Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

cineraria thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 9 years ago

Hello all, I am back. Chapter 3 served here, waiting to be garnished by your reads, likes (in case you approve) and comments (my life line)πŸ˜‰

Dirty - Chapter 3

He walked with heavy steps and a sunken heart towards the door. He had searched everywhere, treading the roads nearby on foot and then as told by Payal, took a taxi to Sheesh minar since his frail health did not permit the exertion of walking over long distances, but there were no signs of his daughter. Anywhere. He opened the door, his blank eyes fell on the old clock on the opposite wall which showed 1:30 at night. A disconcerted Shashi Gupta was further disheartened to see his wife sobbing holding on to the bedpost, his sister sitting in the dining table chair, holding her head in her palms, cursing. Payal sat pale and still in the opposite corner, "You didn't find her?" she brought her hands to her mouth.

Just then a scooter engine resounded in the courtyard. "Khushi..", Payal sprang from her chair, "No, you don't move" objected Garima and stormed towards the door in anger.

Khushi had wrapped her pink stole around herself like a serape. Still clutching on the file, she shambled with guilt laden steps in her lachrymose atmosphere. The sight of the extinguished havan-kund, the festive lights turned off, the vessels of untouched food and the crestfallen faces of the shop-workers made her feel miserable. "Now she comes.." taunted a neighbor from behind. Garima grabbed her arm, "Amma.." Khushi began, 

"Just shut up and come inside." Garima chided as she dragged her daughter in.

"You numbskull, dunderheaded clod." bellowed Madhumati, "satisfied atlast?"

"Jiji, atleast listen to what she has to say." Mr. Gupta interjected.

"No. That's your problem Shashi, you always defend her, had you spanked her hard when she was a child, we wouldn't have to see this day." she said fuming.

"Babuji, I thought I could help you..." Khushi tried to find her voice. "Do us a favor, don't think at all...every time you think, we all end up in deep trouble, what were you thinking of yourself that you were some TV serial heroin who could sort out all the problems alone?" said an exasperated Garima.

"I'd agree with your mother there Khushi, you could have at least consulted us before", Mr. Gupta said softly.

"What? Are you running consultancy services here? That lad is a junior engineer," Madhumati rounded her eyes upwards and lifted her head towards the ceiling- a gesture she assumed whenever she had to describe something grand (as per her), "their demands were genuine."

"Whats illegal can't be genuine." Khushi said quietly.

"And you are the city magistrate?" spat her mother.

"I told you Garima, the day you got this useless orphan of your sister home, I told you she'd be the doom for all of us." Madhumati growled.

"Enough jiji, not another word against my daughter," warned Shashi and then took Khushi's cold hands in his, "come my child, you must be hungry." Khushi could not reply to that, she had had her fill of reality today which was already way too much for her digestive system to handle.

The late night gibbous moon peeped through the curtain less barred window left wide open for the gentle breeze. But none of the sisters could sleep. For the past 3 months, everyone who met Payal told how her life would change after marriage. She was preparing for the UPSC exam scheduled for January the following year when they had found a match for her, the consequences of which had adversely affected her studies. She had been unable to clear the exam in her maiden attempt and chose to proceed with a change in subjects this time, but even history wasn't exactly a cake and with the entire wedding thing coming up, she had given up on administrative services all together. Her thoughts drifted to Abhishek, how differently he had behaved tonight from what she had known him to be. She had conceived of him as a simple, educated, shy small-town boy who had once told her how he was loath to have any sort of material expectation from his would-be in laws. And yet today he had hung his head and kept silent, didn't utter even a single word in her family's defense when his mother had let out a stream of invective. Waste, what an unqualified wastage of her precious time these months had been. 

On the other side of the bed was a disgruntled damsel whose thoughts swayed like a canoe tossed at a tide, each of which equally appalling in measure as the encounter with that bully of a man, okay less than that. She felt with her fingers the bump that had formed on her forehead due to incessant banging against the bedpost upon discovering the gross error committed on her part. Stupid. stupid. stupid, Sheesh minar not Sheesh Mahal, I should have known, the Mahal was too grand a place for the Sharma family and the 95 baratis from Mathura to afford a stay.

No matter how much Payal tried to convince her that she was happier not being tied with the lame Abhishek, Khushi felt weighed down by the guilt. Bua was right, she indeed was a numbskull. But why she had to remind her that she was an orphan? Didn't she love Amma and Babuji like she would have loved her own parents? Or didn't they love her the same way? Why would buaji always do that? Why would she leave her behind when she was a child while take Payal home whenever they visited the local fair?        

The guilt, the rejection, the harassment- when all became too much for her, she left the bed. It was thirty minutes past four in the morning. She tip-toed towards the master's bedroom and could hear her parents' voices. So they too hadn't slept. She stealthily took out the key to the stores from under the doormat, unlocked the door, grabbed a jerry cane of kerosene and a few match sticks to set it ablaze...

The storekeeper would usually be the first person to reach the shop in morning. When he came, he slapped his forehead and called Mr. Gupta from his mobile phone, "Sasi Babu, Khusi bitiya...has  made a mountain of jalebis again!"

Shashi smiled, at least one of his daugters would be back to normal now.

