Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

napstermonster thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 7
Posted: 11 years ago

PART 4

Anjali sat back and rubbed her eyes. The hours of research, studying pages of files and pouring over documents and pictures were taking their inevitable toll. Anjali had been at it for weeks, and now she felt almost light-headed, as she felt her energies flagging and sleep taking over her body. Looking over towards Arnav,  as he sat hunched over some papers, Anjali sighed, and tried to think of something, anything, that might get him to stop his obsessive search for this evening, and finally go to bed. The day had been particularly frustrating for Arnav and Anjali knew, none better, that last night had passed for Arnav just like the past few weeks had. Without asking, she knew that he had not slept at all, and had spent the entire night outside, by the pool---lying on the ground and staring up at the stars that he had so carefully avoided looking at for all these years.

But her brother was being driven, not by any normal impetus, but by something from within himself, and he was not going to be reached so easily. His frenzied phone calls, meetings with lawyers, with investigators and with even the police should have left him bone-tired. Instead, each impassive wall, each new bit of data, each proof of the truth, instead of ending his manic search, seemed to be fueling it further.

The questions that had started all this---the physical resemblance, the name, the age of the little girl---all of these had all been answered, patiently, accurately, and with devastating honesty. They had been vetted by Aman and the many men he had been employing for the past few weeks to dig into little Khushi's life. Pictures, personal diaries, certificates and photo albums had been  obtained, through what could only be termed as burglary, as their many investigators swarmed Amrita Singh's house while she was at work.

Money truly could buy anything, Anjali thought, grimly, as she remembered how easy it had been for Aman to bribe the building's superintendent at Amrita Singh's address to get access to her little flat. 

Now, weeks after those leads had been obtained, the final dribbles of information were coming in. Not one fact stood out as suspicious, and even though they all revealed the same story, here Arnav still was--checking, and rechecking each tiny nugget of information. Obsessively pouring over what he was being told, and then ignoring the truth of what everyone was telling him.

He had to know the truth, just like everyone else involved in this mad, obsessive chase knew the truth. But he would not accepot what he knew, It seemed, right now, that Arnav would not, in fact, it seemed like he could not, give up.  Anjali recalled her afternoon conversation with Aman. The man who had served his boss for so many years unfailingly and with complete dedication had been uncharacteristically harsh and rude to her on the phone. He had asked, in fact, he had almost ordered Anjali to speak to Arnav. He had told her to stop her brother, to get him to accept what could not be denied, and to finally let go of the ghosts of the past. That tired and frustrated man had then confirmed the final bit of information that was still left to verify.

Aman had spent all day, and a considerable amount of money, to check through the Singh family's medical records at the Sabharwal Hospital in New Delhi where Amrita and Pradeep had both been admitted. The records detailed the little couple's sad story after the road accident that had taken Pradeep's life, but had spared Amrita and Khushi. Pradeep had died when his car had been rear ended by an out of control van. He had died on the spot, but he had thrown himself across his pregnant wife's body, thus preventing her from suffering any serious injury. His instinctive action had gotten him killed, but he had almost certainly saved an unborn Khushi's own life by sacrificing his own. The medical records confirmed the simple little love story that Amrita and Pradeep shared----the story that Pradeep had finally given his life to protect.

Pictures of the young couple were all over the flat, and copies of these pictures now littered Arnav's study, tangled with papers that confirmed their authentic history and details. Both Amrita and Pradeep were orphans, though there were some distant cousins and uncles and the like littered about in Calcutta and Dehradhun,  respectively. These family members sent and received cards and phone-calls during festivals and special occasions, but they were not very close. The Singhs, to all intents and purposes, were alone.

Having met in a small college in Shimla, the Singhs had gotten married right after graduation, and come to Delhi for work. Amrita, with her degree in fashion design, but without any real contacts or networking skills, had ended up joining AR Boutique. Pradeep, a little more career-savvy, had used his time at their college to get some internships in Delhi. After graduation, Pradeep Singh had obtained a job at an advertising agency which had paid enough for him to buy a small flat, where Amrita and Khushi now lived.

