Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

The.Lannister thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 7
Posted: 7 years ago
Finally finished reading all the posts since I was last here. Phew! You guys are a treasure trove of information  

Sharing a map I found on TW:

What started as the dream & ambition of a bunch of kids...this is the Maratha Empire at its peak. 

RadhikaS0 thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2

Originally posted by: MaddyO

Radhika, you have raised some very interesting questions.  I will try to answer as per my knowledge of the history of that time.  I will probably go into lot more details than you have asked for!  Well you asked for the information! 😆

You might be surprised to know Shahaji Raje was the first one to start the Swarajya campaign even before Shivaji's birth.  However, Shahaji Raje was not successful and his resistance was defeated twice.  Once before Shivaji's birth and once after when Shahaji Raje fought Mugals first for Nijamshahi and then on his own for 2 years.  Jijabai was fully supportive of Swarajya movement of Shahaji Raje.  (All this is also shown in the Marathi serial Raja Shiv Chhatrapati)  Hindavi Swarajya was a cherished dream of both Shahaji Raje and Jijabai.

If you remember, I had made a thread about the circumstances prevailing at the time of Shivaji Maharaj's birth

Link here

https://www.indiaforums.com/forum/topic/4798700

Shahaji Raje had left Jijabai in the care of elder son Sambhaji's in-laws and Jijabai was at Shivneri fort where she gave birth to Shivaji.  Sambhaji their elder son had gone with Shahaji Raje.

Shahaji Raje visited Jijabai and infant Shivaji sometime after the birth, but he did not have steady life and so Jijabai Shivaji were kept on Shivneri only.

After Shahaji Raje got some stability he sent Dadoji Kondadev his trusted specially chosen man to take responsibility of Jijabai and Shivaji.  Shahaji Raje told them to shift to his jagir in Pune and it was Dadoji Kondadev who again reconstructed Pune newly (Pune was burnt down completely by Murar Jagdev).

When Jijabai, young Shivaji and Dadoji with some select men reached Pune, they had to live in tents at first.  A Ganapati Idol was found near river and a Temple was constructed which is Kasba Ganapati Temple the presiding deity of Pune even today.  During Ganapati Utsav Kasba Ganapati has the first right in the procession.

Lal Mahal - Shivaji's residence was constructed near Kasba Ganapati temple and surrounding that Pune was developed.  Dadoji started young Shivaji's teaching and he used to take him everywhere with him when he visited the interior Maharashtra.

In this time Shahaji Raje had married Tukabai and got another son Ekoji.  He was establishing himself in Bengaluru.

After Shivaji Sai marriage (which took place after Shahaji Raje gave his permission, he was supposed to attend but could not at the last min) Shahaji Raje sent for Jijabai Shivaji to go to Bengaluru.

The entire Bhosale family was reunited in Bengluru where Shivaji's marriage to Soyrabai took place on Tukabai's insistence.  Shivaji Raje used to go to darbar with Shahaji Raje.  Sambhaji Raje and Shivaji Raje got along very well, he used to call Sambhaji - Dada Maharaj.  Sambhaji was also a brave warrior and he was a poet also.  It is said he used to write poetry in Sanskrit!

However, even at such young age Shivaji Maharaj did not like the constrictive rigid formal atmosphere of Bengluru, he was raised in the free open atmosphere where he interacted freely with everybody, the mavlas and village folks.  He resented bowing to Adilshahi customs.  I think there were 2-3 instances where some minor incidents happened which led to Jijabai and Shivaji realizing they did not want to stay in Bengluru.

Jijabai did not want Shivaji to be raised under Adilshahi (Muslim) culture influence.  Shivaji was happier in Pune and so Shahaji and Jijabai decided to stay separately.  There was no acrimony, rather Shahaji Raje understaood Jijabai's concerns.  Shahaji Raje Jijabai both still held their Swarajya dream. 

It is said that Shahaji Raje said he will raise Sambhaji and she will raise Shivaji, let us see how they grow up.  Before leaving Bengluru, Shahaji Raje very generously bestowed the Pune jagir on young Shivaji.  Along with Dadoji Kondadev, some more prominent hand picked men like Shamrao Nilkanth, Balkrishna Dixit were entrusted with the responsibility of looking after Pune under Shivaji.