He distinctly remembered the day when Garima had brought this tiny bulb of a girl home, tiny though she may have been but her appetite was elephantine. She would be swinging on the kitchen door all the time and Garima would give her something to munch on. No longer had she busied herself in some other work, the girl would extend her hand with her palm open while batting her long eyelashes and holding on to the door with the other hand. "How can somebody look hungry all the time?" Garima would complain and send her to the shop. Later Khushi started hanging around the shop all the time, at times not even caring to change her school uniform, she would sit there nibbling at the sweets and entertaining the workers with her non-stop chatter. "Why don't you learn to cook some on your own?" Garima had said.

The day she had drawn the spirals of jalebi in the bubbling oil for the first time, it had become her only stress buster. On any occasion when she'd be sulking she'd begin to make the spirals and chomp on them hot.

She was never a scholar at school. The teachers would be all praise for the meritorious Payal and pull at their hairs at the mention of Khushi. Not that she wasn't bright, but her genius was directed at catching cockroaches from the bathroom in a box and putting them in her teacher's hand-bag, or drawing a moustache on the substitution teacher's face who slept on duty and similar things. 

After tolerating an year of college, " I will not step inside that ugly building again." she had declared last year. "Then what will you do?" Payal had asked, "I'll cook and contest in the next season of Master chef."

"Can I talk to my daughter?" Shashi said sitting beside her who had in her hand a platter of jalebis.

"Havoo fargiven me (Have you forgiven me)?" she said through a mouthful.

"I was never upset with you, yes but I do feel you could have discussed things with me. I agree you were right and what you did was commendable but your way wasn't right. You should not go out without informing your parents, Lukhnow is a big city, what if something went wrong?"

But something had gone very wrong and she had only confessed to Payal an abridged version of the same.

"But what about amma and buaji?"

"Oh, let them be. Your amma and buaji are the last people you should take seriously when they are angry."

"Of course why take an old grunting crib seriously, wait till this girl have us all killed." Madhumati howled flinging her long braid from one shoulder to another and found a women hiding behind the chowk entrance. " You rotund sticky lizard, eavesdropping on our private conversation?"

Zeiba ignored the 'old grunting crib' and walked toward Mr. Gupta with a bunch of neighbours.

"No I am not going there, it's not a celebration time." Garima protested, 

"does that mean we sit and lament about it all our lives? Its best to forget bad things and move on", Mr. Gupta said, "Zeiba came over to invite us all for the urs, and we'll go there like every year, let the girls feel a change."

"Do what you like." she sighed.

Revenge is a dish best served cold and Arnav Singh Raizada had burned for it since the day he was thrown out of his own house. Since the day he had lost everything life was worth living for. The images of his murky past lingered upon his conscious mind, so fresh as if it were only yesterday. The years spent in agony, heaving the baggage of helplessness, of humiliation, of rejection. Not a single night did he fall in blissful sleep, not a single day did he breathe in the carefree air of juvenescence.

The morning sun warmed the eastern facade of his ancestral home, perhaps for the last time. This was a portion of the edifice that had not been slaved under the 'Hotel' and hence been unattended. The terrace overlooked the changed face of the city alongside the river Gomti. A few bricks were missing in the wall toward his left, below that was a narrow alleyway leading to a nursery that was once solely tended by his mother, where he as a child, would spend hours watching her gardening.

The nursery was gone now. He slowly retraced his steps indoor, approached a door that had not been opened for years. It creaked from years of neglect, but the floor beneath his feet still shined. He walked toward the centre of the room, where he had last seen his mother standing alive. 

Sunlight filtering through a large drape less skylight illuminated that patch of ground as well as the colloid of dust particles and pollens that met in its way. He fell on his knees, slowly bringing his slightly quivering hands to touch the ground. The contact in a flash sent him in the past...her lifeless body...blood.... Anjali's contorted face in a panic attack...another gun shot...violent screams, cries...another morning...a parchment that bore the letters 'deal with it' along with other words...nothing made sense. It was a day for Anjali's palanquin to depart not the dead bodies of his parents. They took him to the funerary grounds, the priest handed him a burning log of wood, he ran away terrified, "no I can't burn her...no."

It had been 13 days, just that. Anjali stood against a wall, holding close to her a framed photo from their childhood, sobbing. Mallik hauled her away from the wall, "No more, can't bear to see this limping wreck, this useless cripple."

A scandalized Arnav had rushed to her rescue, "You don't say a word to my sister."

"Look who talks, mother's schizophrenic progeny or progenies? Why should I bother with you two? Why for the sake of heaven have you kill me some day?"

Ousted from his property, having witnessed the worst forms of treachery at 14, he had promised a sister who could not survive on her own, to return to her, her happiness.

And to have himself recompensed by exacting a revenge upon those responsible for his near fatal predicament. But how could a defenseless, penny less, gullible boy stand a chance against an enemy whose motive was as obscure as the enemy itself...

On numerous occasions, fate had pitilessly made Arnav fall into the abyss of absolute despair, all he needed was success. All he needed was the emperor of all remedies- money. So much money, surplus money and the power it entails could give him anything. But money is a treacherous companion, it comes in surplus only to those who are ready to put ethics up for a sale to be in the game. And to those who don't let anything else affect them as much.

