Bollywood News, Bollywood Movies, Bollywood Chat

Curious case of Kaif, Turcotte, Roberts?

greenletters thumbnail
Anniversary 6 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 1 years ago

I know this topic is done to death, but I wanted to put a new spin to it. Since so many might or might not believe the surname(s) related to Katrina or her half Indian/Kashmiri background, I thought I would look into this and see where this rabbit hole takes me. I am taking you (reader) along with me however this post isn't to criticize, judge or look down upon her and her family. Just to get to know something and hear your opinion. So please, let's look at a few things first: The origins of the names, the population with those names, and more. I am going through things I have read on other forums and such, so some of these things are not all from me, but also from other people who have done their own digging. So, whatever is shared will be linked to see for yourself. I am merely piecing things together because I have always thought this topic is interesting. Again, this isn't to shame anyone, but to merely know or try to get to know some things here.

Firstly, I want to know where the name Kaif comes from. According to Google "The surname Kaif was first found in Bavaria, where the name Kaipff was anciently associated with the tribal conflicts of the area. They declared allegiances to many nobles and princes of early history, lending their influence in struggles for power and status within the region. They branched into many houses, and their contributions were sought by many leaders in their search for power" (https://www.houseofnames.com/kaif-family-crest). 

Though, I found that, it appears to be an Arab/Muslim name.

kaif.jpg

A map I found explains that the name is higher in these areas (https://forebears.io/surnames/kaif). Of course that makes sense. The popular cricketer Mohamed Kaif, bares the name. He is also the same name as said Katrina's father (or so we think). The rumor is that he is what inspired the name of her said father.

When Ayesha Shroff (Jackie Shroff's wife and producer of Boom) was asked if she changed Katrina's name she states "She had an English surname, which was not easy to pronounce. She is not Katrina Kaif originally. She is Katrina Turquotte. We wanted to give her a surname which would be accepted by the Indian audience. First we thought of naming her Katrina Kazi, but then we thought Kazi would have a religious overtone. So we thought of Kaif" (2009, https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/entertainment/hindi/bollywood/news/kat-is-turquotte-not-kaif-ayesha-shroff/articleshow/4905115.cms)

Makes one wonder, what will Jackie gain from saying this? Nothing, and of course it changes nothing on Katrina. 13 years after that interview she is still clearly loved. 

So, look at this bit. Back in 2003 however, Katrina could not even pronounce her said fathers surname correctly. Though one could argue that since she didn't grow up with him she might not have known. True, but one would also assume that since her siblings still call her father, dad, to this day, you would think he wasn't completely out of their lives. And then one might say, "well, greenletters, she has a different dad than her siblings...." we will address this much later as well! 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtT9ijHyPXM

Here is the newcomer saying her own surname quite oddly, but I digress. 

Moving on....let's look at those with the surname! (Does this mean anything) No, but for visual purposes let's just look....hmmm only Katrina, her siblings and Mohd. Kaif show up...so here you have...Katrina and Mohd together!....(but not her father)

Secondly, let's look up Turquotte, or Turcotte. When googling the name as Turquotte, Google tells me this is an error and that is is indeed spelled Turcotte (Tur-cot).

Altered form of French (Vendée) Turcot: diminutive of Turc ‘Turk’ used as a nickname for a swarthy individual or for someone who had traveled to the eastern Mediterranean (e.g. on a crusade); see also Turk . Altered ending reflects the Canadian and American French practice of sounding the final -t. (https://www.ancestry.com/name-origin?surname=turcotte#:~:text=Turcotte%20Family%20History-,Turcotte%20Name%20Meaning,crusade)%3B%20see%20also%20Turk%20.)

A brief example also places the name with this history: 

Early Origins of the Turcotte family

The surname Turcotte was first found in Provence, where this distinguished family held a family seat since ancient times.