Shivaji Maharaj took oath of Swarjya at Rohideshwar Temple at the age of 15 on 15th April 1645.  He took Rohida, Torna, Kondhana (later named Sinhagad), Purandar forts and defeated Fattekhan in next 2-3 years.

Shahaji Raje was always in touch by letters, messages, emissaries and he was fully supportive.  He wanted Sambhaji to win over Karnataka and Shivaji Maharaj - Maharashtra.

Shahaji Raje was arrested by Adilshahi in 1648 for Shivaji and Sambhaji's battles against them (Baji Ghorpade entered into Shahaji's chambers when he was sleeping and attacked and arrested, he was paraded insultingly by Afzalkhan and presented before Adilshah).

Sambhaji Raje was on a campaign then.  He had taken over Bengluru and won Kandarpi fort. 

Shivaji Maharaj, Jijabai and advisors were gravely concerned.  If Shivaji Maharaj had to surrender everything he had won to free Shahaji Raje it would have meant losing Swarajya battle before fully starting. 

Shivaji Maharaj the great tactician that he was - he sent letter to Mugal Shahjade Murad in Ahmedabad, with a hand of friendship and showed a desire for meeting.  Shivaji Maharaj wrote he was concerned for his father's safety as Adilshahi had unnecessarily arrested him.  Shahjade Murad responded promptly and their growing communication led to worry in Adilshahi.  Shahjade Murad sent letter to Shahaji Raje saying Shivaji Maharaj is desiring of friendship with Mugals and Shahjade Murad was requesting Adilshahi to free Shahaji Raje and had sent "poshakh (clothes/manvastra)".  Adilshahi could not stop this letter!

Adilshahi was worried about Shivaji Maharaj getting Mugal support so after negotiations a compromise was reached.  They freed Shahaji Raje and in exchange Shivaji Maharaj surrendered Kondhana fort and Sambhaji surrendered Bengluru and Kandarpi.

Sambhaji Raje had got a son meanwhile.  While on a campaign to take Kanakgiri fort with Afzalkhan, Sambhaji was betrayed by Afzalkhan and was killed.  Jijabai was devastated by this news.  Saibai was pregnant and when she delivered a son, Jijabai named him Sambhaji after her first born son.

After the arrest incident, not to put any restrictions on Shivaji Maharaj and not to risk Shahaji Raje's safety, Shahaji Raje declared that Shivaji Maharaj did not listen to his advice and behaved with an independent mind.

Adilshahi sent Afzalkhan with a huge army against forging Maratha Empire and to capture Shivaji.  Shivaji Maharaj killed Afzalkhan and defeated his army.  It was not just a defeat but also revenge for Afzalkhan's betrayal of Sambhaji and treatment of Shahaji Raje after his arrest.

Yes Shahaji Raje always stayed with Adilshahi.  He put forward the idea that all the states in South - Adilshahi, Nizamshahi, Kutubshahi should stay together and support Shivaji Maharaj and they should not let Mugals enter into South.

After various large defeats at hands of Shivaji Maharaj, Adilshahi came to conclusion that atleast a cordial relationship with Shivaji Maharaj was in their best interest.  Shahaji Raje was encouraged to visit Shivaji Maharaj and to get him to agree to join Adilshahi.

Shahaji Raje visited Maratha Empire for the first time in 1661-62 and was eagerly and warmly welcomed on Rajgad.  He admitted to Jijabai that she raised Shivaji Maharaj and gave her full credit.  Shahaji Raje fully supported Hindavi Swarajya and advised Shivaji Maharaj to be wary of Aurangzeb.  He came on the pretext of wanting to get Shivaji Maharaj to join Adilshahi but of course he did not suggest any such thing.

Shivaji Maharaj bowed at his father's feet and said whatever he has earned it is at his father's feet, for his service.  While leaving Shahaji Raje blessed Shivaji Maharaj and assured him he will be successful in dealing with Shaistakhan.

It is very interesting how Shivaji Maharaj kept Shaistekhan interested with conciliatory gestures and letters so that Shahaji Raje's visit could go off without any disturbance!

