The audience cheered as the curtains open.Mayank stood exactly where he was ordered to stand.He felt a sense of satisfaction and relief.The play had gone extremely well.This last scene and it was over.The reviews would be fabulous.
The spot light brightened as Nupur entered.The audience gasped.Dressed in a golden lace saree,her hair hanging down on her shoulders,a slight smile on her face,she looked like a goddess walking on earth.Mayank watched mersmerised as she walked shyly towards him.
He walked to her and said.
"Isha!Tum yahaan?"
"Haan Varun!I came here to thank you for all that you have done for Lekha."
Mayank shook his head.
"Thank me?You don't need to thank me ever for anything."
Nupur stared at him.
"Why?"
"Because everything that makes you happy makes me happy too."
She blushed.
"Why?"
He moved slightly closer.
"You know very well why.I have told you time and again and yet you act as if you know nothing.I love you.I love you so much that it feels the world is nothing without you.But then you have always known that for I have always felt that that way.But I wont ever say this again if you tell me that you still have no feelings for me..What do you feel?"
The audience was silent by this time.The silence was reasonant.It was obvious that they were leaning me.Mayank didn't blame them.His heart was beating audibly.He looked at Nupur who were staring wide eyed at him.It was so real!And why not?He felt like he meant he every word,he spoke.
Nupur stood staring at him.
I love you.I love you so much that it feels the world is nothing without you
He had said it!He had said what she craved to hear.She was in a world of her own oblivious to the people around.She was unaware of the millions of eyes following her movement,of people from backstage urging her to speak.She was aware only of her thumping heart and the boundless happiness.He moved slowly towards her,looking confused.
"Isha'"he said.
The word was like a slap to her.She closed her eyes.It was Varun speaking!There was no Mayank anywhere.This was a play.
Get on with your lines.
"Varun'I.."she began slowly.There was a sigh of relief from somewhere behind her and the instrumental track started on cue.
How could you think Mayank would say something like that to you?Love'indeed!Mayank can never love someone like you'never!!you will never be good enough for him'ever.
The lines'Nupur!
"Varun'I don't think'I'"
Go on..Finish it Nupur!A few lines and the play is over and never again would you hear such words from his lips.He would never say all that he has said to you as Varun.
The thought was like a knife to her heart.She concentrated on her lines but for the life of her she couldn't remember what they were.She looked at the audience,the lights blurring.She was panic stricken by now.
Mayank moved closer to her,shocked by her prolonged silence.
"Isha..what do you feel?"
She turned to look at him,her lovely face terrified.
"I cant.."she said brokenly.
"You'"
"I don't remember what I am supposed to say."she said
There was a gasp from the backstage.Mayank moved closer and cupped her face.
"Say what you feel."
"I'"
"Say you love me."he said,his eyes shining.
"I love you'so much.."she said.Why was it so easy to say it?
"I love you too."he said.
He pulled her into his arms,hugging her impulsively.She clung on to him.The lights dimmed slowly.He held her,his heart breaking into two.She was sobbing in his arms.He tightened his hold of her trying to comfort her.
The curtains closed slowly and the audience cheered madly.
The moment the curtains closed,Nupur shoved him away and raced away.Mayank stood shocked for a moment and then followed her.He sidestepped his friends,ignoring every pat and every word muttered.His eyes searched for her and only her.
It was minutes before he found her.She was sitting in the ground,beneath a huge tree.She was trembling slightly as though crying.
His heart clenched.He moved swiftly towards her.
"Nupur!What happened?"he asked gently.
She looked up,her face tear stained.
"What happened?I was about to ruin it all..everything.All these weeks of work everyone's efforts 'everything because I couldn't remember what I was supposed to say.I couldn't remember..I tried'I really did but I couldn't.The play would have'"
she was sobbing softly as she talked.
He knelt down,feeling her pain.
"Nothing like that happened.You didn't ruin anything.Noone realised you forgot.Everyone in the audience was cheering."
She gave him a wan smile.
"Yes!No one realised because you handled it so well.Thanks Mayank!"
He clapsed her hand.
"You don't need to thank me ever for anything'"he began.
The smile turned into a grimace.
"Mayank'please don't."
"'because everything that makes you happy makes me happy too."
Nupur stood up,her eyes sparkling with anger.
"Mayank stop the Varun act.The play is over and we are not on stage."
He stood up too.
"I know."he said simply.
Her heart skipped a beat.She couldn't speak,she could only stare.
"Let me finish Nupur. You don't need to thank me ever for anything because everything that makes you happy makes me happy too.When I see you smile I feel like a beam of hope sparkling through me.All my worries and my problems fade into inconsequential.Nothing matters because you are smiling'you are happy."
She stared at him,feeling something soaring past her.Tears blurred her vision.
He looked at her.
"But you don't want me to be happy,do you?"he asked.
She started.
"Mayank how can you'"she began.
"If you wanted me to be happy,you would never cry.Have you any idea how much pain your tears give me?"
Nupur sniffed,trying to control her wayward mind.
"By god Mayank if this turns out to be a cruel joke'"she said warningly.
"It is a cruel joke!"he said."A cruel joke that I say what I feel and you think its Varun speaking.A cruel joke that I cant see my life without you.A cruel joke that if you so much as look as someone I feel the urge to kill him.A cruel joke that'"he stopped as she put a finger on his lips.
"'a cruel joke that you mean the world to me.A cruel joke that everytime you touch me I feel I am on the verge of heartattack."she said,blushing softly.
They laughed slowly as they moved towards eachother.He took her in his arms and kissed her forehead.
"A cruel joke that we both fell in love with the person'"he began
"..that we had sworn to hate."she finished.
They smiled as each other.He leaned down and kissed her tears away.Then he cupped her face,his breath on her face.She closed her eyes feeling lightheaded.
"Nupur'Do you understand what I am trying to tell you?"
She nodded shyly.
'Yes.You love me."
He smiled.
"Yes'Nupur and you love me."
They stared into each other's eyes and smiled again,feeling that the moment should last forever.
Let me know what you think please!