Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

farfar319 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Posted: 12 years ago

Originally posted by: Marybarton

Yes, yes women love the bad boys and in the Fan Fics we like imagining Arnav being more rakish (casual encounters, etc) that I frankly think he is portrayed in the show. I have evidence. He says to Di that he has a girlfriend now, so what? It sounds like something new to Di and the family, as if he never had a girlfriend before. La says in her first scene that she met him five months ago, so it is a relatively young relationship too. Both dialogues hint at this being his only attempt at a relationship. Whether he had casual encouters before is a matter of debate. But one thing is sure, it takes a whole lot of effort to make a business successful by the age of 26 and does not leave you a lot of time for relationships.

So I would say Arnav is not as much of a player but we as readers like imagining so. He's just a normal guy more used to getting his way. He indulged in a relationship that he thought he could dominate but soon realized that is not what he wanted as he fell hard for Khushi. This is my interpretation of course. Whether he is a rake or not is not the debate I want to raise here. My question is about reformed rakes as loyal husbands. I have this problem of thinking from too many different angles when wondering about any topic and rakes are top in my mind right now 😆. So...do you think it is possible? Is is a huge trip to win a rake but how about keeping him? Here are some conflicting possibilities I have been thinking about:

1. If said rake had numerous meaningless sexual encounters before, what makes you (generally speaking, the girl he marries) so special that he won't stray? Say he has a few more meaningless encounters after marriage but says he really loves you and with you it is different.

I don't think that having meaningless sexual encounters has anything to do with how faithful a person is. Most people have meaningless sexual encounters because their lack of ability to connect with someone without this act, or they haven't met the right person yet. 

But I also would be wary of cheaters. Especially husbands who cheat on wives. But again, I don't think that is always correlated to if the guy has had multiple relationships or not. 

2. Do people really change? Why would a serial monogam-er suddenly before constant for his wife? Yes, love. But what about all these studs (think famous examples Jude Law, Brad Pitt, non-stars too) who stray after love? Clearly, I am having a hard time balancing out how loyalty would work here because he would have to change his attitude toward relationships for the wife. Say the wife was not a serial monogram-er herself in which case I could see more compatibility and understanding. Say she was Khushi and the rake Arnav.

I think people change in certain circumstances. However, I think people's core personalities rarely ever change unless something drastic has happened in their lives, especially when you're an adult. Again, serial monogam-er doesn't mean the guy was unfaithful to the girl he was with at the time. Many people date frequently - 5 or 6 different dates within a week, but that doesn't mean they'd cheat after they find a steady gf because for a lot of people that's how they figure out who they want. Or, even if he dated girl A for one week then girl B the next week, that has nothing to do with his loyalty or faithfulness.  Those issues would come into play if he's dating them both (more than casually) at the same time.  I don't think loyalty in a relationship has anything to do with having multiple past girlfriends. You can only be loyal to a person while your still in that relationship. If the relationship is broken, then both parties have free reign to move on. 

3. Alternate possibility: Rakes sometimes fall hard in love and do stay dedicated, it is not the bad boy who finally settles who strays, but the nice guy who looks for a new adventure. Same thing can happen with women too, but given that I am straight woman, I am talking about the men. 

The most best of husbands & fathers (speaking from being someone who knows a girl in this situation) can turn out to be cheaters. I think its worse when its the supposed good guy that turns out to be horrible. Same goes for women. It's not about their past or how many girlfriends they've had, etc etc. It's really about their character & values, & how dedicated they are to the relationship.  I for one don't think that having multiple past relationships means that you're flawed in character (as in you're a cheater, you're going to stray, etc) 

Not all bad boys are necessarily bad in relationships too & if they have soo many girlfriends, it just means they're quite talented with the ladies, loll. But I think there's a difference between that and cheaters. 