Shahaji Raje went back to Adilshahi, and he was killed in a riding accident in 1664, while Shivaji Maharaj was on Surat campaign.  Jijabai wanted to go sati but Shivaji Maharaj reached Rajgad in time and stopped her.

Incidentally Baji Ghorpade who had arrested Shahaji Raje was from Mudhol and Jijabai never forgot this betrayal of her husband by Ghorpade.  She sent a letter to Shivaji Maharaj reminding this when he was on campaign in that area and he attacked Mudhol and killed Baji Ghorpade.

If only Shahaji Raje, Sambhaji Raje (Sr.) and Shivaji Maharaj had joined forced and fought for Hindavi Swarjya, who knows what might have happened.  However, as Abhay wrote so beautifully, history is a tale of what ifs!

So Shahaji Raje was an absentee father most of Shivaji Maharaj's life but he was always a moral support blessing dream of Hindavi Swarjya.  Shahaji Raje was lucky enough to see the dream turned into reality by his son Shivaji Maharaj.

Hi Maddy

Thanks so much for this detailed reply. I don't mind any amount of info you can post 😃

I had read somewhere that Shahaji Raje had tried unsuccessfully for Swarajya. It's shocking and sad that his son Sambhaji died so early in his life. 

Who is this Jagdev who burnt Pune before Dadoji K. rebuilt it? 

Murad was Aurangzeb's brother na? 

Jijabai's contribution to the Swarajya campaign is immeasurable - to have raised young Shivaji almost single-handedly and making him the warrior and tactician he was and ensuring that he successfully created the Maratha empire amidst so many enemies - just a terrific lady !

RadhikaS0 thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
Finally finished reading this thread. 👏 It was great reading, though i don't remember all the fine details now if someone were to ask me. 😆
Thanks for refreshing JA memories , Maddy and Abhay. I didn't know about the Jauhar bit. But right said Maddy, long posts were de rigueur there. 

@Neesha - I sure remember you, dear. So good to see you here 😃 I am not so regular here but come traipsing once in a while to catch up on history posts here. Keep writing 👍🏼
history_geek thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 5

Shivaji and couplet of Kavi Bhushan about Aurangzeb

Today is birth anniversary of Shivaji according to Hindu calendar.

Sharing translation of a couplet written by Kavi Bhushan, who was the court poet of Chatrapati Shivaji & Raja Chattrasal Bundela of Bundelkhand.

I attempted a translation of 1 of his couplets. Kavi Bhushan wrote couplets in Braj Bhasha with words from Sanskrit, Arabic & Persian.

Translation is given below these couplets.

My Translation :

Oh Aurangzeb!

What are you dreaming, at present ? Wake up. Make preparations and re-enforce and strengthen yourself. The most powerful Shivaji is reaching soon and he will get you. If possible, save your Delhi, else it will sink and you will lose it.

- Remember that, saving Delhi is not easy as winning over Dara Shukoh.

- Remember that, saving Delhi is not so simple as winning over Khajua (referring to victory of Aurangzeb over his brother Shah Shuja at village Khajua in Fatehpur district in UP)

- Remember that, saving Delhi is not as easy as taming Sehwaal ( referring to Shahbaz Khan )

- Remember that saving Delhi is not as easy as destroying the temple of Kashi Vishwanath.

- Remember that saving Delhi is not as easy as establishing your stronghold in Gokul (the place associated with Sri Krishna)

- Remember that saving Delhi is not as easy as destroying the "dehra" of Dev ( referring to the destruction of Keshav Rai temple(dehra) built by Raja Bir Singh (Dev) Bundela of Orcha )

- Remember that saving Delhi is not as easy as destroying any place of a Goddess (Devi) or a temple of Krishna ( Gopal ). Enough of massacres have been perpetrated.

- Now, do something at the earliest to save Delhi from the mighty Shivaji, because (i believe) saving Delhi is not your cup of tea.

- Shivaji is your "Maha-Kaal" {he is coming}.

Why Kavi Bhushan wrote such hard hitting words ?
It was due to these kind of orders of Aurangzeb.

Topmost order is for removal of railing of Keshav Rai Temple, about which Kavi Bhushan wrote.

