SURESH WADKAR HARD TO SLOT GREAT SINGER

batkoor thumbnail
Posted: 18 years ago

Dear Friends

I would liket to bring your attention to another very very talented singer, who did not get enough due for his talent. He is definitely more talented than the likes of shabbir kumar 🤢 and Kumar Sanu 🤢. Another case where real talent gets over shadowed by people who can market themselves better. I would really want to know from all of you what you think are SW'S good and bad points anf if you like any of his songs.

I found following info on him.

Birthplace: Kolhapur
Profession: Playback Singer ,Composer
Family: Wife

Suresh Wadkar is one of the artists who are benchmarks of their generation because of their talent.Though he could not become a superstar he was one of the few singers whose vocals respect its genes, one can identify his songs without any confusion.

Suresh Wadkar hails from Kolhapur in Maharashtra. His father named him 'Sur – esh' (God of Sur) because he wanted him to become a singer. At the age of ten, the boy went to the gurukul of Pandit Jialal Vasant to take formal training in music, from where comes his grounding in classical music, a must for any singer.

Thoroughly groomed in Indian Classical music, Suresh entered the Sur – Shringar Samsad at the behest of his guru. This proved to be his entrance ticket films. The young Wadkar,who had stunned his guru within a year of joining him, won the competition, which was judged by illustrious composers from Hindi cinema including Jaidev and Jaidev. In 1974, Jaidev gave him a break with 'Seene Mein Jalan' in Gaman. But though connoisseurs admire the song to this day, the art film failed to give him general exposure. This explains the erroneous assumption that Wadkar's first film was Rajshri's Paheli in which Ravindra Jain composed the hit Wadkar – Hemlata duet 'Bishti Kare Tipur Tipar'.

Lata Mangeshkarwas so impressed with him that she rang up composers like Laxmikant, Kalyanji and Khayyam in his presence and strongly recommended the young boy's voice. Laxmikant – Pyarelal too were impressed and soon recorded a duet with Lata 'Chal Chameli Bagh Mein' for Krodhi (1981), and soon after gave him hit songs in Hum Paanch, Pyasa Sawan ('Megha re Megha Re') and above all, his turning point in films, Raj Kapoor's Prem Rog, in which he sang all the four songs for hero Rishi Kapoor.Among Kalyanji – Kalyanji's songs, the Vidhaata number 'Hathon Ki Chand Lakeeron Ka' proved a big hit. He sings non – filmi albums in Hindi and Marathi and sings in Marathi films too.

He was unluckily branded as a semi – classical singer despite singing so many light songs in Hindi.He proved himself an original and not a clone with his major hits including Laxmikant – Pyarelal's Krodhi, Hum Paanch (title song), Pyasa Sawan, Prem Rog,Coolie ( 'Hum Ko Ishq Hai Logon' ), Hero('Mohabbat Yeh Mohabbat'), Utsav, Sindoor, Eeshwar, Saudagar and Prem Granth, Kalyanji – Anandji's 'Aur Is Dil Mein' from Imaandaar, Rajesh Roshan's 'Kaale Kaale Badal' (Anjaane), Anand Milind's Dil, Vansh and Bol Radha Bol, Hridaynath Mangeshkar's Dhanwaan and Lekin, Ravindra Jain's Paheli, Ram Teri Ganga Mailiand Henna, Shiv – Hari's 59c Chaandni, Usha Khanna's Saajan Bina Suhagan, R. D. Burman's Parinda, A. R. Rahman's Rangeela, Vishal's Maachis, Dilip Sen – Sameer Sen's Aaina and others.

Suresh Wadkar has now turned composer with two Marathi films and the Hindi film Dil Churaya Aapne. But singing continues to be his first love and he feels that he has miles to go before he can reach anywhere near the great singers.

Best Of Suresh Wadkar:
Song Movie
Lagee aaj saawan ki Chandni
Pardesi Pardesi Jaana Nahin Raja Hindustani
Chhod Aaye Hum Vo Galiyaan Maachis
Chappa chappa charkha chale Maachis
Anar Dana Anar Dana Heenna

Edited by batkoor - 18 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

juggyE thumbnail
👏

How can you even mention Shabbir Kumar and Kumar Sanu in the same sentence 🤢. He's definitely head and shoulders above those two.

Also, Dont forget the song "Ai zindagi gale lagaa le"...
batkoor thumbnail
Thanks juggyE ji

I am glad there are some suresh wadkar fans out there.
yes i abslotely love ae zindagi gale laga le.
i think he sang so called halke phulke songs with great ease. It is sad that he got typecast as serious singer.
what do you think.
*Jaya* thumbnail
Also love 'Surmai Shaam is tarah aaye' from Lekin...

Utna thaharaaw... Amazing 👏
SolidSnake thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Yeah, Suresh ji is one talented singer who somehow couldn't realise his potential. Woh galat time pe industry mein aaye (when Music was in decline, worst period in Hindi film industry 1980-90)..similarly Farukh Sheikh bhi galat time pe aa gaye, kya bakwaas films banti thi us time...otherwise he was such a talented actor.

Anyhow, a big 👏 for Suresh ji.
coolsam thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

batkoor, you did the right thing by posting Suresh Wadkarji's great work here. 👏
Suresh Wadkar is a great singer. Nobody can be even compared with the voice  he has got. What a great voice. 👏
I like his 'Saanjh dhale gagan tale'.
I like all of his songs. Edited by coolsam - 18 years ago
batkoor thumbnail
Thanks Guys , I think it also matters how much you can suck upto MD'S and producers. Suresh ji couldn't do that obviously. He is doing  a great service by teaching students in guru shishya parampara in mumbai. 👏 👏
absolutely a delight to listen to.
sunanda Edited by batkoor - 18 years ago
batkoor thumbnail
Thanks coolsam ji. It is heartening to know that sur ke premi har jagah hai, bas awaaz dene ki zaroorat hai.
sunanda
*Jaya* thumbnail
Sunanda'ji - IF me aapko sur ke saathi anek milenge... 😊 Aapne sahi jagah pe awaaz di hai...   😳

batkoor thumbnail
Thanks jayc1234 ji 😳 it is wonderful to talk music with like minded people. very lovely to know that some one somewhere appreciates what we are thinking.
many thanks. 😊
sunanda