Users

Frequent Posters

jazzerette thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 12 years ago

Originally posted by: zaara2212

lovely ff 😊

pls add me in your om list 😊
I can understand the plight of mohinderji, since we were 2 daughters in our family and i was the darker one, but i was lucky, that i got a rajkumar, 😛 even though initial days were too much trouble, bcoz who ever came to see me used to like my sis since she was fairer, any way, we both are married and well settled now, especially me 😊 have a wonderful husband...

but this story touched my heart 😊

this part is well written and i always consider father daughter relationship special, like i shared a special bond with my father...wonderfully written dear

Thank you...glad you liked it. And I must tell you...your story is very close to Sameera's too...even she did get her rajkumar. If God puts you through trying times...He give you many times back too.
jazzerette thumbnail

Originally posted by: Jimzi2716

Do u call it crap??😲😲This is one of the best part u've written so far..perfectly described father's emotions..Its very easy to say something but hard to follow in reality...

This is one of the reason I didn't call Savitri as negative char...all she did was she fell in love with Geet at first sight...😳Whats wrong if she feels only Geet can fit into category of her DIL😛unlike others who've worst thoughts ever as u mentioned🤢

I've some ques too...will PM u later😳

I have seriously no clue how come you guys have liked it so much. Maine toh doosri nazar ghuma ke bhi nahi dekha isse😆

Will wait for your questions :)

Thanks a lot Chinki🤗...for not calling Savitri as negative😆...aakhir hain toh...😉
jazzerette thumbnail
Chapter 9
Adamant Him

(September 21, 1980...)
(Early morning, Khurana Kothi...)

"I will not wear this shirt," Maan threw the new shirt down, "if they want to approve of me then they would approve me the way I am. They should value me, not my clothes." Maan took his old shirt back and started buttoning it on stating his stand with a tone that brooked no arguments.

Savitri sat on the bed massaging her temples as Maan's temper grew by the minute. He was being stubborn about everything.

First, it was about the date of this meeting. As soon as Savitri came back from Amritsar that day, she had telephoned Maan to apply for leave which he tried to dodge insisting he couldn't possibly come home this soon. Had it not been for his father, this delay of four weeks would have turned into forty.

Savitri was surprised by her husband's reaction to her proposal for Geet. She had expected a full-fledged lecture from him. But he simply gave her a dissappointing look. His happiness to have Mohinder Lal Handa as his samdhi was far greater than his anger at her.

Next Maan became adamant about not having the dekha-dekhi today. Since, he had just come last night he wanted a day or so to rest. But Savitri knew he just wanted to delay this as much as possible. 24th onwards Shraadhs would start and it is inauspicious to do any ceremony in those days. And by the time they get over, Maan would be on his way back to Roorkee. Today was a Sunday, an ideal day for this meeting. And if things go well, then Savitri intended to have the thakka* today itself.

But at the rate Maan was getting ready to leave, she had her doubts.

Uff yeh munda. What is wrong with wearing nice clothes. The Handas should also know the status of their future son-in-law. But no! He and his ideals. Clothes do not maketh a man, he had told her. Humph! How about 'first impression is the last impression'. Mainu taan ae baap-bete kuchh samajhde hi nahi. I should have called him directly for the marriage only. God knows what will he do over there. I hope he does not pull a stunt that embrasses both the families.

"Maan, please don't be difficult," Savitri tried to reason as he refused Nayantara's offer to comb his recently grown back hair to make them appear more voluminous, inisting he was proud of the cropped Army-cut look of his head.

"You reject two elder sisters in favor of the youngest, and you call me difficult?" pat came his reply without missing a beat.

He turned around to look his mother in the eye as she gave him an icy glare.

Everything I do is a mistake; everything I say is a mistake. Both father and son just love to find faults with me. So what if I chose Geet over Meera and Sameera? It wasn't intentional. It was a matter of heart.

For the first time in my life my son, my Maan actually gave in to my wishes completely. Without any fight, without any argument. True I used the father-son bond to my advantage, knowing Maan would never refuse his father anything. But what else was I to do? As if he would have ever listened to me. All this talk about Army, serving the country is fine but no one can live their life alone. Everyone needs a life partner.

