one to the other. 'What's going on, Nanny?' he asked. 

'Shyam's been visiting here, quite often. I think he's taken with Anjali,' Nanny said in a satisfied tone. 

'Shyam? The Striking-S?' Arnav asked, surprised at this piece of news. 

Nanny nodded. 'I think Anjali likes him, as well.'

Drew and Dev ran screaming past them, stopping their conversation for a minute. 

'How long?' Arnav grabbed Drew and fed him another piece of apple.

'For the last few weeks.' Nanny frowned. 'He likes the children, too. And they calm down around him,' she added. 

'What about Sis?' Arnav wanted to know. 

'Anjali hasn't said anything, but I think she's ready to move on from Danny, now,' Nanny replied, smiling gently. 'She deserves happiness, and I think Shyam could give her that.'

Arnav looked down at this plate, his appetite gone all of a sudden. 

He didn't particularly care for Shyam Manohar Jha. He'd met him a few times, and charming and polite though he was, something didn't sit right with him. He couldn't put his finger on what it was. The idea of him being interested in Anjali was vaguely troubling to him. 

On the other hand, if Anjali liked him, then he wouldn't stand in her way. She deserved happiness, as Nanny said. God knows she did. The children needed a father, and while he'd been doing his best, he knew it wasn't enough. There's something about having your own father around, and nobody knew that better than him, having missed his own for a greater part of his life.

He hoped for Shyam's own sake, that he wasn't playing at this with Anjali and the kids. Raising her hopes for nothing. Because if he did, then he'd have to face Arnav. His jaws clenched at the thought and he got up abruptly. Nanny looked up in surprise.

'I should be leaving, Nanny,' he explained, just as Anjali came in again.

'Are you leaving, Arnav?' she asked him. He nodded briefly. 'Oh. Are you going by the Box-Lightning as well?'

'No, Sis,' he said patiently. 'I'm going to Yerba. Was there somethin' you needed?'

'I needed to see Payal about a dress,' she explained. 

'I'll let Khushi know,' he muttered. Nanny and Anjali looked at him wide-eyed. 'What?! Khushi works at the Wild Bull. I'll leave a message with her,' he said exasperatedly. They both nodded in unison. 

'Okay,' Anjali said. 'Whatever works for you. Are you coming back with Akash?'

He sighed and nodded, 'Yeah, Sis. I'll be back with Akash in the evening.' He took his leave of them. 

They stared at the door and then turned to each other. 

'Nanny, I'm right, aren't I? Arnav's been making a lot of trips to Yerba lately,' she said. 

'Yes,' said Nanny, her eyes serious. 'I wonder if it's Ela or if there's something more brewing in his head.'

'Like what, Nanny?' Anjali was puzzled. 

'I don't know yet, Anjali, my child. But I intend to find out,' she smiled. 

Payal walked down the main street of Yerba, looking for the store that sold cloth. She was dressed in pale yellow, the sultry brown of her skin showing off the summery color. A hat sat on her head, not a cowboy hat but a straw bonnet, with slim pale yellow ribbons tied under her pointed chin. Little daises framed the crown while a soft lace veil shaded her face from the morning sun. 

The dress was a wide full-skirted one, with a deeper yellow frilled petticoat peeping out from under the hem. The small cap sleeves sat high on her arms, and a bunch of red satin roses splashed color on the small of her back, tied with a slim red ribbon around her slim waist. 

Payal made her own dresses. She loved to create dresses out of different fabrics and wear them too. Unlike Khushi, she'd rarely wore a pair of jeans, it was so unladylike, she thought. 

Ela had seen one of Payal's dresses on Khushi and asked her to make one for her as well. That was the first 'job' she'd ever had. To make a gown for someone. She'd risen to the challenge well. She'd chosen colors that went with the brilliance of Ela's spirit and the dusky tones of her skin and hair. Ela had loved it! 