At the present stage of his ordeal, ASR was an ace in the money game with an average turnover of about one hundred million dollars apart from the gold and land assets owned by his family and the Swiss accounts held by him. Making that sort of wealth had cost him the last seven years of his life, the years which he otherwise would have spent in a rehab or worse, in an asylum. But thanks his strains of severe workaholism that kept the ghosts of his past from haunting him. His inexorable pursuit had trained his mind to think ruthlessly only in terms of loss and gains and of course settling old scores.

Mallik had been an easy catch. His resources had told him that Sheesh Mahal was the only asset with man who was nearly bankcrupt on account of excessive gambling. Old habits die hard, ASR mused.       

He needn't worry that Mallik presently enjoyed the same plight as his own 14 years back, if monetary considerations were the only criteria.

The sound of distant footsteps broke his train of thought. Arnav rose to his feet and caste a last glance at the empty walls with flaking distemper, Mallik had obviously auctioned away anything valuable.

"Sir?" said the man.

"Yeah Aman."

"Here are the progress reports of the plants, you had asked for." He said handing him the file.

"Very well, we should have the mills funtional by the end of the next month then, even if it means bringing the structure down within this week." ASR said sifting through the data.

"I can consider genuine delays, though." said ASR looking at his manager's puzzled face.

"I am afraid sir, but this could take longer since the land development ministry is not being so cooperative. I have fixed a meeting with Shiresh Yadav though, this afternoon."

"What the heck is that? We have the state government's N.O.C , we can't put our plans in jeorpardy for some frivolous minister, I'll let Akash handle him. Anything else?"

"We our scheduled Delhi this evening."

"Good to hear that." he said taking to the flight of stairs down. The PR office called on his mobile phone,"Sir, all the photographs and video recordings from the fashion show are now in our possession,..but I fear.. a local newspaper maybe holding an odd photo..."

"If that comes out for public spectacle be assured, instead of AR's PR you'd be at the counter of some local provision store with a suit slapped on your face, you understand that?"

"yes sir."

The neatly laid breakfast table surprised ASR. No, the neatness wasn't unusual but paratha instead of oats was very unusual.

"Oh shit,... Di you're still here!"

"Do I scare you?" Anjali teased. 

"Should that matter? By the way, have you been borrowing kitchens lately?" he said pulling a chair for her.

"Should that matter?" she said mimicking his accent.

"May I know the purpose of your stay here?" he said trying hard to remember the last time Anjali had cooked something for him.

"You ask too many questions boy. Well, I had to be here before you ravaged the entire city."

Arnav raised an eyebrow in slight mischief, "Weren't you the only girl who went to her school farewell in a superman costume?"

"it was a fancy dress competition, " she said defensively and paused.. lost for a moment, "Arnav, I think I'll visit my school... and since you are here, could I ask you for a favor?"

"Anything." he said while thrusting a fork into the paratha.

"Four years back I came here to pray for your success at the dargaha, I had tied a wish thread for the same and hoped that if my wish came true, you'll come to the darhaha to open the thread, and since by god's grace it did, I assume you'd be...

"This is not done di, no, I am not going to any damned dargaha. I have made my destiny, not some non existent super-power."

"Baby, you said you'd do anything."

"Good, I'll think twice before saying such a thing next time."

For the next five minutes she went on to explain her brother, quite unsuccessfully, the importance of faith. He ignored all of it with polite disinterest while rapidly tucking away the paratha with his fork. She flung a spoon at him, "Were you listening to me?"

"Uh, huh? Ketchup please."

*****

ASR was his snobbish best at Lucknow's oldest dargaha that celebrated the Khwaja's Urs. He ignored the lilting kawwali at the entrance, refused any offerings, brushed away the holy Jhada, covered his nose from the holy smoke and had only one thought on his mind - untie the thread, get the lock, drop the key, get the hell out of here.    

The girls who followed moments later took a deep breath in the smoke. The younger one even nodded her head appreciative of the kawwali singers. She was most interested in any offering made, almost too interested in anything edible. She revised her long list of wishes to be made. The top wish was to get one chance to meet the man she had come to deeply dislike and kick his ass.

After offering her prayers at the mazar, Khushi told Payal she'd buy a lock, who in turn asked her to be quick. Their parents made their way to the entrance later.

Khushi secured the key in a small pocket of her kurti, and saw a man who had walked away dropping his key on the ground. She picked it up, "Excuse me sir, your key..." she rushed towards the man who walked too fast. The man stopped reluctantly, and turned with further reluctance.

She recognized him in a blink. She had never had a wish come true so soon. Even from a hundred meters, anyone could make out Khushi was bewildered beyond comprehension.

"Throw it." said ASR coldly without a hint of surprise on his face, no trace of recognition in his eyes as if he had never seen her before and nothing had happened last night. He turned and strode away. 

Khushi saw him leaving, she clasped her throat, where had her voice gone? 

"Yeeoww" she screamed, a few faces turned to look at her, she let go of her throat, her voice was back! Yippie. A second thought struck her, she had to kick him right? How could she let him go? "Wait...listen you...", what was his damned name, of course she didn't know anything about him apart from that he was a bad guy...,"Hey, bad guy..stop" she called running after him. She collided with everyone who came her way, mouthing an insincere apology every time. At a place where there are almost twice as many pigeons as humans, it gets difficult to keep a track. Her foot slipped out of her jooti as she ran but she didn't have time to place it back. Her shoes in one hand she sprinted barefooted on sands after her 'bad guy' till she ran past him because of inertia. She stopped all out of breath, "one minute, mizter ..." she dropped her jootis back on the ground and placed her hands on her waist, panting. "look you can't go like this..before you haf..I mean have apologized for yesterday."

