Is it right to keep wild animals in zoo?

instantkhichdi thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 15 years ago
Aapke anusaar kya bekasur janwaro ko chidiyaghar mein rakhkar 'saza dena' sahi hai? Unko bhagwaan ka diya keemtee jeewan pinjaray mein bitaanaa padtaa hai... Isn't death better than such life?

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

bunbutt_too thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail

Is it right to keep wild animals in zoo?

NO!!!!  I think this age old practice is cruel and unusual punishment for the poor animals. When the concept was first introduced it made sense since back then traveling to see such exotic animals, in their natural habitat, was a luxury afforded by a few. However things are changing. These days, there are a lot more almost "realistic" options available like the IMAX, in depth Documentaries, TV shows and what have you. These have rendered the "zoo" concept totally obsolete.

I think the zoos should be replaced by safari parks. Let the humans visit the animals in their own environment. Maybe the governments can subsidies such trips for those who cannot afford it themselves. After all, most of the governments the world over subsidies all kinds of pork barrel stuff anyway. This is more deserving of a subsidy, and will help the poor animals as well.

Finally all poachers should be hunted down just the way they hunt these poor animals.

๐Ÿ˜• ๐Ÿ˜• ๐Ÿ˜• Don't see what exactly is the problem here ๐Ÿ˜† Both my girls loved their outings to the neighborhood zoo. Seeing the animals on T.V. and in the zoo are two totally different things. Plus not all can afford a safari trip. I think we are taking "animal rights" theory way to seriously and to an extreme here ๐Ÿ˜•
bunbutt_too thumbnail

Gauriji have you ever sent your little girls to their room for "time out"  When ours kids were little and we did this they would get nudgy, irritated, and bored in a matter of minutes. Think of the larger animals that are confined to an extremely limited space, year in and year out. Their "time out" is a life sentence, and they cannot complain about this to anyone.  

I am all for having petting zoos where the kids can touch animals like goats, sheep, rabbits, horses, etc. but totally against the "organized" zoos.

Originally posted by: bunbutt_too

Gauriji have you ever sent your little girls to their room for "time out"  When ours kids were little and we did this they would get nudgy, irritated, and bored in a matter of minutes. Think of the larger animals that are confined to an extremely limited space, year in and year out. Their "time out" is a life sentence, and they cannot complain about this to anyone.  

I am all for having petting zoos where the kids can touch animals like goats, sheep, rabbits, horses, etc. but totally against the "organized" zoos.

Bunny ji, this is one more of my pet peeves....I do not like comparing animals with human kids. 

Still, I'll give you one example just to get my point across - how many humans spend 8 or more hours behind their work desk earning their living and then driving back to a life that is predominantly dictated by the norms set by the society they live in, i.e. highly "organized" life whether they like it or not?  Now, compare that number to a miniscule population of those animals who are in the zoos.  All they are doing is working for the free lodging and boarding and not to forget the food and other medical care they recieve there.  What's the big deal then?  Let these hathi ghodas also earn their living for a change๐Ÿ˜‰

As long as the animals are not abused in the zoos unnecessarily, I really do not see the problem here.

Edited by Gauri_3 - 15 years ago
bunbutt_too thumbnail

Originally posted by: Gauri_3

Bunny ji, this is one more of my pet peeves....I do not like comparing animals with human kids. 

Still, I'll give you one example just to get my point across - how many humans spend 8 or more hours behind their work desk earning their living and then driving back to a life that is predominantly dictated by the norms set by the society they live in, i.e. highly "organized" life whether they like it or not?  Now, compare that number to a miniscule population of those animals who are in the zoos.  All they are doing is working for the free lodging and boarding and not to forget the food and other medical care they recieve there.  What's the big deal then?  Let these hathi ghodas also earn their living for a change๐Ÿ˜‰

As long as the animals are not abused in the zoos unnecessarily, I really do not see the problem here.

Gauriji, first of all I have a feeling we are on different pages. I think the issue here is "caged animals" not performing ones, even if their stories are equally tragic. Getting back to your example of us humans, who spend 8 or more hours sitting behind our desks?  Yes we do that. It is a choice we make. The independently wealthy fortunate ones are under no obligation to sit behind a desk for 8 hours per day. If they still do, that is a choice they make.

However, even if we sit behind a desk for 8 hours per day we get to go home at the end of the day. In addition, we get our weekends off, and a 3 week vacation per year, when we can escape to wherever our little hearts desire and do pretty much what we feel like. Do those caged animals in a zoo ever get to move away from their desk or cubicle in their entire employment? We humans sever our chains from the desks at retirement. Do these caged animals get to retire? No. They die chained to their desks. 

Sure these caged animals are getting free lodging, boarding, and healthcare. So did the slaves on the plantations in colonial America. Why did they fight to give up that "comfortable" life which gave them free lodging, boarding, and healthcare? Heck all they had to do in return was pick cotton and tobacco and sing in the fields!  

Believe you me my dear Gauriji, there is a problem with caging animals, and it is very legitimate. Freedom is equally important for EVERY life form on our fast fading planet. Mother Nature had hoped we all would learn to coexist, live and let live. However we chauvinistic, arrogant humans decided to mess with her norms for our convenience, and sooner than later we humans will make all the life forms pay for itโ€ฆ in a really BIG way.       The defense rests its case Counselor.