Nothing grand, but certainly enough for the young couple to dream of the next step in their lives.The flat neighbors knew how much these two had longed for a child to complete their little household. They had known the couple for a while, and had told Aman all about their dreams for a child as they set up their little home. Amrita had gotten pregnant with Khushi, a few years into their marriage, but Pradeep Singh had not lived to see his dreams fulfilled. 

In the final pictures that had been taken of Pradeep Singh, his happiness at his impending fatherhood glowed on his face, and even shone through the grainy photos before them. Anjali smiled involuntarily, in spite of the pain that pierced through her as she looked at the picture of the cheerful young ad executive. In the last picture, Pradeep Singh was grinning happily as he monkeyed about for the camera. His face was filled with a mischievous expression that could sometimes be seen in little Khushi's face, but his hands----in this, the final picture taken before his death, Pradeep Singh's hands were protectively placed on his smiling wife's swollen belly, cradling his unborn baby close.

Little Khushi may have lacked a lot of material comforts and a great deal of luxuries that money could have bought for her, but she certainly came from a family that loved, cherished and wanted her. She had never seen her father, but her mother had done her best to prove to her child how much her father had loved her. She had showed Khushi that fact through pictures, mementos, and stories that she told her daughter every night. She made sure her baby girl knew all about the man who had loved Khushi without even seeing her once, and who would always love her from afar.

The name---Khushi----that very name had been chosen by Pradeep some time before he died, because of how happy Pradeep had been at the thought of having a baby girl. This information had been supplied by Amrita's boss at the boutique, who had also told Aman's investigators how difficult things had been for Amrita after Pradeep's death in the automobile crash on the Delhi-Juhu highway some six months into her pregnancy.

There was only one slightly strange anomaly in the simple little story of the brave single mother who struggled after her husband's death to give birth to their first and only child. This was the fact that after Pradeep Singh's accident, the remainder of Amrita's pregnancy and her confinement till Khushi's birth had been under the aegis of  Dr. Ritika Bose, and not her initial, ordinary OB-GYN.  Dr. Bose was so much in demand that it was difficult to get appointments with her, but she had taken Amrita Singh  on as a patient. Dr Bose was a well regarded, discreet obstetrician  known for handling rich private clients and very high profile births. Her services were priced accordingly, and her clinic was top of the line, and specialized in difficult deliveries. And, of course, neither she nor her clinic came cheap. 

Instead of being at the Sabharwal Hospital, which was where Amrita and Pradeep had initially started her pre-natal care,  Khushi had been born at Dr. Bose's own private clinic in upscale Juhu.

But, as Aman had pointed out, this was hardly suspicious, and the luxury stay had probably had been paid for through Pradeep's life insurance policy. The small policy had kicked in during Amrita's pregnancy, and was now almost gone. Amrita, shattered from her loss, had in all probability needed to be under a doctor's constant care, and she had chosen to use her husband's insurance to ensure that their child arrived safely. Even after his death, through his careful planning, it seemed as if Pradeep Singh had left arrangements to take care of his little daughter.

Little Khushi's birth had happened while she was at this private clinic, and it was Pradeep who had been named as Khushi's father throughout Amrita's pregnancy. Aman had tried to contact Dr. Radika Bose just to reconfirm all this, but the doctor had been unavailable for an interview. In any case, he did not think there was anything more to be found from talking to her, since he had already seen Dr Bose's records and case-notes on Amrita Singh and Khushi from her clinic's files.

There could be no question of Amrita  going and stealing an orphaned baby from an Ashram in Shimla, of anything dark and mysterious that might shadow Khushi's birth. After the accident, Amrita Singh had been slightly injured, and her pregnancy had kept her confined to her bed in the Juhu clinic. Records showed that her pregnancy had then proceeded normally until her delivery on August 14,  when Khushi had been born via C-Section about seven years ago.