"What have I done?" he said calmly.

Khushi shuddered remembering the night before, the fear gripping her again, don't be scared, this place is so crowded, he can't do anything here, she told herself. "you know what you have done, look mister...you can't.."

" I guess I have told you before, stay within your limits. Act in accordance with your social and economic standing, don't try to overstep your bounds, don't cross swords with me." with that he strode away.

She hated the insolent tone of his voice. "For your kind information, you are at present in the courtyard of worship, every one is equal in front of God, no rich, no poor, no disparity in the eyes of the ALMIGHTY!"

"Is he?" he said folding his arms. Eyeing her, he could sense her fear, he took a step towards her.

One step towards her and Khushi was a bundle of nerves. She frantically tried to place her foot back in her jooti, failing miserably as her foot hit the pebbles in every attempt. He saw that and strode towards her. Forget the shoe Khushi, just back off, she told herself and began retreating, she shut her eyes close anticipating to hit a pillar soon. She didn't, there was no pillar. (Yay). Her eyes opened abruptly as she felt smooth leather of his shoe touching her toe, she gulped as her legs felt numb and bent away, pulling her face further away, as far as she could from him, standing in that position.

" Watch your step Ms, next time you come in my way and I swear nobody would be able to save you, not even that god of yours."  saying that he backed off and headed for the exit.

She finally found her voice back and shouted," whom are you threatening mister, you think I am scared of you (well I am) but I am not. I bow my head only in front of my parents and the almighty without whose will, not even a leaf flutters, then who are you and what can you do? Nothing, you get it. You are just an ill mannered, misbehaving, haughty, insecure, blah, blah (god please suggest me words) egg (huh?), I mean egg without yolk, only shell...that too cracked."  almost satisfied with her new feat she walked away, her chin high.

Albeit ASR was convinced there were many who felt like flaying him, none had attempted anything close to this. He did not appreciate Khushi's venture nonetheless.

As he saw her receding figure, his frown disappeared behind a smirk. Happy poor family he thought looking at the two girls, an older woman whom she hugged and an older man. "Lets see what all-the-so-very-mighty does for you guys."

He pulled out his i-phone and speed dialed a number.

"Yes sir?" the voice enquired.

"do you have the event's footage in your possession now?"

"yes sir." said the voice with conviction.

"I want to see it on all channels in ten minutes..." he paused before his next sentence.." and I want you to make it bad, you know your dirty business well."

"yes sir." chuckled the voice.

Edited by cineraria - 9 years ago
MOnamy11 thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Its like ippknd again loved it:-D please update soon !Edited by MOnamy11 - 9 years ago
cineraria thumbnail

I have been, for the past few hours visiting this thread like a maniac, refreshing every five minutes, looking for views, watching it disappear into fan fiction pages and waiting for India Forums to lift up its ban from a Newbie, prohibiting the later from posting more than 10 topics in 24 hours. Is the ban over? If it is then here I go, with the fourth chapter which corresponds to the fifth episode per se.                                               

Attacked - Chapter 4

"Are you two brothers planning family time here?" Anjali inquired looking skeptically at the exceptionally tall, curly headed guy.

"This place ain't quite party." said Akash Singh Raizada looking disapprovingly at the screen of his Nikon D4." In fact I fail to appreciate what people come here to appreciate."

"History, you know...ghosts of the past." Anjali said helpfully.

"You mean this junk?" he said glancing around the Shahi Bowli at Bara Imambara. "I mean you expect to see ghosts of some Nawab strolling here? Don't tell me, that garden outside was way better than this."

"And what about the corridors?"

"I bet, that place is haunted."

"Maybe you'd appreciate that" said Anjali drawing his attention to a pretty blond tourist.

"Frankly, I'd appreciate her more on a beach."

"Wow, you are normal, I mean after dealing with Arnav..."

"Whats abnormal about Bhai? He already has a girlfriend."

"And how long do you think this one's going to last him?"

"what sort of question is that?" he snapped and paused," not his life..would be my guess."

"Rather imprecise a guess." she observed, "never mind, what I intend to know is the reason for thy benign presence hither."

"Well Bhai had asked me to deal with Shiresh Yadav but the crisis is already over. Shiresh won't listen to me, eventually I had to involve bhai."

"Highlights?"

"He slapped him."

"What? Arnav slapped the minister?"

"Twice." he said adjusting his specs.

"In front of...?" asked a slightly anxious Anjali.

"legal advisors, a bunch of party workers and a couple of policemen."

"And what was their reaction?"

"they did not react. All they wanted were stuffed pockets. We had them for just over 10"

"And didn't Arnav come with one of those enlightening statements?"

"oh yeah, he said I am not used to hear dog's barking, but not before Shiresh had called me son of a b****."

"So there was a proper brawl."

"Not exactly, everyone was very cordial, except for Shiresh saying," he placed his palm on his cheek, "young man you should control your temper." he said imitating the ministers accent.

"I am afraid I'll agree with him for once. On second thought, Akash, whatever happened there is fine and acceptable but don't you think you rely too much on Arnav for even the smallest decisions in your life? Like from which University you attend, what courses you take, what tie you wear to your fair well, what suit for your convocation..."

