Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

sarahehsan thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 9 years ago

Originally posted by: tomriddle

Tang, loved your post on the previous page. I really admire you girl, If AHF makes me relive IPKKND, your post made me live AHF again. But I hope Aman's MIA doesn't go the IPK way. I am too scared at the moment. Aman, have mercy. COme out with that update already!

Riddle..! πŸ€— That's such a lovely this to say. Even though I really know what all I've written(Pshht), you make me feel like.. Well, 'sif I'd written an update..! πŸ˜† Thankoo! πŸ˜› And don't ya worry sistah, I won't let Mathur's brain even think of directing in that direction.  πŸ˜Š

Mathur, you're needed. We need you to be present here. And on AKR. And everywhere, love. We can't do without you talking incessantly and spreading gyaan. IPK-based or otherwise. Please come soon and tell us what's keeping you from paying a visit, atleast? No pitaayi, rest assured. That'd probably calm our nerves. 
sarahehsan thumbnail

Originally posted by: Arshi67

Amu, Tang, Yashi,  uss se yaad na hamari aayi 
Kissi se ab kya kehna  πŸ˜­

Dil roya ke ankh bhar aayi.. Tune achhi dosti nibhaayi, kisise ab kaa kahee, Nand Kissore! πŸ˜’
cineraria thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3

Originally posted by: amus5

Looks like tom's  danda didnt work...panditji's mahurat just passed by uneventfully...Ruchi's and my stopwatch simply ran out but a fluke of an update of A hundred Flukes is hard to come - by ... *sigh* πŸ˜­

I have read and re-read even sarah's last comment just to stay tuned to AHF and reminisce it but still an update is what   I NEED   ... 

Originally posted by: Arshi67

Amu, Tang, Yashi,  uss se yaad na hamari aayi 
Kissi se ab kya kehna  πŸ˜­

Oyi maa the danda hit me bad. πŸ˜­  Oye yaras, Xtremely saarry. I wuz out of order. Mom got frustrated with me and the time I spent bent over my Kabooter screen and hence she took it away. And then I was out of town. And then my block didn't help either.

Thank you so much my dazzling, rocking, golden (and about to) girls. Without your love, support, encouragement and this adorable Dharna my life wouldn't be worth living. 😳  (Haiyin, overacting much). Chalo life toh is worth living anyway, but behenas it wouldn't be this bootiphul. I love you all. Love you. Muah. (Kissi wala, not the Mua in Hindi) πŸ€—  πŸ€— πŸ€—

Edited by cineraria - 9 years ago
cineraria thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3

Oh my dearies, lovelies. πŸ€—    

First, I am really really  This update got delayed for reasons beyond me, but the biggest one being a post hiatus creative block. I sat staring for hours unable to decide what to write, trust me writing WABMM is a lot easier than writing AHF, there I just spew random junk in rhetoric, here I need to think sensibly and that alone is the most daunting task for yours truly. But now that my block has cleared, I promise regular weekly updates.

Thank you so much all of you for your patience and perseverance and love. And the absolutely lovely comments you left for AHF. All of them so heartening. 

Now that it's high time I shut up, I leave you with Epoch. The chapter isn't dramatic but is all about perceptions that the characters believe in.  

------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter 37: Epoch

Words- a hundred words whose etymology could only be traced to Urban Dictionary sat restlessly over her tongue waiting for their release as she saw the older woman leaving her door with slightly slumped shoulders. But the release never came. She did not care about the other, the plumper of the two hurrying out nor did she notice the slump in the former, she merely stood there staring at their retreating backs while waiting for Payal to shut the door as the Raizadas moved out. It suddenly felt like losing a dear relative, she did not understand why. Her acquaintance with Anjali had been short, Khushi had hoped only for fond memories out of it; this hope too now lay trampled upon along with many others.

----~---

She mechanically got the clothes off the drying line and dumped them on her bed. Payal picked each and folded and made out separate piles, the kind of mundane things she did with panache. She muttered about never having expected this from Anjali and how all the Raizadas were alike, delivering the harangue that generally had the younger sister's stamp over it. And hence Khushi quietly dropped herself on the bed over the piles of folded clothes that Payal had just made, earning a severe glare from her elder sister but she was far from caring. She thought of the condition that she had lain before Anjali upon agreeing to take the job offered. "You'd make sure I never have to cross paths with your brother."     