And I needed to show him that I could take good decisions for him. Decisions he would appreciate. For that if I have to be finicky and act pricey I would. But I had to make sure that tomorrow Maan would not stand and say "Look Chaiyyiji, I married the girl of your wishes and today I am leading an unhappy life."

I had to make sure I chose the perfect girl for my perfectionist son.

"Di, I am not wearing the tie," Maan gently but resolutely removed Nayantara's hands from his collar, "And I am certainly not wearing a suit," he gave a pointed look to his mother.

Savitri whacked her head and left his room to get some fresh air. If Maan keeps up with these tantarums I would soon need more than fresh air. I better keep my blood-pressure pills near, she went off grumbling.

"Chaiyyiji," Dev's voice caught her attention, "chalna nahi? We are getting late."

"Thank goodness you are here," Savitri let out a breath of relief as she saw him. Maybe he could help. "Ask your saale-sahab about it. Otherwise he keeps boasting about Army and its punctuality and when the occasion calls for setting an example he is not living upto it."

"That's just not like Maan. Kee hoyya?"

"Bas aevin," Savitri rolled her eyes, "nakhre. Aa nahi paunga, ohh nahi paunga. If not like a Khurana then atleast dress like the so-called esteemed Army officer that he is."

Saying so, she went off to speak to her husband.

(Handa Haveli...)

For one whole month Mohinder lived in shadows of guilt. He had always claimed to have treated his daughters as sons and yet for the past one month he had let his Kakku lead a life of illusion.

Geet did not know about Savitri ji's change of heart. She merely assumed that the matter had died a natural death due to indecisiveness of both the families. He wanted Geet to know the truth but Rano, Daman and Sameera were of the opinion that it would be best if she is not told anything yet.

"Papaji," Sameera had reasoned, "the reason you are so keen on this match because Maan Singh Khurana is an Army officer, right? You really wish to see him as you sn-in-law, right?"

Mohinder nodded in affirmation.

"Then it's best that you don't tell Geet about it. Yet. How will she be able to come to terms with the fact that she was chosen over her two elder sisters? The more she will dwell on it, the more she will dislike it. You know how she is. And since they are yet to come and have a formal meeting regarding Maan and Geet's match, this matter is still dicey to discuss. With Savitri ji's track record of changing preferences as quick as rising sun and setting of sun, we can never be sure about this alliance till the formal meeting is done."

So Geet was not told.

They waited for Maan to come on leave and as soon as he did, the very night the Handas were informed that the next day they would come with a formal proposal for Geet. Infact, Savitri ji hinted that as long as Maan did not cause any disruption, they would have the thakka ceremony there and then.

"Babaji, aj meri laaj rakhna. Let my lie bears fruits that brings happiness in my Kakku's life."

(Khurana Kothi...)

"Saale-saab," Dev entered Maan's room taking in the scene where Maan was still fussing about wearing a suit with Nayantara, "why are you harrassing my wife. Mind it, I will make you pay for every worry line you cause on her pretty face." He delivered the threat with a teasing smile.

"Jijaji," Maan rolled his eyes, "if you are so worried then why don't tell Di to drop the argument."

"Hmm, just because you don't wish to get married that doesn't mean I am not inclined to keep mine intact. Telling your wife to drop an argument is not conducive to a happy marriage. You can note this down as Happy Marriage Tip No. 1 from your dearest jijaji," Dev grinned at Maan and winked at his wife.

"Lo, shuru ho gaye."

"Oye," Nayantara softly spoke giving a playful whack to Maan.

Maan smiled at his sister's love for her husband.

"Hayye, kinna sohna lagda hai mera veer hasde hoye. [My brother looks so handsome while smiling.] Geet will be floored in one look."

Immediately, Maan's smiled turned into a scowl remembering where he was and the reason his Didi and Jijaji were here.

"I am not wearing a suit. Bas!!"

"Why?" Dev calmly countered.

"I will not give in to such shallow things. I will simply go as me."