Since the 12th century, this impressive family has been known in Italy by the du Turca name which originated from the Viscounts of Toscanne. In 1225, the Emperor, Frederick II, instructed his chaplain to reconcile various branches of the name that originated from the House of Toscanne and the Turca name was among that list. The next mention of the family was in 1320, with a spelling variation, when Gapençais of Torquat is mentioned. Throughout the centuries the family expanded, prospered and branched out to Lyon where the Torquet family is mentioned in 1500, and in 1558 where the Torquat family of Coulerie and of Bretagne are recorded. Playing an important role in his community, Laurens Turcal of la Valteline in Geneva is mentioned in 1572. (https://www.houseofnames.com/turcotte-family-crest

Also, I did not find any alternate spellings going by Turquotte but rather: Turcat, Turcatte, Tourcat, Turquat, Torcat, Turcot, Turcott, Turcotte, Turcas, Turca, Turqua, Turcas, Turcal, Turcatt, Turcate, Tourcatt, Tourcatte, Tourcate, Turquate, Turquatt, Turquatte, Torquat, Torquet, Torquate, Torquete, Torquette, Torquat, and Torquatte.

Interestingly enough, Katrina has not denied this was the name on her passport. However she is adamant that is is indeed her mother's last name. Weirdly though, the man her other siblings call father (Ronald Turcotte) is married to a woman named Beet Turcotte. So, what confuses me is that if she admits that Turcotte is indeed the name on her passport, than why would her dad have this surname? One could argue "but he's her stepdad" sure, but then why is she saying it's her mother's name? She could simply state "it's my step dad's name which I adopted because my biological father wasn't around." Which would make more sense to me. But, I digress. 

I wanted to look and see what the average Turcotte looks like and more into the people who carry this surname. I ended up looking up 'Turcotte family' and Google shows me this:

So, we move on to something else from this name meaning. It says those who travel to eastern Mediterranean. Let's look at those countries.

• Afghanistan
  • Bahrain
  • Djibouti
  • Egypt
  • Iran (Islamic Republic of)
  • Iraq

to name a few....so let's see where the name Turcotte is mostly prominent.

namess.jpg

Something to add, is that Katrina's dad resides in the land with the highest name of such origin. Also, as the name suggests they reference Turk, French, and Eastern Mediterranean. I was curious to look up a mixture of french and eastern Mediterranean mixtures. 

This woman makes a post talking about herself....essentially she might look Turkish, but has no ancestry. It's interesting how certain mixes can create diverse looking people regardless. Maybe this is Katrina's case?

https://www.reddit.com/r/23andme/comments/dvqvs1/people_always_think_im_turkishiranian_couldnt_be/

These are French Algerian women. Why I used them was to showcase the obvious French mix, though Algeria isn't Eastern Mediterranean, some people consider them more Arab (as most are) than African.

Now let's look at Katrina's dad

We have all seen this infamous picture of baby Katrina with her parents and siblings. Yes, she appears tanned, so does her dad. Not denying that. But also saying he is some Mohd. Kaif is probably a stretch at this point. And before anyone jumps on me and says she doesn't look like any of her siblings, well how many pictures have we seen of her siblings being tanned with jet black hair? To act like her dark hair comes from thin air would also be odd given her parents clearly both have it.

Her mom

This is the same man from above, just without his mustache and bad lighting.

again

again, this time with sister Melissa 

again, 

again, 

and again!

and before you say Katrina doesn't look like him...guess again! 

They really do share the same looking eyes, huh? Weird

While basing things on the argument that she is darker than her siblings, looks different, let's look at a much younger, newer Katrina.

Now, it is hard to say she may or may not look different than some of her siblings, due to the fact that some of her siblings have different last names, (her first two siblings). The rest all go by the name Turcotte and Roberts. Also, we do not have so many pictures of her siblings to say they look completely different. I don't think there is a huge different. If given the chance to see her other sisters sport a tan, they may or may not look similar to Katrina.

She does have moments where is very 'fair' in complexion too....so there's that!

I find she resembles her sisters too

They share similar features to me. 

Now that I am done rambling about that, let's move on to the name Roberts.

Firstly, where did I come up with that name and how is it associated to Katrina. Well according the the mega post on reddit bollyblindngossip (https://www.reddit.com/r/BollyBlindsNGossip/comments/gn5ljt/katrina_kaif_the_mega_post/)

The OP has screenshots of family associated to Katrinas dad going by the last name of Roberts. My assumption is they are using their mother's name to avoid people finding them. I believe at one time they were going by Turcotte on social media.

