Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

SurrealFantasy thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 9 years ago

Originally posted by: paru_rox

Finally got around to reading this Ne ...only to regret not having done so earlier.

Gripping, touching & humorous. Loved the RKB of your fiction ... the man of actions & words both 😳. Think I drooled all over your first chapter ...doubt you would mind though, after all its RKB we are talking about.

And really,  Rudolph the reindeer πŸ˜†

Can't wait to read the next part girl.

This is the RKB from before yaar. Who doesn't drool all over him?

Thanks so muchπŸ€—

Well - he wears night wear like it's Christmas everyday and Raman broke his nose. What better comparison? πŸ˜†
arshi21 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 4
Wow.
Wow.

I AM LOVING THIS! 

When will you update next? PLEASE update soon? PLEASE?

Richajin thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Plot is interesting.. Even I hate cheating partners.. and hate it more when the bad guy wins getting the money.. I know at the end the lead will get together but also don't ignore the wealth factor.. Nothing satisfies my senses than the mere thought that villains of the story loose everything even the money... Serves them right then only...
.SSSS. thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 3
Its interesting..,

Waiting to read more :)
SurrealFantasy thumbnail
Hola!
This chapter comes TOO late, I know. But real life has been a busy mess lately. For those in the unaware, I'm moving. Which also means that I have no idea when I'll have internet access again - new place, new people - the likes. So I'll be completely absent the next few days/weeks/month. Excuse my AWOL nature.

Miss me too. πŸ˜†

Anyhow, the song recommendation for this chapter - I've got four, but I'm gonna mention three and then the fourth shall be for the next chapter.

Somebody's Me - Enrique Iglesias

Ek Shaqs - Abhijeet Sawant

Gotta Be You - One Direction (I'm a boy band person sometimes. Sue me.)

PMs shall be sent later. Add me to your buddy list for PMs. 

Not beta-ed. And written in a hurry.

Shout-out to the people who PMed me asking me to update. You guys flatter me.😳

Not the best I've written - wanted to being in a lot more emotions, but lack of time got to me. Sorry for that. Don't know if this shall evoke some, if any, emotions in you guys!πŸ€”

SurrealFantasy thumbnail

Chapter -2

Yet Another Deal

"What do you mean you still couldn't find her?" Raman ran one hand through his hair, frustrated beyond belief, while his other hand was gripping the handle of his chair so tight, that he was sure he was losing all sensation in his hand.

The PI he had hired began to say something, but Raman's glower stopped him in his tracks. "This has been going on for two weeks, Mr. Singh. You still have no clues, and we're still stuck where we began." He closed his eyes, reining in the wearisome emotions engulfing him, and then sighed, "What about the last credit activity you found? It led to nothing?"

"Mr. Bhalla, her credit card was used a week ago at a market in the Firoza Lal area and I don't have to tell you that no one ever sees or hears anything in that area."

Raman's heart stilled for a second as he heard the name of the place - the place famous for its poor locality and slums. Here he was, sitting inside an air conditioned room in his office, brandishing Italian coffee and five-star food, while Ishita was probably living somewhere in penury.

Two weeks ago, at that fateful day in the courthouse parking lot, was the last time Ishita Bhalla had been seen. She hadn't been to her clinic and neither had she contacted her friends. Contacting Ashok was out of question, but his PI had arranged for men around his house, in case she decided to visit her house. So far, with no results.

How could she simply disappear like that? Not a single phone call, in fact her phone was switched off, not a single sighting of her car, nothing. The credit card activity was the last straw he was hanging on to, and even that had fallen flat. The feeling of despair was drowning him and he could feel his desperation turning into agony. The fact that he was the reason behind her disappearance and he was her culprit hanged around his neck like a noose. Tightening every second.

Disappointed and wanting to squeeze the life of someone before his own life gave way, he took a deep breath and opened his mouth to dismiss the investigator, but was interrupted by his phone ringing.

Rolling his eyes at the timing of the call, he picked up the phone answered.

"Is this Mr. Raman Kumar Bhalla?"

"Yes, this is he. Who is this?"

"Sir, I'm calling from Rhodes Medical Center. Your wife has been admitted to our hospital. Ishita Bhalla?"

Before the lady on the other side could finish her sentence, Raman was out of his chair and on the way to his car.

The repeated questions from his investigator went unanswered and his employees moved to the sides as Raman Kumar Bhalla all but ran to his car like a madman on a mission.

Somewhere between his office and the parking lot lay his heart.

He watched as she opened her eyes and looked around, trying to judge where she was. Her wandering eyes hit his form and a hazy and soft smile graced her face. His response to her smile was completely instinctive - a similar smile came onto his lips. Raman brought his hand to her face, his fingers barely grazing her skin, when she seemed to get her bearings back. Her smile disappeared and she flinched at his touch. Swallowing hard at the rejection, he tentatively brought his hand back to his side and just stared at her.

