Judge me not: Saroj Khan on Nach Baliye

dhaval_h_parekh thumbnail
Posted: 18 years ago
Judge me not: Saroj Khan on Nach Baliye
   By: A hitList Correspondent
   October 20, 2005

Saroj Khan
Judge Saroj Khan tells hitList about the couples she thinks will make it to the top five…

My brief as a judge on Star One's Nach Baliye was very simple: to judge, not just the actors, but also the choreographers. I was also told to keep in mind that the contestants were actors, not dancers.

Gruelling month-long rehearsals have made them dance like pros! I was asked to look at some of their rehearsals but didn't, because I didn't want to form an opinion. As it is, I've seen most of them perform for the first time on the sets – and they're even better than I thought they would be!

Winning move

Most of us think a great song does the trick. That's not true — all songs are good, provided the choreographer knows what to do with them. A choreographer can't just copy movements from the actual song; that would be just like watching the film. 

Coach ka jadoo

If a couple loses, it's because the choreographer hasn't hidden their flaws well or hasn't used movements to highlight their plusses.

For instance, Sachin and Supriya's choreographers didn't just pick up the steps from Let's do balle Balle, in Fida — they got them to jig in a manner that would suit their age and bodies, showcasing their awesome chemistry and capabilities as dancers.

Even Shilpa and Apoorva's choreographer got them to strut their stuff in a way that you would never guess Shilpa has a bad back! And Parmeet and Archana's choreographers tapped into their fun streak and madness.

Playing fair

We don't interact with the couples, except while judging with them. A lot of them cried, were distressed and got worked up after their scores were revealed. But we, as judges, have to be frank with our comments and opinions. If Sai and Shakti can chill and dance, and Neeru and Amit can crystalise their chemistry in their moves, it would help them win over the audience votes and us too.

Saroj's top five

I don't really have any favourites on the show. But there are couples I feel will make the final five: Sachin and Supriya, Shilpa and Apoorva, Parmeet and Archana, Rajeshwari and Varun, and Rajiv and Delnaaz — they can dance, have great chemistry and their choreographers have done a great job so far.

Watch them sizzle tonight

The contestants have gotten better with just one episode. If you tune into tonight's 9 pm episode, you can see the improvement almost immediately. One doesn't really need to shake and shimmy to numbers like these. It's all about acting, cavorting and sizzling with the song. Which is why a theme like this is perfectly timed to get rid of their nervousness and anxiety.

Chill, chill, chill

Out of the all the romantic numbers I have done, Aaj Kal Hai Intezaar in Sailaab, picturised on Madhuri Dixit, was an unexpected commercial and critical hit. Let's see if any of them chose this song to dance on…. I will be watching them closely.  With each theme round, the fight is going to get tougher, and I want to wish all participants best of luck!

[email protected]

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

OodlesDoodles thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 7
Posted: 18 years ago
I think she really was good in picking the top 5. I have to say I agree with her pick as being the best.