You can see a few of her sisters in Ronald's friends list, while Ann appears to be Isabelle. I am assuming her middle name is Ann. This is the only plausible thing to me. 

So, Katrina says her mother is from Bath, England. Also, if her mother's surname is Roberts (we are assuming here) then let's see the origin.

Roberts Name Meaning

English: from the personal name Robert with genitival or post-medieval excrescent -s. This surname is also occasionally borne by Jews presumably as an Americanized form of some similar (like-sounding) Jewish surname. (https://www.ancestry.com/name-origin?surname=roberts)

Roberts is a surname of English and Welsh origin, deriving from the given name Robert, meaning "bright renown" – from the Germanic elements "hrod" meaning renown and "beraht" meaning bright. The surname, meaning "son of Robert", is common in North Wales[1][2][3] and elsewhere in the United Kingdom. It may also be an Anglicization of the French surname Robert, commonly adopted by Quebec emigrants. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roberts_(surname)#:~:text=Roberts%20is%20a%20surname%20of,elsewhere%20in%20the%20United%20Kingdom.)

There were literally many places with where this name sits, but I wanted to show where it was most prominent. Anyway, I don't doubt for any second that her mother is English, and that her maiden surname could be Roberts.

With this, it is all I have to present to you today. I hope you found this as interesting as I did. 

Edited by greenletters - 1 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

TheMinion thumbnail
Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 7 Thumbnail + 8

AND…

The longest essay in the history of IF award goes to…

Joannna thumbnail
Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 2 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

All this is true. Katrina has no Indian father named Mohammad Kaif. She has no Indian heritage whatsoever .

What she does have is the amazing ability for fooling the whole of Indian to believing her fake Kaif story. I think that is the main reason the Kapoors were against her marrying into their family owing to her shady background. 

But I do also believe that Kat is genuinely a good person and has worked hard(along with Salman’s help) to reach where she has. She has maintained good relations with almost everyone. 

Grumpydwarf24 thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 4

Dude wherever her genes came from they were damn good genes. She is stunning.

Edited by Grumpydwarf24 - 1 years ago
oh_nakhrewaali thumbnail

This content was originally posted by: TheMinion

AND…

The longest essay in the history of IF award goes to…

We need such more categories. Unbiased awards honge😅

YourCat thumbnail

Fod gonna spam this topic for the next 1 year

Zeal17 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 7

This content was originally posted by: Grumpydwarf24

Dude wherever her jeans came from they were damn good genes. She is stunning.

💀

TotalBetty thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3

Haven't read more than a single line yet

But  I am very impressed 👍🏼

This content was originally posted by: greenletters

I know this topic is done to death, but I wanted to put a new spin to it. Since so many might or might not believe the surname(s) related to Katrina or her half Indian/Kashmiri background, I thought I would look into this and see where this rabbit hole takes me. I am taking you (reader) along with me however this post isn't to criticize, judge or look down upon her and her family. Just to get to know something and hear your opinion. So please, let's look at a few things first: The origins of the names, the population with those names, and more. I am going through things I have read on other forums and such, so some of these things are not all from me, but also from other people who have done their own digging. So, whatever is shared will be linked to see for yourself. I am merely piecing things together because I have always thought this topic is interesting. Again, this isn't to shame anyone, but to merely know or try to get to know some things here.

Firstly, I want to know where the name Kaif comes from. According to Google "The surname Kaif was first found in Bavaria, where the name Kaipff was anciently associated with the tribal conflicts of the area. They declared allegiances to many nobles and princes of early history, lending their influence in struggles for power and status within the region. They branched into many houses, and their contributions were sought by many leaders in their search for power" (https://www.houseofnames.com/kaif-family-crest). 

Though, I found that, it appears to be an Arab/Muslim name.

kaif.jpg

A map I found explains that the name is higher in these areas (https://forebears.io/surnames/kaif). Of course that makes sense. The popular cricketer Mohamed Kaif, bares the name. He is also the same name as said Katrina's father (or so we think). The rumor is that he is what inspired the name of her said father.