"Why am I here?" Ishita asked, her voice was clipped and grated. But it didn't matter to her companion, who breathed in a huge sigh and the frowns on his face disappeared on hearing her voice for the first time in weeks. It didn't matter that she was angry and disappointed at him. Nothing mattered. She was here and she was fine.

"You were severely dehydrated and fainted on the street today. Some people who saw the entire commotion brought you here," he answered, fighting really hard to not start blasting her for being ridiculously casual about her health.

She nodded, as though expecting the answer, which only served to make him angrier, but then asked, "Why are you here?"

"Because I am your husband," his reply was prompt and cavalier.

"Were," she corrected.

"Am. We aren't divorced yet," Raman answered, getting up from his place on the stool near her bedside and walking towards the side table.

Casually picking up a glass of water, he offered the glass to her and when she stubbornly looked the other way; he smirked to himself and drank it.

He waited a few seconds, knowing she would break from his years of experience as an interviewer and employer, controlling the urge to gather her in his arms and howl his apology.

He didn't have to wait for long, for his wife took only a few seconds before looking at him again and asking, "What do you want from me Raman? We are getting divorced. In a few months we'll be done with each other. Why can't you just let me live? Why do want to make me suffer?" Her voice broke towards the end and Raman closed his eyes against the anguish he saw in her eyes.

"I...I don't want a divorce anymore, Ishita."

"I do, Raman. Why are you back here? I was happy living my life without you these past weeks. Let's just go back. You wanted a divorce and I gave it to you. I'm done with you."

"I know you don't want to live with me again. I don't blame you. But...just give me a chance to explain."

He heard her angry outbreath and saw the disappointment on her face. "The time for talking was months ago when you threw those papers on my face and walked away. I refuse to let you treat me like dirt again. I want you to leave and not come back near me again."

Raman Bhalla knew his wife's quirks. Of course, he hadn't been able to relate the woman he had thought he had married and the woman he had actually married because of the obvious lies he had been fed. But now that he knew the truth, he knew exactly what to expect from her.

"That's too bad. Because we have six months together. Court warranted time, Ishita. And someone may have let it slip to the officials that we haven't been separated for a year."

Her gasp was audible and Raman looked away at the betrayed look on her face. "What do you mean?"

"Our divorce application was rejected." He kept his answer short and sweet.

The day after Ashok had spilled the beans about his sordid plans; Raman had met Neil and taken a decision. Seeing as to how to needed to at least be married for a year before they could seek divorce, they had waited before filing their application. They had however claimed to be living separately for the entire period as it had been mandatory for their divorce. That day though, the truth had been conveyed to the authorities and whether his wife knew it or not, they weren't getting divorced.

Not now. Not ever.

Raman Kumar Bhalla didn't make the same mistakes twice.

The shock on her face was evident as she opened her mouth to speak and then closed it a couple of times, on not finding any words.

"Wh..What? What do you mean?"

"We aren't getting divorced, Ishita." Raman fought hard to keep his composure at the disdain and confusion he could see in her eyes.

"Why? Why now? When it's a done deal? We are getting divorced," Ishita replied, refusing to believe that her husband was going to put her through more pain of being with him. Of being unloved and uncared for by him.

"Whatever floats your boat, Ishita. But the truth stands that we aren't getting a divorce. If you want, you can contest for divorce, but I'm not agreeing to anything."

He saw it on her face. The confusion being cleared and the entire status of their relationship settling in, in her eyes. But, he noticed sourly, the grimness remained.

"Why?" She refused to meet his eyes, staring a hole in the wall next to him. Refusing to let him see her weakness. "Why do you want to punish me even more, Raman?"

Unable to stop himself, he lowered himself onto the stool he had occupied a few seconds later and took her hand in his own. Ishita struggled for a few seconds, but on finding no respite from his strength, resigned herself to simply glaring at the wall.

He almost smiled at the defiance he saw on her face. Ishita was a people pleaser, someone who never fought with anyone, for anything. Seeing this bold streak in her personality was new, albeit a nice change. Then his expressions turned bleak.

"I made a mistake. I know you don't trust me. And I don't blame you for that. But I need a chance, honey. Just one chance to make this alright. To get you to forgive me. I know I've wronged you. Let me do right by you this time, Ishita. Just please, this one time." His voice was breaking and he knew that his desperation was reeking out of his words. But if she could just give him a way to give her the happiness she deserved, the desperation wouldn't matter. His weakness wouldn't matter.