"See, that makes my life so easy." he said beaming.

"Of course, I can see the day where he decides which girl you marry and how many kids you have." she said sarcastically.

"May be that's one thing I'll decide for myself, our taste in women is radically different... that is apart from the one woman we both love." he said placing his arm around Anjali just as his phone rang. 'Bhai calling' it displayed. Akash sighed, "and you thought we were having family time here."

"Where the hell are you?" demanded the impatient voice on the other side.

"Looking after the last assignment you gave me, you know keeping Di busy." he said winking at Anjali. She punched his arm in turn.

"drop her to her hotel and see me in ten minutes."

Anjali dropped on the couch of her suite lazily, and flicked through the channels till she stopped at the news channel. She sat upright abruptly. "Voila"

Payal had tirelessly tried to pursue Khushi into inculcating a regular habit of newspaper reading and had finally given up on a sister who was stubbornly dismissive of the idea. She read the sports page though, whenever she missed an India vs. Pakistan cricket match and the movie review section when there was a Salman Khan release. She was mostly upset with the latter as the critics didn't seem to share her opinion about her favorite star.

Today was a different day though. The sports calendar showed there was no Indo-pak match for a month, neither there was a Salman Khan flick happening any soon, but there was an article with a photograph on page 1 followed by pg 2 about this chap called Arnav Singh Raizada. Khushi slapped her forehead, now cognizant of what she had encountered. She didn't read the entire article, only the first paragraph which was obviously penned by a crazed female reporter apparently smitten with the business magnate. The article described him as a 'chivalrous gent'. Khushi pouted, ask me how gentleman like he is.

Payal came to the room looking for the newspaper, astounded to see the baby sister holding it. She came over to peer at what had caught Khushi's interest, and announced in a high pitched voice, "How so very handsome." 

Khushi scowled at her crumbling the paper into a ball and threw it in the corner.

"What was that supposed to mean?" asked Payal.

"Jiji, he's the same that...that Laad Governor."

Payal stared at her bemused or amused she couldn't decide. "I saw him at the dargaha too." Khushi said quietly.

"I would have advised you to steer clear of him."

"Well as you would know I didn't. I called him an egg."

"Now do you understand why I kept on pushing you to work on your vocabulary?"

"Can we talk about something else?"

"Sure" said Payal as she seated herself on the bed and began folding clothes. She stopped at a blouse with a broken clasp, "whatever happened to this?" she asked dangling it in front of Khushi.

Khushi positioned a broom between her knees, "now I fly.."

"Stop it, you are not Harry Potter!" said Payal annoyed.

"Let me show you..." she jumped on the sofa which moaned under her weight and then on the bed that thumped.

"Khushi you would break my furniture." Garima came rushing, exasperated.

"This needs repair, why delay?"

"Come down, NOW."

"First you say that I am your own daughter and you have forgiven me."

Garima looked up peevishly, "okay you are my own and I have forgiven you."

She jumped down from the bed and hugged her mother. "Yes my daughter who sucks half a liter of my blood on a daily basis." Garima said hugging her daughter back.

"And still continue to be so skinny." complained Payal.

"If you mother-daughter have reconciled, I could expect a nice tea." said Shashi Gupta beaming at his family, "also Khushi your amma and I were going to the market, i suppose you would like to come along."

"An hour away from buaji, welcome." She said nodding her head.

Madhumati searched hither-thither for her microscope equivalent specs. She slumped on the sofa and felt something beneath her. With much difficulty pulled it out from under her heavyset built and struggled to put the TV remote on her eyes. Her huge hand finally felt her glasses and she switched on the TV and tuned into 'Khabri' channel for the afternoon news.

"Haye re nandkisore..." the old woman howled placing her hands on her chest, her eyes bulging.

Her parents had stopped at the goldsmith's and asked her to get Mr. Gupta's medicines.

A local provision store's TV was blaring. She hummed a tune while returning with a brown paper bag of medicines and placed the prescription letter in the bag when she noticed many eyes on her. It made her conscious, she walked faster when she heard somebody  out from behind. "What a disgrace, you didn't even think about your father's reputation." she turned to see a man whom she recognized was a regular customer at their shop. " Wretched girl." another one sneered.

Khushi pushed past the people who were gawking at the TV till she saw herself on the screen. A red circle around her face, highlighting it and an arrow shown every time as she fell on Arnav Singh Raizada. The channel played the ten second scene continuously flashing the line -NAKED FACE OF TRUTH and a hyper-excited reporter yapped in an over exaggerated tone, "look, look how she THROWS literally throws herself at the billionaire. No whiff of shame, utterly  shameless. Look at her, the innocent face of sheer disgrace, who could imagine what she is in real. You can see on your TV screen how she falls in the arms of Arnav Raizada like a ripe mango..." He kept on repeating the outrageously shameful words till Khushi felt her ears bleeding from the opprobrium, the false allegations heaped on her. She felt a hand on her arm, "amma" she cried, "lets get out of here." Garima spoke through clenched teeth.

Uttar Pradesh is worst known as the state of 'Gunda Raj' or rogue-rule. Crimes are committed in broad daylight, criminals roam the streets and common man lives in fear as the police remains passive if not itself involved in the crime. As Garima dragged her young daughter out of the mob, the local gangsters sprung out and began circling them.