Originally posted by: bunbutt_too

Gauriji, first of all I have a feeling we are on different pages.

We are on different sides but I don't think we are on different pages here.

I think the issue here is "caged animals" not performing ones, even if their stories are equally tragic.

I disagree.  The main issue is about animal rights here, as I see it, irrespective of whether they are "caged" or "performing" 

Getting back to your example of us humans, who spend 8 or more hours sitting behind our desks?  Yes we do that. It is a choice we make. The independently wealthy fortunate ones are under no obligation to sit behind a desk for 8 hours per day. If they still do, that is a choice they make.

However, even if we sit behind a desk for 8 hours per day we get to go home at the end of the day. In addition, we get our weekends off, and a 3 week vacation per year, when we can escape to wherever our little hearts desire and do pretty much what we feel like.

You missed my whole entire point.  How many of us actually want to live the way this society forces us to live?  Not many, I feel.  This is just the price we pay for advancement in civilization ... the so called development over a long period of time. 

Do those caged animals in a zoo ever get to move away from their desk or cubicle in their entire employment? We humans sever our chains from the desks at retirement. Do these caged animals get to retire? No. They die chained to their desks. 

Again, the drivel was when so many humans live their lives the way they are "expected" to rather than the way they would like to.  What's the big deal if a handful of animals have to do that as well?

Sure these caged animals are getting free lodging, boarding, and healthcare. So did the slaves on the plantations in colonial America. Why did they fight to give up that "comfortable" life which gave them free lodging, boarding, and healthcare? Heck all they had to do in return was pick cotton and tobacco and sing in the fields!  

...again, I wouldn't compare humans to animals.  If god wanted us "equals" with equalitarian rights, he would have given these animals a brain as developed as ours.

Believe you me my dear Gauriji, there is a problem with caging animals, and it is very legitimate. Freedom is equally important for EVERY life form on our fast fading planet.

Sorry, going by the extreme approach you are preaching here, we should not neuter them, kill them, control them...just let them be๐Ÿ˜†  How come China doesn't let her population do what they please or why the heck India worry so much about poulation explosion then๐Ÿ˜†  Yaar, insaan hain, gareeb hain.  ab entertainment ka cheapest saadhan bhi chhen lo un sey...kyoon bhala๐Ÿ˜‰

I, personally, do not like to bump in stray dogs or wild animals on my way out.  Can't use the same yardstick for humans and animals both. 

Mother Nature had hoped we all would learn to coexist, live and let live. However we chauvinistic, arrogant humans decided to mess with her norms for our convenience, and sooner than later we humans will make all the life forms pay for itโ€ฆ in a really BIG way.    

...well, mother nature did not intend us building all these dams and bridges and planes and cities etc either.  We humans are paying the price of advancements in civilization and development day in and day out.  I wouldn't lose my sleep over some handful of animals paying a miniscule price either๐Ÿ˜Š

The defense rests its case Counselor.

Enjoy the long weekend Bunny ji.  Hope you have loads of fun๐Ÿ˜Š

bunbutt_too thumbnail

Gauriji laagta hain keh aap koh kai janwaroh neh kaafi tuqleef pohocayee hohgi. Unkih tarf seh maafi maangtay hain   Lekin Gauriji, insaan jaisa aur koi khatarnaak janwar nahi hain iis duniya mein.  Hamara buss chaltah toh pehelay iss "bhejaywale" doh pairoh keh janwar koh hee duniya keh subb sey baadey zoo mein bund kurr keh ticket bechna shuru kaartay.

Waisay bhi haamari jails toh kafi khatarnak insaan naam keh janwaroh seh bharey padaay hain, joh jail baith keh khatay-peetayhai, TV dekhatayhai, kitabay pudhtayhai, awwal durzeh kih gym isstemaal kartayhai, aur hurr huftay nayee movies fokut mein bhi dekh laytayhain.  

Haa inn janwaroh keh liyeh neutering aur euthanasia.....accha khayal hain.    Bahut hee accha khayal hain.  Iss long weekend peh iss baat koh tuffseel seh sochaengay.  You have a great trip, but looks like you will miss the drama on JJWS.  ๐Ÿ˜Š

Originally posted by: instantkhichdi

Aapke anusaar kya bekasur janwaro ko chidiyaghar mein rakhkar 'saza dena' sahi hai? Unko bhagwaan ka diya keemtee jeewan pinjaray mein bitaanaa padtaa hai... Isn't death better than such life?

I think soo too....Such hai yaaar, animals do not belong in a chidiyaghar. (lekin some ppl belong chidiyaghar mein lol)...

Really tho, animals need to be free, i dont think we should lock up animals for entertainment etc..๐Ÿ˜ญ .... I will never go to a circus, i dont support the abuse of animals...I dont even wear leather...๐Ÿ˜›

bunbutt_too thumbnail

AsliiGuy aur instantkhichdiji Hindi mein "zoo" koh "chidiyaghar" kyun kehetay hain? Aaqhir in gharoh mein chidiya keh aalawa bade bade janwar bhi hotay hain, aur woh kabhi udtay nahi ๐Ÿ˜•