Originally posted by: Peaceful_Haven

Such a beautiful story.. Loved it thoroughly β€οΈ

Thank u dear πŸ˜Š
BeyondHorizon thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 6
Posted: 5 years ago

Originally posted by: Kkafunda

Mandy,

i devoured the 6 chapters in 1 go. very good FF and you opened me up to the world of FFs. The small details add so much to the story. Looking forward to the rest.

Thanks for liking it Manjari πŸ˜Š Generally in fanfics, details are not appreciated to be honest πŸ˜† Or that's been my experience. But I have a habit of detailing things out. Will be posting the chapter tonight.
BeyondHorizon thumbnail
AUTHOR'S NOTE:

I am hoping you all can take 2 mins to read the note before proceeding onto the update πŸ˜³ 
  1. First things first, this is not a whodunit guys πŸ˜† I know all of you are eager to know about Zoya but this is not a suspense thriller and the crux of the story is father daughter bonding which I have emphasized on right from the first chapter. Rest assured I am not ending my story without revealing what was the deal with Zoya. Also I cannot jump to that part straight away without allowing the story to unfold. Its like you are watching a show and though you are desperate to know the twist the maker of the show will not reveal it till its the right time πŸ˜Š 
  2. I understand many have quit this forum after the show ended or before. Also I understand some of you quit this story because its not appealing anymore which I totally acknowledge and respect πŸ˜Š But if that is the case I don't see a point in sending PMs to around a 100 when I am getting a response from 1/4th of the group
  3. My sincere request to all you lovely readers is to make your presence felt. If you leave a comment, nothing would make me more happier πŸ˜Š Because every time I post an update the only thing I do for days is check if anyone has commented in my thread. Or at least hit the like button if you are a silent reader so that I know you are still interested to read it. I will send out PMs for the next chapter to only those who respond to this chapter. This by no means is being done to elicit a response but I don't want to flood your inbox if you are not reading anymore πŸ˜³

And now ends the note πŸ˜† Hope you guys like this chapter πŸ˜ƒ

Love,
Mandy πŸ€—
Edited by BeyondHorizon - 5 years ago
BeyondHorizon thumbnail
Chapter 7

Present Day: Dehradun, Siddiqui Mansion

A creaking sound greeted Aditya as he pushed open the gates he had walked past a million times in the past but yet he could not recollect the last time he had been here. Must have been a lifetime ago he thought when he heard a peal of laughter ring in the air. He turned his eyes to the source of the noise when he caught sight of three kids, two girls and a boy -  playing in the garden. Kids no older than five playing merrily without a care in the world. One of the girls with dark brown hairs that fell in ringlets past her shoulder chased after a boy who stuck his tongue out at her once before making a run for it clutching her drawing book in his hands as another girl with a long ponytail trailed after them. The boy ran past Adi ducking under his outstretched arm that was holding one of the gates. The little boy did a double take once and looked straight at him, his hazel orbs piercing his own with a knowing look in his eyes. As the wave of recognition hit him, Adi staggered back a step holding onto the gate to stop himself from falling. When he turned back to see the other kids who were playing with the boy there were none. He scanned the ground once more hoping his mind was not playing any tricks on him but he found himself all alone entrapped in a resounding silence. He turned around to close the gates when he saw a young boy standing outside, not more than six feet away from him. Must be in his early teens Adi thought taking him in. A lanky lad with messy black hairs that fell across his forehead, almost shrouding his eyes. Even though Adi could not see past those hairs, he could sense the sadness emanating out of the eyes that was being shielded by them. Like it was calling out to his own soul. As the boy lifted his hand, his lips curved slightly upwards and Adi felt that even before he could see it. Something had changed. Something that seemed to give momentary solace to the boy taking some of that sadness away, even if it was for a fleeting moment. Or maybe a someone. He turned around and saw a pretty girl who was of the boy's age waving back at him. Warm chocolate brown eyes that held unconditional love and compassion in them and long wavy hairs that framed her heart shaped face with a smile that could light up even the darkest of nights, she looked like an angel. If angels did exist Adi mused unable to take his eyes off of her. There was something about that girl. Something that made Adi want to reach out to her but he held himself back. With a start he realized he should not have been here in the first place. He was being privy to a moment that was meant to be only between that girl and the boy standing before him. He closed his eyes taking a step back and when he opened them a moment later the boy was gone and so was the girl. He ignored the feeling that gnawed at his heart and closed the gates taking a step towards the mansion when he noticed a young man stealthily climbing down the balcony of a room that was all too familiar to him. His first instinct screamed at him to warn the habitants of the house. The guy could be dangerous - he could be a thief or worse. He rushed forward hoping to handle the situation himself when he heard a musical laughter coming from inside the room that made him halt in his tracks. A moment later a woman stepped out of the room and leaned against the railings of the balcony, her face obscured by a mane of her hair. Adi stood rooted to the spot as the scene unfolded before him. She waited as the man slowly made his way down and when he knew it was safe to jump, he let go but this time he was not so fortunate as he landed hard on his back while the woman giggled heartily at his plight like a child. Adi smiled listening to the sound of laughter which reminded him of a long lost melodious tune but the next moment he felt like he was being doused in a bucket of ice cold water as the woman pulled back her hairs to reveal a face that was ingrained in his memories forever. As he saw a mirage of his former younger self get off the ground and dust his backside, he felt the ground beneath him shrinking. He could take it no more.