"What were you punishing me for, Raman? Why did you drag me into a life with you if you didn't want me there in the first place? And then, when those report came..." an unexpected sob  choked her, as she forced herself to continue, "you threw me out like yesterday's garbage. How can I trust you?" She looked his way with that accusing look of hers, and Raman's own eyes glistened.

If she would just hit him, it would probably have made him feel better.

"Because you are Ishita. You are the one person who can make anything better just by smiling. You have a heart that knows only how to love, how to give, not to hate," he tightened his hold on her hand as he finished, "and because you didn't deserve any of the things that were thrown your way. You...I...please, Ishita. Don't make me guiltier than I already am. Give me a chance to show you the world you've always dreamed of."

She shook her head and said, "I'm not that Ishita anymore, Raman. That nave girl who idolized you died the day you threw those papers on her. That all-heart woman who loved you faded away when you made her realize that you were with her only for a child. I can't be that woman again. I can't kill my self-respect even more by letting you grind me to dust again. Please, Raman. Just let go."

Just let go. The words resonated in his ears as he stared at her pained face. If that was all he had to do to get her to smile again, to look alive again, he would have. But, Raman had always been selfish. He wanted her to smile, but when she said his name. He wanted her to smile and light up, but when she saw him in front of her.

If love had taught him something, it was that sometimes, one had to be selfish. And if fighting for one's love was selfish, he would be the most self-seeking man to have ever walked on this earth.

"I can't. I can't let you go. A chance is all I ask, Ishita."

"You haven't answered my questions yet. Why were you..."

"Not right now. Not today. When the right moment comes, I'll tell you, love. Don't ask me for something I can't give you now, Ishita. Please. Just trust me"

"I don't understand you at all. Fine. Don't give me any answers. You want to pretend some more with this sham of a marriage. Go ahead. But it's going to be a waste of time Raman. I can't trust you. Ever again."

A tear escaped her eyes as she ended her statement and she closed her eyes to hold the rest, missing the single tear that ran down her husband's cheek.

"I know, sweetheart. I know. But I'll make it my life's goal to make you believe in me again. Because I've tried living without you, and that wasn't living. I won't let either of us go through that again.

As sobs wrecked Ishita's body, all Raman could do was hold onto her hand and watch her helplessly. He wanted to do more to comfort her, but he knew he had lost that position in her life all due to his own stupid actions.

Raman watched with glassy eyes as his wife fell into a restless sleep, tired with the physical and mental exertion she had gone thrown, refusing to let go of her hand. Assured of her slumber, he forced himself to calm down. Nothing had been resolved. She hadn't accepted his apology - not that he expected her to. A lot more explanations, a lot more truths, and a lot more care and love was needed to heal not just her, but their relationship. It was going to take a lot more work than a few pleas of forgiveness. It was a good thing that Raman Kumar Bhalla didn't tire easily.

He watched her sleep for a few more minutes, taking in the calm on her face and using his fingers to get rid of the wrinkles on her forehead. Brushing her hair back from her face, he placed a tender kiss on her forehead, and then slept with his head on his hand, sitting on that stool by his wife's bedside.

They may have slept many a nights together on the same bed, sometimes, after making love for hours. But, it was the first time Raman and Ishita spent a night holding each other's hands.

"I don't love you anymore", she whispered. "I don't love you at all." His throat closed. "It's all right, sweetheart. I love you enough for both of us." 
 Susan Elizabeth PhillipsKiss an Angel

Edited by SurrealFantasy - 9 years ago
shravani_2311 thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3
amazng update...
beautifully written...
waiting fr next...
Anum_says thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Networker 2 Thumbnail
its superbbb.. interesting.. pm me when u update
Hsp.canada thumbnail
very well written! I had read Unwanted Wife a while ago...I had enjoyed that book ..now I am enjoying your story. Loved the last line from SEP. I really enjoy her books and I have had a privilege to meet her. She is funny and cool. Looking forward to the next part.
All the best for your move!!
RomComFan thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Networker 2 Thumbnail
Nehaaa!  πŸ€—

This is beautiful!  So beautiful... I don't know why you are so modest but you shouldn't be.😊

Loved the way you described the search and his guilt... and the way he spoke to her, equal parts guilt, love and desperation...  and her sense of loss and hopelessness... well done.πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘
The last line is absolutely beautiful... if this is what happens when you pen something down fast I say just do that more often .  πŸ˜‰

PS:  Thanks for the mood music suggestion
PPS:  SEP and especially KAA... you know how I feel about that right?  *sigh*  Going to go pick that up again tonight, you've made me nostalgic...

Your update and the KAA quote just tipped me over the uber romantic edge...  

Edited by RomComFan - 9 years ago