Frequent Posters

_.serendipity._ thumbnail
Posted: 9 years ago

Originally posted by: khuwahish

Nice update...
Just loved SaAz...

Thank you!

Originally posted by: ikhlass

Excellentissime j'adore ! "she genetically programmed to be perpetually late by virtue of her gender"πŸ˜†... It's true for a lot of women πŸ˜†... This chapter made me smile... Sahir's  confidences about Arzoo's behaviour in the airport and the plane were very funny.

Arzoo is so cute, so sociable, she smiles to everyone's face, she helps everyone... and Sahir is annoyed by her ?!! Poor Sahir he is attracted to Arzoo as a magnet, he's searching for Arzoo's faults for resist to his attraction to her... I sympathise with him, it's very difficult to resist Arzoo's charm.

But i feel that  Arzoo has suffered a trauma in the past πŸ˜­... isn't it ?

Really bravo πŸ‘ ! You write very well, you know keep your readers in suspence... Now, you  have no choice but to update very soon πŸ˜‰πŸ€—

Aw, thanks so much! I'm really happy that you enjoyed reading the chapter. And, in the interest of preserving the suspense that you seem to love so much πŸ˜› I'll just say, you are perhaps probably pretty much bang on with your observations.. hehe. I will update soon for sure. How can I not, with such lovely readers!

Originally posted by: raaz19

Thanks for answers to the questions...makes a lot of sense..

Yeah deffo add the last part to the first page will help readers..
.don't worry suspense is good because than we can connect with the writer and characters also... I do feel reading about arzoo past will be difficult...

Anyway bring on the mischief from the conference with saaz... I can imagine it will be both funny and a delight to read..

Added πŸ˜ƒ Thanks again!
Hakuna_Matata11 thumbnail
Awaiting next update...
humsafarsclub thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail
keep writing. it's getting interesting.
Manasi90 thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail Networker 2 Thumbnail
Absolutely fantastic idea.. Saaz as lawyers means lots of nok-jhok... & awesome romance.
Do continue...πŸ˜‰πŸ˜³
chicksoup thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
This is a beautiful backdrop to Saaz..and U write so well.πŸ‘
You have written them both down so much in detail...really lovely.
Waiting for the update.
vidhichaudhury thumbnail
Awesome update.loved it
thanks for pm
madhu31 thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail
Started reading today..and I want more πŸ˜†

Love it 😳
vinnithelover thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail

Finally i read it !!! It was awesome!! Continue fast!!

Originally posted by: humsafarsclub

keep writing. it's getting interesting.

Thank you! I will!

Originally posted by: palsekar.manti

Absolutely fantastic idea.. Saaz as lawyers means lots of nok-jhok... & awesome romance.

Do continue...πŸ˜‰πŸ˜³

Hehe.. for sure! Well, it does get pretty emotion-heavy at times, but I will try to pepper in some light-hearted nok-jhok from time to time. Thanks for the comment!

Originally posted by: chicksoup

This is a beautiful backdrop to Saaz..and U write so well.πŸ‘

You have written them both down so much in detail...really lovely.
Waiting for the update.

Thank you! I'm glad you're enjoying it!

thanks for pm

Thank YOU for the comment! 

Originally posted by: madhu31

Started reading today..and I want more πŸ˜† 

Love it πŸ˜³

Aww, thank you!

Originally posted by: vinnithelover

Finally i read it !!! It was awesome!! Continue fast!!

Glad you liked it! Thank you!

@ quirky_senorita: No, I haven't forgotten you! πŸ˜› Thank you so much for being such a sweet stalker. I am quite flattered πŸ˜³
Edited by _.serendipity._ - 9 years ago

A/N: In this FF, Zaki is not related to Sahir in any way and they have never met before.

Chapter 4

Pro tempore

Arzoo stole a glance at Sahir as they entered the conference hall. His eyes were still blazing with anger because of her whole clothes fiasco. The fact that her luggage was still stranded Allah-knows-where could not have been her fault, but he had definitely taken offence at the fact that she had refused to wear the clothes that the manager had brought, and from his point of view, justifiably so.