It was somewhat an unrealistic demand, Khushi knew it but at least it could buy her a few days' time. Maybe she'd be saved from coming under his scrutiny on the very first day of her job and hand him gift wrapped another opportunity to poke at her pride. She puzzled over this uncanny game of fate to drop her time and again under his radar, no matter how hard she tried to avoid him. She had heard Shah Rukh Khan say in his movie about Universe conspiring to give you that one thing you desired with all your heart, she also remembered Payal telling her that the dialogue was ripped from some bestselling book, she wanted to ring them both and tell them they were fundamentally wrong while endorsing such wishful optimism, that in her life the Universe seemed to conspire against her and land her at the mercy of one man she despised with all her heart. Or did she?  

She immediately turned the switch off from that stray thought and instead tried to remember the name of that something-chemist book whose author apparently had many Os in his name. For rest of the day, she kept switching between thoughts. Her talent of making excessive use of her mouth went on a vacation for once.

The morning after...

She studied the woman with seemingly infinite length of toned legs that rested on the table in front of her. Her head thrown back and expensively glossed lips curled in severe reproof. Her perfectness was intimidating. She was everything, Khushi was not.

It gave Khushi a certain sense of triumph this morning that Lavanya Kashyap possibly lacked in a department that she veritably headed. And this was the very reason she was standing here, trying to make her see things her way as part of her new job. Her blazing attire complete with thirteen pompoms looked sprightlier as she put forth eloquently, "If you touch her feet every morning seeking her blessings instead of a curt good morning, she'd like it better." She explained.

"What makes you think that good mornings are curt?" Lavanya argued, her brows scrunching together.

"I think they are too formal." Khushi supplied.

"And touching feet isn't? Why not just hug her every morning?" Lavanya continued filing her nails, the notion of this chit of a girl monitoring her actions seemed more unsavory with every passing minute. "Do you touch your parents' feet every day?" she said as though it aroused revulsion.  

"No, only occasionally." Khushi replied tentatively, trying hard to remember the last time she had, "We share hugs more often. Every day, when we are together." Lavanya looked at her strangely, as if expecting her to elaborate.

"You know, every family works in a different way." She supplied as an explanation.

"You mean Naniji is the kind to appreciate touching feet more than a warm hug? Isn't it a little conceited?" She wanted to stretch the argument, poke holes into theories and basically tell Khushi that she was not required here.

"Have you ever given her that? I mean a warm hug." Khushi asked innocently.

Lavanya appeared flustered, "No...never saw anybody here do that."

"Why don't you be the first then?" she said excitedly making a single jump.  Lavanya eyed the younger woman's changed demeanor quizzically then shrugged maybe'. 

She eyed the mix with derision, it smelled of desi ghee, saffron and cardamom. It smelled of calories. It smelled delicious. She stared absently at the expert hands working on the mix in the vessel, the spatula roving around and spreading it over and over, she was admittedly lost in the metaphor of sundry ingredients in crumbs put together and forming one uniform concoction.

"Thanks Khushi, but you didn't have to do this." Anjali's soft voice from another corner of the kitchen made her spring forward from her sitting position on the kitchen counter. Lavanya hadn't realized when she had gotten herself perched on it while watching Khushi just like she used to as an eight year old watch her nanny cook. When nanny died, her interest in watching someone cook died with her.

"It's okay Anjaliji, I like making laddus for occasions." She replied in a strained but polite voice. An expression that summed to remorse crossed Anjali's face.

"I am sorry Khushi, for yesterday. For pressurizing you the way I did." She spoke tentatively.

Khushi turned off the stove and held the Kadhai from its handles using a cloth, placing it on the kitchen island. "It's okay, really, don't embarrass me with your apology."

Anjali came forward and cupped her cheeks in her palms, "If you have forgiven me then come to Nani's room when you both are done. I'll be there, waiting for the two of you." She said smiling kindly and left.

"What do we do with this?" Lavanya asked pointing the cooling mixture that Khushi had transferred to a large platter, once Anjali had left the two.

"We roll them into balls, wait I'll show you, it's pretty simple, take as much mixture as about fills half of your fist then bring your fingers together..." she was excited all over again.

"No thanks. I am not interested." The laddu instruction set was dismissed with a churlish snort as she fixated her eyes back on her phone screen.

"You can at least try." Khushi urged obstinately, "Everyone would feel nice if you try to participate in..., you know, customs, and this is for Rakhsha Bandhan tomorrow."  Lavanya rolled her eyes.

"Why do you hate traditional things so much?" Khushi couldn't stop the question roll out of her tongue.

