Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

cineraria thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 9 years ago

Originally posted by: mayurisb80

Oh I have enjoyed the way the story is going with all details ...can't wait to see all new things you have in store for us

I am so glad that you liked it so far. It is pretty much the same isn't it? 
But yeah, I intend to introduce some tweaks. For instance my Anjali will not be seen holding a pooja thali forever. I mean one can be religious and god fearing without keeping fasts every second day. I guess her list of fasts should be over by Teej. Also she has an NGO, so isn't completely jobless too.  

Thank you so much for your comment. πŸ˜Š
Edited by cineraria - 9 years ago
cineraria thumbnail

Chapter 7: Twenty Five Thousand

Note: And begins the famous you owe me... did anyone count by the end of the show how much money did Khushi owe Mr. ASR? Here's chapter 7 for you, I re-watched a couple of episodes, a little family time this chapter. You guys read on till I look for that fu***ng calculator of mine. Urrrgh. 

"HOW DARE YOU DO THAT ?" Khushi found the words coming out of her mouth, "Tell me Mr. Raizada, if you have any grey matter in your top story, you should have known how damaging your actions can be, especially for a girl." she rebuked him in a high pitch.

"What? Damage you? The only thing damaged here is my damn car." he shot back fuming.

"That damage can be repaired, but the damage you have done to me cannot be made up for, Mr. Raizada you have nearly ruined me." she said her voice turning hoarse.

"So you are ruining my day? Do you have any idea how expensive this car is? If I had to put a price for your entire life, it won't be remotely close to that of my car."

"What are you made of? You mean, you are comparing a living human with this car?"

ASR narrowed his eyes, "I don't get this, first at the couture, then at the dargaha and now here in Delhi, I see you; all of this cannot be a coincidence. Tell me, are you following me or something?"

"Follow you? Why would I follow you?" she asked surprised.

"You want me to spell it, c'mon you are not that naive. Apparently, you are trying to trap me to get money out of me, you seem to be in need of some."

"Again money? Listen mister I have no interest in you or your dirty money, there is a world beyond money. But if that's the only language you understand, then be it, I am gonna talk money. I'll pay now for your damaged car. Say how much?" she said rummaging through her tote bag.

"Twenty five thousand for the dent." he said wryly. Her eyes popped out. He turned towards the door of his car, a few vehicles honked.

"Wait, I will pay you when I have that amount with me."

He turned to face her, a smirk on face, "that was not even the starting price to deserve an argument with Arnav Singh Raizada, you are way past yourself miss." The signal turned green, the traffic cop rushed towards them as the other cars violently honked their horns. ASR shoved a thousand rupee note into her hand, "get your mirror fixed and a return ticket to Lucknow with what remains. Bloody gold digger", he cursed as he swiftly sat back in his car. The traffic cop stood in front of his car. He showed him two crisp thousand rupee notes, the cop grinned wide, "this way sahib" he directed him out of the melee of vehicles. Khushi too tried to move in the direction, another cop stopped her, "oye, where?" Mimicking Arnav's action, she shoved the newly acquired bucks into his hand, he glared at her, "trying to bribe me?"  "N...no sir, it just fell from my hands...I need to get, oh my god, please my aunt is dyeing, I have to get to the medical store." she let out a shrill sound. "Okay go now..." the cop grunted, pocketing the note. Khushi zoomed towards a large red plus sign board across the road. She stopped just at the counter. "Hello miss, breaks failed or what?" the chemist gazed at her. "One asthma pump please, quick." she panted. "You seem to be in need of one." sighed the chemist and produced a box. "150 for this". She took the box and placed the money and turned to leave only to be faced with...

"What have you been doing with my scooter?" inquired the angry stout surd standing in front of her. Khushi froze, "sorry sir, I did not steal, my aunt had an asthma attack, I couldn't find any other..." she replied with earnest sincerity.

The surd's face softened at that. "It's okay lassie, Bedi's scooter, public scooter, where is your aunt?"

"She's at the metro station, oh my god I need to hurry." she cried raising the broken rear view mirror.

"Oye, broken?" he cried appearing more broken than the mirror at the moment. "Never mind as long as you are fine lassie everything is fine, hop in the carrier I'll fly you to your aunt."

"Thank you so much sir." Khushi exclaimed jumping into the carrier. Bedi took off for the station. "Where do you live sweet girl?" he shouted over the traffic roar. "My bua resides at Lakshmi Nagar" she too shouted. The surd beamed at her. "What a coincidence, I live there too, I run a car repair garage, who is your bua?"