Lowermost order is about Kashi Vishwanath Temple about which Kavi Bhushan wrote.
It was an ancient deity. But that shrine which was destroyed by Aurangzeb was constructed in the reign of Akbar.

The railing was removed earlier in 1666.
Now in 1670, the temple is also razed.

This was built by Bir Singh Bundela at the cost of 33 lacs rupees. He was friend of Jahangir and it is reported that he spent his fortune which he earned in his life to build this temple.

You would understand it better when you compare it with Taj Mahal which was made at the cost of 40 lakhs according to the Padshahnama of Shah Jahan. Now, imagine, how beautiful this temple would have been. There is not much difference in 40 and 33. The account itself says it was a magnificent structure and it was tough to raze, as you read above.

Keshav Rai Temple Mathura
Zoom and read on the Left side

Receipt of Original Preserved Order of Aurangzeb
Kashi Vishwanath Temple in Bikaner Archives

Note :

It was important to mention these orders, because - unless you know the background, you would not understand the state of mind under which Kavi Bhushan wrote those lines describing the impending attack of Shivaji on Aurangzeb.

This is Metal Statue of Shivaji.
Replica of the one at the Pratapgarh.
This is from Allahabad Museum.

This is the only contemporary sketch of Shivaji.
Drawn by the merchants of the Dutch East India Company.
Original copy present with the Royal Gaikwad Family of Baroda.

Marathi_Mulgi thumbnail
awesome post abhay though reading it slowly
and addition of kavi bhushan was gr8 info! did u saw RSC title song by kavi bhushan? shared on thread how small shivaji

between read abt akbar n his daughters marriege akbar was liberal but no hindu was that liberal to accept muslim wife! had read it while reading n searching for MP at MP show time! and morever muslim convert when girl when they marries her and if girl marries other religion then boy had to convert himself in muslim! akbar was liberal so he din't but jodha burried n had tomb! whereas nargis had tomb even she was wife of sunil dutt! 

ps don't want to hurt anyone its own opinion! will edit this if anyone had objection!
history_geek thumbnail

Originally posted by: Marathi_Mulgi

awesome post abhay though reading it slowly

and addition of kavi bhushan was gr8 info! did u saw RSC title song by kavi bhushan? shared on thread how small shivaji.

between read abt akbar n his daughters marriege akbar was liberal but no hindu was that liberal to accept muslim wife! had read it while reading n searching for MP at MP show time! and morever muslim convert when girl when they marries her and if girl marries other religion then boy had to convert himself in muslim! akbar was liberal so he din't but jodha burried n had tomb! whereas nargis had tomb even she was wife of sunil dutt! 

ps don't want to hurt anyone its own opinion! will edit this if anyone had objection!

Thanks. :D

Kavi Bhushan has written some stirring lines. I just shared few of his couplets on birth anniversary of Shivaji. BTW, today is Punyatithi of Shivaji (April 3, 1680) and yesterday was the Punya tithi of Balaji Vishwanath (April 2, 1720).

No, i don't understand Marathi completely. So, i didn't watch that song (if you are talking about the song shared around page 10 of this thread.)

I have no idea about Nargis and Sunil Dutt. You are right, though. There are cases of conversion. In Akbar's reign itself, there was a case, when a Hindu guy converted himself to marry a Muslim girl. This was reported by Badayuni.

As far as case of Jodha is concerned, no one can say with certainty if she was buried. Local tradition holds she was cremated. Her tomb's crypt was opened in 1890s. Though, i don't know what were the findings in details. The crypt was opened to find if the lady inside was a Christian lady (to give rest to the doubt that MUZ was a Christian wife) . They searched for the cross in that crypt. No cross was found. They concluded that the lady whose remains are present inside was NOT a Christian. (This is what i read.)

Presence of a tomb does not means a burial only. Several rulers of Rajasthan had "tombs" where they kept ashes after cremation.

And, btw, even till today, people are at loggerheads trying to figure out the faith of Akbar. For sure, he was not a practicing Muslim. If you are interested, read my 3 part blogs about death of Akbar. And in that series, at least read the 3rd part. I have listed a long list of references. He denied following any Islamic ritual on his death bed. Akbar was an apostate (due to his liberal ways) in the eyes of his contemporaries.

