Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Marathi_Mulgi thumbnail
Posted: 6 years ago

Originally posted by: MaddyO

I just can't imagine Ashish as Bajirao.  He doesn't fit character physically.  Remember Balaji portrait Abhay had shared?  Bajirao would be similar looking, to put in Marathi - gora ghara πŸ˜†

lolz ranveer can play bajirao then y not ashish
where he is gora gharaπŸ˜†πŸ˜†πŸ˜†
so he can play then any can🀣 only he had to be good actor gori aate ki bori without acting whts of use

history_geek thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 5

Kashi Bai, Mahadaji Joshi and Bajirao, Balaji

It seems Kashi Bai is going to enter soon. The man Mahadji Joshi, shown (talked about) in today's episode, was her father and a very rich banker of that time. Along with him, Shahu ji was supported by a Brahmin priest named Gadhadhar Nasikar.

The next man of repute who joined him was Parsoji Bhonsle, the ancestor of the later Bhonsle rulers of Nagpur. Along with these, the youths of Purandare and Bokil clans, started to join the camp of Shahu ji.

The common folks, when they came to know of release of Shahu ji, rushed to get a glimpse of their beloved prince, for whom they had great regard due to a long suffering in captivity.

Mahadji was a wealthy sahukar (moneylender) as well as the subedar of the Maratha empire in Kalyan, a factor which played a strong role in the alliance of Bajirao and Kashibai. They were married in 1710-11, when Bajirao was 10 years and Kashibai, only eight.

Shahu ji appointed the father of KashiBai as his treasurer. Dhanaji Jadhav died in 1708. Parsoji Bhonsle died in 1709. So, Shahu ji was left with 2 men of repute - Bajirao's father Balaji and Kashi Bai's father Mahadaji.

In between all this, Balaji also joined hands with Rajas Bai to overthrow Tara Bai. The important nobles of Kolhapur supported Rajas Bai, and when Balaji also teamed up with Rajas Bai, the support grew more strong.

Had there been no Balaji, there would not have been Shahu ji. He stood like a rock. They years from 1708 to 1713 (when he became Peshwa) were very busy for Balaji. One desertion after another and one war after another, Balaji and Balaji alone handled everything.

Bhiu Bai was married in the same year as the marriage of Bajirao and Kashi Bai in 1710. And, their sister, Anu Bai, the favorite of the Peshwa family will enter soon.

Lot is to happen. Looking forward to the upcoming episodes.

Note :

1. I have already written about how Balaji and Dhanaji joined Shahuji. The makers skipped showing lot of drama, but you can read the entire story here.
https://www.indiaforums.com/forum/post/140775833

2. We had discussed about death of Aurangzeb, and the struggle between his sons Azam and Kambaksh here. https://www.indiaforums.com/forum/post/140246854

3. The links of all the important topics discussed inside this thread can be found here.
https://www.indiaforums.com/forum/post/139854215

history_geek thumbnail

Abhay, I remembered reading this entire poem almost 2 years back!  Don't remember where you had post those threads.

I really hope the Kashi we got to see is not how she will be shown in PB!  In house vamp against Bajirao Mastani!  How poor Bajirao was driven to Mastani due to a selfish shrew of a wife!  

I didn't like that actor playing Kashi.  Not interested in watching this Kashi's wedding with Baji.

Abhay hope IF come up with Android app soon and you post lot more. πŸ˜ƒ

Nothing of that sort is going to happen, Maddy. With the leap going to happen soon, i think they will show the wedding of the young Kashi and Bajirao. After that, we will see the adult Bajirao and Kashi Bai straight away. Mastani is no where in sight.

Hope to see an IF app too. I had mentioned that long poem on Ahilya Bai Holkar in one of my JA threads, long back, in 2014. Glad, that you still remember.

MaddyO thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: history_geek

Nothing of that sort is going to happen, Maddy. With the leap going to happen soon, i think they will show the wedding of the young Kashi and Bajirao. After that, we will see the adult Bajirao and Kashi Bai straight away. Mastani is no where in sight.