"She's called Madhumati." Khushi yelled.

"What, you are Madhumatiji's niece?" The surd beamed further and then his nose turned red and cheeks turned pink. Khushi had never seen anyone blush at the mention of Madhumati, not even her own husband, let alone a strange surd. "I really like your bua", Bedi said somewhat shy, "but she has a bad temper."

"Oh yes, I call her a pressure cooker."

The scooter screeched to a halt at the metro station's ascent. Madhumati was standing upright at the stairs, clutching an inhaler with one hand and holding her long braid with the other, fuming. "Where did you fly nincompoop? We missed two Vaishali bound trains because of you." she enlarged her eyes, glaring at Khushi. Khushi held up the inhaler in her hand like a trophy, "I got this." she said and saw one in Madhumati's hand, "who gave that pump to you?" she asked looking confused. Madhumati stomped her foot loudly and growled, "I always keep one in my bag, only if you could take the pains of proper search but no, when the goddess of eccentricity decides to fly away, can anyone stop her."

"I didn't go away buaji, look whom I met on my way, Bedi uncle - our neighbor." Khushi said gesturing towards the surd.

"Uncle!" Madhumati scoffed, "which uncle? whose uncle? what uncle? Haye re nandkissore, look at this girl, barely five minutes in the city and she already has relatives."

Bedi looked at Khushi, "sweetie, why is she a pressure cooker?"

"She'd be cool after the steam let-off." said Khushi shrugging.

For Sitaram Tyagi - the head guard on duty at the Raizada mansion for the evening, the duty hours were always sane, yet he very often misplaced the remote that controlled the opening and closing of the parking area gates. But he was never perturbed as the sahib who came home in the evening was pretty lenient. For that matter Akash Singh Raizada would step down from his blue Mercedes and join him in the hunt, "Hey Sitey, you need me to track the remote for you?", he'd ask.

What Sitaram beheld tonight yanked him into a frenzied attempt to find the remote. He perspired profusely at the sight of the speeding BMW, either he should be able to open the gate or he'd be fired from the two and a half years of service. Unable to locate the gizmo, Sitaram flung himself at the gate pillar, pulled up a small shutter and applied all his bodily force in pressing a hard button. There was a short beep and the gates opened just in time for the BMW to pass through, closely followed by the usual Mercedes. The driver of the Mercedes whistled at him. Sitaram wiped the sweat on his forehead with a handkerchief and heaved a sigh of relief.

The driver of the Mercedes honked incessantly at the BMW. ASR grunted, got out and shot his brother a sharp look, "what's the big idea?", he said frowning. Akash grinned behind the steering wheel, "Seems like somebody forgot to honk in the first place.", he said stepping out of his car and pointing at the dent. "You are usually a very safe driver bhai, whatever happened?"

"Should it matter however safe you drive when there are lunatics strolling on the road?". Arnav looked baffled for a moment and then said almost to himself, "I can't believe I met that silly girl again."

"What girl?" asked Akash.

"Did I say something?" said Arnav sounding lost.

"I think so."

"Never mind." said Arnav turning on his heels to walk away. Akash had never seen his brother behave that way. "A girl who has apparently dented your brain." he chuckled.

"Chote has come." Devyani Raizada ran towards the drawing room in excitement and then slowed her steps, sat in the sofa, picked up a magazine and pretended to read as the two brothers came in. "Hi Daadi." said Akash bending down to touch Devyani's feet. Arnav repeated the same, though with a slight hesitation. He didn't quite fathom the significance of touching feet. "Akash, I have a little task for you." she said.

"And what should it be?"

"Will you please find Laxmi for me, haven't seen her the entire day." She said, her wrinkles pronounced all the more.

"Sure, unless she has become invisible."

Arnav took the clue, she had deliberately sent Akash away. He began to walk in the other direction when..."Wait, Arnav, I think I need to have a word with you." she looked at him straight. Arnav tried to avert her eyes for a moment and then said, in his politest tone, "How was your trip Nani? I hope you were comfortable."

"I was on a pilgrimage Arnav and that cuts out on comfort." she said firmly, "but this time I went there specially for you."

"For me?"

"You have excelled in your professional life and I admire you for that but there is more to life than just career. A man isn't made purely of his achievements, he requires personal growth as well." Arnav stared at her. She smiled, "Son, I don't expect you to live by my ideals, but I pray to god that let not your pace consume your being."