When Ayesha Shroff (Jackie Shroff's wife and producer of Boom) was asked if she changed Katrina's name she states "She had an English surname, which was not easy to pronounce. She is not Katrina Kaif originally. She is Katrina Turquotte. We wanted to give her a surname which would be accepted by the Indian audience. First we thought of naming her Katrina Kazi, but then we thought Kazi would have a religious overtone. So we thought of Kaif" (2009, https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/entertainment/hindi/bollywood/news/kat-is-turquotte-not-kaif-ayesha-shroff/articleshow/4905115.cms)

Makes one wonder, what will Jackie gain from saying this? Nothing, and of course it changes nothing on Katrina. 13 years after that interview she is still clearly loved. 

So, look at this bit. Back in 2003 however, Katrina could not even pronounce her said fathers surname correctly. Though one could argue that since she didn't grow up with him she might not have known. True, but one would also assume that since her siblings still call her father, dad, to this day, you would think he wasn't completely out of their lives. And then one might say, "well, greenletters, she has a different dad than her siblings...." we will address this much later as well! 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtT9ijHyPXM

Here is the newcomer saying her own surname quite oddly, but I digress. 

Moving on....let's look at those with the surname! (Does this mean anything) No, but for visual purposes let's just look....hmmm only Katrina, her siblings and Mohd. Kaif show up...so here you have...Katrina and Mohd together!....(but not her father)

Secondly, let's look up Turquotte, or Turcotte. When googling the name as Turquotte, Google tells me this is an error and that is is indeed spelled Turcotte (Tur-cot).

Altered form of French (Vendée) Turcot: diminutive of Turc ‘Turk’ used as a nickname for a swarthy individual or for someone who had traveled to the eastern Mediterranean (e.g. on a crusade); see also Turk . Altered ending reflects the Canadian and American French practice of sounding the final -t. (https://www.ancestry.com/name-origin?surname=turcotte#:~:text=Turcotte%20Family%20History-,Turcotte%20Name%20Meaning,crusade)%3B%20see%20also%20Turk%20.)

A brief example also places the name with this history: 

Early Origins of the Turcotte family

The surname Turcotte was first found in Provence, where this distinguished family held a family seat since ancient times.

Since the 12th century, this impressive family has been known in Italy by the du Turca name which originated from the Viscounts of Toscanne. In 1225, the Emperor, Frederick II, instructed his chaplain to reconcile various branches of the name that originated from the House of Toscanne and the Turca name was among that list. The next mention of the family was in 1320, with a spelling variation, when Gapençais of Torquat is mentioned. Throughout the centuries the family expanded, prospered and branched out to Lyon where the Torquet family is mentioned in 1500, and in 1558 where the Torquat family of Coulerie and of Bretagne are recorded. Playing an important role in his community, Laurens Turcal of la Valteline in Geneva is mentioned in 1572. (https://www.houseofnames.com/turcotte-family-crest

Also, I did not find any alternate spellings going by Turquotte but rather: Turcat, Turcatte, Tourcat, Turquat, Torcat, Turcot, Turcott, Turcotte, Turcas, Turca, Turqua, Turcas, Turcal, Turcatt, Turcate, Tourcatt, Tourcatte, Tourcate, Turquate, Turquatt, Turquatte, Torquat, Torquet, Torquate, Torquete, Torquette, Torquat, and Torquatte.

Interestingly enough, Katrina has not denied this was the name on her passport. However she is adamant that is is indeed her mother's last name. Weirdly though, the man her other siblings call father (Ronald Turcotte) is married to a woman named Beet Turcotte. So, what confuses me is that if she admits that Turcotte is indeed the name on her passport, than why would her dad have this surname? One could argue "but he's her stepdad" sure, but then why is she saying it's her mother's name? She could simply state "it's my step dad's name which I adopted because my biological father wasn't around." Which would make more sense to me. But, I digress. 

I wanted to look and see what the average Turcotte looks like and more into the people who carry this surname. I ended up looking up 'Turcotte family' and Google shows me this:

So, we move on to something else from this name meaning. It says those who travel to eastern Mediterranean. Let's look at those countries.