Hope to see an IF app too. I had mentioned that long poem on Ahilya Bai Holkar in one of my JA threads, long back, in 2014. Glad, that you still remember.

Lol I remember lot of your wonderful posts Abhay, historical and others πŸ˜†

Already showed that annoying Kashi in precap.  I don't like this Kashi actor and they are shaping her character very irritating.  I hope it is just due to this Kashi actor and post leap adult Kashi is better in all aspects.

I am not looking forward to young Baji Kashi wedding.

I wish they had devoted more time to show post Shahuraje release developments, they are so interesting.

What do think about post leap cast?
I like Chimanaji Nasir but have doubts about new Baji.
Anuja Sathe will be missed and all the wonderful child actors.  Bhiu is a special favorite of mine.

Marathi_Mulgi thumbnail
thanks for details about kashibai 
and all things links given
i had too read that they got married at 11 n 8 ages
they had shown very stubborn kashi but she was quiet n soft spoken
and pampered by family and foundly called as "Laadubai"
giving details found in one article

Edited by Marathi_Mulgi - 6 years ago
Marathi_Mulgi thumbnail

Already showed that annoying Kashi in precap.  I don't like this Kashi actor and they are shaping her character very irritating.  I hope it is just due to this Kashi actor and post leap adult Kashi is better in all aspects.

I wish they had devoted more time to show post Shahuraje release developments, they are so interesting.

Anuja Sathe will be missed and all the wonderful child actors.  Bhiu is a special favorite of mine.

they had to show their wedding as it happend in that age

din't like any actors post leap only saurab is ok
vishal had very good replacement for leap as akbar in mp

thought cgm trio (malhar-rushiraj, manjishji-balaji, shahuji) is there then ashish would be enter as baji !  or else expecting some marathi actor! 

and like in prc kamlavati mom of prithvi changed here also radhabai gona change 
Edited by Marathi_Mulgi - 6 years ago
Nonie12345 thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
Amazing posts Abhay😊
history_geek thumbnail

Originally posted by: Marathi_Mulgi

thanks for details about kashibai 

and all things links given
i had too read that they got married at 11 n 8 ages
they had shown very stubborn kashi but she was quiet n soft spoken
and pampered by family and foundly called as "Laadubai"
giving details found in one article

Thanks for sharing this beautiful snippet. I remember saving 4-5 pictures of this village from where Kashi Bai belonged. Will search. The entrance door of this village is quite grand, though the place itself lies in obscurity.

I am pasting the article you shared, here also. :)

https://indianexpress.com/article/lifestyle/life-style/kashibai-the-first-lady/

Built on Kashibai's suggestion, Someshwar Temple stands tall. Its speciality is a tall structure called the Deepmala, upon which 256 diyas can be placed at a time. (Express photo by Arul Horizon)

Sprinkled with small houses on either side of the narrow lanes, Chaaskaman paints an idyllic village scene " a farmer working his land with his pair of bulls; a shepherd and his flock of sheep; girls at a handpump busy filling water. However, the village, which is situated 70 km away from Pune, houses a structure in the heart of the village that stands out not only because of its impressive size but also the history associated with it. This is where Kashibai, the first wife of Bajirao Peshwa I, was born and raised. While Sanjay Leela Bhansali's recent release, Bajirao Mastani, explores the lesser-known love story of the Marathi warrior, a longer look into history reveals that there was more to Kashibai, other than being a devoted wife who struggled to accept her husband's relationship with Mastani.

Kashibai's father, Mahadji Krishna Joshi, was originally from Talsure village in Ratnagiri and later shifted to Chaaskaman. The descendants of Kashibai's brother, Krushnarao Joshi, still live in this village in the 300-year-old fort-like haveli where Kashibai was born. Weather-beaten in some places, the old massive house still stands strong.