IF Thread Link of Part 3:
Rise of Orthodoxy after death of Akbar, Jesuit obituary, People' reaction on Akbar's death Part-3

If we are not sure of faith of Akbar, then how can we talk about his wife who is reported to have followed idol worship throughout ? People like Akbar and Jodha (Harka / MUZ) can not be categorized into any particular religion, and we can not forcefully fit them into modern notions of "religions". They did what they liked.

Even i have read that Hindus did not accept Muslim wives. How much of this is correct - I can not say at the moment. This is mentioned by Bhawani Singh in his book on Maharana Pratap.

But, just to tell you a very interesting exception - One of the wives of Rana Udai Singh ( father of Maharana Pratap) is said** to be a Muslim, and the official Mewar genealogy lists name of the sons of Rana Udai Singh as some "Khan" (forgot his name).

** - Her name is not known as far as i know.

Well. My arguments about the last point, may not be very impressive. But i would prefer to read more and make myself more informed, before commenting at length. :)

BTW, i logged in to IF, to write about a new character. We saw the son of Dhanaji Jadhav, who was shown to be jealous of Balaji Vishwanath.

This is true. He was always jealous of the rising status of Balaji. After death of Dhanaji in 1708, Shahu Ji appointed him in place of Dhanaji, despite knowing that he was a ambitious youth with no experience. But Shahu ji appointed him because the loyal officers of Dhanaji were required and they were with his son.

Dhanaji's son was never in favor of Shahu ji. He had even criticized his father for supporting Shahu ji and not Tara Bai in the "sham battle" about which i wrote on last to last page in reply to Neesha.

Nevertheless, he was appointed despite his inexperience at his father's position. Shahu ji appointed Balaji as Senakarte (as mentioned in page 1 main post) to help Dhanaji's son. But the latter took it as interference of Balaji. He was jealous of Balaji coz of his growing influence on Maratha army.

Soon, around 1710 - 11, he deserted Shahu ji, fought with Balaji**, and joined the rival camp of Tara Bai. Many other Maratha chiefs deserted Shahu ji. It was the genius of Balaji alone, who stood like a rock along with Shahu Ji in this tough times, fought rival Marathas, and safeguarded the throne for Shahu Ji. Shahu ji appointed the second son of Dhanaji at place of his first son. The second son was also not that competent. He was not a traitor like his elder brother. But even he deserted Shahu ji in tough times.

** - I mentioned in the main post - At the age of 10, Bajirao was hunted by the infuriated Senapati along with his father. This Senapati was the son of Dhanaji. He had quarreled with Balaji on a minor issue and sent 3000 men against Balaji. Balaji was on run from one place to another, saving his life. With him were his children and wife Radha Bai. At last they were helped by Pilaji Jadhav (who was going to become the close friend of Bajirao in future) and a battle was fought. ALong with other, the 11 year old Bajirao distinguished himself in this full blown battle.

This series of events, took place in 1710-11 when bajirao was around 10-11 years old. Little did this rebel son of Dhanaji know, that this same boy would force him bow down on his feet, in future, fearing retribution. On 27th December 1732, this son of Dhanaji who in service of Nizam, welcomed Bajirao in camp of Nizam and looked after Bajirao's needs, attended him, and saw that he had no problem, while in the camp. This was the 6th visit of Bajirao to Nizam Qamruddin !

This elder son of Dhanaji had joined hands with Nizam Qamruddin around 1714. And, represented the anti Shahu and anti Balaji faction in court of Nizam. He is remembered as a traitor in Maratha history. Along with him, another man is remembered - Sultanji Nimbalkar also joined the Nizam in 1726.

PS : Ignore grammar  / spelling errors. Written in hurry.

goofyCat thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Commentator 2 Thumbnail
Good to see an update on this thread after long 😊
That seems to be interesting series of events around 1710-1711. I hope we get to see this in the show.

How unfortunate that the likes of Shivaji, Sambhaji, Balaji, Baji had to fight with their own people !!
history_geek thumbnail

Originally posted by: _goofyCat_

Good to see an update on this thread after long 😊

That seems to be interesting series of events around 1710-1711. I hope we get to see this in the show.