Adi shook his head hard to clear his wayward mind that was wreaking havoc on him, replaying those instances from his life that he had shut away - far away in the depths of his heart and only this place held the key to unlock them. At a time when he felt utterly lost and wondered where he belonged, this had become his true home. A place where he had learned to pick up the pieces of his life again and sew them back together. Or rather she had sewn them for him but now those stiches had come undone ripping him apart in the worst possible manner. A person always looked back in time to seek some respite from their happy memories but in Adi's case they made him more bitter. He never wanted to go down the lane that would lead him to her, ever. But in a bid to evade it, he could not shirk away from the responsibilities he was bound to. And if he had to face his demons in the process, he would.

6 years ago: Little Homes Orphanage, Mumbai

"WHOOSH!!!!!!!!!"

Zoya did not remember for how long she had been sitting on the wooden bench, lost in her own thoughts when she was shaken out of her reverie by a paper plane that cut through her vision. She blinked her eyes once before looking at the boy smiling in front of her holding it out to her.

"Didi, bhaiyya asked me to give you this," he said dropping it on her lap and pointed in the direction where a large crowd had gathered around her husband. Zoya ruffled the boy's hair once before he ran away to join his friends. She unfolded the paper plane where a smiley had been drawn for her. She looked up and saw Adi perform a magic trick as the children cheered him. He caught her eye and waved at her, motioning her to come over. She forced a small smile but gestured him to carry on telling him she was fine and gave him a thumbs up. He looked disheartened but let her be. Zoya however felt a pang of sorrow pierce her heart and she wished he would stop trying. It hurt her to see him try so hard just to make her happy when she was unable to even reciprocate. She wanted to but she just didn't know how.

They left the orphanage a while later and Zoya was silent throughout the car ride, looking outside the window. Adi tried to strike a conversation but then thought the better of it. Zoya didn't realize Adi had taken a detour until he brought the car to a halt opposite Ramada Plaza.

"Adi why are we getting off here?" she asked him puzzled.

"Well, just felt like enjoying the sunset today at the beach. But I guess I should have asked you first. I hope it's fine but if you don't feel like it, we can still..." he trailed off and sensing the reluctance in his voice, she felt guilty. Where once there had been no room for hesitation in their relationship before, Adi was now being very cautious around her and she was aware that she was responsible for putting this distance between them. Adi however had never protested and deep down she knew he was hurt too. He had given her, her space without saying a word and it was only fair she tried to keep things as normal as possible from her side too.

"If that's what you want, then that's where we will go," she told him placing a hand over his that was on the steering wheel, giving him a reassuring look.

They walked over to Juhu, one of the beaches located in the suburbs of Mumbai which was always crowded courtesy being a tourist attraction. There were tourists enjoying snacks bought from the stalls in the chowpatty along with fitness enthusiasts jogging along the shore and children making sand castles as their parents kept a close watch on them. Zoya observed them in silence as they made their way towards the shore.