She sighed, in resignation to what was to follow. Just when she felt that he had begun to soften his stance towards her somewhat! She had even caught a hint of a smile on his face once or twice since they had reached Delhi. And there they were, back to square one. He had regained his inexplicable irritation towards her. He would once again snap at her and have those customary taunts of his be interspersed in their conversations.

As much as she pretended that she could not care less what he thought about her, as much as she tried to put a positive spin on it all, positing that it would only make her stronger eventually, it did matter a great deal. Every glare of his stung. The unfairness of his unfounded presumptions stung, as did the fact that he did not care enough to give her a chance.

At the same time, allowing her musing to go beyond herself and her feelings, she could not help but wonder what it was that had hardened him so much. He was barely two years older than her. Granted, he had been in the profession for longer, since she had started started off by studying literature for two years before branching out into law, and she had also taken that one year off after her LLB. But he was still close to her age, even though he behaved as though he was from another generation altogether. His grumpy embittered approach to life had aged him, so much so, that the rare times when she had perceived that slight glimmer of a smile in his eyes had made him seem like a whole different person. She could not help but wonder, why he was in that constant race, against time, against others, against himself. In the end, would it be worth having had to forego living in the moment and appreciating every bit of it?

It was beyond her - the peculiar pull that she felt towards him. She wanted to know and understand him, to be closer to him. She wanted to be his friend. She wanted to pull down all the walls he had set up around him. She wanted him to see with her eyes. She wanted to see with his, to... just figure the whole mystery behind the way he was, once and for all, so she could stop obsessing about it. It was probably the strangest feeling she had ever felt. She was instinctively drawn to people and their stories and always felt a need to get to know them better. But this was different. It was a feeling strong enough to be the first thought on her mind when she woke up, as she would wonder the mood that he would be in that day. And even before she lay herself in bed, she would find the need to compulsively analyse every word, gesture and inscrutable facial expression of his. She wondered and hypothesized what it was about him that gave him the ability to affect her so much, but could never get to the root of it.

She had joked with her best friend Zaki, that a sure-shot way of wooing a girl was to act all mysterious and distant and ever so slightly offhand and occasionally rude. Without realizing it, the girl would get confused into thinking about him more than she would have if he had not been so intriguing. Zaki had immediately quipped, his eyes glinting mischievously, that she was falling for Sahir.

"Kuch bhi!" she had retorted, wishing that they were talking in person and not on Skype, so that she could have punched him, "Here I am, giving you tips to sweep girls off their feet, and instead of being grateful, you are setting me up with him?"

But although she had laughed it off, the thought had lingered in her mind for some time. Could it be? No. It could not be. Of course it could not be. She could not allow herself to go down that road again. It had taken her long enough to begin to find herself, and the self that she had found - albeit a lost, confused, uncertain self - was not to be lost again with such thoughtlessness. She had learnt it the hard way - the need to love and respect herself before anything else.

Her thoughts, as a matter of course, receded to the memories she would probably never be able to efface. Perhaps it was a good thing to be like Sahir, devoid of emotion. How could there be pain if there was no attachment, no longing, no warmth, no happiness? Perhaps she would have done well to become impassive and detached herself, mechanically living through life in the form of checklists of achievements and goals. And perhaps that was the key to the enigma of why her path had crossed with Sahir's in the first place.

She focused her attention back to what was being said by the plenary speaker at the conference, who had been flown in from The Hague. Sahir and her had not managed to get seats together, since they had been slightly delayed due to the security checks. He was sitting in the seat behind her, and she could just imagine him, completely rapt in attention, and silently fuming all the same, because there had been one hair out of place in his otherwise perfectly orchestrated plan.

Earlier she would have found it funny that he could be so infuriated by such minor setbacks, by something as insignificant as being "late" for a conference that only officially started once they had been seated anyway. But she understood now the importance of discipline and order in his life; she needed to try harder to not upset his plans.

