Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

HearMeRoar thumbnail
Posted: 3 years ago

Originally posted by: proteeti

This is in fact very interesting. That would also suggest Drona wasn't much older than the Ps or Ks, probably just a few years?

Also, Drona and Garga were siblings?

And if Angirasa and Bharadwaja were siblings then Drupad and Drona were kinda cousins too right?

I think we need another topic for all of this! πŸ€ͺ

Drona was 85 as per MBh. He was also married to Kripi, Shanthanu's adopted daughter who would be Bheeshma's generation. It is not probable Pandavas who were 2 generations down were of similar age to Drona unless Drona married a woman old enough to be his grandmother.

Also, we would have to believe Pandavas remained wifeless until their mid 40s while Krishna who was of similar age was a grandfather.

Bottom line: Bhagavatham's timeline is highly suspect.

Angirasa was one of the saptarishis. Bharadwaja came much later IIRC?

Edited by HearMeRoar - 3 years ago
wayward thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 8

^^In that case how does Drona and Drupad being classmates AND Ps being of similar age as Drupad play out?

About Krishna being married I believe I read something about Yudi and Bheem being married before Varnavart.

Krishna was extremely fast with all the marriage stuff, he probably used that one year to score 3 wives. πŸ€ͺ

About Prady, idr someone said a while back suggested Krishna adopted an adult from his uncle? Adoption was common in their family and that somehow matched up to Prady miraculous growing up story from SB.

Okay I had the same confusion about Angirasa-Bharadwaj. I just hit up their Wiki pages and in the span of 3 paragraphs they manage to make Bharadwaj Angirasa's descendant and Angirasa Bharadwaj's descendant. I don't even know HOW! 🀣

That's why I suggested lets have a different topic for this is going to be long. πŸ˜†

naq5 thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail

Regarding the human element. Krishna's foster cousin was Drupada's wife. I'm going to keep repeating it until people hear meπŸ˜†. That is probably how he and Panchali knew each other. There is nothing in the text which suggests Krishna wanted to save their friendship by marrying her which would be very weird IMO. Also, given the fact he swears to destroy the universe any time her trauma is mentioned - more than the Pandavas or her brothers, actually - I think his feelings went a little deeper. It's not just me saying it. Many, many writers have come to the same conclusion. Panchali, though, is harder to read. She almost comes across as a man (forgive me for saying this and don't shred my feminist card πŸ˜†) in putting duty ahead at all times.

[/QUOTE]

that dosent mean he was interested in panchali in a romantic way. They were obviously good friends and panchali was someone he bonded deeply with. some friendships can run very deep too. Like it was in the case of Arjun & krishna. We dont try to question their feelings if they were involved in a way more than friendship. 

Krishna not marrying draupadi could be like one member stated here, he was already married to rukmini few others too maybe & panchali would not be queen. Maybe with Pandava panchali alliance  kuru-panchal alliance was needed. maybe drupad wanted it. 

naq5 thumbnail

ved vyas seems to be controlling so much in MB. weren't  pandavas and kauravas his grand children ideally?

Edited by naq5 - 3 years ago
naq5 thumbnail

----

Edited by naq5 - 3 years ago
HearMeRoar thumbnail

Originally posted by: naq5

ved vyas seems to be controlling so much in MB. weren't  pandavas and kauravas his grand children ideally?

Vyasa clearly had the aim to establish an ideal nation. I don't think he was doing it FOR his grandsons as much as using them for his purposes. Why Pandavas as opposed to Kauravas isn't clarified, but I think he chose Yudhishtira because can you imagine Suyodhana taking advice?

HearMeRoar thumbnail

Originally posted by: naq5

that dosent mean he was interested in panchali in a romantic way. They were obviously good friends and panchali was someone he bonded deeply with. some friendships can run very deep too. Like it was in the case of Arjun & krishna. We dont try to question their feelings if they were involved in a way more than friendship. 

Krishna not marrying draupadi could be like one member stated here, he was already married to rukmini few others too maybe & panchali would not be queen. Maybe with Pandava panchali alliance  kuru-panchal alliance was needed. maybe drupad wanted it. 

Each to his own of course.

I am inclined to think so because psychoanalysis of Krishna's actions suggest that. Also, Vyasa calls Panchali Sri multiple times, even in the last scene.

It wasn't to suggest either did anything bad when they clearly didn't. I would say they all had major aims in mind - Vyasa, Krishna, Panchali, Arjuna - aims which were far more crucial than personal happiness.

Sacrifice isn't sordid.