Watching the sunset from the beach was always a mesmerizing sight. It was sheer bliss to see the beautiful amalgamation of colors in the evening sky and the endless water body that stretched into oblivion with the sun setting along the horizon. Adi slowly brushed his fingers against hers and when she didn't pull back he folded them gently over hers. Till that moment, she hadn't realized how much she had missed this as she felt the warmth of his fingers spread through her. And the sand under her feet felt soothing with each step she took. When the cold water lashed against her feet, she found herself relaxing against her will and leaned into his shoulder as he put an arm around her. She closed her eyes savoring the feel of his embrace. After what seemed like an eternity, she felt a sense of tranquility take over her and she wished time would stand still for once.

"Adi! Zoya!" they heard a familiar voice call out to them. They turned around to see their friend Pooja waving as she approached them, followed closely by her boyfriend Yash. Pooja engulfed both of them in a bear hug while Yash shook hands with Adi and greeted Zoya. They chatted for a while before Pooja interrupted them suggesting they grab something to eat first.

"Cool," Adi replied enthusiastically. "Nothing like a pav bhaji to wind up your evening. Zo, your favorite dosa?" he asked her.

Zoya had no appetite but she decided to go along with it knowing it would mean something to Adi. After a long while they had been out together and she did not wish to spoil his mood.

"With..."

"Only tomato chutney and no sambhar," he completed the sentence for her as she smiled inclining her head in a nod.

"Yash how about you?"

"No Aditya, I am good. Thanks!" he politely declined as his girlfriend rolled her eyes at him.

"I swear Yash, your taste buds could do with some TLC," she said annoyed at his blatant dislike for street food.

"Anyways Adi I'll come with you," she volunteered and joined Adi to fetch the snacks. Once they were out of earshot, her tone took on a serious note, her earlier cheerful banter forgotten.

"Adi I have been meaning to talk to you from a long time," she said turning around to see Yash engage Zoya in a conversation. "How is she doing?"

Adi sighed. The elephant in the room had resurfaced! But there was no point pretending in front of his best friend.

"Not so good Poo and I wish I knew how to set things right," he said with a haunted look in his eyes. All these days he had been trying very hard to hold it all together so that Zoya could not see how this ordeal had affected him. It had not been easy for Adi to go about doing things that brought some normalcy back in their lives but yet he never stopped trying. Even today he had brought Zoya out only to cheer her up a bit.

"I have tried everything Poo. Ammi tried to talk to her as well and I also asked Noor to come over and spend some time with her. And it's not like she is not trying. I can see that she is trying hard to be normal around us but then there are times when she shuts herself out. I wish I could reach out to her but..." he exhaled, running a hand through his hair. She had never seen Adi feel so helpless before and she wished she could do something, anything to take his pain away.

"I wonder if this was my fault! Maybe we should..."

"Adi, stop! Don't do this to yourself," she tried to console him.

"I don't know Poo..."

"It's not your fault. Do you hear me?" she said firmly looking into his eyes.

"Zoya needs to deal with this herself. There is only so much one can do for her, including you and you have to accept that! Give her some time. She will come around eventually," she assured him. Adi didn't say a word but he hoped she was right. They headed to the stall and placed their orders.

When they headed back with the food, a pleasant sight greeted them. Zoya had a huge smile plastered on her face as she chatted with Yash and she seemed genuinely happy about something. Pooja was the first to note this change in Zoya and she nudged Adi in the shoulder pointing him in the direction of Yash and Zoya. Adi was taken aback to see the shift in his wife's attitude and although he felt relieved, deep down he also felt a twinge of jealousy. For the first time in many days, Zoya looked happy but it was not because of him.

Present Day: Dehradun, Siddiqui Mansion

"I have to admit, I never thought I would see you here beta but I am glad you came!"

Roshnaq sat across from Adi on the sofa and smiled at him. That was when Adi saw that his mother in law had aged drastically in the last couple of days. She looked frail and along with age, even her worries had taken a toll on her health. And he had a fair idea about what was bothering her. This made him feel more guilty. He should have been there for her when she needed him.

"Am sorry Ammi. I should have come sooner," he said, his words laced with a simple honesty which Roshnaq knew too well. Her son in law never knew how to mince words and he never hid behind a pretense.

For a while neither of them spoke, sipping the tea served by the house help.