How unfortunate that the likes of Shivaji, Sambhaji, Balaji, Baji had to fight with their own people !!

Entire period of 1700 to 1740 is very interesting. :))

Writing fast. So ignore errors.

Today they had shown Malhar Rao Holkar finally. It was such a fantastic episode. May be among the best episodes till now. Just sharing some info which i read about him in general and on the Net.

The guy who is essaying the role is a fantastic choice. I watched him earlier in Maharana Pratap show. He played the role of the legendary Patta Chundawat. Such fighting sequences suit him.

BTW, He served so many Peshwas till his death around 1766. He was the father in law of the famed Punyashlok Ahilya Bai Holkar. He had trained her to lead the kingdom.

In the life of Peshwa Bajirao, he played an important role. He was from a very modest background. He came from the family of shepherds and rose to become a man of high stature under Bajirao just because of his talent.

Holkars were technically not Marathas, they were primarily Dhangars, a community of shepherds and cattle herders, predominantly found in Maharashtra. It is believed they were originally from the Gokul near Mathura, and later migrated into Mewar, from where they spread into Gujarat and Maharashtra. They were known for their poetry called Ovi, which was inspired by the pastures and forests where their flocks grazed.

Malhar Rao had a series of achievements. He was present along with Balaji and Bajirao when they moved to Delhi in 1719. He was with bajirao in Battle of Palked against the Nizam in 1727, then again he was with bajirao in 1737 when he marched to Delhi (i have mentioned about him in my thread number 2). In 1757, he commanded 1 lac Maratha soldiers to face the brunt of Afghans.

BUT He is best remembered for capturing Lahore in 1758.

The famous victory of Chimaji against Portuguese was aided by Malhar Rao Holkar. It is said it was he who played a decisive role in conquering the fort of Bassein ( now Vasai) from the Portuguese after a long drawn out siege under the leadership of Chimaji Appa.

He also received the villages of Rampura, Bhanpura and Tonk from Madhosingh I of Jaipur for the assistance he rendered to him in 1743, during his internal disputes with Ishwari Singh.

Holkar also played a signficant role in the Battle of Farukhabad during 1751-52, where along with Jayappa Scindia and Gangadhar Tatya, he aided Safdarjung the Nawab of Awadh, against a combined force of Shadullah Khan, Bahadur Khan Rohilla and Ahmed Khan Bangash.

In 1757, along with Raghunath Rao and the Mughal Wazir Imad Mulk he laid siege to Delhi that was under the control of Najib-Ud-Doulah, the Rohilla leader who effectively controlled it after Ahmed Shah Abdali installed the puppet ruler Alamgir II. Leading a force of 100,000 Marathas, Malhar Rao first crushed the Afghans in the Doab region.

Soon a force of 30,000 Marathas encamped outside Delhi, and after a two-week long siege, Najib surrendered and was taken prisoner . This also made the Marathas the de facto rulers of Delhi, and Alamgir II, just remained a titular head with no real powers.

Using Delhi as the base Malhar Rao also captured Sirhind in 1758 and later Lahore too fell tghe same year, while Tukoji Rao Holkar conqured Attock.

The promise made by Baji Rao to fly the Maratha flag till Attock was fulfilled by him, and the death bed prophecy / wish of Shivaji was fulfilled.

Malhar Rao passed away in 1766, and his daughter-in-law Ahilyabai Holkar took over and would prove herself to be one of the greatest queens of India.

Malhar Rao Holkar
Contemporary Painting
Dated 1770 - From Bundi in Rajasthan

Marathi_Mulgi thumbnail
thank you abhay info about malhar rao holkar!
so he was father-in-law of punyasholk ahilyabai holkar! guess was half right! actor playing malhar rao is awesome actor he had also played young cgm with manishji! and also best as patta

so vasai call bassein! chamaji appa's winning vasai fort is famous! do give more details about it.

gr8 malhar rao was the main pillar to get attok!
how he got indur sansthan? and he was dhangar first! between dhangar sings 'sumbran' and 'ovi' is one which females sing while granding grains to flour on granding stone!
thanks again!
Edited by Marathi_Mulgi - 7 years ago