Good:
1. Kaminey: Loved the film and it is now my favourite of the year. The performances are top-notch and I loved the unpredictability and madness of the plot. Really interesting, mad-cap characters and a film that kept me hooked from start to finish.
2. Dev D: I have never really liked Devdas as a story much but this film impressed me immensely. Lovely performances, and a side of India you never see on film. The near masochistic nature of the relationships in the film is something that is oddly-refreshing to see on screen. And Anurag Kashyap used the music brilliantly.
3. Luck By Chance: I loved how the film goes about showering the film industry in equal parts with sardonic humour and an empathetic light. I loved Konkona, Farhan and Rishi Kapoor in it. An interesting bunch of characters and a film that is cynical yet heart-warming.
4. Love Aaj Kal: This film showed relationships in a way I have never seen in Indian films before. There were moments which felt like they were coming out of my own experiences. Or from stories I have heard. It could have been better, but its still a film I like a lot.
Other films I liked were Gulaal for its stellar performances and its innovative subject. The film is dark, cynical and doesn't hold back any punches but at the same time so interesting and arresting. Wake Up Sid - though there were some flaws in the film, its still nice to see such an "un-filmy" romance and to see a director who is so into and understanding of the milieu he has set his story in. Also enjoyed the lack of melodrama though I wish the transformation of Sid felt more earned. Firaaq was good too.
At a pinch, 3 Idiots. A very average film for me - but it still had its moments.
Bad:
Ajab Prem ka Ghazab Headache: was that a movie? I managed to stay put till the climax, but that was the end of my patience.
Dil Bole Hadippa: Over use of slow mo, Rani overacting as Veera, and a hairbrained plot, and seizure inducing visuals.
What's Your Rashee?: Even if Ashu G had kept the useless subplots away, WYR could never have been salvaged because the romance in the movie is so insipid. Too long, too boring. The only thing good about the film is Priyanka.
Kurbaan and NY were quite bad as well. Thrillers with incredibly non-sensical plots.
Horrendous:
Kambakht Ishq: CRUDE CRUDE CRUDE and unfunny.
Life Partner: Screaming is not the same as acting.
CC2C: Headache
16