"It's all right Adi! I understand why you chose to stay away," Roshnaq said breaking the silence and placed the cup on the table.

"But how does it make things any better Ammi? Doesn't set them right and it certainly doesn't change the fact that I walked away from my responsibilities," he replied looking away. Roshnaq realized what or rather who Adi was referring to.

"Arjun and Noor... I owe them so much but I know I have wronged them too. I have been so selfish. I never realized I robbed them of their happiness. It was their time in the sun. They were barely married when Z..." Adi could not complete his sentence. All these years he had made a conscious effort never to say her name out loud but if his silence veiled his turmoil, his eyes betrayed him and Roshnaq had always seen through his mask. She had always been the closest thing to a mother in his life and if there was anyone before whom he let down his walls, it was her. She wanted to reach out and comfort him but she held back since this was the first time in years he had brought this topic up, speaking his heart out.

"They took on Aliya's responsibility at a time when they should have been enjoying their marital bliss. It made it easy for me to pretend none of that happened. Pretend my child never existed and allow them to raise her. I wonder what does that make me," he asked her and Roshnaq could sense a hint of revulsion in his words.

"A person who was broken from within and a broken man could never have given Aliya the love and care she needed," Roshnaq answered with a sympathetic look in her eyes.

"Yes, your daughter needed you Adi but you needed Arjun and Noor. I am not trying to relieve you of your guilt but sometimes we can't do everything on our own and we have to accept that," Roshnaq said in a gentle voice.

"When Anjana died, you were a child yourself. No older than ten but yet you took care of Arjun after Harsh walked out on your family. Your dadi did all she could while she was alive but it was you who took Arjun's responsibility and he is the man he is today because of you. You stood strong for your brother that day and now he is doing that for you," she added and reaching out to him she took his hand in hers, squeezing it once before she let go.

"Turning your back on your own child for whatever reason you had can never be justified Adi but Noor tells me you are taking a keen interest in your daughter's life these days. I am happy that you are making a conscious effort to set things right."

"I don't know Ammi," Adi replied shrugging his shoulders.

"I don't know if you can call it that. All I know is that one part of me felt guilty and the other wanted to run away. It's like a constant tug of war and honestly I am tired of it. Not sure if I am trying to set anything right but I am only going with the flow for now."

"Adi have you realized that you have been running away from your daughter because you believe she reminds you of her mother?" Roshnaq said fixing him with a piercing gaze. When Adi averted his gaze, she did not need him to affirm her theory. She had gotten her answer.

"I only wish you had observed that child more closely, Adi. You would have known then that she is more like you than Zoya."

At that, Adi looked up puzzled at the revelation. Roshnaq smiled seeing the confused look on his face.

"You have probably forgotten the small boy you were back when your mother was alive Adi but I remember. Have you noticed that Aliya has a giving nature but never expects anything in return? Not even love? She knows to love unconditionally and where do you think she gets this from?" she asked him with a twinkle in her eyes.

"Don't let your past overshadow your present, Adi. You need to..."

"Then why are you holding onto it Ammi?" Adi interrupted.

"Ammi you are asking me to move on but have you moved on yourself? You want all of us to believe you don't care but you are hurting over it, he told her," his voice brimming with concern which did not go unnoticed by his mother in law. When she advised Adi she had not realized that doing so, would bring the topic she wanted to avoid, back into focus. She had managed to evade it when Noor had broached it a couple of days ago but she could not do the same with Adi.

"Adi you are reading too much into the lines beta," she tried brushing the topic aside but Adi was not willing to let it go this time.

"You may deny it all you want Ammi, but truth is you are not able to let go of your anger for her because of me. You are torn between your love for your daughter and your anger for what she did to me. Don't do this to yourself Ammi," he pleaded her as tears brimmed in her eyes at the mention of her daughter. A daughter she had deliberately not acknowledged over the last four years.

"It wasn't just about you Adi. What Zoya did... her choice affected us all. Most of all, Aliya," she said tears now streaming down her face.

"It's not that I... I have tried Adi, I really did. I wish I could... maybe I would have accepted it even. Had she not chosen that herself," she added, her voice breaking.

"She made that choice for Aliya, Ammi," he told Roshnaq in a tone that betrayed no emotions but admitting this was not easy. It took him a great deal of effort to talk about this even but he still did with a hope it would help Roshnaq get a closure.