"I don't hate them, not at all. They are just cumbersome." She said nonchalantly not caring to look up from her phone screen.

Khushi balled the first laddu in her fist and placed it carefully towards the outer side of the dish clearing space for more. "There is no harm in going out of our way a couple of times for the happiness of those we love. I can't be thinking about myself and my likes all the time." She said, the last line being more of a retort.

Lavanya looked up from the screen with a jerk and narrowed her eyes on Khushi, "Why else do you think Ms. Glitters I am putting up with you?" she said breathing out harshly, loftily shrugging back the black curls falling on her shoulders.

She was reminded of her mother and the folding cot put out under the Neem tree where lazy winter afternoons slipped into memories full of fairy tales her mother spun daily for her, empty peanut shells littering the bricked ground of the courtyard, the taste of peanuts, five at a time in her mouth and the cooing pigeons laboring for a badly put together nest; at the sight of Anjali sitting with folded knees on a plush Kashmiri carpet and her head resting in her grandmother's lap just as her would in her mother's. Devyani's fingers combed her hair soothingly, something her mother too did, quite often.

The anomaly being, in place of strewn empty peanut shells, laid vibrant, colorful silken threads - Amaranth red, saffron and yellow along with miscellany of shiny beads.

"Come Khushi, Lavanya we were waiting for you two." Anjali's head sprung from her position at their sight and her voice brought Khushi back from Lucknow to Delhi in a millisecond. She turned and saw Lavanya behind her, her eyes hesitant and questioning.

"Namaste Naniji." She smiled folding her palms as she walked inside and bent to touch her feet as "student's" eyes followed her. She motioned Lavanya to do the same. Devyani's smile disappeared behind a little frown. Lavanya came to her timidly and gave her an awkward side hug. Devyani tilted her head upwards to see her first in surprise and then gave her an equally awkward smile, the frown between her eyes intact.

Baby Steps. Anjali's heart cheered.

Khushi's eyes came back to the objects lying near Anjali's lap as she sat cross legged on the carpet, from the corner of her eye she saw Lavanya, sighing, pulling her dress and sitting beside her in again, an awkward position, she stifled a chuckle and sobered immediately upon meeting a glare thrown her way from her left.

"Anjali bitiya never buys Rakhis, she makes her own." The eldest woman told, patting her granddaughters head affectionately and with a hint of pride. Khushi found it surprising, especially after the let down of day before, she had surmised Anjali as an elite socialite and perhaps as pragmatic and shrewd as her brother in reality. That the endearment she had shown for her primarily was the general way she behaved with people and that for her, festivals and celebrations were nothing beyond clicking pictures and uploading them on Twitter. Watching her work intricately with silken threads, and a totally unpretentious smile on her lips, tugged at her heart and forced her to throw the recently formed opinions to the nearest dustbin and revert to feel the same way she felt when she had met Anjali first.

"The laddus smell really nice bitiya, you made them?" Asked Devyani reminding Khushi about the platter she had brought along, and her unfinished task of balling laddus. "Ji Naniji." She smiled.

"They remind me of a time long ago, of my youth when I was in Lucknow, there was a little shop in a narrow lane behind my house, called Ram Asrey, my Babuji brought the same motichoor ke laddu for all festive occasions." The old woman recalled staring at nothing particular on the ceiling, "Last I heard, Ram Asrey is a huge sellar of sweets now, with several branches over many cities." She laughed shaking her head; "how time flies..." she said the last part almost to herself, the light in her eyes giving way to sudden emptiness.

Time did fly for the next couple of hours, Khushi realized as her hands, ears and mouth worked tirelessly. She heard stories, from Devyani, from Anjali, of many the Raksha Bandhans passed, there were several mentions of Arnav...

"He would keep his pocket money aside, in that piggy bank mama had brought him. He wouldn't let any of us near it, not even me." Anjali said between her laughs animatedly pointing her index finger at her chest, "you know even his Di, such a money minded little nipper, we all teased him, called him skinflint and all." She waved her hand in air, "but you know all this while he'd be saving all his pocket money to buy me a gift for Rakhi. He wouldn't spend a single penny on himself, such is my Chotte." She declared in adoration.

"I envy you Di." Lavanya averred, "You get all his attention." She added giggling making light of it.

"Well, well." Anjali shrugged in mock conceit and then grinned widely, "seems like someone is having a hard time believing it, Khushi sweet heart, close your mouth." Khushi shut her mouth immediately feeling a little embarrassed and acutely confused, Arnav Singh Raizada served with altruism? An unpalatable dish!

