Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

return_to_hades thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6
Posted: 16 years ago
Of course I love Harry Potter series irrespective of this new detail and I would have read the books over and over with our without the new revelation. It has not changed anything about anyone and Dumbledore is still the same great wizard.

However, unlike a few other people the new revelation has made me like the series and JK Rowling more. A lot of people had already considered Harry Potter a gay icon. In fact there were even groups of fans disappointed at the lack of homosexual characters in the book despite the popularity of slash shipping. While I could not care less about the issue I always wondered why Rowling tackled other social subjects but not this. In the end the revelation shows her boldness in making such a move. She probably waited till the series was done to prevent people from being turned of, or she could have done it now for publicity I do not care.

Although I will be reading the books again for more gay subtext there is so much more to look forward to. Envision how the movies could have been better. Start imagining the new characters. Find bloopers and glitches. Its still a totally fun series.
Eloquent thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2

Originally posted by: return_to_hades

Of course I love Harry Potter series irrespective of this new detail and I would have read the books over and over with our without the new revelation. It has not changed anything about anyone and Dumbledore is still the same great wizard.

However, unlike a few other people the new revelation has made me like the series and JK Rowling more. A lot of people had already considered Harry Potter a gay icon. In fact there were even groups of fans disappointed at the lack of homosexual characters in the book despite the popularity of slash shipping. While I could not care less about the issue I always wondered why Rowling tackled other social subjects but not this. In the end the revelation shows her boldness in making such a move. She probably waited till the series was done to prevent people from being turned of, or she could have done it now for publicity I do not care.

Although I will be reading the books again for more gay subtext there is so much more to look forward to. Envision how the movies could have been better. Start imagining the new characters. Find bloopers and glitches. Its still a totally fun series.

Exactly!! I alwys told myself...she's shown an "age-gap" relationship in Lupin/Tonks and now all she needs is to show someone as gay...

And well...I think I was waiting for this actually....I thought someone or the otehr might be gay....because even in the wizarding society...someone's gotta be gay....makes it more real esp since more ppl are coming out of the closet these days

As for the publicity stunt thing, I disagree...she's got all the popularity and publicity in the world...and she's as famous as she can be or will want to be...

Publicity stunts are pulled off by wannabe fledgling socialites who need the page space on papers and tv to get some recognition.

Now after being accomplished worldwide and almost everyone knowing her face even if they haven't read HP.....why the hell would she need any publicity????

As for DD, now that I know he's gay....it all seems to fit...though I dunno why. His being gay doesn't change a damn thing for me...it actually doesn't make any difference except to understand the extent of DD's obsessed "love" for Grindelwald and I think Jo wanted to show that extent (for people to better understand DD's youthful choices and deeds) and hence the revelation of DD's sexual orientation, I think.
*Jane* thumbnail
Hellooooooooooo HPians,

Welcome back to another Discussion of the Week!

This week, we'll be discussing about the new information we've found out about the characters and storyline in the Harry Potter books.

We all know the news about Dumbledore, if you don't then you're welcome to ask or find from the articles. What do you think about this?

I was quite relieved, actually, and I had suspected when I finished DH, so I was very excited that I was right.

Do you think it's too abrupt for JK Rowling to state that, or have you questioned Dumbledore in this sense before?

As I mentioned above, I had considered Dumbledore to be gay (or at the very least bi) before and I don't think it's abrupt seeing as JK had said that she "...always thought of Dumbledore as gay." As I look back now, I can see hints from even before DH so this really was a part of Dumbledores character, not just something she pulled out of thin air for kicks.

There have been information and articles, and I'm sure you will be able to tell from your friends and family who have read the books - does this affect your liking of HP as a whole?

I, actually, adore the books more (if that's even possible). I am one of those people who was miffed that she did not include a gay character into the books. HP, being an allegorical tale, as real life issues have a parallel in the HP world, just solidifies the fact that a gay character should have been introduced in the series.

Some people have decided that they will not read HP anymore because of the news about Dumbledore, some respect him even more. What do you think?

My respect for Dumbledore himself hasn't changed as I've always been loyal to him (kind of like I'm with Snape) but my respect for JK has risen considerably for not shying away from something like this when she's tackled everything else in the books.Edited by *Jane* - 16 years ago
RosyRosh thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 5
Alright, yes I have soo much to say about this!!

Ok first off I want to make my opinion and side clear, and that is that JO is a nimrod!!

Alright her think about this in this way.

Even though JO has written these books, she has never truly, read or written them. How can Joe say out of no where out of no basis, and after years after the first books release that Dumbledore is gay?

Everything she said is baseless. Completely Baseless.

Dont you all feel that she had said all this with pure publicity in mind. It is completely obvious. Now that her books are over, and the movies are not even technically in her hands she had probably felt that she isnt going to be talked about as much and needed to do something to keep her in the media. Plain and Simple.

Jo has been way played out and she wants to stay in the game and that is why she has been saying and spreading all of these jackass(sorry to curse) rumors.

As for my ideas on the book, I feel absolutly no difference on the books, movies, and or story itself. I still feel all of its is the same and do that by simply omitting everything else out.

Dumbledore in my opinion is not gay, Jo made baseless allegations just for her own media and publicity, and my opinion on the book has not and will not change!

I STILL LOVE HARRY POTTER
happy765 thumbnail
I definitly agree. Harry potter is still like my total favorite. If they wanted us to know about dumbledore, then why not mention it in the books? telling us now, well, there is really no point. It doesn't change my view on harry potter. I still like it just as much. And now, they might even encorporate this into the movies. (at least that is what i hear) That is a totaly waste of time. They have so much stuff to put in, this is just an unneccesary peice of information. One that jkrowling didn't need to tell everyone.

Thats my opinion
(great topic 😊 )