"And we have to accept that."

"Have you, Adi?"

5 years ago: Mumbai

"Have you decided anything?"

His question was met by a deafening silence.

"Zoya?"

Zoya leaned backwards into the headrest and closed her eyes, taking a deep breath to compose herself. A tear escaped her closed eyelid, streaming down her cheek.

"I don't know Yash... I can't..." she replied in a shaky voice.

Yash was well aware of the storm brewing in her mind but he also knew they were running short on time.

"Look Zoya," he deliberated choosing his next words carefully, "Aditya doesn't have to know and what he doesn't know will not hurt him."

Pooja surveyed the room once, mentally crossing the items off her checklist. The centerpiece, a celestial cutwork brass vase was adorned by white stargazers - Yash's favorite. She had prepared his favorite dishes and the food was laid out on the table as well. The soft glow of burning candles illuminated the dining room, filling it with a mild aroma of vanilla and lavender. She wanted it to be perfect. This would be a night to remember she promised herself and this time she would set things right.

Pooja and Yash had been in a live-in for the past four years and they had known each other for more than six years now. In the initial phase of their courtship both had agreed it would be a no strings attached relationship. Yash was aware that Pooja was still not over Adi, her best friend for whom she harbored a one sided love and he had given her the space she needed. He hoped with time she would move on and probably embrace a future with him and with this hope he had proposed to her a year ago. But Pooja had turned him down telling him she was not ready yet and though heartbroken himself, he accepted her decision. Pooja's mother was disappointed in her for not making an attempt to move on. Everyone around her assumed she still pined for Adi but the truth was far from it. She had long since gotten over her feelings for Adi and though she did love Yash in her own way, she was not sure if it was enough. And off late, despite sharing a roof, they had grown distant, partly due to their busy lifestyles and partly due to her own guilt for not being able to give in to the relationship. She knew it was only reasonable for Yash to expect some commitment from her after being with her for more than six years now.

Pooja decided that it was time she took matters into her hands and planned a surprise dinner date for him. She gave her reflection a one over. She looked stunning, dressed in a burgundy one shoulder chiffon dress with subtle make up and hairs left open in soft curls. She straightened her dress for what felt like the hundredth time and checked her watch. As if on cue the doorbell rang and sure enough it was Yash. She almost ran to get the door.

"Hey honey!" she greeted him breathlessly and gave him a light peck on his lips. If Yash was surprised by this gesture, he didn't show it.

"You look gorgeous by the way. Are you going out?" he asked her puzzled appraising her and stepped inside.

"Where are you... whoa!" he exclaimed taking in the ambience.

"You like it?" she asked him with nervous anticipation.

"It's... ummm... wow!" he replied in a confused tone. Pooja had painstakingly set up the whole thing and on any other day he would have appreciated the efforts she had put in but today clearly his mind was elsewhere. While having their dinner, he barely spoke even as Pooja tried to engage him in a conversation but he was only half listening giving a non-committal response now and then. He doodled absentmindedly on his plate with the fork and vaguely he could hear someone calling his name as if from a distance.

"Yash! Yash?"

"Huh?" he snapped when he felt a gentle pat on his arm.

"Yash is everything OK?" Pooja asked worried for him. She could notice something was clearly bothering him. He had barely spoken a word and his food lay as is on the plate.

"I am so sorry Pooja," he muttered rubbing his tired eyes.

"What happened Yash? You know you can tell me about it," she said soothingly, placing her hand over his.

Yash knew he could confide in Pooja but he could not bring himself to. He was well aware of the consequences of what he was doing and it bothered him even more now. Especially when Pooja was making a sincere effort to set things right between them and he could not even be honest with her despite knowing that this would one day cause a rift between them.

"Nothing," he lied unable to meet her eyes.

"I think... ummm... I'm... I'm tired. Just had a long day," he murmured and retired to his study without saying anything further. He felt a pang of guilt punch him in the gut as he caught Pooja's reflection in the mirror on his way out. Her crestfallen look said it all and he hated himself more because he knew she would blame herself for it even though she was not at fault. It was he who had put the distance between them this time.

