Raghvi OS : The Twin Trouble

Posted: 3 years ago

Raghav should've guessed something was wrong when his house was quiet as a sunday morning in the middle of tuesday. But nothing could've prepared him for the sight in front of him. Nothing. 

He wasn't a man who tasted panic often but beholding his ten year old son, he did tasted it. With a force that left him immobile.

It wasn't the child's bloodstained muddy shirt which was pristine white this morning; or his crooked tie that he himself had knotted to a perfection; or those angry scratches on his face, some bleeding; not even the bloody knuckles of his hands, fisted tightly at his sides. No. It was the picture that the kid's disheveled form painted altogether. 

He'd often smiled when people told him that Ian was his spitting image. But witnessing the darkness of his past reflecting in his ten year old, horrified him.

"Please, don't be mad at Ian, Dad" pleaded Ryan grabbing a hold of his twin's hand and Raghav immediately shifted his attention to his other son scanning him from head to toe for any injury. Fortunately, he seemed unharmed.

He grinned, trying to reassure Ryan which earned him a narrowed, disapproving glance from his Amma and he felt like a chastised child himself.

"Raghav..." Pallavi gave him a scathing look and he wiped the grin off his face.

It's been ten years, but every time his kids raise trouble Raghav finds himself at a loss. He has no idea what the he'll he's supposed to do. But, somehow, he's managed alright. Until today. When the ghost of his fears finally materialised in front of him. 

Ian kept starting at his shoes. Ryan joined him instead of starting at his own, Raghav wondered why? Pallavi and his Amma had their eyes trained on him. Slowly, it hit him. He was the father. And they expected him to discipline Ian. He felt a second wave of panic hit him.

"Put away your school things... rest up and eat.. I'll talk to you in the evening" he addressed them and risked a glance at the two ladies expecting their approval.

Amma gave him her signature disappointment look and Pallavi didn't spared him any expression at all. She brushed past him towards her son. Her hands bracing her hips, her stance combative.

"If you're going to get into trouble at school, then you better learn to pay consequences at home as well" she stated.

Ryan, who rarely kept his mouth shut, stood silently by his brother's side but it was the defiance in Ian's eyes that caught his attention. His chest tightened and that's when he knew, they're doing it all wrong.

"Pallavi, for god's sake, give him room to breathe" he tried to reason with her.

"Not today..." she raised her palm to silence him. "Today, he crossed the bounds, he needs to know it."

"Raghav... she's the mother. She has a say in her children's upbringing" his mother's hostility conveyed that she, too, was recollecting memories they'd buried long ago.

God save him from these women. They've already tried and judged the kid guilty.

"He might've reasons..." before he could complete Pallavi whirled towards him so violently that he took a step back.

"Says who?" she was trying hard not to show her anger but her voice raised anyway. "A father who teaches his sons to fight like roadside thugs... in the name of self defence. And when a ten year old came home in a bloody mess, all you've gotta say is "Rest up" "lets eat". Why don't you just hand him an award and pat his back for following your footsteps so well" she shouted the last part.

The words ate like acid at Raghav's heart. He wasn't offended but her words stung, nonetheless. He groaned inwardly but said nothing in his own defence. He could always snap back. But he decided not to do it. Not when he was angry. And never in front of their children.

"I got in a fight, alright! If you want to get all mad about that, fine. I don't care." Ian finally lifted his head. His eyes cold and words colder.

Raghav had a vague recollection of giving a similar reply. How the similarity tore at his heart.

"Quit it!" his words came out harsher than he intended. Ian stood indifferent but Ryan was quick to step in front of his brother, shielding him.

"Ryan... to you room, now!" he spoke in a tone that needn't be repeated.

"And you.. Angry young man will follow me to my study" he turned and dared Pallavi to defy him. She didn't say anything but she was clearly not pleased with the arrangement.But it wasn't something he wanted to fret over, then.

Ian stood closer to the door of his father's study, hands tied at his back and head bowed. Waiting for him to explode and pass the verdict. He seemed prepared for the worst. 

Raghav can't help but acknowledge that Ian was practically him. His temper, his cynicism was stamped on Ian's DNA and he wondered what happened today to bring it out. 

Physically, they were just a table apart. Emotionally, he could've been in some other universe. 

Raghav walked to the sofa and patted beside him. Some tension left his body as the boy came readily and settled beside him.

"Can I have a look?"  Ian placed his bloody knuckles in his father's much larger hand, without hesitation.

"It's not as bad as it looks" Raghav cautiously cleaned his wounds.

"Do you remember, what I told you about fighting, Ian?" 

"Hmm...Never strike first.

Don't go for vitals.

Take no pleasure in it" the kid counted them on his fingers.

"And most importantly.." Raghav prompted.

"Know when the brave choice is to walk away" Ian supplied and looked up at his father.

"Good" 

"Now, will you talk to me about what happened?" he knew better than to sound demanding.

"Will you believe me?" Raghav knew there was a great deal of emotions behind those words. He'd been there before. Unfortunately, he didn't had anyone. But his kids had him and it was his duty to reassure them of the fact.

"How would you know if you won't even try?" 