She hadn't realized when the focus had shifted to her from Anjali, she never had a brother. Buaji was the closest kin and she had no children, and then there was Durga Mausi with three daughters: Lakshmi, Saraswati and Parvati, she couldn't possibly tie them Rakhis. So it had been the helpers at Satvik Mishtaan Bhandaar, together she and Payal would buy a dozen Rakhis and tie them on all the helpers, they'd in turn give the girls coins of one, two and five ruppees and sometimes the crispiest note. But Khushi preferred coins, she'll put them in a steel container and shake it rejoicing in the sonorous ringing sound they made while she lay in the folding cot. The next day, she'd roam around the Bazaar buying churan golis, chanas, tiny glass bangles and other trinkets till she'd run out of money. Then she'd go to her sister pouting making the most pitiable face and Payal would give her, her own share knowing well that the bangles that Khushi bought were always a size larger than what fit her. They were bought for Payal.

Had she said all that, she thought as she found the three others listening to her with rapt attention. And just like that all the gazes were transferred to Lavanya, expecting her to recount her share of Rakhi memories. She looked reluctant, "Well, I don't have much to share. I am the only child of my parents but had a few cousins. They used to come over and Mom and Dad made me tie them Rakhis, later we lost touch. I don't know where they are now." She shrugged. She looked up at Devyani and sighed, a frown enhancing her wrinkles was there on her face again. She shifted her gaze to the platter; atop the perfectly round spheres of motichoor sat one deformed, misshaped ball of laddu that seemed to fall apart, she grimaced, it was the one her hands had involuntarily made.

"Crackerjack Raizada", "Jackass Raizada." "Smart-arse". "Asshole". Unsurprising branding judgments albeit murmured surreptitiously fell on impervious ears; the media questionnaire was rewarded with his terse and Aman's adroit replies. Arnav made it clear that he just about tolerated the press conference for it could be grist to his mill. The world ought to know that AR had overtaken its greatest rival of two years, Babylons, Inc. and clear the air about the belligerent last meeting of shareholders.

After the stakes and equity purchases had been evaluated, he was found walking back towards his cabin, his gait that of the assertive achiever, his face bored of expression, his heart that of a restless kid who had broken his lucky bat before the final match. The excited voice of the bespectacled intern played in his head again, "I can learn many things from ASR, but how will I emulate his passion for work?"

Passion for work? He let out a humorless chuckle, Passion for sovereignty was more like it, lust for dominance, even better. The bottom line being lust, for passion had been killed and its corpse callously disposed with the camera that showed world in optimistic colors and its sticky hopeful reel. When Business journals and stock market figures supplanted Shelly, Keats and Wordsworth.

He ran his long, lean fingers along the spine of one such specimen on his bookshelf with cold detachment and then thumbed for the remote control, upon lightly pressing a switch, door to a wooden shelf slid open revealing paper stalagmites. He reached for the one he was looking for but drawing it out accompanied an old file dropping to ground in its wake. He raked through its contents and winced. The old newspaper cuttings that he had kept stared at him.

Sushil Kumar Mishra, as resoundingly clear the name was, the face of its bearer seemed equally blurred by the mist of intervening years. But he remembered smiling lips beneath a thin moustache. He also remembered Shanti, a woman with kind eyes and a tiny tot that accompanied her whenever she came to visit his mother. What did they call her? He felt his mind strain to recall the child's name and before he could stop, the siege of memories rendered him helpless in face of it.

"Chutki, is that even a name?" the nine year old boy sneered above the open book standing in his hands. The three year old subject of his amusement squared her shoulders bravely. It was then he noticed the bright florescent pink frock, he must have seen sometime in his sister's cupboard. He wasn't surprised though, he just grinned, he would not tell this to her and break her heart. She appeared besotted with the dress, he could make out from the way she had held the sides of the hemline daintily like a baby Disney princess and twirled showing it to his mother in the morning. He had been a quiet and amused witness.   

"Because I am small, but you are so big! What sort of a name is Chotayyye." She sqeaked.

That snapped him, "You won't speak to me like that, I am bigger than you."

She stuck out her tongue.

"By the way, the frock you are wearing is Anjali Di's old stuff that she no longer uses." He couldn't stop from letting it out, but regretted immediately as he saw her shoulders droop and eyes widen with sadness.

"No, Amma got it for me, you lying." She said quietly.

"What? Why would I lie?"