Yash tried to distract himself by reading a book but try as he might his tumultuous mind kept wandering back to what happened earlier in the day. He didn't realize when sleep took over and he dozed off on the recliner clutching the book. He was woken by the sharp ringing tone of his phone in the early hours of the morning. He answered it without bothering to check who was calling him. But upon hearing the voice on the other end, he sat up fully alert and listened intently.

He frowned.

"This doesn't make any sense. Look, if you need more time then take it but don't make a hasty decision," he tried to reason even though somewhere deep down he knew it was futile.

He remained silent for a minute.

"Does he know?" he asked emphasizing on the 'he' part.

"What Adi doesn't know will not hurt him," he heard Zoya say with an air of finality and he knew now there was nothing he could do that would change her mind.

Present Day: Hooda Penthouse, Mumbai

"As the genie set off to explore the world, Aladdin married the princess and they both lived happily ever after."

Aditya finished reading the story to Aliya who had listened to every word of his earnestly. Today it was Adi's turn to do babysitting since Arjun and Noor were attending a wedding anniversary of one of Arjun's firm partners. As a part of Aliya's bedtime routine he read her a story before putting her to sleep. Generally Aliya would fall asleep while listening to a story but Aladdin being her favorite, she was wide awake tonight, a wild gleam of excitement shining in her eyes.

"OK, that's it! Go to sleep now," her told her firmly making her lie on her pillow and covered her with the blanket. But Aliya was in no mood to relent. She pushed the blanket off her and sat up straight as her father scowled.

"What is it now?" he asked her warily.

"Pa where can I find a genie? If I make a wish will he give me what I ask?" she asked him eagerly.

Adi rolled his eyes in exasperation.

"No Aliya, you won't find a genie and no, there is no magic that will make your wish come true. Now go to bed," he told her sternly but Aliya was not willing to drop the topic.

"But chachi tells me mumma believed in making a wish," she persisted. "Mumma used to pray and ask for a wish.

Adi stiffened at the mention of Zoya. This was the first time Aliya had ever spoken about her mother in his presence.

"Tell me na Pa? If I also pray in durgah like mumma and tie the thread, will God give me my wish?" she asked him, her voice brimming with innocence and hope.

His daughter bore an uncanny resemblance to her mother not just in her looks but also happened to share her beliefs which he had mocked several times in the past.

"That's a lie Aliya," he told her flatly and made his way to the door.

"Have you made a wish?" Aliya asked him making him stop in his tracks.

"No," he replied grimacing at the very thought of having to make one.

"Then you can't say it won't come true," she countered happily while Adi stood rooted to his spot as a distant memory resurfaced to his mind.

19 years ago: Dehradun

"If you have not tried something, you can't say it doesn't work Adi," Zoya snapped at him as they made their way back home from the durgah.

"Come off it Zoya," he scoffed. "You actually think this thing works?"

Zoya pointedly ignored him and continued to walk.

"For how long have you been coming here? Since you were five? And how many wishes you have made and out of them, how many came true?" he challenged her but she remained silent.

"Oh! So this means you don't even keep a track of it?" he goaded her as she rounded on him and threw him a dirty look.

"Of course I do," she retorted. "I have only made one wish all this while and I am sure it will come true someday."

Adi guffawed.

"So you are telling me you wasted a good decade asking for one wish all this while and it's still unfulfilled? Yet you keep coming back?"

"Laugh all you want Aditya Hooda but mark my words. Allah will surely grant me my wish one day and that day, you yourself will untie the mannat ka dhaga for me!"

Back to Present

"Did mumma get her wish?"

Adi remained silent pondering over a memory from his past as his daughter continued to badger him with her innocent questions.

"Is mumma happy now?"

"I don't know Aliya," he replied, his voice devoid of any emotions.

"Are you angry on her?" she now asked in a low voice, catching him off guard. He turned around and noticed she seemed nervous to ask him this but somehow she had mustered the courage to do so.

"Why would you say that?" he asked her curiously wondering what more did his daughter knew about his wife.

"Chachu and chachi told me I should never talk about mumma with you. Are you katti(mad) with her?"

Adi sighed.

"It's late Aliya. You should go to bed."

With that he quietly slipped out of her room pulling the door with him.