And then, just as she thought that she had finally gotten the hang of Sahir Azeem Chaudhary and was able to predict the way he would react to different situations, he managed to surprise her yet again. When their eyes met during the break for refreshments, she could just about gauge that he was barely allowing himself to look away from her. She had been feeling extremely self-conscious as it was, and was constantly re-adjusting the dupatta that she had wrapped around her shoulders. And here he was, making her feel even more uncomfortable.

It seemed like he wanted to say something, something that he was struggling to convey through his eyes. There was a most indefinable expression on his face. Desperation, as he was willing her to understand that elusive something. And concern, and regret. An apology?

"Sahir Sir?" she said hesitantly, not quite sure of what to say next.

"I'm sorry," Sahir blurted out.

Arzoo almost giggled. Why did his apologies invariably come at a time when she no longer had any idea of what he needed to apologise for?

"For what?" she enquired, truly at a loss.

"The clothes," he said, in a strangled voice, "I mean, you were not to blame. I should have been more - I was harsh, I was just... we were getting late and you know how I -"

He looked extremely uncomfortable, and kept adjusting the knot of his tie, as though to unfetter the words that seemed to be constricted his throat.

"Yes Sir," she said quickly, embarrassed by his apology, "I know. And I should not have delayed us. You do not have to apologise. I am really sorry. It won't happen again."

There was a long pause that followed, within which, it seemed, neither of the two knew what to say. Thankfully they were interrupted by another lawyer, Mr Rehman, whom Sahir knew from his internship days. He introduced Arzoo to Mr Rehman as "a bright and promising intern," and she momentarily felt a mist of unshed tears obscure her vision. Sahir was still looking at her just as intently and she fervently hoped that he had not noticed that she had been moved by his words.

Suddenly, she felt, she might have preferred moody irritable Sahir to this new kind and sensitive version. At least with Gabbar Chaudhary, she could have some fun, mentally giving him names and imagining ways to pester him and shake him out of that icily immaculate comfort zone of his. What was she to do with Gentleman Chaudhary, other than try not to blush too visibly and look like a complete idiot?

She rebuked herself. Why was she allowing her misplaced ego, and her childish insistence on winning at their cat-and-mouse game, to blind her so? What was wrong if Sahir saw that she appreciated his kindness? There were very few people in her life who had shown confidence in her abilities. Any word of praise, especially coming from someone like Sahir, a self-made successful lawyer, meant more to her than he could have known, and if he did get a hint of it, it could only be a good thing.

She permitted herself to smile at him, and with that, just like that, she felt a weight lift itself from her heart. The air filled her lungs again, the light entered her eyes again. One of the shackles she seemed to have been bound by loosened itself slightly. In that moment, she felt genuinely happy. In that moment, it was not just her mask that was smiling, it was the person beneath it too.

Things were changing. She could almost sense it in the air. Somewhere, at a distance, wild stubborn winds were approaching, carrying with them dust and debris that would scorch tears into her eyes. Winds that would take away with them all the grime, all the pain. And perhaps it was only a sign of the imminent change, that Sahir smiled back at her.

She could not understand the why or the how, what it was that had made him suddenly drop at least part of the prejudice that he once seemed to have once held against her. But she stashed the thought away to the back of her mind. Not everything needed to be explained or rationalised, at least not immediately.

It was only after the conference that she understood, and she wished she never had. It only reinforced the niggling thought that happiness was nothing but an ephemeral mirage.

As she was leaving the conference hall with Sahir, and walking across the hotel compound to where their rooms were, he gently placed his suit jacket around her shoulders, perhaps having noticed that she was shivering slightly, and asked, "How did you get those scars?"

She froze in her tracks, completely still, but for the warm tears that dropped from her eyes powerlessly. He had seen the scars on her back during the conference, when he was sitting behind her. Her dupatta must have moved or something.

His apology, his words of praise, the thoughtfulness he had shown towards her, had had nothing to do with him appreciating her qualities or warming up to her somehow. They stemmed from pity, condescension. She had been shown her place. The place of a weak, vulnerable, dependent person.

She brushed away her tears angrily, and handing over his jacket back to him, she walked away from him resolutely. And he did not attempt to stop her.

----------------------------

Chapter 5: Page 13

Edited by _.serendipity._ - 8 years ago