"What am I supposed to infer from this Nani?" he asked.

"I hope that you understand the difference between man and machine. I want you to live like a man. I want you to think about your life, your future which is, apart from your business. Thats all I have to say to you."

"I'll consider that." he said, not quite meaning to.

Akash was sure there was one place where nobody would look for her. He called out her name from the kitchen store, a foolish looking head poked itself out from behind a wrought iron cabinet. "Got you." Akash had a victorious smile on his lips.

"Ma, can I help you in some way?" Mahendra Singh Raizada asked his puzzled mother. "Forget it Mahendra, I don't expect anything from you." Mahendra hung his head. After twenty six years of his marriage with Manorma, Devyani still maintained her reservations about them. Manorma came down for the pooja and walked towards her mother-in-law.

"Oh, my darling where have you been? How I missed you throughout my trip!" cried Devyani in ecstasy. Manorma stopped short in her tracks. How she had yearned to hear these words from her mother-in-law, but was gradually losing all hope and yet today, out of the blue, Devyani displayed affection for her! "Come give me a hug my dear." Devyani continued looking in her direction. Manorma spread out her arms to hug her, "but Ma, I was there with you for the trip." she said and stopped short again, her arms still spread.

Her white fleece nestled comfortably in Devyani's arms. "Mehehehehe." she bleated. "Of course I love you too Laxmi." Devyani exclaimed, patting her goat. She hadn't even noticed Manorma's presence.

Much to the dismay of her daughter-in-law, Devyani Raizada dotted on her odd pets. Mercifully she kept one at a time. Once she had bought a viper which had bitten two servants and also attacked Manorma (who by then was not a servant) before Arnav had it taken away. She then got three slimy turtles and named them Meena, Madhu and Rishabh. Akash was intrigued by how his grandmother decided upon the turtle gender. She then had a Chihuahua from Mexico, whom the family agreed on calling 'Chi-chi', apart from Arnav who simply referred to it as 'that dog'. Soon followed a cub whom Devyani named Dhananjay. Akash was convinced there could not be a more ridiculous name for a cub and instead called him Victor, Arnav on the other hand preferred 'that cub'.

The latest addition to the hysteria was her pet goat - The Laxmi.

Anjali balanced the two bags in one hand while hastily typing on her Note II from the other. "Stand where you are Akash." she instructed her brother and took his pic with her phone. "What was that for?" asked Akash.

"MJ's turning gay. He wanted me to send yours and Arnav's photo on whatsapp because he was missing you guys."

"C'mon di, he's your husband, how can you call him a gay?"

Anjali showed him the message on her phone screen:

MJ: I have no saalis so I fancy my saalas. :-)

"What else do you call it?" she asked.

"P.J."

"Hey wait, Akash I got this for you" she said handing him a carry bag of Fab India. "Wear it tomorrow."

"Kurta Pyjama? Sure Di." Akash smiled.

"Arnav..."she called out. Arnav approached her slowly, he looked at her face and tried to smile, but smile wasn't something that came easy to him and he didn't make much effort towards it. The distance between them since Anjali got married and the fact that she was not around him all the time, whenever he required her hadn't affected Anjali the way it had affected Arnav.

"Arnav, you know its Durgashtmi tomorrow, and I would love it if you come for the pooja wearing this." she gave him a white Kurta pajama with minimal embroidery at the collars.

"Oh god di, you know I don't wear this stuff. It'll be dumped in my unused collection. Why do bother yourself doing all this?"

"Just in the hope that you might surprise me one day and come for the pooja."

"And it's about time you realize that thats not happening."

"By the way this was MJ's choice, my choice isn't that plain".

Arnav went upstairs to his room and bolted the antique looking wooden framed door behind. He slid open the translucent glass door of his closet and dumped the kurta pajama in a huge rake in the second last drawer where about twenty unused pairs were stacked in a neat pile, the ones Anjali gifted him every year. Even the tags hadn't been removed.

He then took a quick shower and changed into a casual black T-shirt and khaki track pants. He walked towards the other side of the room and shifted the jade colored curtains with a grayish tinge to one side revealing an array of glass doors. He slid open one of them and entered the pool side attached with his bedroom. Half moon shined in the clear water of the swimming pool in the centre. Around it were hundreds of plants, creepers and shrubs, each of which he had planted and tended on his own.

There was an easy chair in a corner and a table. He placed his Mac Book Air on the table, sat in the chair and began reading his mails.