5 years ago: Hooda Penthouse, Mumbai

Adi closed the door behind him. It was well into midnight and all he sought after an ultra-long haul flight was the comfort of his bed when he noticed the lights were still on in the study.

Must be Arjun he thought and sure enough it was his younger brother who had been chatting with Noor on skype.  

"Hey bhai, when did you arrive? I didn't hear you come in," Arjun said when Noor shouted a hello from the other end of the call.

"Not surprised chhote! When your girlfriend happens to be the only thing on your mind, you won't care about anything else," he teased him crouching down to be eye level with the screen of Arjun's laptop.

"Hey Noor!" he waved at her. "How is my saali sahiba doing?"

"Never better bhaiyya," Noor chirped with a broad grin plastered on her face. "By the way, you got one thing wrong," she added and from the sound of her voice it felt she like bursting with excitement to share something big.

"I am not his girlfriend anymore," she declared happily while Arjun was smiling from ear to ear. Adi looked from Noor to Arjun, confusion written all over his face. He hoped this was not another one of their tiffs but they both appeared to be cheerful.

After a moment Noor lifted her left hand and holding it upright close to her face wriggled her fingers at Adi. And there it was glinting away to glory on her ring finger - a golden band encasing a tiny diamond.

"We are engaged bhaiyya! Arjun proposed to me yesterday," Noor squealed.

For a moment Adi was too stunned to react and when the news finally seeped in, he gave his younger brother a bear hug.

"Wow! That's wonderful news. I am so happy for both of you," Adi said ecstatically and congratulated them both.

"Ummm... bhaiyaa?" Noor quipped nervously. "Please don't mention this to appi. We are yet to break the news to her."

Adi was surprised to hear this this.

"Zoya doesn't know?" he asked them to which Arjun shook his head.

"We wanted to tell her bhai but di was a little tired today. She went to bed earlier than usual but we will tell her first thing tomorrow morning," Arjun replied.

"Tired? Is she alright?" Adi asked Arjun, sounding a little worried. Now that Arjun had mentioned it, he recollected sensing something was off with his wife when he spoke to her in the morning over a call.

"Not sure bhai but it looked like she was upset," Arjun said tentatively but added, "It could be my imagination as well bhai. Maybe she was tired after all."

Adi said nothing for a while, lost in his own thoughts. He hoped Zoya was not pondering over that matter again. He decided to keep it aside for now for the sake of Arjun and Noor who were celebrating their new found joy. Congratulating them once again he left from there and went straight to his bedroom.

Zoya was sleeping to the side, curled up in a fetal position. As he changed into his tracks he observed she was tossing and turning uneasily in her sleep. When he slipped in beside her a moment later, he saw her forehead was creased and she seemed restless even in her sleep. She mumbled something incoherent which Adi could not catch. Still asleep she frowned as a lock of her hair fell over her face, the tendrils causing her slight discomfort. Adi gently pushed them back her ear and as his fingers brushed lightly against her forehead, the creases smoothened out, his soothing touch putting her at ease. As she snuggled closer he encased her in his arms and kissed the top of her head. Once cocooned in his warm embrace Zoya relaxed and a while later as his eyelids drooped, Adi too gave in to exhaustion drifting off to a sound sleep.

Adi woke up to the shrill sound of his 5 AM alarm. Groggily he turned it off and dragged his feet to the washroom. The splash of cold water on his face took away the last dregs of sleep along with it and he was pumped to kickstart his day with a zeal of energy. He threw on a jacket and wore his running shoes. Zoya was still fast asleep when he closed the door of their bedroom behind him. Once on the road he broke into a sprint, the adrenaline propelling him forward. The darkness lifted slowly, unveiling a bright sunny morning and the cool morning breeze helped clear his mind. He jogged for about an hour and half and headed back home. Arjun was still in his bed courtesy his snores which could be heard in the living room. Shaking his head, he hoped Noor was a sound sleeper for her own sake. He dashed upstairs to find the bed empty which meant Zoya was already up. After taking a shower, he changed into a fresh set of clothes Zoya had laid out for him. As he got ready he noticed a parcel lying on the table addressed to him. He had been awaiting this for days and finally it had arrived and he was glad Zoya hadn't gotten around to unwrapping it else his surprise would have gone down the drain. Adi opened the package to check the item which was an intricate mirror work saree that Zoya had fallen in love with while browsing an online store. He ran his hand along the smooth fabric and a second later winced.