• Afghanistan
  • Bahrain
  • Djibouti
  • Egypt
  • Iran (Islamic Republic of)
  • Iraq

to name a few....so let's see where the name Turcotte is mostly prominent.

namess.jpg

Something to add, is that Katrina's dad resides in the land with the highest name of such origin. Also, as the name suggests they reference Turk, French, and Eastern Mediterranean. I was curious to look up a mixture of french and eastern Mediterranean mixtures. 

This woman makes a post talking about herself....essentially she might look Turkish, but has no ancestry. It's interesting how certain mixes can create diverse looking people regardless. Maybe this is Katrina's case?

https://www.reddit.com/r/23andme/comments/dvqvs1/people_always_think_im_turkishiranian_couldnt_be/

These are French Algerian women. Why I used them was to showcase the obvious French mix, though Algeria isn't Easter Mediterranean, some people consider them more Arab (as most are) than African.

Now let's look at Katrina's dad

We have all seen this infamous picture of baby Katrina with her parents and siblings. Yes, she appears tanned, so does her dad. Not denying that. But also saying he is some Mohd. Kaif is probably a stretch at this point. And before anyone jumps on me and says she doesn't look like any of her siblings, well how many pictures have we seen of her siblings being tanned with jet black hair? To act like her dark hair comes from thin air would also be odd given her parents clearly both have it.

Her mom

This is the same man from above, just without his mustache and bad lighting.

again

again, this time with sister Melissa 

again, 

again, 

and again!

and before you say Katrina doesn't look like him...guess again! 

They really do share the same looking eyes, huh? Weird

While basing things on the argument that she is darker than her siblings, looks different, let's look at a much younger, newer Katrina.

Now, it is hard to say she may or may not look different than some of her siblings, due to the fact that some of her siblings have different last names, (her first two siblings). The rest all go by the name Turcotte and Roberts. Also, we do not have so many pictures of her siblings to say they look completely different. I don't think there is a huge different. If given the chance to see her other sisters sport a tan, they may or may not look similar to Katrina.

She does have moments where is very 'fair' in complexion too....so there's that!

I find she resembles her sisters too

They share similar features to me. 

Now that I am done rambling about that, let's move on to the name Roberts.

Firstly, where did I come up with that name and how is it associated to Katrina. Well according the the mega post on reddit bollyblindngossip (https://www.reddit.com/r/BollyBlindsNGossip/comments/gn5ljt/katrina_kaif_the_mega_post/)

The OP has screenshots of family associated to Katrinas dad going by the last name of Roberts. My assumption is they are using their mother's name to avoid people finding them. I believe at one time they were going by Turcotte on social media.

You can see a few of her sisters in Ronald's friends list, while Ann appears to be Isabelle. I am assuming her middle name is Ann. This is the only plausible thing to me. 

So, Katrina says her mother is from Bath, England. Also, if her mother's surname is Roberts (we are assuming here) then let's see the origin.

Roberts Name Meaning

English: from the personal name Robert with genitival or post-medieval excrescent -s. This surname is also occasionally borne by Jews presumably as an Americanized form of some similar (like-sounding) Jewish surname. (https://www.ancestry.com/name-origin?surname=roberts)

Roberts is a surname of English and Welsh origin, deriving from the given name Robert, meaning "bright renown" – from the Germanic elements "hrod" meaning renown and "beraht" meaning bright. The surname, meaning "son of Robert", is common in North Wales[1][2][3] and elsewhere in the United Kingdom. It may also be an Anglicization of the French surname Robert, commonly adopted by Quebec emigrants. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roberts_(surname)#:~:text=Roberts%20is%20a%20surname%20of,elsewhere%20in%20the%20United%20Kingdom.)

There were literally many places with where this name sits, but I wanted to show where it was most prominent. Anyway, I don't doubt for any second that her mother is English, and that her maiden surname could be Roberts.

With this, it is all I have to present to you today. I hope you found this as interesting as I did. 

Zeal17 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 7

What is the Crux of all this?

TotalBetty thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3

That she's neither a Kaif nor a half Indian as she claims to be?

Bear in mind I haven't read the post yet