A dirty looking burly built goon jeered at her, " come baby if he why not me? I am the millionaire next door."

Khushi screamed as one tried to touch her arm, Garima slapped his hand and stood protectively against her daughter. "Get away from us."

"Look, bhaiyya mom is no less.., dear mom you get off the way, your daughter is now public property." The gang laughed viciously.

"What the hell is this, I'll call the police." Shashi Gupta ran towards the women when a scamp hit hard his leg and threw him on the road side. The older man fell hitting the pavement. "Your days to play hero are gone uncle."

Khushi wished the earth would engulf her when one groped for her and the other pulled away her stole- the last semblance of her modesty gone. The scoundrel pulled her stole on his face, smelling it. She shrieked in horror.

The young lawyer found it arduous to concentrate in the quiet of the unoccupied pre-hearing courtroom. On the contrary, he preferred to prepare his case amidst the hubbub of market in company of the extra-sweet tea served at the inconspicuous bush-league Raju Tea stall. He would have his usual fix of three cups of what he described as the 'best tea in the world' and leave 'Raju' with a generous tip. The boy always looked forward to serve his favorite customer.

The case was a mundane land dispute which had been stretching for five years now, Raju brought his second cup of tea when the barrister and his client heard screams of a woman. He turned to see a little crowd at a distance from where the sounds were coming. He kept the disposable cup on the bench and got up at once. "Mr. Sahay, I think I should go and check." he told his client.

He reached the site of chaos and saw a frail man lying on the pavement unable to get up. He helped him to his feet.

The gang leader reached to grab Khushi's throat but his hand suddenly refused to move, inches away. He exerted his force to no effect, he grunted and turned to find his foe. "Who the hell are you?" he barked. A solid punch landed square on his jaw making him stagger backwards and trip on the ground. "Good question, wrong man, had you asked your mom she would tell you that I am your dad, fine lad." the lawyer sneered and kicked his abdomen. The remaining goons leapt at him, the crowd held the spectacle, stunned as the new entrant unleashed a series of smashing kicks and punches. His days of wrestling at his village akhada and the kick-boxing he took up in college, finally paid the barrister. Some people in the crowd even searched for a camera and a director's cut to this picture-perfect one sided combat where the lanky goons armed with knives could hardly put a fight against this unexpected herculean force.

Ten minutes later battered men were found moaning on the pavement. Some even bled through their mouths.

The barrister looked around to see if anyone of them had remained intact and found a green stole on the road. He picked it up looking for the victim and saw a deer of girl. Her face ashen with fringes of revulsion and humiliation marring its smooth beauty. She still stood crouching behind her mother. His heart skipped many beats. He slowly approached the women and handed the silken stole to her mother who looked gratefully at him. Shashi Gupta limped to join his family. The procurator noticed his wounds, "Are you all right sir? You may need some bandaging." he said genuinely concerned. "Oh no beta, God bless you". He thanked him profusely and headed for his home with the women. Khushi turned to look at her savior as they left the site, she didn't utter a word but her eyes gave away the gratitude held in them.

Advocate Shyam Manoher Jha was convinced he wanted to see that face again. "That was a commendable job Shyam babu." his client approached him, impressed. Shyam smiled and then his eyes fell on a wallet near the footpath. He picked it up to see if it belonged to the same man. 'Shashi Gupta- Satvik Mishthan Bhandar' read the line below his photograph. "Sir your wallet" he called but the man had already left. He checked his watch, the hearing was about to begin. He pocketed the wallet and made his way to the district court, making a mental note to return the purse at the shop's address.

jenshad thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 8
I LIked It, But Will You Keep It Little Bit Different From IPK? πŸ˜³
cineraria thumbnail
Would you like me to keep it different? πŸ˜Š
Well for the initial chapters it is quite the same, the building up of plot and all, the major incidents but later it's gonna change. I have deleted a few characters and added others, there wont be a Dadi or Shital, that's assured. πŸ˜‰ 
It may take a very different course later, I'll hope I would find you with me to the end of this journey. πŸ˜³
Downhill thumbnail
simply brilliant
loved it
cineraria thumbnail
You have a nice username. 
I am so glad that you liked it. You know, each comment makes my heart jump, twirl and float in sheer pleasure. Thank you, a reader's words are the greatest source of encouragement for a tiny amateur writer. 
MOnamy11 thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Wonderfull update :-) whatever you do please complete the journey there r many writers who began their story following ipkknd but left them midway :-( by the way you have said that you have started this one year ago does that mean you've already completed it ? I can't wait to read the twists and turns ! Again please update soon :-)
cineraria thumbnail
I cannot agree more to that. This is such a wonderful forum full of mind blowing crazy writers, it almost hurts when they have to leave their stories mid way, but sometimes they can't help it. There can be reasons like not getting the anticipated response from readers which can plunge anyone's moral down. 
Anyway, I don't plan to leave it incomplete, it's my first FF and I am too passionate about it to leave. No, it isn't completed as of yet, I have had too many writer's blocks last year. I was more of a short story writer and this thing is literally sprawling.  
I'll update in the evening. Thank you so much for your comment. πŸ˜ƒ
cineraria thumbnail

Greetings beautiful people! Here comes chapter 5 and with it comes the first deviation from the original. I hope you like it, and if you do, please be generous with the like button. 😳                                                                

Bacardi - Chapter 5

"Am I allowed to talk to my brother now?" Anjali expressed her slight annoyance with the manager.