Lakshmikant Chaskar Joshi, from 11th generation descendant of Krushnarao, says that once an owner of 300 acres of land, Mahadji was a wealthy sahukar (moneylender) as well as the subedar of the Maratha empire in Kalyan, a factor which he claims, played a strong role in the alliance of Bajirao and Kashibai. They were married in 1711, when Bajirao was 11 years and Kashibai, only eight.

The haveli in Chaaskaman, built in the wada style, is spread across nearly two acres and still has the delivery room where Kashibai, fondly called Laadubai, was born. "The newborn and the mother stayed in the same room for four months to keep away from infection," says Smita Chaskar Joshi, the younger daughter-in-law of the Joshi family. Today, the delivery room is used as a store room.

Every weekend, the house and family is visited by tourists who are keen to see Bajirao's sasural. A book, Sahali Ek Divasyachya Parisaraat Punyachya, by PK Ghanekar, that acts as a travel guide for the places one can visit in and around Pune, lists the house as a tourist spot.

According to historian Pandurang Balkawade, Kashibai was quiet and soft-spoken. "Historical documents suggest that Bajirao treated her with love and respect. She was ready to accept Mastani but couldn't go against her mother-in-law Radhabai and brother-in-law Chimaji Appa. Besides, 18th century women did not have a say in important matters and Kashibai was no exception," he says.

Balkawade adds though the society of that era was male-dominated and sati-pratha was rampant, a few strong and talented women did step out of the house. "Women like Tarabai, Ahilyabai Holkar, Umabai Dabhade ruled and fought battles just like their male counterparts," he says.

Pune-based Mahendra Peshwa, the ninth descendant of Bajirao Peshwa, says, "Mostly, male members of the family were out on the battlefield. Kashibai controlled the day-to-day running of the empire, especially of Poona. And it was possible because of her social nature. After the death of Mastani, she made sure that her son, Shamsher Bahadur, got his initial weapon training at Shaniwarwada, and took care of his overall well-being."

Mahendra says that after the death of Bajirao, Kashibai immersed herself in religious activities. "When she returned from a pilgrimage to Rameshwar in July 1747, she suggested to her brother that a temple like the one in Rameshwar should be built in Chaaskamaan also. The brother instantly began the work on Laadubai's suggestion," he says. The temple was built in 1749.

Situated over a kilometre away from the haveli, the Someshwar Temple stands tall. Spread across an area of 1.5 acre, the specialty of the temple is a tall structure called the Deepmala, upon which 256 diyas can be placed at a time. "On Tripurari Poornima, the whole family visits the temple. The Deepmala and the entire temple is then lit up with diyas," says Swati Chaskar Joshi, the elder daughter-in-law.

history_geek thumbnail

The child artist playing Kashi is no more there. A new girl has entered. Hopefully, this would make you happy, Maddy.  Lol.

About the shaping of Kashi's character - It seems, she would be shown having respect for Peshwa family except Baji (in the start). I guess, they are doing this to maintain that banter between Baji and Kashi. And slowly in the influence of Radha Bai , she will develop maturity. Right now, they are kids and one can not expect them to behave like adults. So, lets see.

The current cast is superb. They all will be missed. I am enjoying the show these days, the only thing i am watching on TV.

About the cast post leap - I am looking forward to watch Karan Suchak as adult Bajirao. Saw him in Ramayana, in few episodes. He's a fine actor.

MaddyO thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: history_geek

Thanks for sharing this beautiful snippet. I remember saving 4-5 pictures of this village from where Kashi Bai belonged. Will search. The entrance door of this village is quite grand, though the place itself lies in obscurity.

I am pasting the article you shared, here also. :)

https://indianexpress.com/article/lifestyle/life-style/kashibai-the-first-lady/

Built on Kashibai's suggestion, Someshwar Temple stands tall. Its speciality is a tall structure called the Deepmala, upon which 256 diyas can be placed at a time. (Express photo by Arul Horizon)

Sprinkled with small houses on either side of the narrow lanes, Chaaskaman paints an idyllic village scene " a farmer working his land with his pair of bulls; a shepherd and his flock of sheep; girls at a handpump busy filling water. However, the village, which is situated 70 km away from Pune, houses a structure in the heart of the village that stands out not only because of its impressive size but also the history associated with it. This is where Kashibai, the first wife of Bajirao Peshwa I, was born and raised. While Sanjay Leela Bhansali's recent release, Bajirao Mastani, explores the lesser-known love story of the Marathi warrior, a longer look into history reveals that there was more to Kashibai, other than being a devoted wife who struggled to accept her husband's relationship with Mastani.