So at the end of the day. Is it all about putting faith in the other person and putting your trust on the line? A rake/bad boy has a lot of incentives typically being charming or good looking to women, so would you personally settle for one? Can you trust? These are questions I am wondering about now that I am writing about a rake and Anjali (part of my FF Avenging Angel). No one is making judgments, so please just answer from your own point of view without hesitation. If you have personal stories, even better. 😃

I could definitely trust a rake/bad boy, lol, it honestly depends on how he treats me. Just because he's a rake/bad boy doesn't mean he's a liar either. But I agree, it's all about faith, trust, and dedication to your partner. If you have that it doesn't matter if you're guy is a reformed man-s**t, a reformed bad boy or rake or just a good guy. lol.

I hope I was able to get my thoughts out clearly! Congrats on your 2000th post!! =D

2000th post!
Mary.

Edited by farfar319 - 12 years ago
riti4u thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 7
congrats on 2000 post 😊...and to answer your question ..yes arnav is capable of loyality...coz I think he has basic qualities of being responsible..honest and caring...in all his relationship..he has been honest..be it with la too...he never promised to love her...but when he realised he is falling for sumone else...and he wud nt be able to do justice to la's feeling...he faced her wid bitter truth...he was loyal to his feelings there and la's feelings too...Coming to khushi...he could have lied to her ,faked love..but he never pretended to love her...he was honest about his marriage deal with her..she accepted with full knowledge..he just pretends to hate her... I feel being honest and owning up to one's mistakes really matter..that are his nature traits...
Marybarton thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 8

Originally posted by: riti4u

congrats on 2000 post 😊...and to answer your question ..yes arnav is capable of loyality...coz I think he has basic qualities of being responsible..honest and caring...in all his relationship..he has been honest..be it with la too...he never promised to love her...but when he realised he is falling for sumone else...and he wud nt be able to do justice to la's feeling...he faced her wid bitter truth...he was loyal to his feelings there and la's feelings too...Coming to khushi...he could have lied to her ,faked love..but he never pretended to love her...he was honest about his marriage deal with her..she accepted with full knowledge..he just pretends to hate her... I feel being honest and owning up to one's mistakes really matter..that are his nature traits...

I agree, that is what makes Arnav likable to me. Whatever he is, he is honest about it. I can trust a man like that.
MrDarcyfan thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 6
Hey Mary! Congrats on your 2000th post!

As for Rake's well... I think that ALL M & B and Harlequin novels will have you think that "Reformed rakes" make the best husbands! I do not doubt that MOST men who fall sincerly in love will stay loyal! Be it a rake or otherwise!

I think men are genetically more prone to promiscuity coz they are trained to sow their "Seed"! Therefore I think most men have a more casual approach to relationships and physical relations than GENERALLY women would! BUT there have been cases where I have seen the opposite!

I do NOT suggest that all men take physical intimacey lightly or that they take relationships lightly! I am saying generally men tend not to romatisize sex the way that women do! M & B THRIVE coz millions of highly educated females around the world romantisize sex!

My POV of Arnav is that he is NOT a player! We have all estbalished beyond a doubt that he has NEVER been in love! He may have had a fling or two in the past, and maybe those cant be equated as "Relationships"! He is a good looking man, rich and successful! He works in the fashion industry! Therefore it is highly plausible that he has met women who had no qualms about throwing themselves at him! He may have taken advantage of these opportunities once in awhile!

I doubt that he spends time "Skirt chasing" as he seems to be someone who is a Workaholic, so I doubt he has a lot of time to spend "Wooing" women into bed! He was with Lavanya, and I think it was more a relationship of conveniance as she worked for him and he didnt have to make a lot of extra effort to go out to meet her etc..His emmotions, NOR his senses appeared to be "Highly engaged" in that relationship!

I think Khushi is his first real "Sensual" experiance, where he is drawn to someone to the extent that he cannot stop himself from trying to get close to her! At Diwali, we saw how shocked he was with his lack of control, and it was clear he was NOT used to acting this way usually! He seemed so dissapointed in himself! I think for Arnav "Control" is his mantra! His safe place! He dosent like anything or anyone that makes him loose control! Khushi does this, and that is why he had so much angst against her from the start!