"Aww!"

His thumb had grazed the shards of a broken mirror adorning the border of the saree. Keeping it carefully aside, he opened the drawer to nurse his bleeding thumb. When he reached out for the first aid kit, he observed an envelope bearing the hospital logo addressed to Zoya. Curious, he picked it instead and opened the letter inside. He stood rooted to his spot as he read the report and blinked his eyes several times to make sure he had got it right.

"Adi, what's taking you so..."

Zoya froze at the foot of the door, all color drained off from her face as she saw the report in Adi's hand.

"Adi I..." she began nervously but Adi shushed her.

"Why didn't you tell me?"

Adi looked like someone had hit him with a hammer on his head.

"Adi I wanted to tell you about this... but there is something you have to know..." Zoya fumbled but Adi was not listening. His expression turned from shock to undiluted joy and the next instant he rushed forward and scooped her in his arms as the report slid to the ground.

"We are pregnant!" he whopped.

"Adi..."

"I can't tell you what this means Zo," he exclaimed with tears in his eyes as he placed her gently on the ground. Any words she was planning to say died in her throat when she saw the naked happiness sparkle in his eyes.

Instead she asked, "are you happy Adi?"

"Happy? This is the happiest I have ever been Zo and thank you," he replied hugging her. Zoya's eyes flew to the blood stained report that lay on the floor behind Adi and she bit her lip hard to stop herself from uttering a cry but tears streamed down her face nevertheless.

Edited by BeyondHorizon - 5 years ago
sezo thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
Thanks for pm as always 
Wow so much happened.
It feels like ages since last read this story.
Plz do try and update once a week if possible the reader in me doesnt like waiting. Anyways you know I will always wait.

I am so curious about zoya you give amazing suspense that my mind goes in over drive thinking why zoya why...

I feel sorry for adi but at same time I feel more sorry for zoya but don't know why as reading this chapters feels like she is in the wrong but I'm sure there will be a reason for it. As I can't see zoya being selfish person.

I won't write anymore on watch think as will go on forever.

It's a wonderful story and you are one of the best writers here do plz do update regularly when you have time.
Tyshal thumbnail
Anniversary 5 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Hey dear!! From 17th December I have waited for this each n every day. It worth it. 
This is the story about father nd daughter relationship..Nd that's why I love it...So I'm going to wait for it, nd for zoya pov. 

Loved the convo between adi nd roshnaq❀️
So Yash knows everything. If adi WD have ever tried,he could get to know about what made zoya to take that harsh decision.

Let me have a vague idea..:p..Is it related to pregnancy? 

And adi. ..He has just torn between his past nd present😭
He did react in the same way his mother did to him nd arjun...Broken nd then left. But luckily adi had a good support system...Arjun nd Noor. Arjun...To whom he made strong enough emotionally.
The way you react towards people, towards life...This all depends on your upbringing. The bitter memories of childhood..The scars on the heart which is so fragile to handle all setbacks...It is very hard to get out of it. The bitter memories of childhood haunts u whole the life nd then...More or less...Affects your decisions...sometimes the important decisions of your life.
Loved the update.Nd thanks for pm.😳
plmzaq thumbnail
Anniversary 7 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Awesome update
Love it
Beautifully written 
Continue soon
Thanks for pm
Anuva714 thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail
Awesome update... curious to read it more... his childhood remebrance are sad... the way you are writing is too good... i really loved it... Arjun and Noor are so supportive to Adi... sad to see Adi like this... he can't forget anything completely... Aliya is cute angel... As Adi thinking she is more like Zoya... He should spend more time with her... she is longing for his love... i know, you already said don't guess anything about Zoya,that is irrelevant... but i can't stop myself from thinking about it that Zoya is died... sorry for my guess... lovely chapter... thanks for pmEdited by Anuva714 - 5 years ago
Kkafunda thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Thanks for the pm Mandy. I shall tell you how I liked when I finish it.
Ayraa-MK thumbnail
lovely Chap, God this Zoya is sounding so depressed, i just hope she is not cheating on Adi with Yash...
am blank to predit anything,,,plz update jaldi jaldi, waiting dear :)