Since then, mother and baby had stayed at their small flat, gone about their lives, done the daily shopping and cooking and getting ready for school and work and temple. Few friends visited them, their lives had gone on like a million other such lives, until the fateful afternoon when a little girl's innocent laughter had brought Arnav Singh Raizada to his knees.

There was nothing.

Nothing to give Arnav Singh Raizada a hope of salvation, to believe in a re-awakened dream that he could hold close to his battered heart.

Nothing.

But Anjali knew that contrary to all proofs, contrary to all truths,  Arnav did just that. He did believe, he did hope. He was not just hopeful, in fact,  he was positive that somehow he had found the baby, the baby for whom he had mourned for eight years along with his heartbreak, her mother Khushi.  

Arnav did cling to the completely disproved idea that this little girl was his daughter, this was his Khushi's last gift to him.  Arnav Singh Raizada, the man who had used his intellect and his logic to bludgeon his way to the top of Delhi's business and social world, was now operating solely on belief. He was in the grips of some uncontrollable emotion so twisted with grief and loss, it had become unrecognizable as anything normal, anything logical.  He would not accept defeat, and Anjali did not know how to tell him that no one was fighting him, there was no war to win here, no prize to conquer.

But she did know one thing, after all these weeks of investigation, of analysis. She knew that this was not his child. This was not Arnav Singh Raizada's little Khushi. This was Pradeep Singh's little girl.

PART 5 https://www.indiaforums.com/forum/post/67195396Edited by napstermonster - 11 years ago
Nmyra thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 5
First of all --- *looking down at Ridz* ----- *Evil Laugh*

Coming to the story --- My god Napster!! 

I have a feeling that that TINY little inconsistency is going to be everything. It's like in HOUSE -- You come in with a heart condition you live, you come in with a fever - SHITS GOING DOWN!!

I think what I loved the most was that Arnav has finally broke out of his own logical mind-trap, in part because he can't bear the reality it presents. In a way he's a dreamer now. As he never let himself be before. 

Also Aman's anger was a lovely touch, a perfectly poised point to emphasize both loyalty and frustration. Update soon!
Edited by Nmyra - 11 years ago
BlueMystique thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 7
I am so sorry about this RES! Damn it!

I have been a little caught with uni! Promise to catch up soon!
Edited by BlueMystique - 11 years ago
smitzy thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 6
this keeps getting more interesting. I can understand the obsession on Arnav's part. He's clawing at the air in hopes to find something he can hold on to. I liked the clarity about amrita and Pradeep, like always, your attention to detail is mind blowing.

Keep up the good work! Hoping to read your next update real soon!
cheers!

ps- what's happening to "perfection" btw? long time no update? ðŸ˜›
Edited by smitzy - 11 years ago
johnangad thumbnail
oh so not arnav;s khushi again!!!! but u described his obsession so well
CDlove thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 8
wonderful part! loved it!

I kinda feel sorry for Arnav but then again he deserves it.
devsum thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
all your stories hooks me every time, so that i just keep stalking. So why should she go a posh clinic?
neverbefore thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
The one thing I'm really glad about is that he's not gone in there all guns blazing from the start, causing untold strife to Khushi and her Mum. I'm sure it's coming soon though...his denial is scary...as was Aman's attitude...it doesn't bode well! 
thebubblespop12 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
I don't want it to be his daughter. He left them when they needed it and now he's feels 'sorry'.
I know I'm being to hard but I agree with Payal.
ItsPearl thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 5
Beautiful. Poignant. Heart-wrenching. Logical. Illogical. Amazing.

I'll get back to you about this in more detail! Yeah - this is my style of saying 'Res'! ðŸ˜† Probably the 'Unres' will take a couple of says - exams are lurking just round the corner!

But loved loved loved reading it! 
Edited by -.Pearl.- - 11 years ago