She opened her mouth to say something but her mother's anguished sound stopped her, "Chutki, you are here! Hey Devi Maiyya I searched you everywhere in the house." She took the child in her arms, "Oh Arnav, I hope my blabber mouth did not disturb you, you were reading weren't you?"

"Oh Shanti Chotte loves to flaunt, but I know how much he really studies." His mother said laughing as she entered his room.

"Ma, this is not true." he shot back, pretending to be hurt. "I am in fourth standard; I get a lot of homework."

"Oh and that's why you tore pages where your hindi teacher had put a note of your illegible handwriting from your notebook and made paper planes of them?"

"Haww" the little girl said. Arnav glared, turning red with embarrassment.

"Anyway. Shanti let's go and since Anjali is out for her friend's birthday, I am sure Arnav will take care of Chutki."

"No." Arnav protested against the idea.

"Yes, you will, you will show Chutki all your toys and share your candies with her. Mama and Shati aunty will be back in two hours."

"Beta, please don't allow her to go out of your room, Sheesh Mahal is too big for her, she'll get lost again and hurt herself." Said Shanti.

"Do you like candies?" he asked her when the women had left.

"Umm I like jelaybee more." She said thoughtfully.

"What's jee-lay-bee?" he asked curiously.

The recollection of straggly drawn spirals with an orange crayon at the last page of his notebook ruffled time's freshly fallen moments.

"Now don't ask me what this is. These are called jalebis Mr. Raizada."  She had said as part of her jabber while offering him the dish.

Arnav turned splenetic at the footling parallels between that obscure Chutki and Khushi Kumari Gupta, his brain had drawn.  The old file was shut with force and placed among the confidential documents rendered useless by time and to be burned. Why he had even maintained such a file in first place, certainly in his vengeful fits, he decided. He didn't want any of those now, old memories were a flotsam, he'd rather have them submerged.   

And new ones made. He checked his watch, 6: 40 PM, the party to celebrate the acquisition of Babylons. Inc was scheduled at 8:00 at Hyatt Regency , he had to inform Lavanya and pick her up from home. Her phone went unanswered, as he dialed impatiently about three times while walking over to the parking lot. And now she'd have cheesy kinks of the sorts, Ooh ASR why didn't you tell me before, you had planned to surprise me! He suppressed the urge to mimic her as he sat in the driving seat, he was that bored.  

"Where's Lavanya", he inquired handing his bag and coat to the servant.

"Kitchen." Was the surprising response.

He sauntered with a precise step and reached the place where she was expected. He still did not understand her need to comply with his grandmother's expectations, she wasn't his wife. But he wouldn't deny, her attempts had made him witness a new side altogether of Lavanya Kashyap, not that it had changed his entire perception of her, but it had certainly made him respect her a bit more than he formerly did. He would be lying if he claimed to be serious about her, but he won't be lying if he said he'd prefer Kashyap over a thousand other women if he were ever to be serious about a relationship.

He found her, not quite clearly as her silhouette seemed to bend in a dark corner. But who else could it be, not Di of course, she was engrossed with her tab and twitteratti. "Lavanya." He said softly and felt the woman stiffen. In two steps he was right behind her and could hear her inhale deeply, he snaked his arms around her waist, "I called y..." He felt electricity jolt through his body. The lithe form was not that of his girlfriend. This one felt just like he had imagined... he heard a suppressed squeal of surprise and immediately withdrew his hands and reached for the light switch he knew just above.

It blinded her with consternation.

He turned rigid. "You." He exclaimed in absolute amazement.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Remember Promo 4 anyone? πŸ˜‰ 

mayurisb80 thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
Missed you out here...and good to see you back with a bang...
And a beautiful update I loved chotey and chutki. ..😊
luvbug thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
wohooo u r back and with a bang!!!
wat alovely update...loved the moments when ladies/girls shared their stories abt raksha bandhan..

oh so arnav n khushi had met when they were kids... awww tht was so cute :) jalayebee :D

so arnav already is trying to compare khushi with chutki ..chooo chweet
eagerly waiting for the next!!!
Edited by luvbug - 9 years ago
-ChildOfChrist- thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
Loved the update!
So Arnav and Khushi have met before in their childhood
Update soon!
P.S. Can you please PM me whenever you update? (if you don't mind)
sarahehsan thumbnail

Finally..! Phew..! 

Reserved! πŸ˜‰
Arshi67 thumbnail

Will be back when I recover...
prpk525 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
Loved the update. Chutki n chottay!