Originally posted by mandymore

Beautiful prt,u hav amazingly described heart of a father
arjun is so proud of himself,luvd it

Awsome prt,finally munda is bak waitng 4 them to meet
geet dont knw anythng abt it soits gonna b more fun

Superb prt, waitng 4 maaneet to meet

Thanks a lot...glad you have enjoyed reading it :)
Posted: 12 years ago
Originally posted by khwaishfan

Hi there...thanks 4 d apm n double updates! So she chosses Geet n Mohinderlal is happy! Only Geet does nt know! Maan knows n does nt understand! Poor Geet! Update soon! Waiting 4 Maaneet to meet !

Mohinderlal is not exactly happy...but he also wants this rishta to happen. It means a lot to him have a son-in-law from Army. 
Originally posted by sasik

interesting part.

Originally posted by HayaShazal

loved it superb part👏

Originally posted by -memorable-

loved it

Thank you :)

Chapter 10
Reluctant Her

(September 21, 1980...)
(Handa Haveli...)

The constant tapping was doing nothing good for her nerves. But sitting still during anxiety was also not possible for her. It was such a paradox. She was just so nervous. Well she is always nervous in matters such as these, but this time it was about the finals.

Final exams of the first semester of B.A. 2nd year, and Geet was on the edge.
Geography was always her favorite subject. But how was she to know that opting for a Honors course in the same subject will turn out to be so tough. And none of her elder sisters had taken Geography in the graduation years, so no help there. It all came down to her own efforts and tackling the exams suddenly seemed like fighting a dragon.

With such thoughts and worries in her head and teeth busy in chewing off the ribbon that held her hair together, Geet was immersed in her studies thoroughly. She vaguely registered the hustle-bustle around. She was not usually like this. She hardly worried or fretted over anything unless it was right in front of her eyes. Like the whole Khurana fiasco that happened a month back. She did not know what the outcome of their visit was. No one spoke about it and that left her to assume that nothing significant came out of it. Days passed and she found many other diverting things to pay attention to. Why to worry about it all? And she has her father to handle such things anyways. Her job was only to be a good daughter, be his support in whatever decision he took and make sure she always kept his head high.

And that meant doing well in her exams. Even if it meant chewing a hole in her ribbon.

(Khurana Kothi...)

"Veer..."

Maan looked back to see his youngest sister, his darling Iqbal peeking from behind the pillar of their porch and signaling him to come close. Seeing others heading towards the car, he came upto her and raised a questioning eyebrow.

She gestured him to bring his ear close.

"Best of luck Veer," she giggled wishing him.

"Why are you wishing me? It's not as if I wished this to happen," Maan rolled his eyes at her innocent enthusiasm.

"You don't?" she frowned.

He shook his head for a No.

She gave him a wide smile, "Pher taan changa hai na?" [Then its good, right?]

"How?"

"Arre, how can you forget? You only taught me that Darjee says that if what we wish comes true, then it's good. But if what we wish does not come true then it's even better. Because then it means that Babaji has decided that for us."

"So you think this is good because God wants to see me married?"

"Bilkul."

"I wish Babaji had stuck to my original plan instead."

Iqbal giggled at her brother's plight, "Veerji, Man proposes but God disposes."

(Handa Haveli...)

She may confuse you as to what her true character is, but one thing could be said about Savitri Swaroop Khurana with full conviction. She would never give someone a chance to outsmart her more than once.

And she needed to teach Sashi a lesson.

If you want Tisha to not do one thing, distract her with another. The moment the meeting was finalized, the first thing she did was take Tisha into her confidence and promised her to take her along to Amritsar. The excitement to see their futrure bhabhi and that too before Sashi, was enough to keep her mouth shut. And keep Sashi away.

So here they were, six of them sitting in the drawing room of the Handas. Herself, Sardar ji, Dev ji, Nayantara, Tisha and ofcourse Maan.

And now she was eagerly waiting for her bahu to come. So that she can make it official and call her badi bahu openly with complete right as the proud mother-in-law she was sure she would be.

"Kakku..."

Geet saw Sameera rushing in their room, "Jee Di?"

"Chal jaldi tayyar ho, tainu dekhan aaye ne." [Go get ready fast, they have come to see you.]

Still chewing on her ribbon, she paid only the slightest attention to her sister, "Me? Who has come?"

"Khuranas."

"Khuranas?"

"Haan, woh Chandigarh wale. Chaudhary Ajaipal Singh Khurana and his family."