"Maan, what was that motto you once told me? That guiding principle of training during your time in IMA*?"

"Right time, right place, right..."

"...rigs. Think of it as that. Wearing right rigs for an occasion like this."

"I agree with your logic Jijaji," Maan countered, "but I refuse to give in to Chaiyyiji's idea of going there as a rich-landlord-out-to-assert-his-status."

"Good. Then lets strike a compromise. Wear the new shirt Nandini had brought. Think of it as a gift from me. I will not ask you more."

Maan gave a resigned sigh eyeing the shirt with disdain. Who dresses up nice for his own doom? Maan had heard all about how this alliance had come to be. Iqbal had filled him up on all the details. The visit of the Handas here, going to Amritsar, choosing this girl named Geet, who by the way was the youngest sister and not the sister whose proposal had originally come. Only the likes of his mother was capable of doing this. He did not know any other details like her age, education, etc, since Iqbal was clueless about the same. And was definitely not going to ask the elders about it. They would only gloat deeming it to be his interest in the girl. Who apparently was some beauty, he shook his head. For the same reason he had even refrained from seeing her picture which his mother had gleefully proclaimed to possess. He shuddered to think what kind of girl she would be. After all, it was his mother's choice.

He looked at the controversial shirt again. Chal Maan puttar, you are a commando! A Ghatak. You can do this.

"Fine I will wear the new shirt," he spoke finally causing his sister to give him a adoring smile. Well atleast some good this shirt would do, if it makes his Di happy. "But I am not wearing the tie. Bas!!"

*Thakka - is an informal ceremony to declare boy and girl affianced to each other. What we call rokka in Hindi. 
*IMA - Indian Military Academy

Chapter 10 - Page 99

Reluctant Her

Edited by jazzerette - 12 years ago
The update was awesome! You never fail to surprise me. I mean i knew Maan wouldn't give in so easily but sulking like a kid😆... this was least expected. Oye hoye Capt. Maan ji kaise Din aa gayye!😆
You know i was grinning through out.
Mein woh nahi pehnunga..mein yeh nahi pehnunga..mujhe tie ahi chahiye.. haha that was so adorable.
And I agree with Reva's fancy dress wala comment 😆 suits the situation.

Hmm, just because you don't wish to get married that doesn't mean I am not inclined to keep mine intact. Telling your wife to drop an argument is not conducive to a happy marriage. You can note this down as Happy Marriage Tip No. 1 from your dearest jijaji,"
I'm gonna collect these tips tum dekhlena. Before you get into your teasing mode, let me tell you the reason.. reason being I like Dev ji here. Haha😆

Dulhe ka nakhre dekh liye ab dulhan ka reactions dekhni hain😆
Edited by --Shika-- - 12 years ago
abinash079 thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 5
awesome update loved it
Downhill thumbnail
rubbing my palms in glee...i am curious to see what is going to be their first meeting like..
well i must say maan is a complete opposite to his mom...
and hope he doesnt make any preconceived notions about geet, just bcoz she happened to be his mom's choice...
but the the title of ur ff suggests that its geet who is going to have some preconceived notions...
i am again thoroughly conphused...
but waiting for the next update
loved the way his family members wer fussing over him, as if they dressing up a three yr old for fancy dress competition😆

reva
jazzerette thumbnail

Originally posted by: Dreamy_Mystique

rubbing my palms in glee...i am curious to see what is going to be their first meeting like..
well i must say maan is a complete opposite to his mom...
and hope he doesnt make any preconceived notions about geet, just bcoz she happened to be his mom's choice...
but the the title of ur ff suggests that its geet who is going to have some preconceived notions...
i am again thoroughly conphused...
but waiting for the next update
loved the way his family members wer fussing over him, as if they dressing up a three yr old for fancy dress competition😆

reva

Fancy dress competition!! Lolz Reva...that was exactly how Maan felt!!!🤣

The title of the FF will come into play much later...atleast I hope it will😆
harshithaaaaaaa thumbnail
nice part :)
geet has no idea about proposal
how will she react
sameera's  view is correct 
Audiwalia thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Networker 3 Thumbnail