Something in his softened face and trusting eyes gave Ian the answer he was seeking.

"There's this girl in our class.." he started and Raghav couldn't help but smile at the small victory.

"She..." he paused to search his brain for the right sentence and licked his dried lips.

Raghav waited, patiently.

"She had blood on her legs and skirt... She was going through... what mommy said... a process of growing up. Nobody had told her like Mommy explained to us. So she got scared and was crying hysterically... you know, little girls... Ryan consoled her and explained that it wasn't a bad thing... he lent her his sweater... mine too... and informed the teacher just like Mommy told us to do, in case such a situation arises" 

"That was such a gentlemanly thing to do. I'm so proud of you both"

"But..." 

"But what?"

"Few stupid boys won't shut up teasing her... Ryan asked those bunch of idiots to quit it and apologise to her... and they turned on him instead. But... I didn't intervened until one of them dared to swing his fist at Ryan. I wouldn't sit back and let my brother be bullied for his kindness. If they want a slice of him they'll have to get through me"

His boys, despite being so similar physically, were totally opposite. Everybody thought so. Not him. They weren't opposites, just complementary. Both of them balanced each other's virtues and vices perfectly. Ryan's act of kindness and Ian's sense of fairplay assured him that as parents, he and Pallavi, had done a decent job.

"Did they apologised?" he inquired.

"I made sure, they do." pride was evident in his voice. 

Raghav grinned but the expression evaporated as soon as it came.

"Did I made a mistake, dad?" he asked.

NO, was his answer. But voicing it out loud might've relayed a wrong message.

"Fighting is never good Ian. But I won't fault you for standing up for your brother" he ruffled his hair lovingly.

The child looked up at him with eyes shining with unshed tears. 

"Do you want me to do something about that suspension" Raghav asked eyeing the note clutched in his good hand.

"No... It's fine. That's the least I can do to show some mercy on old Ms Das's poor nerves"

That earned him a chuckle from his father.

"And of course, we can use that time to play as much soccer as you want"

They hadn't noticed Pallavi standing in the doorway until she cleared her throat to gain the duo's attention.

She smiled at Ian in her soothing, motherly way and held out her arms. The boy quickly ran into her embrace muttering a clumsy apology about his misbehaviour. She whispered some soothing words and promised him his favourite dessert for acting like a big brother since he was a minute elder. 

Actually they weren't sure about that, they've mixed them so many times to be sure. 

"I'll go and talk to Ryan... he must be worried sick" Ian ran despite Pallavi warning him not to.

Pallavi turned to him and looked like she could cry any minute. He smiled and held out his arms same way she did for Ian and he could swear she ran faster than the little guy did. 

Her lips left a sigh as his arms closed around her waist lifting her off ground and her own hands slid convulsively around his neck, hanging onto him.

Instead of  Sorry, thank you and other hundred things she wanted to tell him she settled for an “I love you”. And Raghav couldn’t have asked for more.

PS : If you didn’t liked the twin’s names... feel free to assume your choosen ones.... I, personally, loved them

Edited by __VIHU - 3 years ago

Amazing one shot on their parenting ways.

Both kids are complete mixture of their parents.....bravery, kindness n never to give up attitude.

Raghav past experiences made him more understanding towards such behaviour of his kids which was shown in beautiful way.

Good one👏🏻👏🏻💞

I am still sighing.....the twins resemble them so much....Ryan is like Pallavi while Lan is Raghav👏

Loved every bit of it.

👏

Vihuuuuu!! Soooo happy to see another oneshot from you! 

Though I'm yet to respond on Satan's reply  I know. 🙈

Will be catching up with both soon! 🤗

Vihuuuu take a virtual hug🤗 you already by now I'm a fan your stories ❤️ Loved it ❤️ Raghav as a father awww the twins and their love for each other double aww and that raghvi hug at the end triple aww😆 

Ps -I loved the kids' name especially Ian.❤️Ian is the name of one of my most fav characters till date...❤️😆

Cute OS!!

I love RR family!!

RaghVi as parents n Amma as grandma n the kids r so adorable❤️

Such a cute os! 😍😍😍😍

Loved it 😌😌😌😌😌

Do write more❤❤❤❤

Originally posted by Innocentlove96

Amazing one shot on their parenting ways.

Both kids are complete mixture of their parents.....bravery, kindness n never to give up attitude.

Raghav past experiences made him more understanding towards such behaviour of his kids which was shown in beautiful way.

Good one👏🏻👏🏻💞

Thank you for such sweet compliments

That was the whole point... I wanted to write about raghav as a Dad... and the difference his own experience will create in his understanding of their children’s mindset...

Originally posted by Mihika

I am still sighing.....the twins resemble them so much....Ryan is like Pallavi while Lan is Raghav👏

Loved every bit of it.

👏

They both have so strong personalities that a single child wouldn’t suffice... That’s why I wanted twins...

Thank you Mihika...

Originally posted by -Sarcy-

Vihuuuuu!! Soooo happy to see another oneshot from you! 

Though I'm yet to respond on Satan's reply  I know. 🙈

Will be catching up with both soon! 🤗

Your lovely comments are always worth the wait...❤️