Then had come another order and another. Word had gotten around. The older Gupta sister could make any woman look beautiful in the gowns she created. Payal had been thrilled at this sudden change in her fortunes. She didn't realize it, but she made the dresses for her customers to suit them, not her. The dress she'd made for Ela was nothing she'd ever wear. It was flamboyant, but it was Ela! It was this quality in her dresses that had more women wanting to wear Payal's dresses. They were ready to pay for it, too. It was little, but it helped Papa. She was glad she was able to do pull her weight with the family now. 

Which is why Payal was in Yerba today, walking down the street, to buy materials for her next orders, when she caught the eye of the good doctor Akash Raizada. 

Akash was on his way to the Wild Bull to meet Arnav. However, the sight of the pretty Miss Payal Gupta was an unexpected and pleasant diversion. 

'Miss Gupta,' he called. She turned around, a pleased smile upon her face, as he walked up to her. He bowed, raising his hat just a little. She nodded back. 

'I didn't expect to see you in town, Miss Payal,' he said softly, turning to walk slowly with her. 

'I came to buy some material for dresses,' she explained cheerfully, suddenly feeling a lot lighter, seeing him there. 

'May I come with you?' he asked. 

She nodded, 'but of course. You'd be bored though. I'll be taking some time.'

'It's okay,' he assured her. 'It's not like I have someplace to go. Besides, there aren't any patients today, either,' he said, completely forgetting about his brother waiting for him at the Wild Bull. 

They walked companionably, slowly, chatting about this and that till they reached the store. Payal took her time choosing the fabric she wanted and paid for it. 

'Can you send them to the Wild Bull?' Akash asked the owner, knowing that she'd kept her horse there that morning, when she'd ridden into town with Khushi. 

Payal looked at him gratefully. 

'Surely, I can do that, Doc,' the owner answered genially. 

Akash held his arm out to Payal, and she slipped her white-gloved hand in it as they both walked over to the Wild Bull. 

Arnav Singh Raizada was frustrated. 

Akash was late. Perhaps he'd been held up by some patients The Wild Bull was emptier at this time of the day, but would fill up later, he knew. Ela was nowhere in sight. 

But the real reason for his frustration was right in front of him in a red dress, laughing as she served drinks to two men, who sat on the other end of the bar. He didn't know that scaring her the other day would come to this. She'd pretended he wasn't there. Then she'd poured her coffee and dumped it in front of him, and walked away. She hadn't said a word to him.  

Okay. So he'd made a mistake by doing what he did. Besides, he was the one with that bruise on his thigh to show for it. Didn't she understand that he'd been trying to show her how dangerous it was for her to work here? That it could be far worse if it had been someone else? It was all for her own good, dammit! He scowled into his coffee, and Khushi turned right then to see that expression on his face.

She marched up to him and said, 'coffee not to your liking, sir?' 

He glowered at her, and she moved back a step, eyes widening at the flaming anger in his eyes. 'Coffee's fine,' he growled. He took a sip and then said, 'where's Ela?'

She'd been moving away when he asked that. He saw her back stiffen and straighten, before she turned around. 'Ela's in her room. She's got other things to do,' she said, jaws clenched.

He opened his mouth to reply, but just then the door opened and two men walked in. One was tall and lanky, the other shorter and bulky. They took off their hats as they entered and walked over to the bar, sitting next to Arnav. 

He looked at them silently, taking in the dusty clothes and the unshaven look. These men had just come off the range. This was the thing about Friday nights. The cowhands were paid then, and they spent most of their savings here, at the bar or some other seedier establishments. This is the crowd that Arnav worried about, and it was just the start. 

More men came in, and Arnav was glad to see his guards taking up their posts in preparation for what usually turned out to be a raucous night. 

The man next to Arnav, the tall, lanky one said, 'Sweetheart, how 'bout a beer here?'

Arnav's jaws clenched hearing him call her that. There was something so wrong with the way he addressed her. From the corner of his eye, he watched her approach the men, with two mugs of beer. She placed it in front of them and wiped her hands on her apron. 

'Thanks, honey,' the man said, leaning forward. She nodded and smiled at him. 'What you doin' later tonight?' He leered and reached out a hand to touch her cheek. Next thing he knew, his hand was slammed flat on the bar, pinned to it by strong fingers. They squeezed his wrist, till he gasped in pain. 