Anjali, as a custom, sent for a servant to call Arnav for the Navratra Pooja. The servant knocked at his door, knowing well the knock would not be answered. Ten minutes later the brief pooja was conducted, for which Arnav didn't make an appearance.

He did make an appearance though, at the dinner table. Devyani gazed happily at her grandchildren as Anjali served him stew. "Anjali, you should stay for a longer time here, at least we get to see Arnav's face in this house, which is rarer than the blue moon. Why is it only a few days respite for us?" said Devyani Raizada.

"I am sure, " began Arnav, "jiju would be wondering the same in Bombay - its only a few days respite." There was a round of laughter on the table. Anjali picked a tomato from the salad plate and threw at her brother, "I am not going to talk to you."

"The pleasure's all mine." said Arnav, smiling for the first time in that day.   

"The water supply is till 9:30 in the morning." announced Madhumati, "paste that in your brains," and then looking at Khushi, added, "if you have one."

"But why?" asked Khushi.

"Urrgh, you mother of 'why', because this is Lakshmi Nagar, not your Amma's home!"

"We have a jet pump there, why can't we have one here?"

"Because we have a hand pump here, in the middle of the street, you want to take a bath there?"

"Buaji, I wondered, " began Payal, "if we could call babuji and tell him we have reached here."

"Sure bitiya, anything." said Madhumati and then felt the pocket in her kurti, "A..brrr...you want to make an STD call?" she looked at Payal, praying she would reconsider that."

"Yes, bua." Just then the ancient land line rang. Madhumati picked up and sighed in relief, "Arre Sasi babua, we were about to call you. We are fine, talk to Payal."

"I will also talk." Khushi jumped.

"He's Payal's real father." spat Madhumati.

Khushi made a face, "blah..blah" and took the receiver from Payal, "hello Babuji..."

Madhumati showed the girls their room which badly required a broom and a mop. There was almost a centimeter thick layer of dust on the table. Mites flew all over the room when the girls brushed the bed sheet. Madhumati lived all alone in the house and never kept a maid. With growing age, she couldn't do all the cleaning of the house and hence had this room closed for many years. The cleaning took the girls a couple of hours while Khushi narrated to Payal her third encounter in a series with the same man.

"Twenty five thousand for the dent said that Anaconda Singh Raizada." she said sulking.

"One hundred and one." said Payal.

"What one hundred one?"

"That is the hundred and first name you have given him, you know, Anaconda, you are already past a century in calling him names."

PS: I really couldn't think of any other reason apart from Nani having the same pet fetish as Ruskin Bond's grandpa to explain the coexistence of humans and a goat.     

I'll update again in the evening. πŸ˜ƒ

Edited by cineraria - 9 years ago
Downhill thumbnail
simply amazing
loved it
one lovely update
loving the way the story is shaping up
cineraria thumbnail
My sincerest thanks to you and all the wonderful people here who come to read and give some more precious moments to stop, hit the like button and drop comments. Frankly I was really scared about this chapter, there is less Arshi and more family, but I felt every character has its own importance. I for one, loved the show not just for the romance but the beautiful portrayal of other relationships, especially the relationships shared by the siblings. Not only Arnav and Anjali but Khushi and Payal, and Arnav, Akash and Anjali as well. So thank you for your support. 
Also AHF might appear a straight lift from IPKKND for the initial chapters. But you'll find many changes in between. And later it will completely depart from the direction of progress of the original. I hope you guys will have patience till then. πŸ˜³
MOnamy11 thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Every chapter I read and I want to read more :-) please I don't want MJ to be that Shyam !
reeshree thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail
You write well. Waiting for the twists and deviations from the original. However, hope you retain Arnav's and Khushi's character same as in the show. I like it that Anjali is not overly religious and fasting and praying all the time. MJ as in Manohar Jha? 
mayurisb80 thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
i so look forward to your update...its too much fun and more drama in the way you have written this story up...
Breath-Mark thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 5
Just read all the chapters.

First of all, you did a great job in entailing a story with the original track of ipkknd.
Can't wait for it to be different. Hope Arnav khushi do remain in their respective characters as original show though.
MOnamy11 thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Hey where are you ? Waiting eagerly for the update :-)
cineraria thumbnail
Hi guys, first dearest IF did not allow me to post more than 10 posts in 24 hours given my damned Newbie status. I could neither update nor reply. And then I had to rush to Delhi which explain the one day hiatus. And now that I am back I'd be updating back to back. Thanks a lot for your patience and support. πŸ‘πŸΌ