Rituals in Muslim Weddings

peeyara thumbnail
Posted: 6 years ago
Hi! First post here😳
I,myself, is a muslim
According Quran, Muslim weddings have only 2 functions-Nikah(Wedding) and Valima(Reception) but we do have different other functions(rituals)
I am intrigued by the different rituals performed across world in Muslim Weddings
Like,in the show, lal khat ritual was shown but we dont hv any such ritual
Engagement, haldi,mehendi,nikah,valima thats it
So if this forum have muslim members, drop in and share diff rituals performed at your end😳

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

awida thumbnail
Jimmy Jab Games Season 4 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 10 Thumbnail + 7
Welcome to the forums .🤗
I am a muslim from Yemen. 

Yes. that laal khat part was strange. in fact girls' parents don't go to boys' parents. they stay at their house. the guy and his parents come , ask for a girls hand, the guy can see her once. if r and her family agreed then they call it Khitba (mangni) there are no functions for mangni, or exchanging rings. the guy and his fiancee can't meet before their nikah. also a muslim guy can't wear gold. 

We have different rituals here, like hinna (mehndi) for women. and for men seperately. nikah, and zifaf (rukhsati) next day walima and reseption . men and women have seperated functions , coz muslims are forbidden from ikhtilat ( sociality). 
peeyara thumbnail

Originally posted by: awida

Welcome to the forums .🤗

Yes. that laal khat part was strange. in fact girls' parents don't go to boys' parents. they stay at their house. the guy and his parents come , ask for a girls hand, the guy can see her once. if r and her family agreed then they call it Khitba (mangni) there are no functions for mangni, or exchanging rings. the guy and his fiancee can't meet before their nikah. also a muslim guy can't wear gold. 

We have different rituals here, like hinna (mehndi) for women. and for men seperately. nikah, and zifaf (rukhsati) next day walima and reseption . men and women have seperated functions , coz muslims are forbidden from ikhtilat ( sociality). 

same here in Hyderabad,India
Boy's family visits girl's home not viceversa
Here Nikah n Rukhsati happen same night and men n women seperately not in same room😆
PS: thanks for welcome :)
light_year thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: awida

Welcome to the forums .🤗

Ikhtilat .. most Indian subcontinent Muslims May not even be aware of this word. I myself came to know recently.i doubt my own family members May b aware of this word... 

Anyways we are South Indians. Basically mehdi shadi (nikha) , walima and samdi Khana both sides ( close relatives of bride seeing the grooms house and viceversa) 
Sofna thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 3
Same here muslim from UK - grooms family coming to see the bride after  both parties are satisfied and want to go ahead so the couple are allowed to speak with a 3Rd (mahram for the female) present, then nikah and walima are the two main functions, obviously we apply mehendi but not as a function or anything. 
This is a drama ALL theses functions will be appearing out of thin air🤣