"Am I allowed to say no to you?" said Aman giving her a sheepish grin, " but I am afraid, you'd have to wait for a while, he's in a meeting."

"Abort the meeting." she said storming towards the door. "Anjali.." Aman called and bit his tongue, "ma'am you need to stay...". The door swung open cutting him short and a stout man in a faded reebock T-shirt walked out. Anjali turned to face Aman and jerked up her brows. "He's the contractor." replied Aman. She nodded at the man and dragged her feet inside ASR's large proxy office.

"So this is your temporary hide out." she speculated. ASR gave her a dull look from over his macbook screen and drawled in a monotone, "hi di."

"I thought you missed me." she said sitting on the arm chair opposite to him. Arnav didn't remark. "So when did you begin this bride picking business bro, umm, bride c-a-t-c-h-ing, rather?" she said puckering her nose a little.

" You saw that, so, big deal?" he said maintaining the monotone.

"No, no big deal, the media frenzy, the paparazzi are no big deal! A girl in a bridal attire descends from the stage like a seraph from heaven and lands straight in the lap of, oops, arms of Arnav Singh Raizada- a sight to behold!...what if the family, especially nani stumbles upon this? 

"I am sure you can handle that...like you always do, after all it does entertain you." he said uninterestedly.

"Don't take me for granted young man, I am fed up with your unwarranted page 3 appearances and this time you and your literal arm candy have given them enough to last for a month."

"I can't help it if people are so interested in me."

"And you don't do anything to arouse this interest." she grinned.

"What do you mean?" he said sharply.

"You want me to believe all this reached the media without your company's stamp and seal on the package?" she said disbelievingly and added softly, "Arnav, have you given it a thought, what could be the consequences for that girl?" 

Her face flashed in front of his eyes for a moment, hadn't she challenged him with her words, you can't do anything? A wickedly satisfied expression passed his chiseled features, "why else do you think I did it" he muttered under his breath.

"You said something?"

"No, I mean, di I am in no mood for one of your speeches on women empowerment, it's pathetic, please not now, not in my office." he protested.

"If you give such misogynistic statements again, I am going to get you kicked by my girls at Sakhi, in full camera glare." she warned.

"Duh, as if the girls at your useless NGO are any better than the one in the video."

"Why do you donate for it when you find it so useless?"

"Company policy." ASR quipped and jerked up his head, "where the hell is that husband of yours, he promised me to tolerate you all his life."

"Why do I even bother to talk to you." Anjali said in a mock angry tone. Arnav turned his attention back to the screen.

"By the way, "she began barely able to suppress a giggle, "what was her name?" ASR stared at her with eyes narrowed to slits. "Oh, sweetie I was only concerned about Lavanya", she continued. He raised an eyebrow. "Now don't look at me like that, I am sure if she sees it, she'd only be wondering whether her boyfriend was posing for the camera with bridal props!" and burst out laughing.

"You wretch!" Madhumati bellowed, "how many dynamites would you explode over my skull, you dunderhead?" Khushi stood behind Payal, her head hung in contrition. "You could better had stuffed the honor of the family in a box and drowned it with yourself in the holy Ganga." She held her head shaking vigorously in her palms and repeatedly beated her chest in a melodramatic fashion. "Haye re nandkissore, what do we do now, where do we go after all this shame she has brought upon us?"

"I.. slipped" Khushi managed to say.

"You slipped! Are you a toilet soap that you slipped!" Madhumati howled and came down on her like a ton of bricks. "With a tongue that cannot stay still in your mouth and feet which do not know their way to the ground, go girl, fly like a bird and come down hitting the ground with a loud thud. Idiot! Nincompoop!" She gulped down a jug full of water, and punched the centre-table with her fist. The brittle glass top grumbled. "And you?", she began looking at Garima, " you won't spit out a word? After all, you got this nuisance home, your responsibility." Garima glared at Khushi. "Amma, I don't know these people, some people pushed me on stage, I..."

"SHUT UP! Khushi, shut your mouth, don't dare say another word." she growled, "those goons are still hissing like snakes in my ears", her head shook in anxiety, "I have decided you are leaving this town."

Khushi grimaced, "but amma..."

"Let your mother complete." Mr. Gupta scolded. Mrs. Gupta continued, "Everyone in the locality knows all of us, people will make your life hell, let things get back to normal again, till then Payal and Khushi will go to live with their bua.

A dumbfounded Madhumati spat out the water from her mouth. She hadn't anticipated this. "But Sasi babua,.." she lowered her voice to say but was cut by her brother, "where else jiji, we have only you who lives out of Lucknow, the girls would be in your care, meanwhile things will eventually cool down and we'd have them back. Delhi is a big city, no body would recognize her there, and people are too busy to be nosy."

"Keep this nuisance locked, let her live in hostile conditions for a while where nobody is concerned about her, that'll set her straight." Garima added.

Madhumati gulped another jug full of water.