Going back to "Rakes",... and in this case, your "Imad" I think YES they can change! IF a women engages a man's emmotions as much as his senses, then YES he can stay loyal to that women!

Most men are fools in love! Even more than women are! They are also VERY vulnerable.. as the women they love can sometimes really make or break them!

A man in love is a sight to behold!

Edited by MrDarcyfan - 12 years ago
Marybarton thumbnail

Originally posted by: MrDarcyfan

Hey Mary! Congrats on your 2000th post!

As for Rake's well... I think that ALL M & B and Harlequin novels will have you think that "Reformed rakes" make the best husbands! I do not doubt that MOST men who fall sincerly in love will stay loyal! Be it a rake or otherwise!

I think men are genetically more prone to promiscuity coz they are trained to sow their "Seed"! Therefore I think most men have a more casual approach to relationships and physical relations than GENERALLY women would! BUT there have been cases where I have seen the opposite!

I do NOT suggest that all men take physical intimacey lightly or that they take relationships lightly! I am saying generally men tend not romatisize sex the way that women do! M & B THRIVE coz millions of highly educated females around the world romantisize sex!

My POV of Arnav is that he is NOT a player! We have all estbalished beyond a doub that he has NEVER been in love! He may have had a fling or two in the past, and maybe those cant be equated as "Relationships"! He is a good looking man, rich and successful! He works in the fashion industry! Therefore it is highly plausible that he has met women who had no qualms about throwing themselves at him! He may have taken advantage of these opportunities once in awhile!

I dount that he spends time "Skirt chasing" as he seems to be someone who is a Workaholic, so I doubt he has a lot of time to spend "Wooing" women into bed! He was with Lavanya, and I think it was more a relationship of conveniance as she worked for him and he didnt have to make a lot of extra effort to go out to meet her etc..His emmotions, NOR his senses appeared to be "Highly engaged" in that relationship!

I think Khushi is his first real "Sensual" experiance, where he is drawn to someone to the extent that he cannot stop himself from trying to get close to her! At Diwali, we saw how shocked he was with his lack of control, and it was clear he was NOT used to acting this way usually! He seemed so dissapointed in himself! I think for Arnav "Control" is his mantra! His safe place! He dosent like anything or anyone that makes him loose control! Khushi does this, and that is why he had so much angst against her from the start!

Going back to "Rakes",... and in this case, your "Imad" I think YES they can change! IF a women engages a man's emmotions as much as his senses, then YES he can stay loyal to that women!

Most men are fools in love! Even more than women are! They are also VERY vulnerable.. as the women they love can sometimes really make or break them!

A man in love is a sight to behold!

Loved you whole post but what you said in bold really touched me. Loved it. I agree, Khushi not only has the making and breaking power but yes, also the power to make him lose control.

Now Imad on the other hand. In real life I would give someone like him a very hard time if he suddenly fell in love with me. He's passionate, so I can see how it might happen for him though. I am still trying to balance out and understand him.

MrDarcyfan thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 6

Loved you whole post but what you said in bold really touched me. Loved it. I agree, Khushi not only has the making and breaking power but yes, also the power to make him lose control.

Now Imad on the other hand. In real life I would give someone like him a very hard time if he suddenly fell in love with me. He's passionate, so I can see how it might happen for him though. I am still trying to balance out and understand him.

Hey Mary! Thanks for liking my comment! AS for Imad... YES in Anjali's shoes I would give him HELL too! I would not beleive that a guy like him just "fell" for me! SO I will be sceptical and I will give him a hard time!

Guys like him are usually cynical about emmotions! BUT when they fall in love they are anything but! However I will be the cynic in this situation and aks Imad "What is it about ME you love"??? Anjali being someone with a disability and a single mother to boot, would be VERY wary of any sign of someone possibly "Pitying" her! I totally get that!