Geet sat stumped. The ribbon finally fell off her mouth. She shook her head from side to side. Maybe she has heard it wrong. She needs to clean her ears properly after bathing. Or maybe go see a doctor and get the ear-wax out. Bad hygiene leads to so much confusion.

"Di, shouldn't you go to Meera Di and ask her to get ready?"

"Nahi Kakku, I know whom I have to go to. And it's you!!"

"NO!"

"Yes! Savitri ji had chosen you as her bahu and Papaji accepted her proposal. Today they have come, formally and with full preparation, with Maan Singh Khurana in tow. And you have to get ready and come down within next five minutes."

And that did it.

She wailed!! She cried like never before. Nose red like a tomato. Tears streamed down her face like taps let loose.

"Chup!!" Sameera lost her patience. The guests were sitting waiting for her and here the girl on a full-mode panic attack.

"Changeyy rishte roz-roz nahi aande."

Sobs soon gave to hiccups and seeing her sister angry at her.

"I want you ready and down in five minutes."

Geet hung her neck. Lips pursed and pouted, she let out a quiet Jee.

Sameera regretted losing her temper at Geet. It wasn't her fault. She was already tensed about her finals and suddenly the arrival of a family who wants to propose an alliance for her must have shook her. Especially the family which she knew had rejected her Sameera Di. And suddenly now it must have dawned on her that they have sidelined Meera too, in favor of her.

She cupped Geet's face and wiped her tears. "Go wash your face, wear your new suit and come down. Smile and trust us. This means a lot for Papaji. Will you do that for him?"

"Haanji."

Maan wasn't one to give into romantic notions. He had no aspirations of love. Such things did not occur in their society. And he had absolutely no inclination to marry. Now that he had given in and decided to get married, the least he wished for was a girl of nice family, decently educated and not someone who would impose on his mental status quo.

"Kakke..."

He cringed at his given pet name as his mother leaned down to whisper in his ear.
"Chaiyyiji, don't call me that. Atleast not here!"

"Oho! Don't get so worked up. I just wanted to say that I know this is difficult for you. I mean I know you don't take me for a very attentive mother but I do know my children. This is something you were not prepared for and it makes you uncomfortable. I am proud of you for being a good son and fulfilling my wishes. But," she took a pause and again leaned back towards him, "if you feel that you won't be able to go through this you can always say no'"

Maan felt a vein twitch near his temple. His mother was just impossible.

"Chaiyyiji, I do not say you are an inattentive mother. You are an inattentive and insensitive person on a whole..."

"Kakke!"

"If you were so concerned about my comfort, you should have given me this option before you set this get-together up. Now that I am here, I am not going back out of the commitment my parents have implied. Whoever she is, she is the one I will marry. I refuse to be the reason that causes Handas anymore grief than they have already gone through due to your choices. That is not the person I wish to be."

"Sarru Singh Khurana!! What has happened to my Papaji's choices? But this not the time to think about it. I will have to have a word with him later. But I will not wear my new suit at all. Why should I waste it on him? He couldn't appreciate my lovely sisters, how will he appreciate a nice suit?"

She marched towards her cupboard and rummaged through her clothing. I wish I could wear any of these old ones. But then they wil say Mohinder Lal can't even buy his girls good dresses. Nahi, main papaji nu sharminda nahi karungi.

She looked around more for something suitable but not her best. Her reluctant mind was not willing to give in.

She found a olive green suit that was still pretty with all the cream flowers embroidered on it but atleast a year old. Her heart did a victory dance at the small win she accomplished, keeping her father's pride intact and yet not indulging the fancies of her future-in-laws.

In-laws? Saying the word suddenly brought down the weight of the situation on her. She was to get married. Married! So soon? What about my studies? No more college for me? Nahi Geet, this can't happen. It's our Papaji's dream. He won't let it fade away this easy. He must have thought about it. He must have a solution for it. I am sure! I am very very sure!

Maan took in his surroundings. The residence was named as Haveli but was modern in its architecture. It was huge, spacious but at the same time very homely. It did not have rich decorations. But the home boasted of a rich environment in way that would endear it to anyone who steps inside. Every thing had a personal touch. The furnituture, he was informed was made by Mohinder ji himself. The walls were adorned by paintings made by their daughter called Sameera. The carpet was made by Rano ji, with help from her second daughter named Anwesha. It was so unlike his home which reeked of expensive things. Cold. This was what a home should be. Warm.

He saw how his father was being so comfortable with Mohinder ji. He had rarely seen his reserved by nature father like this. This was enough for Maan to believe that the man his father was conversing so openly with must be a man worth respecting and admiring.