'Don't you ever dare touch her again,' a low voice growled in his ear. 

The man shook his head, trying to clear it of the haze of pain, and then he was let go. He drew in a deep breath, holding on to his hand, before looking into eyes like a frozen desert.

'Just 'cause she works here don't mean you can touch her when you want to,' Arnav's voice was soft. 

The din in the place died down, as all eyes were on the bar. 

'Who the hell d'you think you are?' asked the man loudly, going for his gun, only to find himself staring down the barrel of a Colt that had appeared as if by magic in Arnav's left hand. 

'Trouble, ASR?' a booming voice said next to Arnav, as big Jim strolled up and stood behind him, his massive arms folded across his chest.

'Nothin' I can't handle, Jim,' Arnav's narrowed eyes never wavered from the man in front of him. Jim nodded, but didn't move away. Two more men got up and flanked the two at the bar. The lines were drawn. The guards stood ready at the other end of the room. Arnav's eyes flicked to one. An imperceptible movement of his gun and the two men came forward.

'Let's go,' said one of the guards. The two men slid off their stools and silently followed the guards outside. 'Don' come round here no more,' said one of the guards, as he swung the door closed behind them.

'Who the hell was that?' asked Rocky, the tall, lanky man. 

'ASR,' spat Manny, his companion. 'You had to go and draw against El Puma?' he asked sarcastically.

'F**k!' exclaimed Rocky. 

'And now we can't go back here,' Manny said angrily. 'Thanks to you!'

'F**k it!' said Rocky again. 'Let's go.'

They left. 

Inside, Arnav swiftly twirled the gun and holstered it, before raising his coffee cup at Khushi. She stood frozen by the bar, her face pale, eyes wide and dark.

'Can I get more coffee, Miss Gupta?' he asked silkily. 

Edited by GirlOfFire - 10 years ago
Got an exam in 2 hours so Will come back and comment after 5-6 hours. Watch this space!!!πŸ˜†

And OMGOMG! I'm first baaabyyy!πŸ˜†

*edited*

Sorry sis for being a little late. Just woke up from my after-exam nap,lol.πŸ˜†

Ok firstly I LOVED THE UPDATE!!!πŸ˜ƒ

Enjoyed the short part where Khushi was avoiding him making Arnav not that happy about. But I was like you go girl!πŸ˜†

But when Khushi was getting greased up by this low life I was like

It was like ooo and ahhh. πŸ˜† * for me anyways* First time properly we get to see Arnav's jealousy and also possessiveness towards Khushi. 

I was like HELL YEAH when he slammed that guys hand down. Whoop whoop!

And everyones like shit man you messing with them!?! And he's like *shrugs shoulders * meh. 

The best part was Khushi O_O reaction at the end. Giiirl you know he's hot.πŸ˜†πŸ˜‰

*coughcough* so overall...a good update.πŸ˜‰πŸ˜†

xxx

Edited by -Zara- - 10 years ago
WOW!!!
That was some update. You have captured the heart of the genre.
You deserve a standing ovation
Dt was an amazing update..
Asr is very protective towards kushi...
Almost all had d negative feeling towards shyam...hope nani doesnt fo d mistake of marruing anjali off to shyam bcoz she truly deserves happines and dat too a permanent one...
Also nani should find out arnav having soft corner towards kush...
*jumping up and down in excitement because the end*

I'm sorry. I can't concentrate on Shyam, his potential murders, Anjali's future OR Akashji and Payalji's blooming romance.
NOT WHEN EL PUMA IS IN THE HOUSE.

That was so smooth and awesome, it would have been at home in any western.

Hahahaha! Rocky got burned and Khushi I bet is impressed.
My My Asr marks his territory and with style! Khushi should thank her personal guard for sure !πŸ˜‰

Payal and Akash ... aww they are too good for their own selves !😳

Shyam and Anjali ... i was surprised that Arnav is ok with the alliance if thats what Anjali wanted...which however means he is still not aware of his malicious thoughts... i would love to see his reaction if shashi shares with him about shyam also coming in to offer a price for Box Lightning.