Congrats on the first victory of YFE - Page 4

Created

Last reply

Replies

35

Views

2k

Users

10

Likes

3

Frequent Posters

kabhi_21 thumbnail
20th Anniversary Thumbnail Rocker Thumbnail
Posted: 18 years ago
#31
Quota ruling: DPA calls for bandh on Mar 31 in TN

PTI | March 29, 2007 | 22:43 IST


The Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam-led Democratic Progressive Alliance on Thuirsday night called for a dawn-to-dusk bandh on March 31 in Tamil Nadu, the birth place of social justice movement, to express "people's anguish" over the Supreme Court stay on the law providing for OBC quotas in educational institions.

A decision in this regard was taken at a meeting of the DPA members, key allies of the ruling United Progressive Alliance at the Centre, presided over by DMK chief and Tamil Nadu Chief Minister M Karunanidhi in Chennai.

Briefing reporters, Karunanidhi said the meeting demanded an urgent meeting of both Houses of the Parliament to discuss the Supreme Court order and take "a good decision."

He said the rights of?Parliament had been "neglected" by the apex court order, which was "a setback to social justice."

The Parliament should meet and save the rights of the people.

He appealed to the AIADMK, MDMK and the DMDK and other non-DPA parties to join the bandh.

Replying to a question, he said the bandh would not amount to contempt of Court. "The bandh is not in contempt of the Supreme Court verdict. It is only to express the people's concern. This is only to condemn the efforts to destroy social justice," he said.
kabhi_21 thumbnail
20th Anniversary Thumbnail Rocker Thumbnail
Posted: 18 years ago
#32
TN to provide separate reservation for Muslims, Christians

PTI | April 05, 2007 | 12:22 IST


In the midst of a raging controversy over the Supreme Court's stay on the 27 per cent reservation for OBC students in elite educational institutions, the Tamil Nadu government on Thursday announced an 'exclusive reservation' for Christains and Muslims in government services and educational institutions.

Intervening during a debate on the demands of grants for the minorities department, Chief Minister M Karunanidhi told the state Assembly that the government had accepted the recommendations of the state Backward Classes Commission, headed by Justice M Janardanam, retired judge of the Madras high court, in this regard.

He said the commission, which had been asked to go into the question, had stated that the report of the Second Class Backward Commission, headed by J A Ambashankar, which went into the number of backward class people in the state, could be the basis for the 'exclusive' reservation for Christains and Muslims.

The Ambashankar Commission had studied the population of backward class people among the Hindus,?Christians and Muslims.

The government will take legal steps to implement the exclusive reservation for minorities once the Supreme Court prounced its verdict on the 69 per cent reseration case, pending before it, Karunanidhi said.

He said full details on the exclusive reservation would be announced after consultations with 'friendly parties' of the Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam.?

Tracing the history of the social justice movement and reservation in the state, Karunanidhi said the famous 'communal GO of 1921', which had sown the seeds of reservation, included that Muslims and 'Indian Christains'?enjoy the benefits of reservation.

In the 1927 GO, Muslims and Christains were provided with separate reservation on the basis of 'rotation', he said.

The DMK government in 1973-74 included Urdu speaking Labbies and Tekkani Muslims in the list of backward classes, Karunanidhi said.

Muslims and Christians had been demanding an exclusive reservation in government services and educational institutions for long and the DMK, accepting their demand, in its election manifesto for 2006 Assembly, had promised to provide separate reservation for them, Karunanidhi said.

In the state's budget last year, the government had said it would take firm steps for reservation for Muslims and Christians besides urging the Centre to provide separate reservation for minorities, he said.

The state had asked the state Backward Classes Commission to go into the question of reservation for minorities and had accepted its recommendations in this regard, he said amidst thumbing of desks by DMK, Congress, PMK and Left party MLAs.
ChameliKaYaar thumbnail
20th Anniversary Thumbnail Rocker Thumbnail Engager Level 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 18 years ago
#33

So are we debating anything or just congratulating?

CONGRATULATIONS....

kabhi_21 thumbnail
20th Anniversary Thumbnail Rocker Thumbnail
Posted: 18 years ago
#34

Originally posted by: ChameliKaYaar

So are we debating anything or just congratulating?

CONGRATULATIONS....

U can debate on further news update i provided after the Supreme Court decision😃

X-rebel thumbnail
20th Anniversary Thumbnail Dazzler Thumbnail Engager Level 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 18 years ago
#35
A BIG Congratulations !!

JAI HIND !!


Thanks a lot Abhi for he updates. We will surely win!
kabhi_21 thumbnail
20th Anniversary Thumbnail Rocker Thumbnail
Posted: 18 years ago
#36
Govt to move SC over quota order: Arjun Singh

Onkar Singh in New Delhi | April 12, 2007 | 09:27 IST


Human Resource Development Minister Arjun Singh, who was instrumental in pushing the controversial OBC quota in institutes of excellence, has confirmed that the government would move the apex court for review of its interim order of March 29, which stayed the 27 per cent quota rule for the OBCs for the year 2007-2008.

The court had also asked the government to provide more information regarding the census of 1931.

"Our legal experts have been on the job and either on Thursday or Friday, we will file our petition before the Supreme court to review its earlier order," Arjun Singh told mediapersons at a press conference in Delhi on Wednesday evening.

He denied that the government was complacent, and that students of OBC category would have to go to private institutes for admission in view of the court order.

Arjun Singh said that he was hopeful the court would look at the case of the OBC students sympathetically.

He said the government was looking into the reports on books meant for distribution among students allegedly being sold in the open market.

"We will certainly take action against the culprits," he said.

The minister said the decision to set up South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation univerities was taken at the meeting of the SAARC heads of states.

"These universities have to be set up in all the SAARC countries. No decision has been taken up about the setting up of two universities in India," he said.

Speaking on the deliberations at the conference of state education ministers held in New Delhi on April 10-11, 2007, the minister in his address to the media said'there were a number of important points on which consensus was reached.

One such point was agreement regarding enactment of state-specific legislations to give effect to the 93rd Constitutional Amendment, which enables reservations for SCs, STs and socially and educationally backward classes in educational institutions.

"There was agreement on on the implementation of the Central Educational Institutions (Reservation in Admission) Act, which was enacted and notified in Janury 2007 by an interim order of the honourable Supreme Court, which has been kept in abeyance. The conference noted that the Central government is examining all legal options to resolve this issue at the earliest," he said.

Related Topics

Top

Stay Connected with IndiaForums!

Be the first to know about the latest news, updates, and exclusive content.

Add to Home Screen!

Install this web app on your iPhone for the best experience. It's easy, just tap and then "Add to Home Screen".