And within a few moments he drew the same conclusion on independent evidence. Never had he seen a man so humble, so kind, genuienly content from life and happy in his own space. The ex-Army man exhibited the principles that Maan recognized and looked upto. Rano ji was everything that his mother ought to have been. Maan could not help but feel a little lucky if this was the kind of a family he would become a son-in-law to. And the kind of people the Handas seemed at first sight, they would probably welcome him as a son than a son-in-law. Maybe marrying their daughter would not be such a bad thing if by Providence she takes everything good that her parents are.

A sudden disruption was caused in the conversations across the room and he understood that the girl whom he was here to meet is about to enter. He saw a girl entering the drawing room with her one arm held behind. She was okay he supposed. Sharp eyes set in a face with dusky complexion and way too short than him. But Maan was at odds to believe that his mother went ga-ga over her. True, the girl exuded an inner strength of character, but it was higly unlikely for his mother to recognize and appreciate beauty in such form. Her choice would a typical gorri-chitti kudi, someone like...

...like the girl who emerged from behind. Only discrepancy being that she was in no way a typical pretty young thing. She was much more and beyond. Dressed in a olive green suit, she gingerly stepped forward and came to stand beside Mohinder ji. And Maan for the first time understood the word attraction.

Nazaare ne bhi kaam kiya waan naqaab ka
Masti se har nigaah tere rukh par bikhar gayi (Ghalib)
[See what the sight of your unveiling has done
Every intoxicated glance came to rest on your face and withered away] (Ghalib)

Chapter 11 - Page 114

Together Them

Edited by jazzerette - 12 years ago
shit!😭
res
Lag gaya na keesh ki buri nazar😡
Edit
 WHAT WAS THAT!!
I mean how ...why... what ...just happened?
To say that am surprised will be an understatement. I got so many surprises cum shocks in this update.
Firstly loved Geet. I told you a zillion times but i won't mind repeating this for a million times. She's extremely adorable.
The opening para.. I was wondering if she was tensed about the dekha-dikhayi thing but there comes the first surprise. She was worrying for her exams. 😆
Chewing her ribbon. Aww That was adorable.
And then comes Iqbal-Maan's scene.
I guess this is the first scene where Iqbal is speaking right? I liked her. But again one sentence gave me goosebumps.
"Veerji, Man proposes but God disposes."
And then comes Savitri Ji's plan. She is real smart for playing the exact cards and keeping tisha's mouth shut.
And then comes sach ka saamna. Of all the things the one thing i least expected was Geet bursting into tears. And i was baffled..confused.. If possible i would've wiped her tears but considering this happened in 80's and considering that i haven't made an entrance until after 11 years i couldn't😆
Maan's feelings were nicely shown. He's a perfect gentleman. That.. i can't disagree. He agreed to the alliance for the sake of his parent's to be precise his dad's wish and came here all along only for the sake of it even though he was neither comfortable nor interested in it. Shows what he is. But my respect for him increased tenfold by this statement.
"If you were so concerned about my comfort, you should have given me this option before you set this get-together up. Now that I am here, I am not going back out of the commitment my parents have implied. Whoever she is, she is the one I will marry. I refuse to be the reason that causes Handas anymore grief than they have already gone through due to your choices. That is not the person I wish to be."

The underlined lines took my breath away.
And next comes the plan of our chulbuli Geet. Did i tell you I love her?
Oh Man I love her!
Seriously she is .. she is something. First she doesn't want to wear a new suit for him but she doesn't want to disgrace her papaji. And her choice oye hoye i was grinning.
Then comes Maan's part.. firstly
I like him more 'cause he didn't jump into conclusions about the family.. considering how much he disliked getting married and top of it his mother's choices, he still didn't jump to conclusions instead tried to study them and then he started liking Handas. Okay who won't? Haha I'm in team Handas you know that! Then comes the most awesome and breathtaking part which made my eyes pop out
Nazzaara ne bhi kaam kiya waan naqaab ka
Masti se har nigaah tere rukh par bikhar gayi
I never ever ever expected this, This is a pleasant surprise of course. And i am grinning right now 'cause Maan was attracted to Geet. Oye hoye! Me in dream land😍
Next burning question:
When is the next update?
I'm quite shameless. Bilkul apne REVA DIDI pe gayi hun😆

Edited by --Shika-- - 12 years ago
Loved it Jaz!

Ohhh...The cap is already attracted to our Geet (no surprises there😉)
But he'll need to impress her!
hai

that was awesome
update soon
awesome update loved it maan is already attracted towards geet
unreserved my comment in page89