Kashibai's father, Mahadji Krishna Joshi, was originally from Talsure village in Ratnagiri and later shifted to Chaaskaman. The descendants of Kashibai's brother, Krushnarao Joshi, still live in this village in the 300-year-old fort-like haveli where Kashibai was born. Weather-beaten in some places, the old massive house still stands strong.

Lakshmikant Chaskar Joshi, from 11th generation descendant of Krushnarao, says that once an owner of 300 acres of land, Mahadji was a wealthy sahukar (moneylender) as well as the subedar of the Maratha empire in Kalyan, a factor which he claims, played a strong role in the alliance of Bajirao and Kashibai. They were married in 1711, when Bajirao was 11 years and Kashibai, only eight.

The haveli in Chaaskaman, built in the wada style, is spread across nearly two acres and still has the delivery room where Kashibai, fondly called Laadubai, was born. "The newborn and the mother stayed in the same room for four months to keep away from infection," says Smita Chaskar Joshi, the younger daughter-in-law of the Joshi family. Today, the delivery room is used as a store room.

Every weekend, the house and family is visited by tourists who are keen to see Bajirao's sasural. A book, Sahali Ek Divasyachya Parisaraat Punyachya, by PK Ghanekar, that acts as a travel guide for the places one can visit in and around Pune, lists the house as a tourist spot.

According to historian Pandurang Balkawade, Kashibai was quiet and soft-spoken. "Historical documents suggest that Bajirao treated her with love and respect. She was ready to accept Mastani but couldn't go against her mother-in-law Radhabai and brother-in-law Chimaji Appa. Besides, 18th century women did not have a say in important matters and Kashibai was no exception," he says.

Balkawade adds though the society of that era was male-dominated and sati-pratha was rampant, a few strong and talented women did step out of the house. "Women like Tarabai, Ahilyabai Holkar, Umabai Dabhade ruled and fought battles just like their male counterparts," he says.

Pune-based Mahendra Peshwa, the ninth descendant of Bajirao Peshwa, says, "Mostly, male members of the family were out on the battlefield. Kashibai controlled the day-to-day running of the empire, especially of Poona. And it was possible because of her social nature. After the death of Mastani, she made sure that her son, Shamsher Bahadur, got his initial weapon training at Shaniwarwada, and took care of his overall well-being."

Mahendra says that after the death of Bajirao, Kashibai immersed herself in religious activities. "When she returned from a pilgrimage to Rameshwar in July 1747, she suggested to her brother that a temple like the one in Rameshwar should be built in Chaaskamaan also. The brother instantly began the work on Laadubai's suggestion," he says. The temple was built in 1749.

Situated over a kilometre away from the haveli, the Someshwar Temple stands tall. Spread across an area of 1.5 acre, the specialty of the temple is a tall structure called the Deepmala, upon which 256 diyas can be placed at a time. "On Tripurari Poornima, the whole family visits the temple. The Deepmala and the entire temple is then lit up with diyas," says Swati Chaskar Joshi, the elder daughter-in-law.

Thanks for sharing Abhay πŸ˜ƒ

I hope cvs don't turn Kashi into vamp, as they seemed to be doing.  Kashibai character is very different in people's minds and she deserves the respect and dignity.  

Did you read they have replaced earlier Kashi πŸ˜ƒ. Good step, hope they charge the characterisation also.
Don't want to watch Kashi turned into vamp to justify Bajirao falling for Mastani.  Kashi vamp and Mastani everything anti-Kashi!

PS are you still watching PB?  Hardly see you on forum.  Miss your posts.