Therefore I think this Anjali-Imad. angle would be SO good! I hope on the show they bring a similar sort of guy or someone equal to the Raizada's in status to woo Anjali!  That will be VERY interesting to watch how Anjali learns to trust again!
Edited by MrDarcyfan - 12 years ago
Marybarton thumbnail

[/QUOTE]

Hey Mary! Thanks for liking my comment! AS for Imad... YES in Anjali's shoes I would give him HELL too! I would not beleive that a guy like him just "fell" for me! SO I will be sceptical and I will give him a hard time!

Guys like him are usually cynical about emmotions! BUT when they fall in love they are anything but! However I will be the cynic in this situation and aks Imad "What is it about ME you love"??? Anjali being someone with a disability and a single mother to boot, would be VERY wary of any sign of someone possibly "Pitying" her! I totally get that!

Therefore I think this Anjali-Imad. angle would be SO good! I hope on the show they bring a similar sort of guy or someone equal to the Raizada's in status to woo Anjali!  That will be VERY interesting to watch how Anjali learns to trust again!
[/QUOTE]

I absolutely agree. That is what makes Imad and Anjali so exciting to me. Someone like Imad looses all his previous cynicism why love hits him in the face. But he forgets how he is received is still constant. So it comes as a shock. Hint hint.
-cherryblossom- thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
congrads on ur 200th post...

answer to ur question... i feel he will be loyal to the core whn it comes to khushi...my thoughts below...

people tent to evolve cos they have various experience in life.. some light.. some very hard... arnav went through a hard one... loosing parents, losing their home, betrayal from family... but one thing he he never went thru is broken heart cos of love... the main reason he never had time for love... once he reached his goal.. he bought lav.. for name sake..well he is a successful, handsome young man... anyone can think some thing is wrong if he does not have a atleast a GF( cos he not shown as a playboy)...but only diff lav never stirred any feelings in him... not even whn she hugged him...bt khushi awoke feeling in him... feelings a hot blooded man will feel for a women... he feel her touch after she is gone.. he remembers the feel of her against him..(.im not saying he is lusting only for her  body)... its khushi as a person... 

for a person like arnav who is extreme in all the things he does... i feel he be will a extreme in loyalty too... ..

this is my take... 😊
Edited by priyaaac - 12 years ago
shwetachauhan thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 3
Hey Mary..! Congratulations for the 2000th post! Keep them coming..! 👍🏼
Very interesting discussion this is!! And oh! I love to go on and on about such issues!! So do bear with the length.. Now, I am not talking about Arnav here.. just guys in general..!

Once a rake always a rake..! Thats my personal belief..! The problem with these guys is their attention span!! So a good guy is always more trustworthy.. And Smriti has given some sound advice here.. albeit her mother's! It basically means always let the guy know that you are better.. keep reminding him, not by telling it to his face obviously, but in different ways..! And yes.. show him your love and care at the same time..!

Having said that.. I have seen a couple of rakes reformed.. coz when these guys fall for someone, like really fall for someone, they fall hard!! But.. all of us havnt lived our lives through.. I have yet to see if they are transformed for life or not!
A particular thing that I have noticed in some of these rakes is that this behavior springs up in them only after a heart break! You know.. unrequited or betrayed in love kind of thing! Now I have no worldly knowledge on this, so I cant generalize it.. but I can elaborate much, coz I am speaking from what I have chanced upon in life happening around me! Some hurt at some point of time is what ignites such restlessness in other relationships..! There are rakes like that.. While the others are plain scoundrels!! 😆

So.. when these guys find a girl who makes them forget the past hurt, not often upon deliberation, then they kind of respect it and stick to it..! Again.. it depends much on the girl..!
But the problem is, if the girl knows about it.. about the guy being a rake, then trust will always be questionable in such a relationship!! I have seen that too..!! I have not seen the girl as secure in the relationship as the reformed rake is!!