The morning bird chirped noisily on the steps of the small temple of goddess Durga situated behind Shashi Gupta's sweet-meat shop. Albeit her parents were being strict with her, they weren't being unreasonable. Khushi indeed suffered with various degrees of insanity. Like now she stood chatting loudly with the idol of her favorite deity. "I will not go to Delhi. Bad city, last time I went there, I got jaundice. Why should I go there, that too for 2 weeks, that too with buaji, I mean live with buaji! In Delhi! Bad-badder-baddest, Khushi repeated the words that would have made her English teacher loose a night's sleep.

"Bad-worse-worst" somebody corrected her but she didn't turn to look who. "At least give the poor city a chance, Delhi isn't that bad." the voice continued.

"And who exactly are you to tell me that?" Khushi turned to face the man, it took a couple of seconds for the face to register and then she recalled, he was her savior from the previous day. "You?"

"Well, I just happened to pass by and heard your rant." he said shyly.

"It's ok, thanks anyway"

"for what?"

"thanks for yesterday."

"Oh, you mean for saving those rogues from you?"

"huh?"

"Just kidding. I think this belongs to your father, I was going to your shop but saw you first so thought I could give it you." he said handing her the wallet.

"Where did you find this?"

"On the road, near the pavement, it must have dropped."

"Thank you so much."

"Not like this, you come to my city for a change of opinion and then I'll accept your thanks. Here's my card if you ever need something there, please don't hesitate."

Khushi hesitated but took the card which read Advocate Shyam Manoher Jha, Civil Court, Bench East Delhi. 

"So you belong to Delhi?"

"Not really, I work there. I had come to Lucknow for a case, my village is in Lucknow district, you see." His phone rang, he took it out from his pocket and read the screen- ' Vikram calling', he cut the line. "What's your name by the way?"

Khushi hesitated again but then said quietly, "Khushi"

"Great Khushi, I think I should take your leave now." and added, "hope to see you in Delhi." 

"Why the hell did you cut my phone?" the voice growled on the other side.

"I was busy." replied Shyam.

"Busy? With whom, the queen?"

"No. The princess."

"Cut the crap and wherever you are come right away."

"What's so urgent?"

"See for yourself. I have my hands on something very precious." said Vikram's excited undertone.

Shyam hailed a taxi, somehow he wasn't sure that whatever his chum had found merited all that excitement he had displayed. He took out his laptop from a shoulder bag and an internet stick. Soon enough he had booked a ticket of first A.C in the next train that left for Delhi. He could afford air travel now but there was something very leisurely about a train and he was in no hurry. He and Vikram went a long way, long enough for him to get accustomed to his pal's frequent baloney. 

*****

The train halted for a crossing in his village, like it had done ever since the track was built. He would cross the same track everyday on his way to the primary school in his childhood. Now he could see the school building through the slightly tinted glass of the window. A bricked wall had been built around it painted in white, which he remembered wasn't there in those days. The name was painted in black on it, 'Adarsh Sr. Secondary School' , something, it wasn't in those days.

On the other side of the track was his home, though he could not see it through the window. His family still lived there but he had no heart to visit them, he did send them money though, at the end of every month.

Ten years back...

One layer of woolens wasn't able to fight the chill of the January night in that damp room that smelled of moss. He struggled to concentrate on pages explaining the Code of Civil Procedure & Law of Limitation for his final semester LLB exam when he heard the heavy footsteps disrupting the silence of the winter night. The bearer of the noisy steps barged in through the door. The sight of beads of sweat on his forehead made a cold Shyam instantly envy the man who felt warm enough to sweat. "You are late." he said.

"It's all right, I had to tell you something but first try this." the older man said revealing a bottle. His breathing hadn't settled yet as he placed the bottle of Bacardi Rum on the desk.

"What? Why have you got alcohol here? Did you steal it?" said Shyam taken aback.

"No, I bought it." Ram replied giving him a toothed grin. Shyam checked the label and the price, "this is bloody expensive." he exclaimed.

"Get used to it, rich people have expensive tastes."

"We are not rich." said Shyam mournfully.

"We are soon going to be." Ram said giving another toothed grin, went to an aluminum cupboard and brought two steel glasses. "Today it's steel, tomorrow it'll be crystal glassware."

"And who will make us rich, our father? Or it's just a factory worker's insane dream?"

"Aiye, it's not my dream, my lord is making me rich." Ram said as he poured the glasses, "he feels his factory near Kakori isn't doing him any good, he wants me to play a fireball there and claim the insurance money."

"Meh, you think he's going to let you sniff at a penny from that."

"He will have to, 25% of the insurance money, which is a lot of money, about a crore for now. I'll demand more once the job is done to keep my mouth shut."

"This is risky." said Shyam sinking back in his chair.

"Aye brother, life is risky."

He nodded and sipped his drink. It was the first time Shyam had tasted alcohol.

The fire would seem to be an accident. Ram would plug a short circuit in the mains and escape.

The fire was indeed an accident, the police had concluded, only Ram never escaped. Shyam Manoher Jha had no doubt that his brother was never allowed to escape. Especially after the factory lord dispensed with a cheque of ruppees 15000 only as compensation for the family of his young employee who was charred to death in the 'accident'.

Shyam had demanded from Dheerendra Mallik, the 25% of the insurance money promised to his brother, he had threatened to drag him to the court and bring to light the actuator of the fire. He did manage to drag him, only to lose the first case he had ever fought.